Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 155
  1. #101
    John Galt
    Reputation: cegrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    Thank you all for the kind words!

    Happen to have any images of your Crazy Pete?

    Also, definitely more pics on the way. Wanted to have it 100% complete. Almost there!
    Here's a thread on mine:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/ritchey-desig...ly-474880.html

    Oddly, I never put in a pic with the downtube decals...will do that at some point.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tductape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,359
    Looks great Ben.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    Looks great Ben.

    Thank you senor!

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover View Post
    Here's a thread on mine:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/ritchey-desig...ly-474880.html

    Oddly, I never put in a pic with the downtube decals...will do that at some point.
    Very nice build you have there on that Ritchey. From 1 former ZCar owner to another...

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    P22 complete!

    First the disclaimer... Certainly there are some items not quite 100% correct for a 95 P22, but I believe its all at least era correct and dammit I am not very patient and I really want to get this bike on the trails! Current weight w/ pedals is @ 23.4lbs which isn't too shabby.

    Huge props to Double Century for his technical assistance and for offloading a few of his components. It really pays to reach out on this site for advice... Also, huge thanks to Rumpfy for the controversial wheelset . Thank you to Sky of Velocult. What an amazing resource for NOS items. I had no illusions I would ever end up with new Megabites! Last but not least, thank you to my wife who tolerates my insanity. I know 5 bikes is nothing compared to most of you in mtn bike vintage land, but in my particular household, it's plenty.

    Overall, I am quite pleased with the final outcome. I tried to give this bike its proper justice. We'll see how she handles on the trails. I know I can't wait to find out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ritchey P22 project...-p22-complete.jpg  


  6. #106
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,581
    I really like it Ben. Good for you! Don't worry about the number of bikes a person has, that's entirely overrated. There are some guys on this forum that I adore that have zero vintage bikes but they contribute a ton with their knowledge and enthusiasm and we all benefit from that.

    yay! Now go ride!

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Few more pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ritchey P22 project...-p22-complete-2.jpg  

    Ritchey P22 project...-p22-complete-3.jpg  

    Ritchey P22 project...-p22-complete-6.jpg  


  8. #108
    Certified Bike Junkie
    Reputation: muddybuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,746
    Looks awsome. I bet that's going to be a great rider. Is that Sweetwater or Otay Lake?
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Otay! About 10 homes away from me.

  10. #110
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,496
    Congrats Ben! Its been fun to watch the progression of this project. The love and excitement really translates.

    Look forward to your ride report and seeing it at K'Ville in a few months!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  11. #111
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Congrats Ben! Its been fun to watch the progression of this project. The love and excitement really translates.

    Look forward to your ride report and seeing it at K'Ville in a few months!
    We must have a party when you have 16000 posts!

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,732
    Sweet sixteen thousand?
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

  13. #113
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,496
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    We must have a party when you have 16000 posts!
    I'll make a special thread for it! Ten years on this forum (scary)...thats only 1600 posts a year....not too psycho. Right?
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chefmiguel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,500
    Nice bike Ben, have a lot of fun with it.

  15. #115
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I'll make a special thread for it! Ten years on this forum (scary)...thats only 1600 posts a year....not too psycho. Right?
    Am i ten yrs here as well? What is this? I have moved to another country and back in the mean time.

  16. #116
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,009
    I like the frame, the build and i like the pics, the light, the fence... Good stuff.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    WOW! I expected some criticism! I think you are all getting soft these days!

    Happy New Year!

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    WOW! I expected some criticism! I think you are all getting soft these days!

    Happy New Year!
    Needs Ritchey brakes and rims.

    As I mentioned before, nice looking bike. Rare color.

  19. #119
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    WOW! I expected some criticism! I think you are all getting soft these days!

    Happy New Year!
    you got that right. There's a San Andreas that is just begging for my comments.

  20. #120
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    WOW! I expected some criticism! I think you are all getting soft these days!

    Happy New Year!
    Oh...well....in that case.

    Front wheel is on backwards. 'XT' logo should be same direction as the rear wheel. Line the tire logos up with the valve stems.

    Silver Ritchey (Nitto) Force stem and Ritchey hanger instead of the black Ritchey stem from a Bridgestone. Though I did the same thing on my blue Ritchey because the integrated hanger is just so much cleaner.

    Ritchey headset over a CK. Of course the CK is functionally superior.

    Toe clips and straps on the pedals otherwise go to SPDs.


    Anyone can nit pick a bike to death though. I think the build you put on it is really close to fully correct with some user friendly selections for hours of reliable fun XC shredding!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  21. #121
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,581
    Yeah, the pedals.

  22. #122
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    P22 complete!

    First the disclaimer... Certainly there are some items not quite 100% correct for a 95 P22, but I believe its all at least era correct and dammit I am not very patient and I really want to get this bike on the trails! Current weight w/ pedals is @ 23.4lbs which isn't too shabby.

    Huge props to Double Century for his technical assistance and for offloading a few of his components. It really pays to reach out on this site for advice... Also, huge thanks to Rumpfy for the controversial wheelset . Thank you to Sky of Velocult. What an amazing resource for NOS items. I had no illusions I would ever end up with new Megabites! Last but not least, thank you to my wife who tolerates my insanity. I know 5 bikes is nothing compared to most of you in mtn bike vintage land, but in my particular household, it's plenty.

    Overall, I am quite pleased with the final outcome. I tried to give this bike its proper justice. We'll see how she handles on the trails. I know I can't wait to find out!

    Just oozes class ...
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tductape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,359
    I think these would look good on that bike. Too bad I am a hoarder.



    Stunning bike Ben.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    WOW! I expected some criticism! I think you are all getting soft these days!

    Happy New Year!

    AAAAND the saddle is ugly.

