Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Retro susp fork/cantilever brake problem

951 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  fervor 
#1 · (Edited)
I decided to update the crap old Rockshock Indy forks on a spare bike to something that actually works and is a bit better/lighter but I have a problem. I just realised that i'm running old (but good) 7-speed XT brake/shifter combos that won't take V-brakes. I have to use old cantilever brakes (this 7spd stuff, including shifter/der/cassette/rear wheel hub is all in good nick so I want to use it - plus its only gonna be a spare bike).

This means that I can't use SIDs etc as I need the support on the fork brace for the cable housing, like the fork brace older forks had (mag21s, Manitou II). The bike geometry won’t take more than 75mm forks, and it’s a 1-1/8” steerer.

My question for you history buffs and fork boffins is what would be the best/newest suitable susp fork that still has the cable housing post on the forkbrace?

OR

Could I use the Indy lowers which have the cable mount on the fork brace and fit them onto say SID stanchions/crown/steerer assy. I believe even the Indys were mag castings like the better forks of the time – Judy etc, could be wrong though.

ORR

Does someone know of mods I could perform to the old Rockshock Indys to have them function better (or at least function…). I remember the Englund kits but from memory they only fitted the indy C and XC. Mine is the lowest poverty version ‘Indy’.

ORRRR

Are there old brakes that are compatible with old cant levers and don’t need the cable housing support. Like some early non-shimano V-brake attempts. This would allow the use of SIDs etc.

C’mon people this is a good brainteaser if nothing else.

(I know I could junk the lot but that’s not the point)

BTW I’m in Australia, so am a bit limited with parts availability.

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
My recommendation would be to look for an early Judy on eBay. You should be able to get one for cheap, and it will be many times better than the Indy you've been ridding. For XC riding they do fine - just make sure that the oil cartridge is not blown (which is common) or you'll not have any rebound dampning.

Most of these are 63mm, but there were 80mm ones available too.

#5 ·
purdyboy said:
I. I just realised that i'm running old (but good) 7-speed XT brake/shifter combos that won't take V-brakes.

You can run V brakes and cantilever levers with adapters. There are a couple of brands. I use problem solvers to run XT V brakes with XT cantilever levers. Works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.