Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Retro on Steroids

Ritchey for the Marin Museum of Bicycling

Joe Breeze asked me about acquiring a vintage Ritchey/MountainBike for the Marin Museum of Bicycling. I have a couple but they don't match what he wants.

I have a friend who owns one of the first nine made, perhaps some here will remember when I recovered it for him a year after it was stolen. Unfortunately, while the bike is super collectible, it doesn't have the right decal.

Joe is looking for an "A" frame, 1980-1983, specifically with the Ritchey/MountainBikes downtube decal. My Annapurna only has the "Ritchey" decal, and the bike I have with the "proper" decal is a "B" frame with an aftermarket fork.

Anyone? Bueller?
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

VRC Illuminati
    I sent Joe a few possible local candidates yesterday.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    I also sent Joe pics of 2 Ritcheys that fit the bill.

mtbr member
    It would be a great honor to have a bike on display at the MMB, but just to be clear it would be a "long-term loan" in the words of Joe. I could think of people that own such a bike, but might still want to ride it from time to time.

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    It would be a great honor to have a bike on display at the MMB, but just to be clear it would be a "long-term loan" in the words of Joe. I could think of people that own such a bike, but might still want to ride it from time to time.
    Should not be a problem. That is my arrangement for the loan of "Breezer #2" to the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame, where it has resided for 25 years.
    shui.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    What a great honor! That's going to be so great to see which bike fits the bill.
    Last edited by girlonbike; 12-11-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Should not be a problem. That is my arrangement for the loan of "Breezer #2" to the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame, where it has resided for 25 years.
    Not a problem for you since you have no interest in riding it any more. Not even for special occasions.
    If I had your bike, I'd ride it all the time.
    -eric-

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    If I had your bike, I'd ride it all the time.
    Last time I rode it I realized what a harsh ride it was compared to anything built since. Even Joe was joking about how when we reached Ashcroft on those bikes the first time we swore never again to ride over Pearl Pass. And then the next year we did.

In any event, I have more bikes to ride, and I can't see using up the extremely funky but original tires by doing nothing more than showing off. More people will enjoy the bike by seeing it in a museum than by seeing me on it.

YMMV. For about $30,000 or so you could probably make your wish come true, but you won't be riding that one.
    shui.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Oh yeah, I know a few people that have several of them in their sheds out back....

Sheesh, you west coasters man, no idea how much cool old crap is just floating around.

On second thought, maybe you do.

Good luck in the search!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Cool bike for sure.
    Last edited by tductape; 12-12-2014 at 08:08 AM.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

VRC Illuminati
    Last time I rode it I realized what a harsh ride it was compared to anything built since. Even Joe was joking about how when we reached Ashcroft on those bikes the first time we swore never again to ride over Pearl Pass. And then the next year we did.
    In any event, I have more bikes to ride, and I can't see using up the extremely funky but original tires by doing nothing more than showing off. More people will enjoy the bike by seeing it in a museum than by seeing me on it.

YMMV. For about $30,000 or so you could probably make your wish come true, but you won't be riding that one.

You and I are very different people.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    ^^ I think after 25 yrs of sitting you would have swapped out the tires and taken it down Repack for old time sake. But like you said mid level Fishers are more your style.

rismtb
    Dec 2012

orig Ritchey

Alan would be proud to have his bike in there totally orig except it's a B frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ritchey for the Marin Museum of Bicycling-full-bike-2.jpg  

Ritchey for the Marin Museum of Bicycling-img_1328.jpg  

Ritchey for the Marin Museum of Bicycling-img_1363.jpg  

Ritchey for the Marin Museum of Bicycling-img_1364.jpg  

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    ^^ I think after 25 yrs of sitting you would have swapped out the tires and taken it down Repack for old time sake. But like you said mid level Fishers are more your style.
    Actually these days it's a Breezer "Repack," which I understand is pretty expensive if you have to pay for it.

Thanks for your concern that I might not be having as much fun with my bikes as you would.
    shui.

Retro on Steroids
    You and I are very different people.
    I appreciate that this very brief era in the history of cycling has inspired so much interest and passion. I do not appreciate being subtly scolded for not sharing them.

This forum, and the "klunker" movement worldwide are attempts to replicate or re-live experiences and events I took part in and often directed. Restoring an old bike or riding one that is 30 years obsolete is not like driving into Crested Butte for the first time or racing a "klunker" for real on Repack. Those experiences, with all the consequences, are no longer available.

Collecting old military medals is not the same as fighting the actual battles. The difference between my experience and yours is the difference between racing Joe Breeze and Gary Fisher at Repack for real, or watching "Klunkerz." Riding the bike I rode then is not the same as doing it for real, and only reminds me why I wanted something even better.

You guys know where it led. We got up every morning and found out where it was going to take us THAT DAY. It ain't the same. Enjoy your collection.
    shui.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Who ever enjoys vintage mtb'ing the most is the biggest winner. Holding the key to the pivotal point in history is a huge responsibility and I can appreciate the burden it is if there was a downside to it.

VRC Illuminati
    I appreciate that this very brief era in the history of cycling has inspired so much interest and passion. I do not appreciate being subtly scolded for not sharing them.

This forum, and the "klunker" movement worldwide are attempts to replicate or re-live experiences and events I took part in and often directed. Restoring an old bike or riding one that is 30 years obsolete is not like driving into Crested Butte for the first time or racing a "klunker" for real on Repack. Those experiences, with all the consequences, are no longer available.

