Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Proud 2 Times BOTM Looser
    Reputation: badbushido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    172

    RM20 28 holes (1985ish rim)?

    Does anyone know whether the old logo RM20's (pre 89 red blue label) have been produced in a 28 holes version?
    Or do you know any other high quality rims from 1985 with 28 holes?
    ---------------------------------------



    Wanted M A N T I S Stem

    ___________________
    OLDSCHOOLRACING

  2. #2
    Neo-Retro Forever
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,572
    Nope - 36 hole only, I believe. I have seen some hard anno'd green/yellow label RM20s in 28 hole (came stock on the front of Haro Team Extreme in 89)...

    The best 28 hole ones I've seen are mavic 231 and 261's - a little later that you're looking, though.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,586
    Quote Originally Posted by badbushido
    Does anyone know whether the old logo RM20's (pre 89 red blue label) have been produced in a 28 holes version?
    Or do you know any other high quality rims from 1985 with 28 holes?
    in 1988 32 hole was cutting edge and risky. Keith Bontrager might have made something but otherwise, no.

  4. #4
    Dumpster Diver
    Reputation: YETIFIED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    in 1988 32 hole was cutting edge and risky. Keith Bontrager might have made something but otherwise, no.
    Josh Deetz as well.
    Stuart

    wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

  5. #5
    Certified Bike Junkie
    Reputation: muddybuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,741
    I have an extra set of Ritchey The Rock 440s but those aren't quite top of the line and no where near 1985, 1992ish I think.
    Last edited by muddybuddy; 12-14-2008 at 08:43 PM.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,939
    Have a NOS sets of both 28 hole Mavic 231's in argent (silver) and 117's laser etched and anodized w/ceramic sides.

    I think if memory serves me correctly...the Shimano M730 was the first Shimano group to offer a 28 hole hub.... so nothing as old as 85 unless it was an aftermarket manufacturer.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

  7. #7
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085

    Update on low spoke rims

    I was just reading a bit in an old Mountain Biking magazine that sparked a memory. There was not date on the scanned article, but I'm thinking it was from about 1988-89? In it they mentioned Specialized just coming out with their 28h rims. This would have probably the GX23. The timing of late 80s is also the time when I was on a ride in Moab with a group including Tom Hillard of NORBA/Specialized. At the time, he was riding on a set of 24 hole wheels.

    In that article I was reading, the bike mentioned was rolling on Bontrager cut-down 24h rims with American Classic hubs.

  8. #8
    Proud 2 Times BOTM Looser
    Reputation: badbushido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    I was just reading a bit in an old Mountain Biking magazine that sparked a memory. There was not date on the scanned article, but I'm thinking it was from about 1988-89? In it they mentioned Specialized just coming out with their 28h rims. This would have probably the GX23. The timing of late 80s is also the time when I was on a ride in Moab with a group including Tom Hillard of NORBA/Specialized. At the time, he was riding on a set of 24 hole wheels.

    In that article I was reading, the bike mentioned was rolling on Bontrager cut-down 24h rims with American Classic hubs.
    Thanks for this information, that was interesting to read.
    Just this week i purchased the wheel below on Ebay. I estimate it's from 1990.

    Why this thread? I have a Hi E hubset I wanted to put on my Mountainklein. The rear is a 36h, the front 28h (! If any roadie likes to trade...)
    I'm thinking about peeling off the decals from this non period correct rim.
    But this would be a very nice wheel if I'm going to find a Specialized Ultimate in my size one day.

    Story to be continued.



    ---------------------------------------



    Wanted M A N T I S Stem

    ___________________
    OLDSCHOOLRACING

  9. #9
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by badbushido
    Thanks for this information, that was interesting to read.
    Just this week i purchased the wheel below on Ebay. I estimate it's from 1990.

    Why this thread? I have a Hi E hubset I wanted to put on my Mountainklein. The rear is a 36h, the front 28h (! If any roadie likes to trade...)
    I'm thinking about peeling off the decals from this non period correct rim.
    But this would be a very nice wheel if I'm going to find a Specialized Ultimate in my size one day.

    Story to be continued.
    That's a sharp looking wheel. GX21, not the 23 would have probably been the 28h rim in my previous post.

    Someone who wold probably know more about wheels of that era than anyone would be Ric Hjertberg, who with his brother founded Wheelsmith - among other things. Ric is still in the bike biz previously as director of new technology at FSA, but continues to run Wheel Fanatyk.

    Looking forward to updates on the Mountainklein. Radial front, Radial left/X2 or X3 rear?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •