Thread: Ritchey sn P717

slower than you

Ritchey sn P717

I think I'm looking at a 1995ish Ritchey P-something (21?) bike. Have I got that right? Oldmountainbikes.com features a couple bikes with similar serials, purple paint, TIG-welds, and fastback stays that would imply I am (see: Old Mountain Bikes: Bike Listing), but I'm no expert at Ritchey numbers.

Ritchey sn P717-img_6611.jpg

Sadly, the bike has been "upgraded" in many respects (however the price was right: pay-it-forward free) and the original parts are nowhere to be found. Nevertheless clean XT topmounts and M735 series derailleurs are still in place. As you can see, below, the toptube has no model name printed on it, but the seattube still features the Ritchey Prestige and WCS badges. Downtube bears the Ritchey logo in good condition, too.

We'll see if the seatpost is fused when I get it home later...

Ritchey sn P717-img_6614.jpg

Any insights into helping me more accurately determine vintage appreciated.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

the new Gilbert Grape
    Getting the exact year on 90's Rtichey frames is difficult. There's not anything that really distinguishes one year from the next. The decals changed a little, but that's about it.

Look at the decals on the seat tube. If the tubing says "Nitanium" the frame is later in the run, my '95 says "Prestige by Tange," others will say "Ritchey Logic." Also look at the years listed under the stripes. If you see "1992" listed, you know it's newer than that.

Kandy Purple is listed in the '95 catalog and the other bikes with a similar Pnnn serial number cluster around '95, so that's a good bet (+/- a bit).
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

gobsmacked Moderator

Ritchey sn P717

No better advice than ^ . Great looking frame. Holler if you need parts for it. We like to help.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    No better advice than ^ . Great looking frame. Holler if you need parts for it. We like to help.
    I'd love to see a picture of the original rear brake cable-guide/cable-stop if anybody has a shot of it they can upload. Those v-brakes have got to go. And, obviously, I'd be stoked to make a deal on a kandy purple ritchey logic fork, too, if anyone's got one just laying around gathering dust.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    I'd love to see a picture of the original rear brake cable-guide/cable-stop if anybody has a shot of it they can upload.
    The hanger is part of the frame. It looks like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ritchey sn P717-20170503_121355.jpg  

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    The hanger is part of the frame. It looks like this:
    perfect. thanks. thot maybe there was some kind of a guide-ish sort of doohickie that went in there that had gone missing during "upgrades"

slower than you
    Nothing better than seeing a kid out for a shred on a bike that was born 10 years before she was.

Ritchey sn P717-img_0860a.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    Those v-brakes have got to go.
    If it is going to be a rider, I would keep the v-brakes. There is a reason v-brakes took over the world before disc brakes came out.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by outside! View Post
    There is a reason v-brakes took over the world before disc brakes came out.
    Yep, they were quicker and easier to set up and hard to set up poorly.

Properly set up cantis are a thing of beauty, with power and modulation and as good as any v-brake.

I'm not picking an argument about v-brakes, just sticking up for cantis and the time you have to devote to getting the idiosyncratic things right.

Anyway, that Ritchey is sweet, I love that colour because it reminds me of Mopar Plum Crazy.

Grumps

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    Yep, they were quicker and easier to set up and hard to set up poorly.

Properly set up cantis are a thing of beauty, with power and modulation and as good as any v-brake.

I'm not picking an argument about v-brakes, just sticking up for cantis and the time you have to devote to getting the idiosyncratic things right.

Anyway, that Ritchey is sweet, I love that colour because it reminds me of Mopar Plum Crazy.

Grumps
    Cantis are lighter too... and give better clearance for big tires.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    BTW, it's good to see it being ridden and enjoyed. I agree, a great color that you rarely see in modern (boring) mountain bikes...though not directly built by Tom, he'd still smile knowing a young rider is out there shredding on it. Cheers, that forest reminds me of parts of Montana, fun riding

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claus View Post
    ...though not directly built by Tom, he'd still smile knowing a young rider is out there shredding on it.
    Speaking of such things, what do y'all Ritchey-experts say it means/implies when the 1995 catalog claims, "Like all of Ritchey's hand finished bikes, the Crazy Pete receives the attention to detail and quality that Tom performs personally."?

http://oldmountainbikes.com/catalogs...hey1995_04.jpg

To what extent did Tom actually do the "finish work" on these imported P-bikes?
    Last edited by rockychrysler; 05-13-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1