mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Returning my bike to rigid...

I've got a 1994 Stumpjumper I put a suspension fork on many years ago. I unfortunately lost track of the original rigid fork in a series of moves, over the years.

Also, unfortunately, my bike is the largest size (21.5") with the longest headtube. 1" steerer tube, of course... What are the odds of being able to find an original fork? Anyone have a source? Is there something else out there that would work for me?

I'm getting a new bike and I want to turn this into a rigid single speed.

Thanks!

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTec View Post
    I've got a 1994 Stumpjumper I put a suspension fork on many years ago. I unfortunately lost track of the original rigid fork in a series of moves, over the years.

Also, unfortunately, my bike is the largest size (21.5") with the longest headtube. 1" steerer tube, of course... What are the odds of being able to find an original fork? Anyone have a source? Is there something else out there that would work for me?

I'm getting a new bike and I want to turn this into a rigid single speed.

Thanks!
    First off, good idea going back to full rigid as the bike was intended.

Second...Specialized put out so many bikes (even in the large size), that finding a fork shouldn't be that difficult. Might be from a different year/different color...but there are more difficult parts to find, thats for sure.

For example...unlikely this guy is gonna sell all these forks for $300...but that one on the end should have enough steerer for your frame. Make him an offer, dirty style off the books. Might get lucky.

Lot of 5* Double Butted Steel Forks Vintage 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper ATB | eBay

Also try your local Craigslist. They're out there. Its just gonna take a bit of timing and patience.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    For example...unlikely this guy is gonna sell all these forks for $300...but that one on the end should have enough steerer for your frame. Make him an offer, dirty style off the books. Might get lucky.

Lot of 5* Double Butted Steel Forks Vintage 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper ATB | eBay

Also try your local Craigslist. They're out there. Its just gonna take a bit of timing and patience.
    Rumpfy is correct. I get a lot of stuff that way. I just had a guy end 4 auctions for me that way. When it comes to money nothing is sacred. Good luck.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'll keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist and see what happens. Not going to contact that guy with those forks, tho, because they are 1.25", not 1" but I get the idea.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTec View Post
    I'll keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist and see what happens. Not going to contact that guy with those forks, tho, because they are 1.25", not 1" but I get the idea.

Oop, missed that part. Sorry 'bout that man. I saw 89 and assumed 1"
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2