mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Ritchey Logic Fork Rake - Were their different Rakes?

I bought a Ritchey Logic fork that was off of a Ritchey and that the owner had replaced because he found a brazed version of the fork. I am planning on putting it on a Bridgestone MB2 that I picked up off Ebay pretty cheap.

I assumed that the fork would be the same rake as the Ritchey Logic that is on my MB1 and the other one that I have off a 93 MB3. When compared side my side though it looks like the Ritchey from the Ritchey has a slightly different offset. The fork does not look bent at all so curious if there were different rakes on different year forks.

Thanks in advance.

the new Gilbert Grape
    The '92 catalog says that the forks have a 1.8" offset (one option): http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/cata...nts1992_14.jpg

However, if your fork is fillet brazed it may not be an "off the shelf" fork. Ritchey also sold dropouts that could be built into any fork with any length or offset.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    I bought a Ritchey Logic fork that was off of a Ritchey and that the owner had replaced because he found a brazed version of the fork. I am planning on putting it on a Bridgestone MB2 that I picked up off Ebay pretty cheap.

I assumed that the fork would be the same rake as the Ritchey Logic that is on my MB1 and the other one that I have off a 93 MB3. When compared side my side though it looks like the Ritchey from the Ritchey has a slightly different offset. The fork does not look bent at all so curious if there were different rakes on different year forks.

Thanks in advance.
    What year MB2 is it going on? 89 on should have a 40 mm rake which sounds like what your Ritchey is . I believe earlier Bridgestones used more rake and less HA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    91 mb2. Would that have had the same rake as a 93 Mb? They look the same in the catalogue but hard to tell for certain. I will.post some pics of them when I get home.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    91 mb2. Would that have had the same rake as a 93 Mb? They look the same in the catalogue but hard to tell for certain. I will.post some pics of them when I get home.
    Yes. Here is how you measure your fork according to David Kirk
    How to measure frame angles?

"
    * you need the fork and three chunks of wood that are the same size and something fairly flat like a counter top. Short sections of 2x4 will work just fine. The more consistent the sizes of the pieces of wood are the better the results.

* lay two of the pieces of wood close to each other on the counter. They need to be close enough to each other so the steerer of the fork can rest on them both at the same time.

* now put the fork steerer down on the two blocks with the front of the fork facing up. You now have two of the blocks of wood under the steerer and the rake is going up toward the ceiling.

* now take the 3rd piece of wood and slide it from the dropouts of the fork up toward the crown/steerer keeping the piece of wood more or less perpendicular to the fork until it contacts the backside of both blades. At this point the fork is resting on 3 pieces of wood, two under the steerer and one under both blades.

* now using a ruler measure from the center of the axle slot of the dropout down to the table. Check both sides and tweak the wood under the blades until it reads the same on both sides. It's crucial that the steerer is still sitting on both chunks of wood.

* lastly measure the thickness of the wood under the steerer and add to that 1/2 the diameter of the steerer. This is the fork steerer centerline to the table distance. Subtract this number from the distance measured from the center of the axle slot to the counter and viola you have the actual rake. Repeat the set up a few times until you are getting consistent results to be sure and it's a done deal."

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Dear sir, the fork I sold you was a Tange Co mo unicrown tig welded. Ritchey logic forks that came on all the newer P series Ritcheys were Logic tubing. Newer, lighter, more expensive. The fork you have is a way older tig unicrown constuction. They were specked on the early production Ritchey. This fork should work for your frame. I think the MB2 you have is logic tubing??

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Many thanks for the follow on. I have a purple Ritchey Logic fork that I will run on the frame instead and will just sell the Tange one that I got from you. It is close but it is a slightly different rake than what the later Ritchey forks came with. I had assumed they would have the same rake but found out differently. Thanks to everyone for their replies.