Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rhygin Racing Cycles?

Just one of many bikes I lusted for in the mid 90's but didn't have the funds for. Anyone know the story behind this lesser known Boston frame builder? And if anyone has pics, please share

artistic...
    i have an early 90s bicycling somewhere mentioning an up and coming east coast builder, rhygyin.
    they had the pic of a frame and RS fork. oversized true temper painted in orange. it was so sexy it felt like time stopped.
    price was 1125 frame and fork.
    it had a yo eddy vibe to it but looked shorter, tighter.
    one of their last models had a canondale shox, one of those inside the headtube. then merlin came w/ the same design but rhygyn was first.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Another small Boston builder whose DNA came from the Fat Chance lineage (kinda like Bill Walsh or Bill Parcells), their claim to fame was a stainless tubeset. Hard to work with and expensive, but lasted forever. It was between them and a 7, but wised up and went FS.

All those east coasters threw the oversized Headshock into the mix, fortunately the other manufacturers raised their game. Never liked the sternum buster that the tall headtube forced.

artistic...
    rhygyn was already hot before metax. that was near their closure. they did the headshock before merlin. never rode one but having a one piece fork makes a lot of sense when riding technical tight singletrack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Came real close to buying one in the mid 90's. The SS frame was trick/expensive. My LBS talked me into going with a Wojcik. No regrets.

mtbr member

From the old Rhygin site...

Juke

Our steel mountain frame has evolved over the years with many changes. Serious riders have taken them to many racing successes including six New England Championship titles, countless regional events, and completing the Iditabike. Two enthusiasts are currently riding them (into the Guiness Record book) from Prudhoe Bay Alaska to Cape Horn, in South America. Customers have raced, toured and simply ridden to work.

A custom blend of Reynolds 853, Tange prestige and True Temper steel results in a resilient, light yet durable performance frame. Why do we use different brands of steel? Because we can. Each frame size has specific requirements for weight and stiffness of each tube. Obviously the tubing for a 5’2" 120lb. rider should be different than one for a 6’2" 190lb. rider. We could use one tubeset from one manufacturer; it would certainly make our purchasing easier, but it would be a compromise for all but one frame size.1 1/8" head tube standard, 1" available.
    Juke Stainless

The Juke Stainless is built with Columbus Metax (stainless steel) tubing. This is the first big news in steel in over 40 years! We can build a lighter weight frame with the smooth ride you expect and a few benefits: No rust, no scratches, and far less impact on the environment.

Corrosion is not an issue, so like titanium, a Metax frame is a long term investment. Also, Metax frames don’t require paint to prevent rusting. We give them a finish that is easily maintained with a scotch-brite pad. Not painting the frame saves weight and spares the environment. The final benefit is purely aesthetic - we can show off our welds and workmanship. Many companies want their frames painted before you ever see them, but we are excited to have a frame that high-lights our workmanship.
    Juke Headshock

Finally. The Juke HeadShok. It's built specifically for the HeadShok Fatty 70. It offers unequaled lateral stiffness and steering accuracy and a plush 70mm of travel. An ideal choice for larger riders who desire a very accurate hardtail.
    Metax FAQ:

No Rust! The first big news in steel in over 40 years. Columbus totes this tubeset as being able to have "chromed" chainstays without the destructive chroming process. A satiny hand-brushed finish is standard, mirror-like electro-polish is available.

Tube dimensions are the similar to EL/OS, but the main tube walls are slightly thicker for greater rigidity and increased resistance to denting. The ride is superb with a zing that will never be matched by the so-called "exotics".

When we tell people about Metax, we often hear the following questions...

If it's stainless, Isn't it heavy?
    Metax is stainless and exceptionally strong. Metax was developed specifically for off-shore oil drilling where high strength and corrosion resistance is even more important than in the bike industry. Fortunately for us (and you) Columbus got their hands on the stuff, since we sure don't have the budget to develop a material like this.

What does it look like?
    Bicyclist magazine said "it is a steel with a brighter luster than brushed titanium, though not so bright as polished titanium or chromed steel, and it possesses the slightest blue cast, which gives it a fairly exotic appearance." We agree.

Why doesn't everybody use it, if it is so great?
    Try welding it and you’ll know the answer. This stuff is tough to work with. It is difficult to cut and especially tricky to weld. Our welder spent years in the aerospace industry and welded 3000+ frames at Merlin before he could do it well. Not all companies have this kind of welding experience to draw from. We must also make all of the small parts (cable stops, brake bosses etc.) to our specifications in stainless steel.
    ---------------

Sweet

And did the Metax frames last very well? Did they stand the extreme heat of welding?

