Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    That is one creative build. I like it. Why not?
    Unfortunately I sold this one a few years back. I decided that I more than enough "modern" hardtails.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Had an opportunity to properly measure and this one is actually a 19".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ritchey P22 project...-p22-measured.jpg  

artistic...
    So.. how does one fit a P bike?? the headtubes are incredibly short. Say, a 32in inseam and 5.8ish height.. 18in bike? 19in?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I'm 5'9 and my 18" P-bikes fit me like a glove.
    So.. how does one fit a P bike?? the headtubes are incredibly short. Say, a 32in inseam and 5.8ish height.. 18in bike? 19in?
    Rumpfy likes to "whip them around."

the new Gilbert Grape
    Size with the top tube length, like you would on other bikes.

The head tubes actually aren't that short. Ritchey measures their frames center-to-top with a relatively level top tube. So don't compare the seat tube length to a frame that measures center-to-center with a sloping top tube and expect the number to be similar.

A 21" Richey had a 23" top tube with a 74 degree STA. Bontrager (another brand that I like) measured their frames center-to-center, and their "large" frame (17 inches) has a 23" top tube with a 74 degree STA exactly the same as the Ritchey. So a 21" Ritchey frame fits the same riders as a 17" Bontrager - although the Bontrager has more standover clearance (and I'm pretty sure that Rithcey has a taller head tube).
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

the new Gilbert Grape
    And has other stated which size bike is "correct" varies by rider. I know that Rumpfy likes frames sized smaller than I do, and he can make them do things in the air that I can't.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    I know that Rumpfy likes frames sized smaller than I do, and he can make them do things in the air that I can't.
    Like crash.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Size with the top tube length, like you would on other bikes.

The head tubes actually aren't that short. Ritchey measures their frames center-to-top with a relatively level top tube. So don't compare the seat tube length to a frame that measures center-to-center with a sloping top tube and expect the number to be similar.

A 21" Richey had a 23" top tube with a 74 degree STA. Bontrager (another brand that I like) measured their frames center-to-center, and their "large" frame (17 inches) has a 23" top tube with a 74 degree STA exactly the same as the Ritchey. So a 21" Ritchey frame fits the same riders as a 17" Bontrager - although the Bontrager has more standover clearance (and I'm pretty sure that Rithcey has a taller head tube).
    I believe the correct way would be to measure front center(?) since a 23in top tube on a bike w/a 72 seat tube is not the same as 23in on another w/ 74 seat tube. I am pretty the name is something else other than front center
    the head tube on that 19 in frame is pretty short! Though Ritcheys end up w/ 10 rise stems longer than everyone else's which raises the Hbar so I still don't know if i should ride an 18in or 19in. I am pretty obsessed about having the right fit on my bikes. Obsessed is an understatement...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Rumpfy likes to "whip them around."
    Rumpfy did more with my P-21 in 5 minutes than I have ever done. Next time I will have him sign a disclaimer

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Rumpfy did more with my P-21 in 5 minutes than I have ever done. Next time I will have him sign a disclaimer
    Haha! We're not talking about riding any more are we?

You mean the China Camp ride?
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ben, I wouldn't sink too much into this on the initial build. Once I ride it, and if I like the fit and ride, then I could see pouring more money on top of it. You may find that it feels flimsy & significantly less solid than your MB1.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by klasse View Post
    Ben, I wouldn't sink too much into this on the initial build. Once I ride it, and if I like the fit and ride, then I could see pouring more money on top of it. You may find that it feels flimsy & significantly less solid than your MB1.
    Personally, I have/had both and I would not say the Ritchey is more flimsy. It's a great bike and quite a bit of fun. Lively and fun both up and down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Personally, I have/had both and I would not say the Ritchey is more flimsy. It's a great bike and quite a bit of fun. Lively and fun both up and down.
    That will likely vary with a bigger (heavier) rider. Sounds like light, thin steel.

just sayin' I wouldn't sink too much $$$ into it on the initial build.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    That will likely vary with a bigger (heavier) rider. Sounds like light, thin steel.

