Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Ritchey Ascent Comp Drop Bar (finished, images page 3)

Started a drop bar project I have been thinking on for a while...

then some changes...

Almost there... just waiting on a NOS set bar end shifters...

Last edited by digilux; 06-07-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    No points to garage queens!

"Mum it's not a bike - it's a Yeti" (my daughter explaining things)

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    pretty nice to look at. but i have my doubts, that it'll be that nice as well on the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidftw View Post
    pretty nice to look at. but i have my doubts, that it'll be that nice as well on the trails.
    Why the doubts?

Certified Bike Junkie
    Take a look at the bar position of most of the bikes in the drop bar thread and compare to where you are at. Also Dirt Drop bars are very different from road bars as far as hand positioning goes.
    Last edited by muddybuddy; 05-31-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    yes I know the bars them self should have been curved more outward and the stem should be shorter and with a higher rise, but this was the bars and stem I had in hand. This is my first attempt on a drop bar MTB... so lets see how it turns out.

BTW... JT managed to race with road bars...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm no expert, but I have to agree with the above. I tried regular drop bars and realized within a couple of rides that the bike would be relegated to fire road type trails. It was extremely difficult to lift the front end over obstacles since I was stretched out and low. I changed to Woodchippers, raised the drops to the seat level and shortened the stem. The bike became totally different to handle over rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blilrat View Post
    I'm no expert, but I have to agree with the above. I tried regular drop bars and realized within a couple of rides that the bike would be relegated to fire road type trails. It was extremely difficult to lift the front end over obstacles since I was stretched out and low. I changed to Woodchippers, raised the drops to the seat level and shortened the stem. The bike became totally different to handle over rough stuff.
    JT managed to throw some air with with his road drop bars... then again JT is JT

velocipede technician
    everyone else is wrong, you got it right

we really need a sarcasm font here
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    everyone else is wrong, you got it right

we really need a sarcasm font here
    That one did I not understand...

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    try it. you don't need shifters to see if that setup fits you.
    going up a hill, or fast on a straight might seem good, but try going round tight corners and down a hill, with your hands in the drops.
    i'd be surprised if it doesn't feel too bulky.

i have my doubts cause i've been where you are now

the new Gilbert Grape
    I don't think that the shape of the bars is an issue. Many riders use road bars on CX bikes on trails and they work fine. When you're in the drops you may find that the bar hits you in the wrists when you rock the bike hard back and forth - not a deal breaker, but it can be irritating (speaking form first hand experience).

The only potential issue I see is the length of the stem. You may be pretty stretched out with your set up - but then again you may have monster long arms. Give it a try and see how it rides, but you'll likely need a shorter (but same rise) stem.

Otherwise it looks great!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Thanks all folks for your enthusiasm for my drop bar project. I have done this once many years ago with a Cannondale M2000 frame. On this project I have measured the stem height and length with my elbow in front of the seat and I manage to get to-three fingers between my fingertips and handlebar. That is the old school road bike measure for stem length, not sure if tha goes for CX/drop bar MTB though...

Seat height is still a bit low for me since this Ritchey in general is a bit to small for me. My pref size is 19-19.5". Some of you have probably seen my Yetis...

I also don't think the road drop bar is a issue only the general size of the bike. But so far test ride without shifters proved promising I think. Just cant wait to test it on the properly with shifters.

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    ah, you're right. your yetis are taller. so the length might fit you. if you're comfortable on the bike, ok.
    with the bars so low i'd just be scared with my face being so close to the rocks, roots and other abrasive material

VRC Illuminati
    You can't base it off of JT's race set up. He ran it that way so it would more similarly mimic his road bike as he was racing both road and dirt at the time. Once he committed to dirt full time, flat bars came back.

You'll be able to ride bike...but that set up is very low and very stretched out. This is not how correct drop bar bikes are set up. I'd wager a guess you won't care for how the bike behaves.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by digilux View Post
    Thanks all folks for your enthusiasm for my drop bar project. I have done this once many years ago with a Cannondale M2000 frame. On this project I have measured the stem height and length with my elbow in front of the seat and I manage to get to-three fingers between my fingertips and handlebar. That is the old school road bike measure for stem length, not sure if tha goes for CX/drop bar MTB though...

Seat height is still a bit low for me since this Ritchey in general is a bit to small for me. My pref size is 19-19.5". Some of you have probably seen my Yetis...

I also don't think the road drop bar is a issue only the general size of the bike. But so far test ride without shifters proved promising I think. Just cant wait to test it on the properly with shifters.
    This set up is like running a 25 cm stem on a 50 cm top tube and it can't be right. it is going to handle like a shopping cart

mtbr member
    My back hurts.....
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Well arnt some of you talking like Oracles one better than the other... you havent seen me or know anything about my proportions

Anyway I am glad for those of you who contribute and for those of you Oracles ...

VRC Illuminati
    Well arnt some of you talking like Oracles one better than the other... you havent seen me or know anything about my proportions

Yep, our bad. I should have read post #8.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Well ok where did i put my sorry feet wrong here? Why are some of you almost acting unfriendly here?

And whats about thread no 8 - I still dont get it... feed me With a spoon please

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Anyway I am glad for those of you who contribute and for those of you Oracles ...
    it is not only about body proportions, it is about weight distribution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Machianera View Post
    it is not only about body proportions, it is about weight distribution.
    One of the better contributions in this thread so fare. I agree on the w&b and cg issue. But like i have stated in the start of the thread this is the stem and bar i have for the moment. I will test this setup befor i swap anything.

velocipede technician
    Well ok where did i put my sorry feet wrong here? Why are some of you almost acting unfriendly here?

And whats about thread no 8 - I still dont get it... feed me With a spoon please
    the amount collective knowledge here is amazing, take advantage of it. there's lots of good advice from multiple sources

I've tried the drop bar ritchey thing with too low a stem, I didn't enjoy it. the handling was not to my liking

post #8 was friendlier way of saying this

you're hell bent on setting it up the way you have it. have a blast, I hope it works out well for you.
    looking for 20-21" P team

VRC Illuminati

We're nicely trying to tell you that your set up is bad. Its not being done to put you down or criticize you, its being done to save you wasted time and heartache. Everyone commenting have drop bar bikes, so we're sharing our collective knowledge and experience.

Our thoughts and suggestions seem to be annoying you. And thats ok too, but its also when the vultures start to circle....thats the unfriendly you're feeling.
    -eric-

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Agreed. There's some initial surliness to some folks responses, but they are simply being themselves, and trying to help you out. Don't react to the vibe, and you'll be fine.

Their experiences may help you more quickly figure out why it is it really doesn't feel that great when the rubber hits the trail.

Like any internet excursion, a thick skin, and willingness to ask why, is better than a thin skin, and holding fast to the fervent belief that it will work as you think.

Have fun with it.

See? You now know why JT did what he did. And why he swapped over after a while.

Try to get that info from your local 16 year old at Bike R Us.....

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    1. Relax i just didnt see the sarcasm
    2. I never said I was using JTs setup as a template
    3. It's the bar and stem I have for the moment
    4. it's most likely a language barrier - three years in flight school I the south states probably didn't improve my English
    5. I really appreciate your input but please leave out the inner circle codes and sarcasme

I'm juping the hey with the wifey - race weekend tomorrow and I need a massage ;-)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast