mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Rockshox Mag 21 maintenance, tuning and modifications

If anyone's got any information on maintaining, tuning or otherwise modifying the old Rockshox Mag 21, I'd love to hear it.

I've started this thread in the hope that it would aggregate a lot of good information on keeping the Mag 21's running and hopefully improving their performance. I don't use one myself, but my kids do. To date, the Mag 21 has been really good, but recently as my youngest daughter has started to ride more aggressively and tackle tougher trails, the stock Mag 21 is showing its limitations. As a result I've had to take a long hard look at the fork in an attempt to bring it up to par.

To get the ball rolling, I've got some info on doing a standard Mag 21 service and also making the long travel mod.

I'm now working on a "solo air" type conversion but it's currently a work-in-progress so the info will probably change as I get things dialled in and know what works and what doesn't. One thing I am trying to do is to keep the mods reversable, so if I ever need that absolutely period correct Mag 21 when the my youngest is finished with the fork then I can just put it back to the way it came.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    As you probably know the quadra and indy forks have interchangable parts and crowns,I've cut out the lightweight indy sl legs and put them in quadra legs internal depths differ and I had to cut down the indy stanctions from 27cm to 20cm this makes a real lightweight fork in hindsight just shortening the indy legs may of been a better option the indy sl offers the most tyre clearance,other alternatives are the aftermarket braces on mag series models etc,If you like to recycle older forks and need disc brakes consider the early judy forks.early sid fork stantions will fit in older judy crowns if you chop out the top

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I bought a mag20 new in '91, raced it for 2 years then ran it for a long time after until I finally blew out a seal at Whistler. It's hanging in my shop waiting for me to get to it. I bought a nice used mag21 cheap on CL, I think it's going to go on The Ibis Alibi I have on standby for my 9yr old son for when he grows into it, -but it might be too short for that frame.
    I always liked that shock, it's just a mini-motorcycle shock, for xc you just need to take the 'edge' off the bumps imo so long travel is not really necessary. I had good luck racing it, and I weighed about 175 at that time, I think I usually ran it with about 45psi. What psi are you running?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a Mag20 that has been used very little. Luckily it's a 1-1/8" steerer, so it'll work on newer bikes. I'll have to check into servicing it before I ride it though.