Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mountaingoatcycles.com

Repop Ritchey Z Max Classic 2.35 skin wall tires

Not really a "for sale" post but gauging the interest level. We have discussed making a Ritchey Z Max Classic tire in a 2.35" width with a natural color skin side wall. These would be the same tread pattern that Ritchey currently sells. Prices would likely be $39.99 with a wire bead or $49.99 with the Kevlar bead. This looks to be about $8 more per tire than Ritchey sells the black wall version for on there web site.

If we have these made, should it be the wire or Kevlar version? How many would you be interested in purchasing (for real)?

The minimums are kinda scary on these so I don't want to make a buying error.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    2.35 in a skinwall? Sounds perfect for heavy old farts like me riding old rigid bikes looking for a smoother ride while keeping a classic look. I pinch flat pretty often on my Ritchey running 2.1's and I would like a little extra volume so I don't have to run such high pressure to keep from flatting. I would be down for 2 pairs of wire bead at that price. Not sure if I would opt for the kevlar.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Certified Bike Junkie
    I'd love to have a vintage looking fatty available. I just bought a pair of current 2.35s, and as much as it kills me to put them on my old bikes, my back needs the extra cushion. Put me down for at least one set, kevlar preferred, but I'd take wire if there was no choice.

Thanks Jeff for putting in the effort.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Ooh, I totally called it

I'd probably end up buying a pair. Kevlar would be my preference but $100 a set is beyond what I'd usually spend on tires. Hmm...
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

horn doggie
    2.1 WCS Kevlar would be better
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude
    2.1 WCS Kevlar would be better

+1 I'm with Scooter on this one,,,,what's vintage about a 2.35" tire. Or is the 2.35 mold the only thing available? If it is, I guess I'm glad it's not my money venturing into 2.35 inventory.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    +2 on the 2.1 Kevlar, but I'd buy a set of 2.35 kevlars if that's what you end up with.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    2.35 WCS in the skinwall but red compound.

m o t o !
    Hi there, I would like to have 4 in the kevlar version. If you would ship these great tires outside the US.
    Ciao,
    Alexander

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    sounds great! but make it in soft red! please!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Repop Ritchey Z Max Classic 2.35 skin wall tires-z-max-red.jpg  

mtbr member
    2.35 skin wall black.

Wire bead is my vote, it's not a racing tire anymore (although I USED to race them way back when).

Wire or Kevlar, I'd buy some!

I'd take a 2.35 over the Timbuk II's any day.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Jeff, I like the idea of a large volume skin-walled tire. This would not be my first choice for a tire, but it's a lot better than no choice.

For me, the kevlar bead is the way to go. While the $10 per tire difference is not insignificant, the majority of your sales (I'd imagine) would require shipping. Since a foldable tire fits into a smaller box than a wire bead tire, the shipping difference would quickly offset much of the extra cost. I'd rather have a nice tire shipped cheap, than an average tire shipped expensively.

As others have said, $100 for a pair of tires is pretty high. And it's really high when one considers that the selling point is the color of the side-wall. For that kind of money, I'd rather order a pair of tires that I really wanted, and not one a pair that made my bike look nicer. At the price, I don't think they'll sell like hot cakes.

I'd probably buy one set, and if after riding them I thought that they were a really nice tire, I'd possibly buy more. But if they're only an "okay tire" I'd have trouble parting with $100 in order to get the fancy side-wall.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi,

4 pice $49.99 with the Kevlar skinwall black 2,35

bye Stefan

mtbr member
    Hi, do you have a website or a list of what ya got avalible?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As i remember the original 2,35" Z-MAX had a bigger volume than one you can buy today. If there is any difference do you want to use old or current moulds? And would the sidewall graphics look like the old ones?

Horsti

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by harzkristall
    sounds great! but make it in soft red! please!
    ditto!

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    Hi, do you have a website or a list of what ya got avalible?

They do.

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/PartsForSalePages/tires.html
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

VRC Illuminati
    2.35 was avails back then...so its not out of line to reissue them. I think airing down a larger volume tire so soften the blow on these old rigid bikes would be nice. The only issue might possibly be clearance.

I have two sets of Timbuk II's from FFB and they're awesome.

I think red would be neat too, but possibly a more difficult sell to the masses.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would take a pair at least. I'd be more excited about the 2.1's in black but would take 2.35 if that's all you had.

Witty McWitterson
    I'd get a set of skin's, steel beaded. 2.35 is certainly retro. I was running big tires like that BITD.

Selling something WCS and Red would only suit a very few riders, and being as these are already on the spendy side, imagine what a set of WCS would cost. Sure ain't $49.99.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Laffeux's point on the packablilty of kevlar is a good one.

Ritchey doesn't care about this?

I remember being so pumped when the black wall Smokes came out... funny.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member

Ritchey Megabite Zmax

I would be more interested in the old mold and graphics of the RITCHEY MEGABITE ZMAX, than the new RITCHEY CLASSIC.

Jeff, is this even an option?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm interested if they have the Ground Control tread.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Gusto
    I'm interested if they have the Ground Control tread.
    That would be a Specialized tire, not a Ritchey; different companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mountaingoatcycles.com
    The idea was to offer a little fatter tire which would both complement the smaller Timbuk II that we sell and give a tire with more cushioning for the old bikes. It isn't a 1980's tire but still relatively "vintage" and Ritchey is probably a more popular tire. A 2.35" tire is also sellable as a current tire. We do sell Timbuk IIs to folks who want something a little bit different on there current bikes. It will also fit almost all vintage bikes. I know we have one American bike that has 2.35 tires on it and there is a little bit of rub on the chain stays. If that is an issue, go with the Panaracers.

Red would be cool but I can't see it being a worthwhile project at 500 pieces.

The Kevlar beaded versions are really pushing the price envelope already and a WCS version would be noticeably more expensive. Again, don't think it would be a wise investment.

Kevlar tires are both easier and cheaper for us to ship. They will fit in a much smaller box. It seems like the Kevlar version is more desirable as well. With that in mind, we'll probably do a Kevlar beaded version.

I have inquired about the price of the 2.1 tires. On the Ritchey web site, there is a $9 price decrease to go to a 2.1 tire. If the 2.1 is that much less expensive to us, I might go 2.1.

Hopefully, we'll have answers soon. Thanks for your input.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast