mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Schwinn Mirada???

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and also to the mountain bike riding. I picked up a Schwinn Mirada from my father in law, and i cleaned it up a bit. The bike really seems to be a nice one, but i was wondering how I go about trying to upgrade the front forks with some of the shock type forks? Or any info on the mirada as i've searched the net, but can't find to much info. I'm going to be using this bike until i get enough money to buy a newer and nicer one but for the time being, this will have to do. Any info would be great.
    Thanks,
    Marv

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Keep It Stock

Unless you already have a fork, or can get one from a friend inexpensively I wouldn't bother adding suspension to it. The cost of that 'upgrade' would likely be more than the original retail of the bike.
    Riding it rigid will improve your riding skills. Suspension forks can be nice for bombing down really rough trails but they are by no means necessary.
    Have fun logging some riding time on that bike and start saving for a better one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks shayne. i'll do just that. anybody else with some info on the Schwinn Mirada??

slow
    I sold those new for several years. They were 1 or 2 steps above the entry level in the Schwinn line. Upgrades from the Mesa Runner, one level below, included alloy hubs, better tires, and an index shifting upgrade. I agree with Shayne: Just get out and ride it like it is, have fun, learn bike handling skills, and save for a different bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks for the helpful words.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    anybody else have any info on the Schwinn Mirada? I've looked, and can't seem to find info on the bike.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLVO S70
    anybody else have any info on the Schwinn Mirada? I've looked, and can't seem to find info on the bike.
    Thats usually not a good sign.

To be honest, it's not really worth your time to keep trying to get more info.
    If you want, post up a picture and we can usually date and figure out where the bike falls in a line up.

Shayne and sgltrak's advice is spot on.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i'll try to get a pic up of the bike. thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Enjoy it for what it is.............I wouldnt stick any money into it. When we sold em new they weren't even considered off road worthy.

What is cool is that you are into riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by surlytman
    Enjoy it for what it is.............I wouldnt stick any money into it. When we sold em new they weren't even considered off road worthy.

What is cool is that you are into riding!

i'm not planning on investing any money outside of the normal, like new hand grips, better pedals, and probably a better saddle. at least the pedals and saddle i can take off if I have too. but yah, it's cool because now i'm off my a$$ and at least working out a little by riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLVO S70
    Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and also to the mountain bike riding. I picked up a Schwinn Mirada from my father in law, and i cleaned it up a bit. The bike really seems to be a nice one, but i was wondering how I go about trying to upgrade the front forks with some of the shock type forks? Or any info on the mirada as i've searched the net, but can't find to much info. I'm going to be using this bike until i get enough money to buy a newer and nicer one but for the time being, this will have to do. Any info would be great.
    Thanks,
    Marv

The Mirada first appeared in the 1985 Schwinn catalog. That year, the top of the line model was the Cimarron. From there down it was the High Sierra, Sierra, Mirada and Mesa Runner. I believe the Mirada was made into the early 90's, so it's hard to say what year yours is from without a photo.
    As everyone else suggested, ride it and save for a better bike. Don't put any major $$$ into upgrades.

Craig

Mirada
    Sep 2014

New question here.

bought a 1985 mirada new, attached specs I found on web. I still have it. road it like crazy for first to years in phoenix, AZ mostly on street but sometimes with son on his bmx bike. Past 6 years I bought a nw road bike, computer sized, and found out mirada was too large a frame, no wonder I never could total get comfortable on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwinn Mirada???-1985_schwinn_mirada_specs_.jpg