    But all in all, I dig the bike! Now all you have to do is get Tim to pony up the goods.
    (and get some toe-clips/straps)
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

  25. #125
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,009
    Ride report?

    You could place a longer stem there w/ the same 10º rise. 1cm longer. And move your saddle back a bit.

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    WOW! I expected some criticism! I think you are all getting soft these days!

    Happy New Year!
    Beautiful bike and job you did!
    Seat height?

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    546
    looks like a nice bike, and yeah don't forget to pay Eric for those wheels! hahahaa

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Nice! I take all the critique as constructive! Thanks all! BTW, is the seat really that ugly? I kinda like the thing.

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,732
    If you like it, go with it. Part of the aesthetic problem is it being so far forward on the rails. And personally, I just like Flites and Turbos and some of the other classic shapes. I think one of the Turbo-style Ritchey Logic saddles would look better.

    /nitpick off
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Well, I have a Turbo looking for a home. Perhaps, I will put it on to check it out.

  31. #131
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    Well, I have a Turbo looking for a home. Perhaps, I will put it on to check it out.
    140mm gold tinted wcs ritchey stem, same color as seatpost. Not expensive. If your stem is 130mm, it will improve fit by a large margin and have you move back the saddle back on it's rails. Downside? no cable hanger.

  32. #132
    shawnw
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    Nice! I take all the critique as constructive! Thanks all! BTW, is the seat really that ugly? I kinda like the thing.
    I like the saddle, it's original spec, and there comfy. I run them on all my 95-98 Ritchey's.
    I even keep spares for future Ritchey's.

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    140mm gold tinted wcs ritchey stem, same color as seatpost. Not expensive. If your stem is 130mm, it will improve fit by a large margin and have you move back the saddle back on it's rails. Downside? no cable hanger.
    Ya, will keep my eye open for a bit longer stem. Not changing the headset tho! Need integrated hanger included.

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    I finally managed to to take the P22 for its first real spin this past Sunday! Have to admit, it was really hard to take out in the somewhat muddy conditions over my full sus Stumpy. But it was well worth it! Oh my gawd, what a blast... Soooo smooth, snappy and balanced. Technical downhill was somewhat sketchy, but I don't believe it's the bike. Muddy, slippery conditions and completely different riding style to a modern rig will take some getting used to. Great climber and at just over 23lbs it should be. I now "get" the allure for P series bikes...

    Ben

    Ritchey P22 project...-02-10-13-dirty-p22.jpg

  35. #135
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,581

    Ritchey P22 project...

    Sweet, Ben! So excited for you. All ritchey ride!

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Thanks GOB!

  37. #137
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    I finally managed to to take the P22 for its first real spin this past Sunday! Have to admit, it was really hard to take out in the somewhat muddy conditions over my full sus Stumpy. But it was well worth it! Oh my gawd, what a blast... Soooo smooth, snappy and balanced. Technical downhill was somewhat sketchy, but I don't believe it's the bike. Muddy, slippery conditions and completely different riding style to a modern rig will take some getting used to. Great climber and at just over 23lbs it should be. I now "get" the allure for P series bikes...

    Ben

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02-10-13 Dirty P22.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	770799

    No, I'd say the sketchy assessment is pretty accurate. Or maybe a better way to say it is that you have to be checked in when up to speed and pointed down. It can get away from you if you're not on it.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  38. #138
    John Galt
    Reputation: cegrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,646
    Beauty, eh!!

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    No, I'd say the sketchy assessment is pretty accurate. Or maybe a better way to say it is that you have to be checked in when up to speed and pointed down. It can get away from you if you're not on it.

    Oh you mean like this?
    Name:  P23 over the bars.png
Views: 291
Size:  110.9 KB

  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Satanic Pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    82
    this thread was awesome. I want a classic rigid now. I have a 2000's rigid GT mtb and it's so much fun, but not nearly as classy as this!

    I have a modern Ritchey and love it. May Trolling of classifieds/ebay/etc begin!

  41. #141
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,581
    Hee hee. Satanic Pizza makes me hungry!

  42. #142
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    No, I'd say the sketchy assessment is pretty accurate. Or maybe a better way to say it is that you have to be checked in when up to speed and pointed down. It can get away from you if you're not on it.

    Oh you mean like this?
    Name:  P23 over the bars.png
Views: 291
Size:  110.9 KB
    That's photoshoped.. Rumpfy never fell there. He doesn't ride.

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,732
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    That's photoshoped.. Rumpfy never fell there. He doesn't ride.
    If you've seen the whole sequence you know he was was doing it trials style, hopping the front wheel all the way through.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

  44. #144
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,581
    That entire sequence should just be a sticky. :P where is it?

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Satanic Pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Hee hee. Satanic Pizza makes me hungry!
    but it will never fill you up! mwuhahahaha

  46. #146
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,496
    Never mind me, lets stay on topic here guys. :|
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  47. #147
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,581
    Already have the thread title worked out, "Epic Crashes on Vintage MTBs" with your crash series, Anomie's taco and the ones that Hollister got of Billy on Repack as the thread starters. Woo hoo! Just wish I was more of a picture collector.

    Whoever have them, please send them my way. Danke.

  48. #148
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Already have the thread title worked out, "Epic Crashes on Vintage MTBs" with your crash series, Anomie's taco and the ones that Hollister got of Billy on Repack as the thread starters. Woo hoo! Just wish I was more of a picture collector.

    Whoever have them, please send them my way. Danke.
    And upchucks yard sale in the snake pit. Smoothest recovery ever
    looking for 20-21" P team

  49. #149
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,496
    The bloody post Repack carnage.

    I think I have several wreck photos....maybe we'll start a thread.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  50. #150
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    The bloody post Repack carnage.

    I think I have several wreck photos....maybe we'll start a thread.
    excellent thread!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •