dr0
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Saying Goodbye: 1983 Stumpjumper

Saying Goodbye:  1983 Stumpjumper-stumpy1.jpg

After 35 years I decided to part with my 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper. After the brake bosses on the front fork failed about 15 years ago I did a frame-up rebuild, including professional paint-job. (Original color was a charcoal grey with white decals.)

A bunch of the original parts were replaced along the way, including the front fork. (It never rode quite as nicely after, in part because the trail with the replacement fork was too small.)

I found a good home for it, giving it to the proprietor of Velo Cult, a local shop here in Portland that has about 30 vintage bikes on display, everything from old mountain bikes like this to a mag-wheel equipped BMX side-hack rig, probably also from the early 1980s.

I think he's going to restore it, which pleases me greatly. I have a bunch of other bikes, and want to clear out space in the garage for other stuff (including a new mountain bike, eventually.)

It was a great run, the frame is still in fantastic shape, and I'm happy it's gone to someone who appreciates it for the classic it is.

1983 was the 3rd year of Stumpjumper production. The 1981 is often credited with being the first production mountain bike. The 1983 was the first year of the lugged frames, which many people prefer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice story, sounds like its going to a good home.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    For anyone that is around the northwest and hasn't been to velocult it is definitely worth a trip. They have some really cool stuff in there and good beers on tap to boot!!