mtbr member

Schwinn Straight 6

I know it's not retro or classic but it is vintage for a Schwinn fully. Picked this up today along with a bunch of other bike parts and have left inquiries at other forums here but no luck so far, I'm impatient I know. Heres the deal, there is a bolt on brake adapter which moves the caliper to the bottom of the chainstay, probably for brake jack issues and is sealed bearing/CNC machined made to fit the stay perfectly with a couple of added parts to compensate for the added intrusion to the wheel bearing area but there is an original normal brake bolt on feature existing. Any info on this part? Also has EDCO rear hub and a HB....? front hub. Any ideas about the HB front? Rock Shox Psylo Race fork, M950 no logo crankset and Grimeca brake rotors. Another feature is the shifters, they have Shimano on them but like nothing I've ever seen. I'll add the pics of those if anyone wants to see them. I bought this to give to a friend after I build it but I really don't want to let it go if it's something special as I have many oldies/goodies that don't have the qualities this has. And NO, it's not for sale.

photo IMG_1714_zpsfcc11406.jpg

photo IMG_1713_zps94892f17.jpg
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    judging by the picture, it appears that you don't even need the bolt on mount- the black piece appears to be factory and has disc tabs. Why not try it as intended and work from there?
    Check Bonus Tomato for more info on all of these bikes.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    HB = Hayes Brakes, at least that's an acronym I see on the current crop of cheapo mechanicals, so it's a fair guess?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    You might have better luck searching for it as a 4 Banger, as implied on the carbon swing arm.

The small brake linkage with the hole came off a Yeti DH8 / Schwinn Straight 8. The rest I don't know.

the original
    Jan 2004
    If you google there is an old thread about the brake mount, apparently was used on team 4 bangers ~ 2000. Any clue why bike has a 4 banger rear end on a 2001 straight 6 front triangle?
    Help control the pet population, have you pets spayed and neutered

Certified Bike Junkie
    Because they tended to break. And, they were interchangable.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Thanks all. Now we're getting some traction on this Frankenstein. Hayes sounds about right for the crude machining on the hub MendonCycleSmith. Seems the bike was put together with a bunch of parts that were laying around or by some team for a lower class rider who got the leftovers. Hard to see but the right dropout is unpainted so leads me to believe they broke often as muddybuddy states. In any event, the bike is solid without dents, dings or cracks so my friend wins. Not bad for a $50 almost complete bike that will be loved by the new owner. I'll post pics when complete....
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    I have one. Great bike! I really want to figure out how to restore the carbon swingarm - mine is covered in scratches. But it appears like it's a clear plastic/cover on top of the carbon. Not sue how to go about it. Of course, one option is to just ride the damn thing regardless. :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Righty-ho!

The black dropout is the late-spec magnesium one with IS mounts. Early ones are 22mm Hayes mount.

Yep, 4 and 6 have interchangable rear ends.

To restore the carbon you will have to gently sand it down with, say, 1200 grit and then use a UV resistant lacquer. Be very careful if you are removing the bearings as the swingarm needs supporting whilst doing this or you could damage the swingarm.

I'm in the process of attempting to fit a 6-way swinger with remote reservoir, utilising a custom linkage, to take it upto 6.7" rear travel so to say I know a few things about these beasts is bit of an understatement!! I'm also awaiting a response from Mert Lawwill as I am also designing a full suspension frame that utilises a pseudo-lawwill rear end.

John

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Oh yeah, the dropouts don't tend to break it was the welds/pinch bolt swingarm clamps that used to break on the early versions.

IIRC that is an Brake Therapy aftermarket floating brake kit and very nice too! It helps prevent brake jack at the rear which isn't actually as bad as some make out.

The Straight-8 / Yeti Lawwills had a similar setup.

BTW the 4-banger is the closest to Mert's original design as it can get (Mert's own words!) with the others being bas*ardised versions imposed by Schwinn/Yeti..........not that I'd call the Yeti versions anything but beautiful!

History lesson over!!

John

mtbr member
    John, thank you for that information. And I'd love to see your creation - please post pics!