Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Man, good work (except for that damn skinny front tireÖ). I think I recall those bonehead guys back in the day.

Finnish her up, and ride it!
    Iím still riding many of those same parts, including that EFC fork!

The Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by apat13 View Post
    Hey folks--
    This is an early Rhygin that belonged to a bike shop colleague/boss/riding buddy from many years ago. A little while ago he divested his entire collection of old New England MTB stuff to me for care/sale as part of a trade towards a new bike (he was moving, just couldn't take it all with him). He worked for Pig Iron in CT back in the hey day, and raced for/with what he described to me as a "loose collection of jabroni's that liked messing with serious racers" - aptly named "Team Bonhead". He didn't really have an explanation for the "Fueled by BEEF TALLOW" sticker except to say "it is what is was."

He brought me the frame, boxes and boxes and boxes of parts, 3 forks, and 3 sets of wheels, all of which were raced/used on this bike at some point. He could not remember the exact year he bought it (he thinks 91--but stressed he really can't recall), and she was upgraded many times over the years. Last year, after he dropped everything off before the move, we mock fit things back up to the best of his memory as he had last raced it, and I am still working with him now to nail down its "correct" parts kit based on the generations of stuff he brought in. I am particularly fond of the Gravity Research brakes (color mismatched intentionally, still has original boxes and hand written instructions), early White Industries Hubs, and no-logo turquoise king headset. My goal is to have her restored for light riding and preservation as a prime example of an early New England norba racer, complete with all the obscure and weird parts any normal Shimano-hating bonehead of the time would have proudly equipped (only Shimano bits on the whole bike are the derailleurs). I have scoured the BB area but cannot find any indication of a serial number, which suggests to me it is either a really early one or was off the books. FWIW- he said he bought it directly from Christian.

Attachment 938250
    Attachment 938252
    Attachment 938253
    Attachment 938251
    Attachment 938254
    i'll ask Christian about it, i vaguely remember that powered by beef tallow, and Team Bonehead.....
    Quit Yer Snivelin'

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the anchor View Post
    i'll ask Christian about it, i vaguely remember that powered by beef tallow, and Team Bonehead.....
    The owner said the he and the other bonehead guys had various decals made and stickered up their bikes themselves, so I assumed it was of their doing and no actual relationship to Rhygin but I really don't know. Any info is appreciated! Are there other Rhygins that exist sans serial number? Also, if any other Team Bonehead guys are out there feel free to chime in--I would love to learn more of the history behind that crew.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

Really cool. I raced against a lot of the Pig Iron guys BITD. They were in Glastonbury right?

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    Really cool. I raced against a lot of the Pig Iron guys BITD. They were in Glastonbury right?
    You got it! From what I was told they were one of the first shops selling Rhygins (and other cool regional stuff like gravity research) and the "team" had a sweet deal with Christian before they were even selling them so they were all rocking early Rhygins. Again, this all comes from the hazy memory of an old friend (who was a teenager in 1990-91) so I don't know how much is accurate but it is what I have been told. I know he raced this bike for a long time....of the many parts he gave me that at one time adorned the frame there were:

*Manitou 1, 2, 4 (x2) and EFC (3 of which have the original boxes and purchase receipts from Answer-Manitou--one of the boxes is covered in melted elastomers because it was stored too close to his furnace)
    *3 sets of cranks including the kooka's pictured (w/ White Ind ti BB), White Indutries US made(w/ ti BB), and Cook Bros Purple Ano
    *4 complete Gravity research brakes with original hand labeled boxes and hand written instructions (someone there had pretty handwriting): the Pipe Dreams and Rim Crushers pictured, with parts swapped around to mix up the colors, a NOS set of purple ANO rim crushers and a lightly used set of silver pipe dreams
    *XT Thumbies, and more sets of X-Ray 800's then I know what to do with
    *Lots o' wheels: White industries Ti to Fir rims as in picture, Deore DX to Fir/Campag Rims, XTR M900 to Mavic, and later M950 to Mavic w/ marwi Ti spokes (x2)
    *A crap ton of 3DV Answer Hyperlights - 4 of them NOS in the package--originally retailed for $39.99!
    *and a whole bunch of other stuff I am still sorting through - latest discovery were some NOS 3DV Gravity research ti skewers (thread down....totally sketchy)

The handlebar setup on the bike was intact in his parts bin as you see it, with the paul levers, xrays, black hyperlight, and control tech stem - and he thinks it is definitly the way he last rode it. He also thought the purple cook bros cranks and the 3DV hyperlights were on the bike at some point but wasn't sure when. I put the kooka's on it because they were there, with rings, and were definitely a part of the bike at some point (and also aren't cracked!). King headset he said had been on the frame as long as he could remember (and was installed when he brought it to me). I have some beat smoke/darts and Psycho K's that he gave me, but I think there are a few years younger than the rest of the gear.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Another note--he also said he thought the Pig Iron guys used to run the Gravity Research brakes opposite of what is pictured--Pipe Dreams on the front and Rim Crushers on the rear, but all the info I could find says that the pipes go on the back and the crushers go on the front so that is how I set them up. Was very sad to discover when cleaning them for install that both brakes have hairline cracks around the mounting hole....something I see so often with most early 90's CNC goodies.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by apat13 View Post
    I have scoured the BB area but cannot find any indication of a serial number, which suggests to me it is either a really early one or was off the books.
    Nice! By the way, my 1994 Rhygin Ra also has no serial number. I actually called Christian back around 1997 to request one be stamped. He said no problem and to just stop by but I never got around to it.

Speaking of Christian , he popped over a couple years back and gave me these lovely NOS Rhygin bibs and shorts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have number 425, its a cross bike with the cables routed on the top tube, it was one of my favorite bikes to ride and the down tube cracked about 10 years ago but I got it fixed. Right now though its sitting in my garage, right before the season I noticed a crack at the seat tube, BB joint

The Anchor
    metax? post up some photo's!!!
    Quit Yer Snivelin'

Pics?

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yeah Metax, and with Henry James dropouts too. Ill try to post some pics of it in its current state tonight, I really want to get the crack fixed so I can build it up again!

Do any of you guys know what its original build kit was? My dad got it used more then 15 years ago. I had a mix of pretty much everything on it

The Anchor
    most were ordered as frames, so it could have had anything hung on it!
    Quit Yer Snivelin'

Retro Guru
    I just had to resurrect this thread....

Here's the Rhygin I found in the US and had it shipped to the Netherlands. Always lusted after a rasta Rhygin.

No info on it and NO serialnumber... Anybody can help me with this one...?

Thanks,
    Bart

Rhygin Racing Cycles?-720.jpg

mtbr member
    Fantastic! Awesome bikes. Thatís the proper way to bring back a thread, complete with picture.

Retro Guru
    Some teasers...

Retro Guru
    Here is the finished bike!

Retro Guru
    Rhygin Racing Cycles?-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rhygin Racing Cycles?-360.jpg  

mtbr member

Rhygin Metax Road

Just wanted to bring this thread back to life. Here is my Metax road. I'm the second owner. Its up for sale if anyone is interested!

Rhygin Racing Cycles?-img_4598.jpgRhygin Racing Cycles?-img_4599.jpgRhygin Racing Cycles?-img_4600.jpgRhygin Racing Cycles?-img_4602.jpgRhygin Racing Cycles?-img_4606.jpgRhygin Racing Cycles?-img_4607.jpgRhygin Racing Cycles?-img_4613.jpgRhygin Racing Cycles?-img_4614.jpgRhygin Racing Cycles?-img_4615.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 33