- Melvin

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting that Melvin! I forgot they did a headshok version of the juke.

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004
    The stainless frames ended up having problems with cracking.

One of the former employees of a shop I worked at was sponsored by them for a bit. He had 3 of the stainless frames and broke all 3. He was a light finesse guy and never broke a frame before.
    My Artwork

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

Holy Chromoly!!
    The problem with stainless steel is due the 'stainlessness' it self. In order to call it stainless it needs to have at leas 12% Chrome alloyed in the material. This Chrome makes the carbon in the material to glother up more, which in term makes the material brittle. Stainless steel is not the most ideal material for applications where you have a more 'spring'-like application of forces working.

Welding stainless proves difficulties in several ways as well. For starters, its very hard to maintain straight alignment when working with stainless. Cold setting isn't that easy to do and certainly not in the benefit of the structural integrity of the whole construction.
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen
    The problem with stainless steel is due the 'stainlessness' it self. In order to call it stainless it needs to have at leas 12% Chrome alloyed in the material. This Chrome makes the carbon in the material to glother up more, which in term makes the material brittle. Stainless steel is not the most ideal material for applications where you have a more 'spring'-like application of forces working.

Welding stainless proves difficulties in several ways as well. For starters, its very hard to maintain straight alignment when working with stainless. Cold setting isn't that easy to do and certainly not in the benefit of the structural integrity of the whole construction.
    Would you be able to braze stainless? Seems like a no-brainer way to go.

I know Pegoretti showed a lugged stainless bike at Interbike so I would infer from this they are brazeable. He even gave it one of his hideous paint jobs. Why the hell would you paint a stainless frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Rhygin was run by a guy named Christian Jones, who was a friend of a roommate of mine in Cambridge in the mid '90s. I didn't know him too well, but he would come around our apartment once in a while. He hooked me up with a wholesale deal on parts for a frame that I had built by an ex Fat City welder named George Reynolds, who now makes recumbents.

I saw Christian at a party years later (post Rhygin) and from what he told me then, they had pretty much oriented all their production and marketing around the SS tube set, which was then discontinued by the manufacturer, leaving Rhygin in the lurch. I never rode one, but another roommate had a Rhygin SS road bike which had quite a bit of flex in the bottom bracket area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue
    Would you be able to braze stainless?
    Yes....sort of. Read this...

http://www.waltworks.com/dev/blog/953.php

mtbr member

A few more words on stainless steel & brazing....

Deer KB1 on eBay recently =>

Built with Poppe & Pothoff Noblex tubing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've got a dark red painted 1995 "Ra" frame, dinged and dented, that I still ride regularly and still love after all these years. When I purchased, it came down to a Rhygin or an IF, both equally tiny start-up frame builders in Somerville. Christian Jones was the guy and welder, at the time set up in part of the Maaco auto body shop on Somerville Ave. Before that I think he was out in Amherst post-college and after moved to a building in Charlestown one floor above the Tremont brewery.

In the later years, the stainless frames got pretty popular in the local road racing scene, but probably mostly because of Rhygin's generous sponsorship. Christian was a great craftsman but suffice it to say that the IF crew possesed the finer business acumen. Last I saw him years ago he was still building bikes, but for the military, some sort of top secret prototype commando bikes that he couldn't say much about.

The thing with Rhygins was the 1" steerer (1 1/8" is just a fad) and super-quick "east coast" geometry. They had a 72, maybe even 73 degree head angle and boasted being designed around the latest long-travel Mag-21 (63mm? 80mm?). Mine was always an endo machine but definitely adept in the woods.

With a White eccentric hub and custom Waltworks rigid fork, my frame is now built up as a 69er singlespeed and rolls in So Cal far from its NE roots. The big front wheel has mellowed out the geometry just enough and it rides incredibly well, better than ever and as nice as any hardtail I've ever been on. I have some photos on my home computer that I've been meaning to post as provocation on the 29er forum, I'll ltry to get them up here too.

artistic...
    that's it. even in the catalogue pics posted here you can SEE how steep and tight are the hardtails. it's NOT an IF clone and gives a very different woods ride..
    it's not a fat chance generic. fats are stable and slightly slow turning (at least the wicked) which is good when you think twice how are you going to pull that scary chute.