Collecting old military medals is not the same as fighting the actual battles. The difference between my experience and yours is the difference between racing Joe Breeze and Gary Fisher at Repack for real, or watching "Klunkerz." Riding the bike I rode then is not the same as doing it for real, and only reminds me why I wanted something even better.

You guys know where it led. We got up every morning and found out where it was going to take us THAT DAY. It ain't the same. Enjoy your collection.
    You don't appreciate being scolded? I don't appreciate you always belittling our experiences and comparing them to your own like everything else doesn't count. You never fail to alienate your would be fan base with rude arrogance and self-stroking ego.

Rebuilding and riding old mountain bikes is not like collecting old military medals....its like rebuilding and driving classic muscle cars. Or maybe restoring and playing a vintage piano or guitar. If you're going to be a punk about your analogies, at least compare apples to apples.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Ditto ^^

CK, I drive a 57 Chevy, I shoot 1917 L.C. Smith, and I ride a 87 Ibis, why you say because there all Bad Arse. I'm not trying to relive anything I just know what Ilike.
    If wanted to relive something I would go back in time to the 70's and ride a Schwinn Varsity around the local Moto Cross track, or down a fire road in the Sequoia National Forest. It won't be imulating the guys in the Klunker movie.

He be a moose too.
    Repack rider, I don't give a fat rat's ass about what you did or didn't do or anyone else did. I ride because I like it. I ride old bikes because I like them. I don't need your blessing or validation to enjoy the bikes, the riding, or this forum. I wonder if you met the descendants of James Starley and John Starley if you would get on your knees and bow down to them like is seems you expect us to do to you.

Sometimes I wonder if you're a troll but am not sure if you're clever enough.
    Looking for: Really nice set of black M730 cranks

Slipping into my mod hat briefly here.

CK, I, and anyone else who's ridden an MTB owes you, and all your friends a debt of gratitude for what you all created.

That said, that's as far as it really goes. Nobody is going to contribute to your retirement plan because you helped create mountain bikes, or build a bronze statue in your honor, (well, maybe if it's a personal project they will, but that's up to them). Many, myself included, bought your book, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Great work, thank you!

To the folks on the "other side". If you poke someone enough times, they're gonna snap at you. If you think something he said or did is out of line, say so, and move on. Grudges just make you look juvenile. Carrying on about them for months like you are going to win the internet or something is a pointless waste of your time, better spent tracking down and polishing (and riding) bikes I wish I could find in my back yard.

Can we (all) just drop the bullsh*t about who did or said what, and stop baiting each other into yet another pointless flame bait fest?

I don't know how old the whippersnappers around here are, but I know CK is old enough to know better. Sully is a good example of an ambassador, and elder statesman, whatever you want to call it. Joe Breeze has swung through too, also with respect, answers, and a bit of memory lane travel. Got a drop of wisdom from Joe myself in one thread, and felt a glow for days after, for it. How freakin' cool is that?

This on the other hand, is like finding out that your favorite uncle growing up, is actually a first rate s$$hole, who was only nice to you because you saw him at parties when he was three sheets to the wind. Please CK, don't be that guy, or, if you have to be, to someone who desperately deserves it, do it in private, where it belongs.

That's what we want, conversation about old bikes, and I think I speak for the community as a whole, we are honored to have you guys on here, many other sites do't have that, and it adds a certain legitimacy to what happens here.

Please don't screw it up with egos and attitudes, it just gets old, and makes you all look bad.

Really have issues with each other? Settle it like (wo)men, the old fashioned way. Single speeds at dawn, first one to the top wins.

Sheesh......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Really have issues with each other? Settle it like (wo)men, the old fashioned way. Single speeds at dawn, first one to the top wins.

No no, that was settled with a 'ride' down Repack. I got to the bottom first on a Charlie Cunningham designed 95 Phoenix.

I can't beat anyone to the top.
    -eric-

I can't beat anyone to the top.
    So now we're getting to the bottom of all that surliness you display!

(runs out of room)

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    That bike of Alan's is a real timepiece!
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post

This on the other hand, is like finding out that your favorite uncle growing up, is actually a first rate s$$hole, who was only nice to you because you saw him at parties when he was three sheets to the wind. Please CK, don't be that guy
    except in this case, the uncle isn't even nice at parties
    looking for 20-21" P team

Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    except in this case, the uncle isn't even nice at parties
    I could tell stories of this guy who comes into the shop, aging hippie, angry at the world, slightly unbalanced, annoying as all get out, (driven some customers away actually), but to do so would just be giving energy to something that simply doesn't deserve it. Trust me, I can go off about this a$$hat for hours in private if you like.

If it's really that bad for you? I fully respect your, and everyone elses individual opinions, I really do, but how is repeating the bad stuff helping anyone here, with their bikes, passions or projects?

You know, the whole ignore function and suchwhat....

If left alone, it grows so bad, that ignoring it doesn't work, and it proves detrimental to the overall sense of decency on the board, other steps can be taken, but as it is, solely from my perspective? It's a bunch of personal issues being aired in public, which frankly, just isn't cool, gets old, and something that the rest of us that don't live in the Bay area, much care about.....

On other topics somewhat California related, just got Berkeley to Bakersfield, Crackers new album?

Just fantastic, if you happen to be into them, highly recommend it.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast