mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Rock Shox Mag 21 dust shields or boots

I recently inherited a set of Mag 21 forks and installed them on my 93 GT Zaskar. The forks are in decent condition with no oil\air leaking and the forks are cosmetically in decent shape as well. They certainly make the bike handle better than the 80mm bombers that were originally on the bike thats for sure. The problem I have is that the forks don't have dust shields or boots, which is really a bad plan for riding off road.

So...anyone know of a compatible boot that would fit the fork, or perhaps a place to buy a set of dust shields? I know that enduro sells the seals, but in this case the seals are fine and its the dust shields I am looking for. Based on information I ran across during my searches I think that the later 94-95 forks that came with boots did not have the dust shields from the factory and I am guessing thats the deal here. I was wondering if Mag 20 dust shields would fit the mag 21? Anyway any information of possible solutions for either item would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    You have a PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks richieb!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Got tons of boots. Never liked them, usually remove them from forks with proper seals on the sliders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Got tons of boots. Never liked them, usually remove them from forks with proper seals on the sliders.
    I know a lot of folks don't like using fork boots. Over the years I have had forks with boots and some with just dust shields. Cant say I really ever noticed any major difference in performance either way personally. Unfortunately I dont have dust shields either so crap just collects down in the fork leg as a result and that's a sure way to collect grit that will kill the seals sooner than later. As a guy who grew up riding 70's vintage enduro bikes, I love the way the old ceriani bootless style forks look. That said, a boot can provide increased protection to the stanchions but need to be cleaned out periodically.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    richieb, I just responded to the pm you sent today, but your pm mailbox is full. Thanks for the response its appreciated!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by richieb
    You have a PM.