mountaingoatcycles.com

Rocky Mountain Weasel Trials? Courier?

Interesting bike but we haven't been able to track down definitive information about it. I talked to the folks at Rocky Mountain and they are coming up with a Courier prototype bike that had some type of swinging pedal extensions. One of the previous owners also talked to the Rocky Mountain folks and they say it is a prototype trials bike. Either one would explain the 15.5" bottom bracket height. We added the pedals so there is no way to know if there were extensions on there at one time. One interesting feature is the modified front derailleur cage that has been lengthened to conform better to the 500 CX crank with 30/40/50 chain rings. The larger rings would tend to lean more towards the courier bike than trials?

Either way, it is a very nicely built frame but with moderate quality parts. Any other ideas?

Many more pictures and details @ MOMBAT: 1991 Rocky Mountain Weasel

Chucklehead
    awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    WOW! can't be too many of those around, and there you have one. hey, i didn't think you folks collected canadian bikes? you better send that to me! 'first flight north' waddaya think? ;o) seriously, very cool find, like so many you seem to scoop. nice fillet brazing...

mtbr member
    I remember a similar bike hanging up in the lunch room at Rocky Mountain back in 1991. Might have been this bike, it had some crank arm extensions that rotated. I'm told they were called power cranks and the idea was that it extends the length of the power stroke. Good score.

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbotoad View Post
    WOW! can't be too many of those around, and there you have one. hey, i didn't think you folks collected canadian bikes? you better send that to me! 'first flight north' waddaya think? ;o) seriously, very cool find, like so many you seem to scoop. nice fillet brazing...
    This is our first "true" Canuckian bike. We have/had the Canada-only lugged Ritchey and imported Team Fat Chance but those don't really count. Haven't been trying to avoid them but they don't seem to travel this far south.

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sansarret View Post
    I remember a similar bike hanging up in the lunch room at Rocky Mountain back in 1991. Might have been this bike, it had some crank arm extensions that rotated. I'm told they were called power cranks and the idea was that it extends the length of the power stroke. Good score.
    That sounds possible. There were supposedly only 2 or 3 of these frames made and this may be the only surviving one and/or the only one built into a full frame. Still the 2 competing opinions of what the bike actually was designed to do, and both of them seem equally plausible.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight View Post
    This is our first "true" Canuckian bike. We have/had the Canada-only lugged Ritchey and imported Team Fat Chance but those don't really count. Haven't been trying to avoid them but they don't seem to travel this far south.
    What was the Canadian Only Lugged ritchey? I had a lugged ritchey back in 1986-87 but it was stolen in 1988 and I really missed that bike. An Ultra I think.

Edit: I looked at your site but that is not the bike I had. Mine was lugged but the seat cluster was brazed at the seat clamp.
    Try this: HTFU

velocipede technician
    the old wheelsmith(retail) museum has/had the extensions your looking for

I think they're on a Hamilton in the warehouse now
    looking for 20-21" P team

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    the old wheelsmith(retail) museum has/had the extensions your looking for

I think they're on a Hamilton in the warehouse now
    What happened to them? I remember reading something about them closing/selling/moving? Any pictures of the extensions? How could we get in contact with them?

mtbr member
    Would trying to figure out who "Bill-B" is help any?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd ask the guy who made it and settle it once and for all. Anybody have Billy B's email?

mtbr member
    I am totally in love with this bike. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Thanks (sort of) for posting....gives me something else to desire/covet!
    Looking for a TNT Titanium front hub....

mtbr member
    Wasn't there an aluminum production version of this bike?

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by guywitharitchey View Post
    I'd ask the guy who made it and settle it once and for all. Anybody have Billy B's email?
    That would be one potential way to solve it. Anybody have contact info??