MaineMud
    Oct 2004

Headshock Juke

I had (still have) one.Christian miscalculated the head tube angle a little. It was about 74 degrees!!! Loved the bike in the twisties but that year was the "Year of the Endo" for me

Quote Originally Posted by DaveX
    Thanks for posting that Melvin! I forgot they did a headshok version of the juke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

tech info and press on Rhygins......

Greetings,
    I have some info to post on Rhygins from back when I had one. Any advice on how to get it posted? The files are too big and get rejected. I have a Mac

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Rhygin specs, geometry, pricing etc....

Attached are the pages I had from the late 90's. I think the files are too small, only way they would download. Any advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Tried to zoom, can't read.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

yeah I konw, i need to work with it

if I make it too large it won't download. I need some advice

mtbr member

the scans....

Scans by David Wilson. Thanks David

Review of the Rhygin Team by Bike Magazine, June 1994

2nd page of the Team review

1 page covering on the stainless steel Juke SS by MBA, September 1997

2 pages of the Rhygin catalogue

2nd page, including geo data

Pricelist

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Thanks 12k for helping with the post........

I had a Juke SS back in 98' and this was the old paper work I found in a lost file. To be honest I never loved that bike. I remember it never wanted to "settle" down, real twitchy at speed, made you feel at any monent it might jump out from under you, sometimes it did. It did climb like a goat, common trade-off. I'm back to good ol' steel.

fez
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile Rhygin History

I am stoked to find this thread and see people are still talking about Rhygin!

I was an original founder of the company, back in the late 80s. Christian, John and myself met as volunteers at the UMass Bicycle Co-op. John started working on making his own frame. Christian and I were both very interested in the project and wanted to make our own frames as well. John's original frame was very slack angled and long wheel base. very stable, but not especially quick. It was a very nice work of art for a first frame, all fillet brazed.

I think i was riding a Trek 990 at the time and i have no idea what Christian was riding. Since we were mostly riding the woods and trails of the amherst mass area (amethyst brook was a favorite, as well as the power lines), something quicker handling was desired. Now that i think about it, i think Christian was primarily a roadie and was a member of the UMass cycling team, but i could be wrong about that.

Also at about that time Rock Shox was coming out with their first forks (RS-1), we all realized suspension was going to change mountain biking (though i dont think any of us had any clue how much). But at the time no-one was designing bikes around the forks. they were available as add-ons that changed the geometry of the bike because the forks stood at least an inch taller than stock. knowing how we didnt like the ride of John's first bike, christian and john worked out a design with steeper head angles when fitted with a RS1.

Once we decided to build the bikes we realized that John's welding skills weren't really going to cut it for production bike building. Also, state of the art was moving to TIG welded frames and we had no idea how to do that. Another need was for production space, the bike co-op and john's garage were fine for building our own bikes, but if we were going to sell these things we needed more room. Just up the road from Amherst, in the town of Wendell, MA we found George.

George had been a aircraft maintenance welder for one of the big airlines in CA, but got laid off. I think his wife had some family in the Amherst area so George and his family relocated. George had a large metal working shop that he leased us some space in and we hired him to do our welding. He was also very helpful in designing bikes, George had been a CA state motorcycle trials champion in the early 70s so had some ideas on frame design and suspension. Though on his own he made some really funky frames. he thought low bottom brackets were a a problem so built elevated chainstay bikes with bb heights of up to 15".

George and John hit it off and really did a great job of building the bikes. Christian was the face, the guy who promoted the bikes, organized a team and had quite a bit of input in the designs. I pretty much kept things going, tried to find the money to pay the bills and kept our books (fairly) straight.

When it came time to find a name we struggled for quite a while. Could not come to any agreement about what we should name this new venture. Christian was taking a course in Afro-American Lit from Michael Thelwell at UMass. Thelwell is the author of the book 'The Harder They Come'. Christian came back from a trip to visit family in Philly and wanted to name the company Rhygin Racing Cycles. Rhygin was the nick name of Ivanhoe Martin, one of the first rude boys and the inspiration for the bicycle riding protagonist in The Harder They Come. It is a jamaican word meaning 'hot' or 'bad'. We had our name.

We put together a racing team, hit some races around new england and things seemed to be going pretty well. However John was really becoming a pain. Christian and i got along well, but neither of us could deal with John. John was getting impatient and wanted to start making money. Christian and I realized we were still a ways away from that, but we needed to keep workign at it. Personally, i did not think John would ever leave. He was the guy who built the first bike, really responsible for our build methods and our process for building bikes. So i took my leave and moved to Utah to begin a stint as a ski bum. In some ways i consider that to be an unfortunate decision because about a year later, John sold out to Christian. But the company realy was better off as a one man show.

