mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Santa Cruz Heckler - Made in the USA

Well a few weeks ago I picked up a Santa Cruz Heckler frame with the intensions of building my first full suspension ride. The frame had a bottom bracket only, which was messed up but I got it off with an impact wrench. My plan is to transfer all parts from my Rocky Mountain Fusion which I have upgraded over the years. Pretty excited with how this is turning out so far. Once the heckler is complete, I will see how I like the full suspension effect, if so and if it needs a bit of upgrading I will do as my budget allows over time. Here are some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Heckler - Made in the USA-abbotsford-20150117-00796.jpg  

Santa Cruz Heckler - Made in the USA-abbotsford-20150126-00874.jpg  

mtbr member
    Cool rig. Although, your Heckler is possibly a bit newer than most rides on this forum, there is nothing wrong with an American made Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Nice bike, but I'm not sure full suspension bike that old is the best way to decide if full suspension is for you or not. Modern full suspension bikes have come a long way. That said, I'd rather ride an old Heckler than just about any hard tail or rigid bike on technical trails. (even if that's not a popular opinion in the VRC forum)

mtbr member
    What Benster said.
    Technology dragass

VRC Illuminati
    Dsnow makes a really good point as well. Dated suspension bikes/technology really works against you here.

In it's day, it was a killer bike. You could probably eek out some life/miles with a really good shock and fork...but otherwise, unless you are specific to vintage...get the newest full suspension bike you can afford if you find it's something you enjoy.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005

Defender of the single pivot...

I'm a huge fan of the Heckler and Superlight models.

Single pivot suspension has been around for a long time and there are good and bad examples. There are suspension designs these days that, especially if you listen to the marketing, will ride like a hardtail when you need it, and be as plush as a downhill bike when you want it, and will make you an espresso in its spare time. But the good old single pivot works if you set it up right.

The pivot point on the Heckler is a good one, it works well. If you were to make one upgrade then I'd splash out on a Fox Air Shock, a RP23 is a good option but a even a Float with lock out will be an improvement. 7.875" with 50mm stroke should be the size you need. An air shock will allow you to fine tune the spring rate.

I have a 2000 Superlight, a 2010 Superlight and a 2003 Bullit. A mate of mine has a Heckler the same vintage as yours, same colour too!

Grumps

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice good to hear, thanks for the info on the Fox Air Shock, I will look into it. I have taken tomorrow off of work, so I should have everything complete and hopefully one test spin under my belt. I will add a few pics then

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Dsnow makes a really good point as well. Dated suspension bikes/technology really works against you here.

In it's day, it was a killer bike. You could probably eek out some life/miles with a really good shock and fork...but otherwise, unless you are specific to vintage...get the newest full suspension bike you can afford if you find it's something you enjoy.
    Really??? Some of the bikes you guys ride and your giving the OP sh#t for building a Hekler?? Seriously???? Wow!!!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBuffs View Post
    Really??? Some of the bikes you guys ride and your giving the OP sh#t for building a Hekler?? Seriously???? Wow!!!
    The OP said this was his first duallie and he was looking forward to seeing how it worked out for him.

Others said that, as mighty as the Heckler was in its day, suspension has come a long way and if the OP wanted to get a real feel for what a duallie was capable of, some of the more modern suspension bikes would be a better place to start.

Nobody gave the OP sh!t, nobody criticised the Heckler as a bike.

For what it's worth, I think those Hecklers (and other similar single pivot bikes) ride damn well if set up right.

I think you've misinterpreted the advice others gave as criticisms. It wasn't and I think you've jumped the gun. That's as polite as I get, because I ride single pivot Santa Cruzes that means I'm so damn cool I don't have to take sh!t.

End of motherlovin' argument. Back to the frickin' Heckler.

Grumps

Grumps

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBuffs View Post
    Yep, no nasty going on here.

Either your kidding around tone got misconstrued by the use of excessive punctuation, or you really missed the tone of the discussion.

Grumps, I'm with you. Single pivot and loving it. All these multi link swiss army knife bikes doing everything meh, and nothing great. Don't even get me started on the number of these that come through the shop with every bolt on every linkage loose. Ridiculous.

As for rear shocks, I'm more of a Rock Shox guy. Fox tends to be more spiky, whereas the RS offerings are a bit softer edged, allowing the active attributes of SP to really shine!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just heard back from Santa Cruz, my frame is a 2000 (front triangle) and the swingarm is a 2002 - 2006 generation.

mtbr member
    I remember seeing a Santa Cruz full-suspension bike being ridden at Tahoe is '95 or '96 and thinking that it was the coolest bike I'd ever seen. I felt lucky to be ridding a bike with a Manitou 3 front fork after riding rigid. Seeing a FS bike that I'd only seen in magazines was cool. I had a similar experience when I saw my first Amp "in the wild."
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Alright I have successfully transferred all the components from my Rocky Mountain Fusion over to my Santa Cruz Heckler, just have to do some fine tuning on the drivetrain, but otherwise it is all done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Heckler - Made in the USA-abbotsford-20150130-00892.jpg  

Santa Cruz Heckler - Made in the USA-abbotsford-20150130-00890.jpg  

Santa Cruz Heckler - Made in the USA-abbotsford-20150130-00888.jpg