mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Road bike / touring bike rebuild

Hi guys,

I was thinking today that I might have a few oldies in my barn that I might want to rebuild for use on the bike path (paved) / road. If I do indeed still have these bikes, they will be at least 15 - 20 years out of use, stored in a barn.

Now, I'm not particular about keeping the bikes vintage nor am I a collector (these bikes wouldn't be sold either). I am, however, interested in getting a road bike, instead of using my off-road touring bike (ie: a now bastardized modified 29'er Revel 1). I would like to change it up every so often.

Ok, so backstory complete. When looking at the bike(s), what should I be looking for as far as which would be worth salvaging for riding? Would it be worth upgrading parts? If they're still there, I know they will have V brakes, would it be worth using disc brakes?

I am a complete noob at this stuff, and I guess the end question would be, would it be worth it to rebuild one of the bikes, or should I look at just getting a new one?

I know its not much info to go on as far as the conditions, but any thoughts / suggestions would be welcome at this point.

Thanks

Humanoid Lobster
    You've not given us any meaningful details at all, or pictures of the bikes in question.

And, I do not mean to be unwelcoming - but you do know this is a vintage Mountain Bike forum?
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yea.. I know its not much details on the bike(s); I'm just wondering if there is anything I should look out for before wasting time.

I figured the vintage place would be the place to go if I wanted tips on what to look for before doing a rebuild. If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

I might be able to pull them out tonight if they're still there and take a few snapshots of them (I know that'll help more than just this hugely vague description).

CS2
    mtbr member
    How about a vintage Gravel Grinder or Bruce Gordon Rock N Road style bike? They're vintage and off road capable. Good luck on whatever you do.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Got home and checked on those old bikes, NOT WORTH IT!

1 is a huffy road bike, 1 is a nikisha or something MTB, the other is a kmart short bus bike. Ah well.