I still had my original red powder coated Rhygin frame and moved around the rockies skiing and riding. When the frame finally cracked in 1996, I called up Christian. he still had the drawings for my original frame and built me a Juke HS to the specs of my old bike. I was a little skeptical of the Cannondale shock but really came to love it. as a bigger guy it was the most predictable and accurate shock i had ever used.

I never got the full story on how Rhygin died, but the rumors i heard were that Christian took an order for a bunch of bikes but didnt get any money in advance. After he had purchased all the materials and started building the bikes, the order got cancelled and he couldnt recover from the hit.

In 2000, i was riding my Juke up to Montana State to take a math test. making a left turn on main street, i got tagged by a 3/4 ton chevy. fractured my skull and destroyed my bike. such a heart break to see that thing go! i still use the old suntour underbar y shifter for my front derailleur and my red selle italia flite saddle. really the only things left from that bike.

I found this thread because i was listening to The Harder They Come and started thinking about Christian and what he was up to. So if anyone knows where he is these days, or if you come across this thread yourself, drop me an email at marc.fez at gmail.

thanks for providing the memories guys!

velocipede technician
    well thats just awesome.
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member

Thanks...

By far the most interesting thread on the vintage forum in a long time...

Wonderful story, Fez.

Thanks for sharing.
    Canadian Parts on Canadian Bikes in Canada

If you have to ask...
    That's about as "straight from the horse's mouth" as we ever get. It's cool to hear the story like that.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

mtbr member
    I met Christian on the local NE racing circuit, he was a super nice guy who let me ride his bike to try it. Nice ride!

At one point, it was hard choosing between a Yo-eddy, Rygin, Ted Wojick or Indy!

underachiever

Wow...

...it was great to find this thread! I still have my Rhygin, though my brand new Ted Wojcik gets more saddle time these days. I have the Ra model and bought it brand new from Belmont Wheelworks in 1996, though it was either a 1994 or 1995 leftover model. It's super light: 21 pounds with a Rock Shox Judy, and is an amazing northeast singletrack bike. Kudos to the person that posted the Bike Magazine article. It was that article that ultimately prompted me to buy the Rhygin.

I have attached a photo of me last year at the 24 Hours of Great Glen on the sweet Rhygin.
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 05:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sweet. Here's mine, currently running as singlespeed.
    Looking forward to racing it at Keyesville after I throw on some cantilevers.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by autoduel
    Sweet. Here's mine, currently running as singlespeed. Looking forward to racing it at Keyesville after I throw on some cantilevers.
    Very nice! I debated the single-speed option, but ended up keeping the existing drivetrain. I recently put slicks on it (with new wheels) for city commuting, but just had to put the fat tires back on because it's just a shame not to use this for its intended terrain!

The weird thing about my frame is that is doesn't have a serial number stamped on it. I called Christian before Rhygin went belly-up and he said to bring it down and he's stamp a number on it. I imagine the paint is so thick it could be hiding the number.

Here's a better photo of mine:
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 05:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Mine had the number under the BB. It was #600 w/o paint

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    does anyone know if Rhygin built his road bikes with a matching unicrown straight bladed fork? and did he use lugs at all? i found a link on another site and the bike is metax tubing but no mfg. stickers on it and the owner is looking for answers. i mentioned it may be a Rhygin since they were on of a few who used Metax. here's the link if your curious:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=391266

The Anchor

retro ride in october, featuring at least 4 rhygin's

calling all old rhygin owners, please rsvp for a ride in Sutton, MA on October 11th, 11am. the Team BUms "Tour de Swamp" retro ride will feature a few ex team riders.

we were the first semi sponsored (awesome pro deal) group, Team Bums hooked up with christian in 1991, and a few of us rode them in 1992.

please rsvp for the ride, old fats,merlins, etc welcome to ride, no squishy's unless they are pre-1993, rigids welcome as always......

i'll post some old rhygin shots soon, including shots of #2, that we raced in brooksville FL in the winter of 1991.....

mtbr member
    Team Bums? I remember you guys, you were the first "nuts" wearing visors on your helmets, waaay ahead of the curve! I recall a guy, Don Green-something?

Remember Team Scumbags? I was one.

Where can I find info on the ride? I'm nursing a blown knee, but may show up!

The Anchor

blast form the past

team SCUMBAG? who the hell could ever forget you guys!!!! one of you sent me a certificate for performing a near perfect endo at the hillsboro classic, and coming up laughing with a face full of mud!!! i unfortunately lost the certificate a few years back in a fire, but i was most proud of earning that.

i had wondered where you guys have been. the ride is from my house.

email me and i will give you directions. its going to be a casual to slow ride ( i am fat and slow hence the anchor )

i hope you can make it!

saltydogcharters@gmail.com

and its Don Greenwood

mtbr member
    Holy $^%$ batman!!!

I made that award!

Man, that was a funny endo, a classic! I remember us guys talkn' trash like "pumps in the spokes" at many starting lines!

Small world! I'll be in touch!

Yeah, who isn't slow and fat these days? I knew your full last name, I was trying to "protect the innocent"

The Hillsboro Classic. 15 minutes from the house I grew up in. Possibly the greatest race ever.

Please. Someone else drop some east coast names (that weren't at ski areas). Second Start Enduro?

underachiever

make that 5 Rhygins

Quote Originally Posted by the anchor
    calling all old rhygin owners, please rsvp for a ride in Sutton, MA on October 11th, 11am.
    Wow! I was so incredibly excited when I read this. I'm elated to know there are a few more Rhygins in my neck of the woods, and am super psyched for this ride. I have only seen 2 Rhygins in the Boston area, and both those were road bikes. Definitely count me in for the event, though I might not be able to ride as I had elbow surgery on 8/21, and I can't ride for 6 - 8 weeks. Hopefully I'll be given the green light by then. Here's a photo of my bike how it currently looks after a recent overhaul, and here's the thread I started with more photos. I might even bring my Yo Eddy.
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Ti Fat
    Dec 2006
    Here's a pic of my '98 Rhygin stainless. I ride this bike regularly.

mtbr member
    Hillsboro was fantastic! They also put on a pre season April pt to pt ride on the same course, for fun, no?

Second Start? I loved that race! Did it many times. Knox races in Western ma were fun. Put on by Bicycle Dynamics, Mark Jenks! Awesome guy. Wolf Hill Enduro?

Hmmm, Pine Mountain and Wrath of Valley falls in CT, Tread head and Trackmaster in Wrentham MA, Greasy wheel White Mountain challenge in NH

Temple mountain series: 3 races during the season. That was my very first my race. Oh, sorry, was Temple a ski place?

Lynn Woods Races, my home away from home, Arcadia hell races in RI, and an early season time trial, man, my brain is starting to hurt.

Boston Cup in Needham? Chris Chance let me ride a Ti Proto. Should have stole it!

Temple Mountain in Peterborough. Yeah, "ski area." Did you ever ski there? Did you ever ski at crotched?

Wrath of the Boneyard.

Meadow Muffin Madness.

No Name Race.

The Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook
    Temple Mountain in Peterborough. Yeah, "ski area." Did you ever ski there? Did you ever ski at crotched?

Wrath of the Boneyard.

Meadow Muffin Madness.

No Name Race.

meadow muffin madness was my first race in 1988. where the hell was that held?

i remember the meadow group downhill ride and the log pull!!!

no one mentioned the "tour de swamp" in millbury/webster (my race)

The Anchor

more east coast races

jack rabbit run - norwalk, ct

rockhopper east - Glastonbury, Ct (?)

mtbr member
    Tour de swamp: I have a T-shirt somewhere, headless rider?

Heck ya, I recall a certain "roadie" who was protesting being dq'ed. The crowd was chanting, "throw him in the mud" (bog), and the police arrived to remove him from the "podium". He was a talented rider, but a real ********.

Ahhh. good times!

I know it's a ski resort, but the Widowmaker at Sugarlaof was always a challenging race. I almost hit a deer!

Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    Tour de swamp: I have a T-shirt somewhere, headless rider?

Heck ya, I recall a certain "roadie" who was protesting being dq'ed. The crowd was chanting, "throw him in the mud" (bog), and the police arrived to remove him from the "podium". He was a talented rider, but a real ********.
    I heard that story from someone else too. MM?

West Hill Shop Race

Power Cirtcuit

Eastern Cup

If you didn't get lost in an EFTA race, you weren't east coast. You can still see results if you archive the west hill shop website.

The Anchor
    Make sure you dig that shirt out for the ride!!

"PC" was later memorialized in a "quit yer shiverin'" ice race shirt, rather infamously as Jacque Mehough. Funny stuff

What was the race in vermont @ stallion mountain inn? It was part of my point series but I can't remember the name of the race?

mtbr member
    Make sure you dig that shirt out for the ride!!
    Yeah. Like it's gonna fit me now!

