Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004

The Reseda to the Sea Afterglow thread.

I couldn't make Keyesville this year but lucky for me we had a pretty cool little event closer to home this weekend. The weather was perfect and we had about 70-80 riders of all shapes and sizes. Victor Vincente was there for his 72nd birthday along with Aaron Cox. Victor brought a bike that he designed and built way back in the 80's. It looked like someone had used it for a boat anchor. He completely smoked everone on it. Anyway there were some very interesting bikes so I thought I would post a few photos. I rode my Elgin and if I had to describe the ride in one word that word would be Brutal but we all had a great time.

Victor parked in front of me and pulled this thing out of his car. I looked at it and thought I would have no problem keeping up with an old guy on this thing. Boy was I wrong.

Here is one built by Lynskey himself.

A nice little post war:

An MB-1

A nice Yeti:

This bike was perhaps the most interesting to me at least. See if you can guess the manufacturer and take a close look and tell me if you can figure out what all the bolt holes on the tubes are for. This bike has a really cool story behind it. Here is a hint: The builders sister was at the ride. Her bike was very colorful.

And this bike, for me this was the show stopper. The rider custom built the frame and the brakes. He also custom modded the handlebars adding Ti brake levers. He used ti tubing to make the cable housing himself. He made the shifter lever and rod out of Ti. The brakes have a custom elongated pad made from 2 xtr pads back to back.

http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    That bottom ti bike is cool; love the front shifter set up!

Victor is awesome. It's the rider, not the bike.

John Slawta is my guess for the black frame.

An '89 MB-1 no less with the Koski fork and *****en vintage Sidis!

...and everyone there knows how to properly use toe straps!!

Looks like a killer ride! What was Aaron Cox riding? Would have loved to chat with him.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Thats a good turnout.

Black mystery bike looks like maybe an early Landshark or a Gecko/Ken Beach. No idea what the extra bosses are for though.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Actually Aaron was quite sick so he decided not to ride. Instead he drug about 40 pounds of camera equipment up the trail to take photos. I will post some of those once I have them.

John Slawta is a good guess! His sister was there on her own LandShark. Now I wonder if anyone can guess what the bolt holes are for? Keep in mind the ride was close to Hollywood.

The Ti bike was pretty crazy. The brakes were just incredible. I wish I had a better photo of the gears inside the levers. They are machined Ti as well. The brake arm sits on a ramped bearing so the pads bite into the rim with a very progressive feel almost like a hydro disk brake. Masterfully engineered. I have to get the guys website.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Actually Aaron was quite sick so he decided not to ride. Instead he drug about 40 pounds of camera equipment up the trail to take photos. I will post some of those once I have them.

John Slawta is a good guess! His sister was there on her own LandShark. Now I wonder if anyone can guess what the bolt holes are for? Keep in mind the ride was close to Hollywood.

The Ti bike was pretty crazy. The brakes were just incredible. I wish I had a better photo of the gears inside the levers. They are machined Ti as well. The brake arm sits on a ramped bearing so the pads bite into the rim with a very progressive feel almost like a hydro disk brake. Masterfully engineered. I have to get the guys website.
    Ramped bearing? Sounds like maybe the Scott Pedersons.

Are the braze ons for a camera mount?

That ride is a historical must do. If it's not on the same day as Keyesville would be a good one to get a big vintage group to go.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Sweet. Thanks for the thread and pics, A. Also thanks for the junk on the tt pics.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Yeah sorry about that. Lots of man junk but don't blame me. Even out in the open I was getting a contact high. I only got pictures of about 1/4 of the VRC worthy bikes that showed up. I have a brief go pro vid of Victor passing me and railing a corner that I couldn't stick in my wildest dreams. The old guys on the old bikes really hauled ass.

And FB is right. The bolt holes are for camera mounts. That bike was used in in the movie Quicksilver for the traffic scenes.

mtbr member
    Yeah sorry about that. Lots of man junk but don't blame me. Even out in the open I was getting a contact high. I only got pictures of about 1/4 of the VRC worthy bikes that showed up. I have a brief go pro vid of Victor passing me and railing a corner that I couldn't stick in my wildest dreams. The old guys on the old bikes really hauled ass.

And FB is right. The bolt holes are for camera mounts. That bike was used in in the movie Quicksilver for the traffic scenes.
    Was too busy lookin at bikes to notice the man junk.

Quicksilver? Cool. The Hollywood clue tipped me off. It's been a couple decades since I've seen that one. Would love to see the video of Victor railing a corner!

...and pics of Slawta's sister's bike if you got any.

velocipede technician

thats pretty cool!

as a total aside, anyone know what brand of truing stand appeared in that movie? I picked one up a while ago and I cant figure out who made it
    looking for 20-21" P team

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I have a brief go pro vid of Victor passing me and railing a corner that I couldn't stick in my wildest dreams.
    Did he do it on one of his bikes? Double the awesomeness if he did.

Tinker kicked ass at Keyesville as usual.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Actually I was wrong. Aaron C. did ride but I didn't catch what he was riding. Taylor was the sick cameraman.

Aaron C. and Victor:

Tick Oner, Master Craftsman at Mr. Tick bicycle parts on his custom post war Schwinn Reseda. Another very cool interesting bike. I bet you have never seen a Canti frame with a straight down tube. He did this one up custom just for this ride. Raised bottom bracket, custom modded headset to fit a 1 1/8 fork in a 1 inch American headtube and a straight downtube. He also made those killer handlebars and he makes CNC machined bolt on Canti bosses for pre and post war schwinn frames.

Thats me on the left on my 36 Elgin. I guess I should never pose for a photo next to a skinny guy.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Yes, Victor flew through on the bike in the first photo. He has a coat hanger with a few washers wrapped around his handlebar that serves as a bear bell. His rear tire was at least 70% worn and his front Velocoraptor was mounted backwards. Not sure if he wanted it that way but I don't think he gives a sh*t.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Yes, Victor flew through on the bike in the first photo. He has a coat hanger with a few washers wrapped around his handlebar that serves as a bear bell. His rear tire was at least 70% worn and his front Velocoraptor was mounted backwards. Not sure if he wanted it that way but I don't think he gives a sh*t.
    Oh yes, sorry, I saw pictures and I don't read....

I was expecting one of his little wheeled jobbies.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Oh yes, sorry, I saw pictures and I don't read....

I was expecting one of his little wheeled jobbies.
    Oh yeah, like the one at VeloCult, man if he had smoked us on one of those that would REALLY be something.

mtbr member
    Neat pics. The ti bike is super trick! Fast trails in those parts tooo.....what was the turn out? And did anyone ride back to Reseda too??
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    We had about 70 riders. We started off in small groups so we wouldn't piss off the hikers too much. Some folks only rode part of the route and/or had a ride waiting at PCH. Victor and alot of others rode back up sunset to the hub. That was the "Brutal" part. The last time I saw Victor was at the bottom just before he started back up. By the time I got back to the trail head it was almost 6pm and everyone had already gone to the restaurant.

mtbr member
    Dope.

mtbr member
    *as in

"That is really dope, good turn out and VV can still smoke 'em"
    not
    "You are a dope"

.....just in case my hype slang doesn't translate well on the interwebs.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    White people slang is very easy to figure out.

VRC Illuminati
    Love the shifter for the FD on that bike. Maybe not super user friendly, but way cool.

Looks like a good turn out and ride, thanks for takin' the pics and sharing!!!

All fire road though?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Yes, mostly fire road. The first part was a few miles of single track. Some people did the cab trail which is single track. So here is the unedited vid. Skip to 1:25 to see VV perform a slingshot. He was just messing around and most of us could not keep up.

mtbr member
    Sweet!
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Todd DeAngelis called me a week before and told me of the ride. I had shoulder surgery 1.5 months ago and tore both MCL's a few days before he called. I decided to go hang in Kailula on Lanikai beach house. SO SAD not to make it even if I couldn't ride. I had to be back Monday morn to pick up my son Victor so it just was bad timing. And yes he was named after the dirt Guru himself.
    Sally is her name. How the hell was she? Been way too long.
    Did anyone see Todd? Haven't heard frpm him since. He told me to do Facebook. Just not my gig.
    Who won? I know it wasn't a race but......LOL Racers race especially if someone says GO!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.geckocycles.com[/SIGPIC]

There is but one rule in life. "First one to the finish line wins!"
    VVA