bikespotter

... and if we just ... Saracen Trekker Comp Circa 1989

My latest steed,
    been searching for one of these for a while and it arrived a couple of days ago.

saracen trekker comp, I originally was after a pea green one but this will put me on until I come across one, Saracen were pretty big in the UK in the early years but they have let the quality slip over the years.

after a quick clean it appears to be all deore II except for the DX sti , not too bad condition either still got the original wolber/saracen AT20 rims , saddle has no rips and it still has one of the farmer johns up front as well. (even the reflectors are original , black painted steel to match )

89-90 catalog here =
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=501

I put the DX comp pedals on after but I do have some original Deore II beartraps that need a serious resto job that should go great with this, oh yes and I think the Sti is changing to thumbies asap.

Sorry about the first picture quality, I used my camera phone and must have moved a bit , I will get a better photo soon

Wanted -girvin cranks, tubular steel - not the standard alloy ones

John Galt
    Cool find. Gotta love front U-brakes!

bikespotter
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    Cool find. Gotta love front U-brakes!
    Yep, thats the reason I wanted one ,
    I know its no lightweight but its a good solid workhorse and it can stop just like that

originally was after this green one that I had ridden as a younger self , the 1989 version but I have been told this is a 1990 version because it is black???
    Could this be right with deore II fitted vurtually throughout ?, I thought deore II ended in 1989 .

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    I can't really get over the irony of U-Brakes being spec'd front AND rear on a UK bike...

bikespotter
    I take it you mean the crappy british weather creating that thick U-brake clogging mud

Guess they just wanted to try something different from the other british stuff.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobikeguy
    Yep, thats the reason I wanted one ,
    I know its no lightweight but its a good solid workhorse and it can stop just like that.

originally was after this green one that I had ridden as a younger self , the 1989 version but I have been told this is a 1990 version because it is black???
    Could this be right with deore II fitted vurtually throughout ?, I thought deore II ended in 1989.
    Of couse, the presence of U-brakes means the frame is rollercam compatible. My Paramountain actually had F&R U-brakes when I got it, but I found some rollercams to swap on - mostly because that's what Ned used on his Paramountain and also because, well, I'd never had 'em before...