I had a big duffle bag full of race t-shirts, found my wife using them as rags a few years back. "Why do you want to keep these old things for"...no, she isn't a rider...

I'm actually surprised PC didn't get tossed in the mud. The cops probably saved his skin!

I joined EFTA right away back then, and stayed a NORBA member just for Mt Snow.

I gave that up when they gave me a "short" reply to a question about "what are you doing for anyone east of the Missippi?, and when they screwed Steve Larson I stopped supporting them altogether.

The Anchor

mr rhygin is in

just got word back from christian jones he plans to attend the tour de swamp rhygin reunion retro ride on october 11th, hes not sure if hell ride, but hell be there for the post ride activities

all you rhygin fans on the east coast who want to share a mile or a beer with christian, you gotta make this ride........

underachiever
    just got word back from christian jones he plans to attend the tour de swamp rhygin reunion retro ride on october 11th, hes not sure if hell ride, but hell be there for the post ride activities

all you rhygin fans on the east coast who want to share a mile or a beer with christian, you gotta make this ride........
    Fantastic!

mtbr member
    I'll keep names out of this, but someone I know who was involved somehow with Rhygin at the end mentioned that the SS failures were due to the fact that the seat tube juncture was not adequately reinforced so they had a spate of failures.

Apparently Christian skipped town like many in this industry do it seems owing people money. I haven't heard anything about a big run of frames and no deposit, which sounds like a real stupid thing to do.

Chris Igleheart as a lot of the Rhygin tooling and is probably the modern day 'stainless guru'.

Anyway, take all that with a huge grain of salt because I wasn't there.

Doncha love the bike industry?!
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

The Anchor

more rhygin propaganda

we actually gave away a frameset to the womens sport winner (if i remember correctly)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Retro ride still on?

The Anchor
    hell yes, you think i am going to miss the opportunity to ride with a couple of scumbags!

underachiever
    hell yes, you think i am going to miss the opportunity to ride with a couple of scumbags!
    really looking forward to the gathering. unfortunately, I won't be back in the saddle for the ride, but will bring the Ra and the '92 Yo for show and tell.

The Anchor
    great, the ride will head off at 11 am sharp, and we will be back at 1-1:30.

send me an email and i can shoot you the location,

The Anchor

saturdays retro ride schedule

the ride is still on, looking to get people here between 10 and 10:30 before the ride to get photo's of bikes before the ride. ride takes off at 11 am sharp, 2 groups. app 2 hour ride , then burgers and dogs between 1-2pm. if your not going to make the ride plan on arriving around 1pm.

email me if you need directions,

mtbr member
    misterdangerpants: ride with one arm! My knee is shot, and I plan on limping along!
    I may have to leave early, kids hockey games...but totally looking forward to it!

DG: did you get that Rygin built? Oh, yeah LOVE the Tomac photo!

underachiever
    misterdangerpants: ride with one arm!
    Well, yesterday I got the green light from my orthopedic surgeon to get back in the saddle, so I will most certainly be riding this coming weekend.

The Anchor

the rygin will live

had to spray bomb the frame and fork after bead blasting it, didn't have time to give it a "real" powder coat Job", but once its dirty no one will ever know.
    i have bearings on the way to rebuild both the bullseye rear hub, and sampson fluted ti bb. also got last minute donation of my old mavic wishbone shifters. Grafton cranks and brakes ready to be installed, along with a ringle moby post and old flite saddle all set. i got some cool nos geax tires in green sidewall. also got donations of xt fr and rear ders (bead blasted) along with the return of my first 737 pedals including the srp ti axles.

it was really sweet to get a hold of so many old parts that i had sold/given away when i had my shop. i even have one of my old kestrel csx's at the house, not rideable yet, its owner has requested a ss conversion on it. its got purple grafton speed controllers, purple ringle post, and bottle cages, and diacompe ss-7 levers in purple!!!!

see you saturday!!!

The Anchor
    great news, are going to hang back with the slow and old? or head up with the moderate pace (always turns into fast pace) group?

underachiever
    great news, are going to hang back with the slow and old? or head up with the moderate pace (always turns into fast pace) group?
    I am going to err on the side of caution and stick with the caboose crew.

The Anchor

Rhygin Retro Reunion

Just a quick thanks to Tony and and Bobby who made it out for the ride. 5 rhygins (all mountains) made it out. Christian had a work commitment he couldn't get out of (he left a message as the beers started flowing). I will post photo's as sson as i can.

I also had Rhygin Bike decals made, and have at least one request for them. i am going to get some made in a larger size too (t-shirts???), i'll keep you posted, and email me if interested.

underachiever

underachiever

underachiever

underachiever

underachiever

artistic...
    life is good.

mtbr member
    Anchor-boy, thank you for a perfect day! Great New England weather, good food, a great time! Who knew a BUM could be such a good host? The videos brought back so many memories, you have a great group of riding pals!

Great to see all the Rhygins! I forgot they didn't have a chainstay bridge, as well as the other details. MrDPant's is sweet! Nice "stealth" look yours! Next year spring for 3 cans of paint, I expect to see rasta!

Who knows? Maybe I'll come out in the spring and dominate your time trials series. The stories you guys spin are worth the drive! Thanks again, I'll catch you later.

mtbr member
    http://doublecrosswebzine.blogspot.c...rd-cycles.html

Found this above, good read on the Smorgy!

underachiever
    Anchor-boy, thank you for a perfect day! Great New England weather, good food, a great time! Who knew a BUM could be such a good host? The videos brought back so many memories, you have a great group of riding pals!
    ditto.

that singletrack was fantastic, I tell you. fantastic. although, I had an equally joyful time perusing through those old photo albums. almost makes me want to grow a mullet...

underachiever
    http://doublecrosswebzine.blogspot.c...rd-cycles.html

Found this above, good read on the Smorgy!
    cool. that was actually a pretty nice ride. haven't seen tri-spoke wheels on a bike in ages!

mtbr member
    I'm so glad my thread spawned this retro get together. Wish I could have been there on my '97 Indy Fab. Great bikes everyone!

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveX
    I'm so glad my thread spawned this retro get together. Wish I could have been there on my '97 Indy Fab. Great bikes everyone!
    Me too. I would have never found this site if this thread hadn't come up in my Google search.

Hopefully you can make the next get together!

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    The Juke SS is the Rygin that I remember the most.

Nice photos from your gathering!

What? No Dart/Smoke combos on any of those frames? :-)

Honestly? I was scrolling down through the photos and spied that Smor first thing!
    I own one. Great frame! In "baby poop brown" as Chris Daily said it back in the day when I bought the frame from him up in Hershey, PA.

There's a complete history of Smorgasbord Cycles posted on the most recent Blog on Dirt Rag's website, just as an FYI.

Unsure if this link will work or not.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/blogarific...t-steel-feast/
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

The Anchor

rhygin decal sets and t-shirts

got permission to make some RHYGIN t-shirts and decal sets. decal set in black or white is $10, shop size head tube logo (12") in white or black is $8, and t-shirts black with white head tube logo will be $12. if interested please contact me. t-shirts will be contracted once i get 10 confirmed (read: paid) orders. i have 5 as we speak, any others interested contact me
    quickly saltydogcharters (at) gmail (dot) com paypal works too. pricing includes 1st class postage, can expedite for more $$$, but you've waited this long for a rhygin t, whats a couple more days!
    Quit Yer Snivelin'

The Anchor

decals are in, shirts are ordered (2 weeks to shipping)

i have decal sets in black left over if anyone is intersted?

bobby, they will be at your door either tomorrow or friday, thanks
    Quit Yer Snivelin'

underachiever
    nice addition to the MINI...

Attachment 408448

mtbr member
    Dangerpants: How's the elbow?
    Mini: What size was that car before you threw it in the dryer?

underachiever
    Dangerpants: How's the elbow?
    Mini: What size was that car before you threw it in the dryer?
    yo. elbow is still somewhat not quite where I want it to be in the healing process. after 6 weeks of physical therapy (twice a week), it's feels better. can't really cycle without pain or stiffness, so I'll have to wait until next year for pain-free riding. looking forward to building up my Ted Wojcik over the winter, though. hoping my Phil Wood hubs will arrive this week along with my Black Sheep order (handlebars, stem & seat post).

love the MINI, though want to sell it and get a 1984 Rabbit GTI.

The Anchor

T-shirts

those shirts are supposed to be ready next wednesday. i will be shipping them out thwe following wednesday, so if you paid for some, expect them to arrive around the 2nd week of december! i ordered a couple extra so if you want one let me know!
    Quit Yer Snivelin'

mtbr member
    This is a long shot but the bike magazine article in June 94 had another rasta paint job bike in it but I don't remember what it was, anyone have any idea?