just sayin' I wouldn't sink too much $$$ into it on the initial build.
    Huh. I can see that. They're both Prestige tubing though. Not sure if Ritchey's Prestige would actually be different.

mtbr member
    Meh,
    Go for it Ben.....Do it right the first time. if you don't like it, purge the frame and keep the top shelf parts for a different project.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

artistic...
    Huh. I can see that. They're both Prestige tubing though. Not sure if Ritchey's Prestige would actually be different.
    smaller diameter down tube maybe? it does affect the ride a lot. personally, i like flex when done right and don't like stiff bikes.
    i am not so enthusiatic of low bb.. but i never rode a ritchey P bike and the whole package is what counts, not a detail here and there.

mtbr member
    Well, since you asked, I must confess... The initial build will most likley end up somewhere in the middle. No worries purists, I won't go too lame with the initial set up. And if I do, I won't tell you guys!

My issue is I fully recognize that my lack of patience will require that I build this bike the best I can in the quickest manner. As an example, I have had early LX Parallax/Mavic 231(?) wheels hanging in my garage for years and will use these initially. Certainly not XT per catalog spec, but they should do for initial set up. I'm not even sure what the differences are between XT vs LX parallax hubs but it's probably not much (bearings?) My current focus is more on acquiring the M737 XT shifters, f/r derailleurs, Logic brakes and Logic Cranks for now. Not really looking for only WCS level either. I am sooo looking forward to having this one complete! You guys keep me motivated!

Ben
    Last edited by Benster; 10-03-2012 at 02:53 PM.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    Well, since you asked, I must confess... The initial build will most likley end up somewhere in the middle. No worries purists, I won't go too lame with the initial set up. And if I do, I won't tell you guys!

My issue is I fully recognize that my lack of patience will require that I build this bike the best I can in the quickest manner. As an example, I have had an early LX Parallax/Mavic 231(?) wheels hanging in my garage for years and will use these initially. Certainly not XT per catalog spec, but they should do for initial set up. I'm not even sure what the differences are between XT vs LX parallax hubs but it's probably not much (bearings?) My current focus is more on acquiring the M737 XT shifters, f/r derailleurs, Logic brakes and Logic Cranks for now. Not really looking for only WCS level either. I am sooo looking forward to having this one complete! You guys keep me motivated!

Ben
    I've got an m732 XT wheelset I can bring to K'Ville if you want.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Slow down big feller....You have until March....
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    YES, WANT! Wait, FNG Question, would I need to go 7 speed rather than 8 speed with M732?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    what kind of rims, hole # and how much? you can buy a Classified ad if this is for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    Slow down big feller....You have until March....
    So true, and based on how often I have not been riding lately (new baby girl and 95 degree socal heat) there really is no rush.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

My issue is I fully recognize that my lack of patience will require that I build this bike the best I can in the quickest manner. As an example, I have had early LX Parallax/Mavic 231(?) wheels hanging in my garage for years and will use these initially. Certainly not XT per catalog spec, but they should do for initial set up. I'm not even sure what the differences are between XT vs LX parallax hubs but it's probably not much (bearings?) My current focus is more on acquiring the M737 XT shifters, f/r derailleurs, Logic brakes and Logic Cranks for now. Not really looking for only WCS level either. I am sooo looking forward to having this one complete! You guys keep me motivated!

Ben
    not much difference LX and XT hubs. I used 120mm bottom bracket with Logic cranks. the logic levers and brakes can be pricey

YES, WANT! Wait, FNG Question, would I need to go 7 speed rather than 8 speed with M732?
    i believe they came stock with 7 speed but you can change the freehub to 8sp. XT thumbies are never a bad choice.

mtbr member
    So true, and based on how often I have not been riding lately (new baby girl and 95 degree socal heat) there really is no rush.
    Rest assured,whatever I ride this spring in California, it will be ready three days before I leave....

Looking like mine will probably be a Ritchey also.....Just not sure which one......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    Rest assured,whatever I ride this spring in California, it will be ready three days before I leave....

Looking like mine will probably be a Ritchey also.....Just not sure which one......
    Sweeeet!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast