mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Rigid 29" on a Klein Mantra

Anyone put a rigid 29" on a Klein Mantra?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    that might be kinda cool, i wonder if there would be toe strike

i can mock it up in photoshop

ding with a squish 29 front

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Looks pretty cool...
    ...nice Klein also!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Dats a high rock garden bb on that one now

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    nice.

Did similar

But went back with a 100mm

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Wow. Have you taken that on actual mountain biking trails? That doesn't look like it'll ride well. How was it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    69er Mantra IMO is better downhill, but it takes more to keep it pointed straight. Probably has to do with the geometry. That's why I'm considering putting a rigid fork on and trying to keep similar geometry, already have the wheel. It's probably going to be pretty goofy, but just play in.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    If I remember correctly, I have seen an early Mantra set up rigid front. It always perplexed me. Why would you want 5" of rear travel and no front?

Even with a shorter 29er fork and a big tire, seems like the ride would be pretty unbalanced.

But hey, if you have the stuff, go for it!

Curious to hear how it works, so post pics and a ride review!

frog

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    If I remember correctly, I have seen an early Mantra set up rigid front. It always perplexed me. Why would you want 5" of rear travel and no front?

Even with a shorter 29er fork and a big tire, seems like the ride would be pretty unbalanced.

But hey, if you have the stuff, go for it!

Curious to hear how it works, so post pics and a ride review!

frog
    The original design was for a rigid front and supposedly hits to the front would be absorbed by the rear suspension.

-S

mtbr member
    Shiiwan hits it on the head. Darrell Voss explained why the prototype Mantras that he brought up for a magazine test were hard noses, and his theory was that the compliance in the middle helped you up front. I disagreed, but he was much taller than I, so I didn't disagree to his face. It isn't true, but its a great Voss-ism! All these neat pics are making me miss my Mantras! I wish I had bought one of the prototypes. They had those huge Klein stems and forks, and were very light, and very cool indeed. And climbed ultra-steeps like nothing else I've ever ridden!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeBike13 View Post
    I disagreed, but he was much taller than I, so I didn't disagree to his face. It isn't true, but its a great Voss-ism! All these neat pics are making me miss my Mantras! I wish I had bought one of the prototypes. They had those huge Klein stems and forks, and were very light, and very cool indeed. And climbed ultra-steeps like nothing else I've ever ridden!
    I agree with you! LOL

I bought mine used from a LBS that does used bikes after I had done some research. Tried out several bikes there and some new bikes at other shops and still found that I preferred the fit of the Mantra and how it rides/handles.

It's one nimble bike and despite its age, it climbs really well.

I've started updating the bike, changing out worn out stuff, put in new carbon bits, etc.... and for my next project I'm going to design/make my own rear disc brake adaptor (I own an engineering company with our own CNC shop). I don't quite like all the existing/available choices of 22mm brake adaptors (A2Z, B&S) because they are made out of stamped steel and will flex.

Here's a pic of my updated Mantra:

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 10-01-2012 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    discs make a difference in the brake bob

mtbr member
    My favorite Mantra story: One day, I got a Mantra for a Bicycling or Mountain Bike test. I had ridden it once at a not-so-steep trail area, and was lukewarm on the bike. It was a faded orange one like one of the bikes pictured above. My friend John McClain wanted to try it on a day when I couldn't ride, so he picked it up and took it to the feared "Hard Side" of Whistle Lake, in Anacortes, WA (some the steepest climbs around, one after another). He got back, and said, "Did you ride that bike? Did you see how it climbs! Holy crap!" He was so enthused (and that takes a lot with John) that we went to Whistle the next night, and traded off between a Trek Y bike and the Mantra. Holy crap! The Mantra just would not spin- if you didn't run out of leg strength or balance, you climbed the hill. The Y bike was the opposite- it would not grip standing up. We both climbed the steeped hill (the Mad MuFu) several times on the Mantra, and never made it even half way on the Y bike. Fell in love with the Mantra that night; McClain still has one.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doc Zox View Post
    discs make a difference in the brake bob
    Saw your post in another thread, doc, but those calipers are nice but next to impossible to find these days.

....and besides, I keep looking at the set of Juicy Ultimates on my table. Can't wait to put them on. LOL.

-S

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    ....and besides, I keep looking at the set of Juicy Ultimates on my table. Can't wait to put them on. LOL.

-S
    I have a set on a bike. Can't say I'm a big fan.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    They do climb like a monkey.
    Last edited by the0r1st; 10-01-2012 at 10:05 PM.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I have a set on a bike. Can't say I'm a big fan.
    Hrm.... got them used... maybe that's why they were cheap.

Stokeless Asshat
    I once built a SS Mullet out of a Catamount SL. Not as active a design as the Mantra but a well done URT all the same. I used a friends custom 26" disc fork that was able to swallow an Exiwolf. It was a very fun bike and with the short AC measurement, the handling was not compromised. Do to the lackluster steering precision of the Judy that was on there prior I'd say it was much improved. The brake induced inchworm effect was minimized also. No pics of the build exist. A low ac fork is what you need.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    I once built a SS Mullet out of a Catamount SL. Not as active a design as the Mantra but a well done URT all the same. I used a friends custom 26" disc fork that was able to swallow an Exiwolf. It was a very fun bike and with the short AC measurement, the handling was not compromised. Do to the lackluster steering precision of the Judy that was on there prior I'd say it was much improved. The brake induced inchworm effect was minimized also. No pics of the build exist. A low ac fork is what you need.
    I agree, do you have a recommendation I need a fork with an ac of 16.375" to keep the same geom.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    You will not fit a 29er tire in a fork with a 390mm a-c.

The shortest production fork I know that will hold a 29er tire is a surly 1x1 fork with an a-c of about 410mm. It is designed for a 26" wheel so you will have to run a disc brake as the canti studs won't line up with the rim. I was able to fit a 2.3 Exiwolf on a Sun CR-17 rim using a disc brake, and the minimal knobs of the Exiwolf barely cleared the underside of the fork crown. A smaller tire would give you a bit more wiggle room, but compromise on the "suspension" up front.

frog

mtbr member
    Perhaps a 650b wheel would be a better option.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Or a 26" wheel. Or get a 29'er.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Or a 26" wheel. Or get a 29'er.
    Now, now, don't go getting all logical on us!

frog

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Theorist, did you ever get beyond the theory? Did you try the 29 on the Mantra?

It's a cool thread and I'm thinking of doing the same to mine.

Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Still looking for a fork, winter anyways and not in a hurry. What you got? Post a picture.