Mtn Biker Machinist

Representing VRC!

This photo was posted on the Ogden Trails Network Facebook page:

Representing VRC!-fat-chance.jpg

I think the owner may be Wookie on MTBR. Either way, fun shot of a VRC getting some miles in on the Ogden Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

Loving the Spring weather, time to ride!

frog
    Last edited by 1 cog frog; 03-29-2013 at 10:20 PM.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Sweet! Where is Ogden?

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Northern Utah. Great place to live, ride, and raise a family!

Representing VRC!-img_0321.jpg
    Representing VRC!-img_0219small.jpg
    Representing VRC!-100_0580.jpg

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Dang it! What's with Utah lately, everywhere? You guys are lucky. It has to be one of the prettiest states in the US if you like the outdoors.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Dang it! What's with Utah lately, everywhere? You guys are lucky. It has to be one of the prettiest states in the US if you like the outdoors.
    I would have to agree. If you can stand the winter (not my favorite season as I don't ski) the spring, summer, and fall are awesome. Plus destinations like Moab, Fruita, and St. George are only a few hrs. away.

The trail in the 1st pic is a 15-20 mile loop that is 15 min drive from my house. The 2nd 2 pics are a trail I can be on in 10 min by bike from my house.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Dang! Sasquatch rides a Fat, who knew????

Utah, sigh, where winter still actually happens. I gotta move out of the crap heap state I live in. If I hear one more person tell me how awesome it is that our winters keep getting milder, I may have to go postal on 'em.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Sneaker man
    Funny, I always imagined Utah being flat for some reason, but then I didn't really know where it was. I see it is next to Colorado, so stands to reason it isn't.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Funny, I always imagined Utah being flat for some reason, but then I didn't really know where it was. I see it is next to Colorado, so stands to reason it isn't.
    "Man, I thought the Rocky Mountains would be a lot more, rocky, that John Denver's full of crap!"

Yes the Wasatch mountains are pretty cool, and definitely not flat. Although we don't have any 14ers like Colorado, (our highest peak is just over 10,000') the variety of terrain is pretty amazing. Slickrock sandstone in the south, and high alpine mountains in the north, with lots of desert in between. Makes for a pretty cool state.

Not much in the way of VRC like CA, or back east, but a great bike scene all over the state. Ya'll should come visit. This was the first legit VRC bike I have seen on the trail.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    This was the first legit VRC bike I have seen on the trail.
    And it's an East Coaster at that, good on ya
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Everyone knows west coastin' VRC is where it's at.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I'm an East Coast transplant. I made my way to Utah, after living in Spain for some time. Most of my VRC stuff has been sold off over the years. I spent my youth racing in New England (from CT). I used to run in to Chris and the Team Fat guys all of the time (Rockhopper East, Lynwoods, etc.) Utah is great, but I do miss the tight, twisty, and rooted trails of NE. Fats and Ted Wojicks were the thing in my neck of the woods (80s). Cheers!

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I'm an East Coast transplant. I made my way to Utah, after living in Spain for some time. Most of my VRC stuff has been sold off over the years. I spent my youth racing in New England (from CT). I used to run in to Chris and the Team Fat guys all of the time (Rockhopper East, Lynwoods, etc.) Utah is great, but I do miss the tight, twisty, and rooted trails of NE. Fats and Ted Wojicks were the thing in my neck of the woods (80s). Cheers!
    Glad to hear that - always wondered if I would miss the misery of wet roots of the trails and races here. Don't forget Jackrabbit run, Mount Snow and Hunter - you must have done those as well. Lynwood Spring Meltdown ...

I must admit, those photos make me jealous though ...
    Wanted: Might be done for a little while...
    LOL - yeah, right ...

Stokeless Asshat
    Utah rocks! One of the most diverse states in the Union for sure. The riding, climbing, skiing ect is world class. Kind folk abound too. Although the Mormon influence has wained it is still too much for my "liberal" sensibilities to deal with.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims 80's vintage 32 or 36
    Salsa or similar stem. 1" threadless. 120 with rise.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Hey Wookie. Nice bike!

Yeah, southern Utah is fantabulous. To me, nothing exemplifies the SW topography like Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Capital Reef, etc. And those are just your national parks. Sheesh.

What would Tesco do?
    I saw one guy on a Klein last season and that's been about it. Perhaps a VRC ride is in order...let me know. I don't usually get much farther north than Mueller Park but would love to see what the Ogden area has to offer.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by jack lantern View Post
    I saw one guy on a Klein last season and that's been about it. Perhaps a VRC ride is in order...let me know. I don't usually get much farther north than Mueller Park but would love to see what the Ogden area has to offer.
    I did see a Klein on the back of a car, but it had the standard high rise stem w/risers and slicks!

I only have a couple vintage bikes(and I use the term loosely), but I would love to do a VRC ride. If you have never ridden the trails in the Ogden area, you really should come up. I love Mueller park as well, but it is usually a bit crowded for my tastes. Where do you live Jack?

frog

What would Tesco do?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    I did see a Klein on the back of a car, but it had the standard high rise stem w/risers and slicks!

I only have a couple vintage bikes(and I use the term loosely), but I would love to do a VRC ride. If you have never ridden the trails in the Ogden area, you really should come up. I love Mueller park as well, but it is usually a bit crowded for my tastes. Where do you live Jack?

frog
    Down in Sandy. I have a lazy habit of riding the same handful of trails every season so to be shown something new would be great.

mtbr member
    Don't forget Park City. I really enjoyed the trails and scenery there several years ago. Even picked up a nice roller-cammed (WTB, no less) Ibis Classic from a shop right at the bottom of the mountain. Owner said it was sold at their shop originally, so the town's got some mtb history. As for the south end of the state, I really want to do the trail from the La Sal Mountains down to Moab.
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 04-05-2013 at 06:33 PM.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    This may make me sound like a chick but I love it when people on here meet! I've met tons of people from here that's local (and not very local) to me and I have adored them all. Very great bunch of guys.

Don't forget the pics!

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Sadly, I broke my hand last week and I'm out for 4-6 weeks. I'm down for a ride anytime Frog; I live right by the Ogden trails (VRC or otherwise). I ride the Snowbasin stuff a lot too. I try to make it to Park City every 3 weeks or so in the summer. PC rivals most of the Southern stuff these days I love Mueller too-especially the back side of the mountain; it's a good night ride also. Jack Lantern, I'd love to ck out Sandy too. I don't make it over their much.

Speaking of PC, I remember racing the NORBA nationals (2001?) on my 95 Yeti Fro. I got made fun of a lot-until after the race

Cheers!

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    Sadly, I broke my hand last week and I'm out for 4-6 weeks. I'm down for a ride anytime Frog; I live right by the Ogden trails (VRC or otherwise). I ride the Snowbasin stuff a lot too.
    I really need to ride with others and explore the trails up at Basin more. I rode the trail to the Ogden Canyon Overlook and Sardine Peak for the 1st time this summer, and it is my new fave. I have always loved Wheeler Creek/Art Nord, now it's just longer and better!

Unfortunately my ride time is usually early morning, since I can sneak away before my kids are up. Sorry to hear about your hand, hope it heals up quick and the rain stops. I am excited to get my Ogden Trails Jersey, what's the ETA on them?

frog