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo1
    This is a long shot but the bike magazine article in June 94 had another rasta paint job bike in it but I don't remember what it was, anyone have any idea?
    Nevil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants
    Nevil.
    That was the one, I liked the idea of the low and long, now that EWR is back I have been thinking real hard about getting one of those.

The Anchor

T-Shirts finally done, shipping out today!

sorry about the delay, my Printer is an "artist", hence you cannot rush him, he prints when he is inspired!

if you paid already, they are on their way, and hope you see them before christmas!

dangerpants, i am sending out your two smalls today too, please send me paypal when you get a minute......

i have 3 left, 1-xl, 2-large....if you want them let me know!
    Quit Yer Snivelin'

underachiever
    sorry about the delay, my Printer is an "artist", hence you cannot rush him, he prints when he is inspired!

if you paid already, they are on their way, and hope you see them before christmas!

dangerpants, i am sending out your two smalls today too, please send me paypal when you get a minute......

i have 3 left, 1-xl, 2-large....if you want them let me know!

cool. e-mailed you.

Ti Fat
    Dec 2006
    Got mine today. Nice Job! I'll wear it to Pedro's, er I mean Kenda Bike Fest next summer. Merry Christmas!

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrsddn
    Got mine today. Nice Job!
    ditto.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Delivered yesterday, looks great, thanks.

The Anchor

ALERT: Aluminum road Bike for sale in Phoenix

Quit Yer Snivelin'

underachiever
    cool. nice color.

you know, I was talking to an acquaintance recently from the Hartford, CT area and he said there was a Rhygin cyclocross bike on consignment at a local bike shop. it was still listed on their web site, so I called, but alas it had been sold. :-(

are you aware that Christian made CX bikes? never heard of these being produced.

p.s. it was actually a Metax frame, too.
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 01-27-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Ti Fat
    Dec 2006
    Is that CL bike Aluminum? I've never seen a non steel Rhygin.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrsddn
    Is that CL bike Aluminum? I've never seen a non steel Rhygin.
    edit: I just checked out the catalog (on Page 1 of this thread) and it states he did custom work, so maybe it is aluminum. also saw the CX prices, so answered my own question....

The Anchor
    he did cross bikes and nearing the end he did aluminum bikes too. one of our locals owned an aluminum road in rasta and i believe his cx bike is aluminum too. not sure how many al bikes he made but they are certainly the rarest.
    Quit Yer Snivelin'

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Team Bums? I remember you guys, you were the first "nuts" wearing visors on your helmets, waaay ahead of the curve! I recall a guy, Don Green-something?

Remember Team Scumbags? I was one.

Where can I find info on the ride? I'm nursing a blown knee, but may show up!
    Wow! I was a BUM rider.

Don Greenwood is who you;re thinking of. And Howie, before everyone started calling him Otto with Rhygin, and Roger Sabourin, and Kathy Kratt.....

That "Roadie" who got thrwon out and arrested was none other then Paul Curley, twenty-something-time road and cyclocross national champion.

The Hillsboro Classic- the reason the turkeys are on the thsirt is becasue the prior year, there were a couple wild turkeys on the road about a half mile from the finish and they kept attacking the riders!

Good times, good races, exceot for temple mountain that race always sucked.

Tem Bums. mooning the crowd when we came by the start finish....

BUMS - Blackstone's Untamed Mud Slingers....betcha din't know that. I still have my shirt, gotta save that one....

The Anchor

who are you S14E30M3?

drop me an email at saltydogcharters(at)gmail(dot)com.....

the anchor
    Quit Yer Snivelin'

The Anchor

Rhygin Reunion, and Rhygin for sale

we had so much fun last year, we are doing it again this year, will probably be the weekend of the 20th in september (i will firm up the date soon), same place here in Central Mass, all old pre 94 bikes are welcome!!!! stay tuned for more informstion...

also another old team mate has finally decided to part ways with his pre juke, 1991 Rhygin, he is only asking $500, and has it listed on craigslist. i hope it finds a suitable home....

http://worcester.craigslist.org/bik/1275609890.html
    Quit Yer Snivelin'

mtbr member
    I outed that one on retrobike the last time he listed it. Surprised no one went for it---looks like a nice ride.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I emailed the guy selling the red Rhygin on CL to show him this thread (or another Rhygin thread?) on MTBR. He said he was going to post to thread, lets hope he does. I had no idea Rhygin started at UMass -- my alma mater. I've ridden Amethyst Brook many times!

mtbr member
    If it were my size I'd have totally grabbed it! That said, the rasta paint version I probably would have bought even if it weren't my size
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 34