Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VRC Illuminati

Salsa Content, Otis Guy Content, Drop Bar Content, Ride Content

I'm really bad about bringing the camera out on rides, let alone taking shots...but Salsa-Luma and I managed to get a few.

Luma's getting settled in on his first drop bar project. His second ride out on this Salsa after a few adjustments (including going from suspension to rigid).

This was also my second ride out on the revamped Otis from the dorky riser bars to RM-2/WTB drops, Potts LD stem, and sausage link shifter mounts. (Thanks Black Mountain Cycles!)

We're about the same height so the bikes are set up similar. Swapping bikes for sections of trail and its amazing how different the geometry feels on the 85 vs. the 98. Both bikes feel super comfortable...just...different.

We also ran into a group of 10 hikers or so...and they were about as nice as I've experienced on the trail. Its nice to have that happen.

Anyway, a few shots. Location: Saratoga Gap, Saratoga, Ca.

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

mtbr member

I'm jealous!

That 2nd pic is awesome. Thanks for sharing your bikes!

It's soil, not dirt!
    Why'd ya have to go and do that!? Now I really want to get me a drop bar setup!
    Sweet rides, both of 'em!

-Tell me more about these 'sausage link' shifter mounts, looks like a sweet setup.

clueless
    cool bikes and great pics stylish outfit. lobster gloves and poobah's, thanks for sharing.

ciao
    flo

McNears-DTB Schooner
    That was fast! Great ride buddy...

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy

Where did you get that stem? I'd like to convert my 89 Rockhopper to a drop bar bike. Already have the Shimano 7 sp barcons. Really nice job on both bikes.

Tim

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by floibex
    cool bikes and great pics stylish outfit. lobster gloves and poobah's, thanks for sharing.

ciao
    flo
    Yeah but you lose style points for the twisted up helmet straps

Nice rides. Do those long stems flex much?
    something's missing..

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    The "sausage link" shift adapter was made by WTB for Suntour shifters in the mid 80s. Very simple.

Salsa-Luma - have you tried rotating the bars so the drop section is point back towards the rear axle? It looks like the drop section is pretty flat. You might experiment with the angle a little bit.

Cool photos, ER!

mtbr member

Looks nice. Looks like SL could benefit from some padding in the drops and maybe the levers moved down a bit rather than in the road position. SSMike did a nice job on the OG. Most notably the bar wrap job. I need to have him do mine as Im no roadie.

How'd you like the shifters in that position? I think its one of the best shifting setups Ive ever ridden. Very ergonomic even for shifting while railing the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    The "sausage link" shift adapter was made by WTB for Suntour shifters in the mid 80s. Very simple.

Cool photos, ER!

A pretty simple piece, but the harder part comes in getting it all to mount up on a drop bar. I love my sausage links. Excellent shifting, friction or not:

Photobucket

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nice timing on the drop bar thread. I just received my On One Midge bars yesterday. They're going on my 700c touring bike that I've been running with cross tires and hitting the trails occasionally. Once I got my hands on them, I couldn't help but to start thinking about getting another set for one of my mtbs.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Hey Salsa,

Looks like Paul at Rock Lobster really did you right with that riser stem...goes great w/the matching white gloves! Sorry to have missed meeting you and Rumpfy at the Mill Valley Swap and the FFTF. A nasty poison oak rash and resulting cortisone shot kept me away from the action this year. Beware of Upper Steven's Creek, it is overgrown with the stuff

McNears-DTB Schooner
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    Yeah but you lose style points for the twisted up helmet straps

Nice rides. Do those long stems flex much?
    Hey don't be knockin my hasty helmet action... As you can see I am overly concerned about cycle gear style!

McNears-DTB Schooner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Looks nice. Looks like SL could benefit from some padding in the drops and maybe the levers moved down a bit rather than in the road position.
    Yep, Eric and I were discussing that very thing while we were riding. First drop setup for me and yes I used my cross bike as the main point of setup reference. That was wrong, but I am learning...

McNears-DTB Schooner

Salsa-Luma - have you tried rotating the bars so the drop section is point back towards the rear axle? It looks like the drop section is pretty flat. You might experiment with the angle a little bit.

Cool photos, ER!
    yeah, Mike I am planning to work out those mistakes. I sure could use some hands on finishing by you. I'll be resetting the bars, levers and stealing for grip padding technique. Thanks for the tips!
    BTW- it was great hangin out at your shop. I was overwhelmed!

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    We also ran into a group of 10 hikers or so...and they were about as nice as I've experienced on the trail. Its nice to have that happen.
    Interesting. Do you think it was the drop bars that didn't seem as threatening? I've had many similar experiences too.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by salsa-luma
    yeah, Mike I am planning to work out those mistakes. I sure could use some hands on finishing by you. I'll be resetting the bars, levers and stealing for grip padding technique. Thanks for the tips!
    BTW- it was great hangin out at your shop. I was overwhelmed!
    Fun having you guys up here. Don't hesitate to drop me a line with any questions.

McNears-DTB Schooner
    Fun having you guys up here. Don't hesitate to drop me a line with any questions.
    For sure Mike...

artistic...
    Interesting. Do you think it was the drop bars that didn't seem as threatening? I've had many similar experiences too.
    it's cause Rumpfy has a feminine side to him that's non threatening.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

artistic...
    nice bikes. nice roads. beautifull lake. beautifull pics.

life is good.

artistic...
    Looks nice. Looks like SL could benefit from some padding in the drops and maybe the levers moved down a bit rather than in the road position. SSMike did a nice job on the OG. Most notably the bar wrap job. I need to have him do mine as Im no roadie.

How'd you like the shifters in that position? I think its one of the best shifting setups Ive ever ridden. Very ergonomic even for shifting while railing the rough stuff.
    yes. shift the brake levers down a bit and it feels like heaven!

is it me or cantis work much better w/ drop bar shifters?

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    yes. shift the brake levers down a bit and it feels like heaven!

is it me or cantis work much better w/ drop bar shifters?
    Canti's work well with drop bars because brake levers are usually set up so you pull them at the end where the leverage is best.

Most folks set up flat bar brake levers with their fingers in the bend of the brake lever where leverage is the worst.

artistic...
    Canti's work well with drop bars because brake levers are usually set up so you pull them at the end where the leverage is best.

Most folks set up flat bar brake levers with their fingers in the bend of the brake lever where leverage is the worst.
    i can modulate them perfectly...
    Attached Images Attached Images

VRC Illuminati

Luma already checked in, but ya...some bar rotation and brake lever adjustment and it should improve the feel IMHO. Beyond that, the Salsa felt really good.

Mike did a killer job on the OG...but that was to be expected. I had no problem with the shifters in that position at all. I got used to it pretty quick. The only issue is that that old M700 stuff just doesn't shift like the M730/M732 XT...so there's a bit more finesse needed. The only other thing I noticed is that the throw is pretty long so you have to crank it to catch the big ring in front or back. Basically you can't emergency shift. Shift smart and its no issue.

I had the OG on some much tighter single track the day before and its a bit slow for that kind of riding. Flowy single track and fireroads and she's fine. I kinda dig that slack geometry. Even aired it out a bit.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    it's cause Rumpfy has a feminine side to him that's non threatening.

I can't help that I'm that good looking. Its a curse.
    -eric-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast