gobsmacked Moderator

RIP Jobst Brandt

Hollister says goddamnit. The rest of us would say, we lost a giant. Crack open his book tonight, raise a glass, bid a legend farewell and thank him for helping us understand the wheel a whole lot better.

https://rayhosler.wordpress.com/2015...st-a-lifetime/

Thanks for the link, H. I am super sad...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Cheers to Brandt. He was truly a giant, and unafraid to call bs.

velocipede technician

looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    I wish I could have been on one of those off-road Santa Cruz rides.

I built my first wheel with his book.

Such a passionate contributor to cycling.

Schipperkes are cool.
    RIP. that made me sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    I built my first wheel with his book.

Such a passionate contributor to cycling.
    Same here. And agreed, such dedication to cycling. He will be missed. If there is an afterlife, Jobst and Sheldon are probably gearing up for a ride right about now.

Grumps

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Well that just 180'd my evening....

30 years of wheel building, and every last stinking one of them, laced his way.

That was an excellent tribute too, thanks for posting it.

Cheers sir, despite never meeting, you shall be missed.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

velocipede technician
    From one wheel man to another

The Force who Rode - Wheel Fanatyk

velocipede technician

gobsmacked Moderator

RIP Jobst Brandt

I really love this jersey or vest. RIP Jobst Brandt-imageuploadedbytapatalk1430972375.482291.jpg
    Photo by Ray Hosler of Laurence Malone

Signal cycles did a jersey in sort of an old school specialized color scheme a few years ago that was kind of similar. I should have ordered one!

Nice find, H.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'll have to reread his book.

I was thinking the other day that the wheel is a determinate enough structure that it can probably be optimized for weight or rotational inertia with a function, and not just tests and hope...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post

That iconic yellow bike is proof that you don't need to have the latest modern equipment to be a super strong rider and cover a gazillion miles in your lifetime and have a total blast while doing it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I really love this jersey or vest. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430972375.482291.jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	986654
    Photo by Ray Hosler of Laurence Malone

Signal cycles did a jersey in sort of an old school specialized color scheme a few years ago that was kind of similar. I should have ordered one!

Nice find, H.
    I built a wheel or two back in the day with his book. It's still around somewhere. I think he was a big help with Avocet seats, tires, and computers as well. He had a large presence on some bicycle usenet page right? Those would be fun to read. He always had good solid info unafraid to tell it like it is.

G, I've got a jersey or two like that that I could maybe part with. And a side note, I was lucky enough to get a chance to toe the starting line with Laurence Malone in about 1990 or so when he was making his masters comeback.

oh my TVC 15
    Bummed. The old masters are dropping like flies. Where are the new cycling authors? Oh yeh, they're banned for life.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Bummer. It's sad to hear of his passing. He was a great contributor to the biking world.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I have the book but damned if I'm smart enough to understand it. Over twenty five years in my collection! Hell, still built a few hundred wheels anyways.

That guy was amazing, I knew so little about him and his life until unfortunately after his passing.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    R.I.P. ya gruff old fart. I always enjoyed the rare chance to see or talk to ya. The book you gave me is still in the collection, right on the shelf where I can see it, and there's a lot less dust on it since everyone who talks bikes w me is shown it.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    I built a wheel or two back in the day with his book. It's still around somewhere. I think he was a big help with Avocet seats, tires, and computers as well. He had a large presence on some bicycle usenet page right? Those would be fun to read. He always had good solid info unafraid to tell it like it is.

G, I've got a jersey or two like that that I could maybe part with. And a side note, I was lucky enough to get a chance to toe the starting line with Laurence Malone in about 1990 or so when he was making his masters comeback.
    cool. Thanks, FB!

He be a moose too.
    He had a large presence on some bicycle usenet page right?
    He was on rec.bicycles in the late 80's. He didn't post about how his daily ride went nor did he talk about a great deal he got at some shop rather after somebody talking some bs about how using talcum powder on their tubes gave them less flats or some such, he would come in with facts and data and leave the person a smoking, flattened mess.

mtbr member
    Some fun reading:

http://yarchive.net/bike/index.html
    And
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/
    CRAMBA Chairman

velocipede technician

velocipede technician

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Dang! That's got some sweet little details, really like the chain stay pump "saddle", thanks for sharing, very cool.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    He was on rec.bicycles in the late 80's. He didn't post about how his daily ride went nor did he talk about a great deal he got at some shop rather after somebody talking some bs about how using talcum powder on their tubes gave them less flats or some such, he would come in with facts and data and leave the person a smoking, flattened mess.
    His back and forth with Keith Bontrager was always entertaining. While the guy knew a lot, he sometimes oversimplified problems. Just because you can't measure it with a sensor, does not mean that you can't feel it.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

mtbr member
    I learned to build wheels from his book and still reference it sometimes. And he was a very likable and generous (in many ways) person. We need more folks like him.
    "It's not that bicycling is so important, it is that everything else is equally unimportant."-Bruce Ohlson.

mtbr member

Stunning work on that frame..

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Beautifully done! That Peter Johnson frame is a work of art and the pragmatic mix of parts is perfect. I have to ask... what chain ring combo and size tires did he ride?
    Thanks for posting.
    -lars

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNRG View Post
    Beautifully done! That Peter Johnson frame is a work of art and the pragmatic mix of parts is perfect. I have to ask... what chain ring combo and size tires did he ride?
    Thanks for posting.
    -lars
    Half step 50/47

I've seen a bunch of different sized tires on it over the years. If memory serves the last time I saw it before the restoration it was on 28's

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    A 50/47!?!? And here I am puttzing around on a 42t and 35c's... sheesh. I better "ride bike" more.
    Thanks for the info and great restoration!
    RIP Jobst

mtbr member
    OK I'll pipe in. I saw Jobst probably once a week and talked to him quite a lot when I worked at PAB during my high school and college days in the mid/late 80s. At that time he was riding a big yellow Ritchey with, if I remember right, Campy C-Record cranks (he used to break the older Record cranks), Suntour front der (stronger return spring than Campy at that time) and of course Avocet tires and MA2s. When I went to study in Italy for a year Jobst talked me into bringing my bike. He was really quite adamant about it and wouldn't take any of my excuses--basically talked me into it. I was always very grateful about that. He used to ride to the airport and then put his bike in a big clear plastic bag. Claimed the airlines never damaged it. I always loved his MA2 vs MA40 rants (I was a poseur and thought MA40s looked cool). Truthfully I was never entirely sold on the Avocet tires (which I got for free). And I'll always remember him walking about in his Duegi shoes which a custom heal to make it easier to walk. Anyway, he was an awesome guy and a true inspiration. I was really bummed when I heard about his fall a few years back but it's cool that he never stopped riding.

RIP

sftrydr
    All spoken for, thanx all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RIP Jobst Brandt-img_0003.jpg  

Last edited by ssulljm; 07-09-2015 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    RIP Jobst

gobsmacked Moderator
    Which bike is that?

Moderator Moderator
    30 years of wheel building, and every last stinking one of them, laced his way.
    I've got just over 20, and only once did I deviate from his way. Had to rebuild that one, the lesson needed to be learned.

It sounds like he made the most of his time, bravo.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Which bike is that?
    Most likely this one

TR, PJ, JB

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Peter Johnson

PJ is surely a ripper on the trails too. Here's a cool little clip by Jake Hess & crew that shows off his skinny tires on dirt skills.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Most likely this one
    Thanks, H. I wonder if he had as many bikes as say....Bushpig....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hope itís okay if I bump this thread.

I have a question about the bicycle shown here.

According to the EXIF info in the photos, the pictures were taken on 24 June 2015.

A few days earlier, on 20 June 2015, at the Jobst Brandt memorial ride, Ray Hosler showed a photo of another tall, yellow bicycle, with this description: ďThe big yellow bike in the front is Jobstís old one with a repaired rear stay, owned now by Richard Mlynarik.Ē

So is the bicycle in this thread a new one that Brandt acquired after his crash?

Who owns this bicycle today? Itís a fascinating machine. Do we know who built the frame? Or why itís equipped with a Bontrager stem this time around?

VRC Illuminati
    Pretty sure this thread is always ok to bump.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_D View Post
    Hope itís okay if I bump this thread.

I have a question about the bicycle shown here.

According to the EXIF info in the photos, the pictures were taken on 24 June 2015.

A few days earlier, on 20 June 2015, at the Jobst Brandt memorial ride, Ray Hosler showed a photo of another tall, yellow bicycle, with this description: ďThe big yellow bike in the front is Jobstís old one with a repaired rear stay, owned now by Richard Mlynarik.Ē

So is the bicycle in this thread a new one that Brandt acquired after his crash?

Who owns this bicycle today? Itís a fascinating machine. Do we know who built the frame? Or why itís equipped with a Bontrager stem this time around?
    I believe it was built by Tom Ritchey.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

velocipede technician
    The yellow bike is a Peter Johnson. When I took the June pics it had just finished being tuned and cleaned by a long time friend of Jobst, I believe it's headed to a local museum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    The new one? Because there are two tall, yellow bicycles. The proof is that theyíre visible together in this photo taken at the Jobst Brandt memorial event. (From this gallery, incidentally full of famous people in cycling.)

And the same gentleman posted this photo of Jobst with the newer-looking bicycle, dated 20 July 2012 in the EXIF data. Itís poignant to remember that that is over a year after his bad accident. With this knowledge, Jobst appears as a downed bird.

But this is bordering on stalking now. Rest assured I have no ulterior motives aside from curiosity about a man who profoundly affected how I think about cycling and beyond.

If you hear which museum gets the bicycle, Iíd appreciate knowing that in case I ever have the chance to visit California.

Thanks!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_D View Post
    The new one? Because there are two tall, yellow bicycles. The proof is that theyíre visible together in this photo taken at the Jobst Brandt memorial event. (From this gallery, incidentally full of famous people in cycling.)

And the same gentleman posted this photo of Jobst with the newer-looking bicycle, dated 20 July 2012 in the EXIF data. Itís poignant to remember that that is over a year after his bad accident. With this knowledge, Jobst appears as a downed bird.

But this is bordering on stalking now. Rest assured I have no ulterior motives aside from curiosity about a man who profoundly affected how I think about cycling and beyond.

If you hear which museum gets the bicycle, Iíd appreciate knowing that in case I ever have the chance to visit California.

Thanks!
    Great links. Looks like the bike above are all of the one right behind the speakers. And don't worry about the stalking....you have no idea about this crowd.

velocipede technician
    I'm certain of it

sftrydr
    1st time riding up dirt Alpine yesterday since his memorial,I was struck by the rutted unchanneled state of this path.
    For decades, when I lived nearby I'd spent many hrs w him quietly reconditioning the drainage channels as Jobst had his tool stash up there.
    I say quietly cause we argued quite a bit, in a mostly respectful manner,but quite a bit.

Seeing the multitudes riding this old trail yesterday,seemingly not one considering taking the time to provide unsolicited care to the degraded surface, had me missing Jobst,the ol coot.
    Jobst was a lot of things as shown by this thread, please add tireless dirt Alpine caretaker to the list....and his absence fine tuning drainage-brush overgrowth along the dirt Alpine trail is sorely missed.
    Last edited by ssulljm; 04-30-2017 at 01:07 PM.