mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sachs New Success Der. + Plus Shimano shifter = ?

Will a Sachs New Success rear derailleur, road or mountain, work with Shimano-compatible 8sp MTB shifters?
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes, really well. The New Success stuff was really pretty nice. It will will last forever.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Which shifters did you use? And I may not have mentioned- I think this is a road derailleur.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Works great. Put locite on every screw and bolt on that thing. Mine came apart, multiple times, on the trail!
    Trade: My 17" c2c Fat Chance Monster Fat in Fair condition for same in 18- 19"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ran thumbies on an 8 spd cass. I can't remember that they differentiated b/t road and mtn.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Absolutely not. Now send it to me.

Just kidding. I ran the road and mountain versions (short cage vs. long cage) with Grip Shift X-Rays and Deore thumbies and both worked great. Just make sure your largest cog isn't over 28 teeth if your using the road version.

mtbr member
    As already noted, Sachs New Success mtb derailleurs work beautifully with shimano shifters.

However, I think I remember reading somewhere that the road shifters pull an amount of cable somewhere between the amount of ultegra and campy, so the road derailleur may not work with shimano mtb shifters. Haven't tried it though, so I can't say for sure.