banned
    Jan 2012

Searching info: Rock Shox Mag 21 LongTravel

Im looking for info about this fork, How can it be adjusted, and what should be the setup?

mtbr member
    I assume you are asking about setting oil height and air pressure? I had a few different Mag 20/21 forks in the day and I always ran the oil height a little lower than stock for a more linear spring rate. I also ran thin oil, I think 2.5wt. For the long travel kit, I don't remember what I ran the oil height at compared to stock, but I might suggest setting it at the same height with the fork bottomed out, and see if the spring rate suits you.

That is one thing I liked about the Mag forks; you could fiddle with the oil height and weigh very easily to tune them in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Like Polk says, you can change oil weight and height as well as air pressure. Google Mag21 manual - it has oil volumes for normal and long travel versions.

If you let us know what you don't like about how the fork is currently working for you we may be able to suggest some changes.

Otherwise, I have set these up by doing the following in this order:

1. Give the fork a service with new oils and set levels as recommended in the manual. Make sure everything is mechanically A1 before going any further.

2. set the air pressure so you don't harshly bottom out of the largest obstacle in your normal ride.

3. If that pressure results in the fork riding too low in the travel then up the oil volumes in each leg by 5ml at a time to make it more progressive. Alternatively, if you're getting too much initial stiction and can't bottom the fork out then then drop the oil level and air pressure.

4. If the fork feels under-damped then go a heavier weight oil or vice-versa.

I've got some mag 21 service/setup info here.

mtbr member
    There was a kit to chage travel from 48 to 63, if I remember right!!

banned
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for all the info, Im actually looking for the user manual but I cant find it on the internet.
    [btw @ Tigword, nice site!]