mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Replacement Fork Recommendation for '92 Zaskar

I picked up a Zaskar recently and after having it tuned up, the bike shop owner mentioned the forks were shot and there were ZERO parts available to rebuild them.

This bike was not a production line bike. It was purchased as just a frame and built by a friend of mine. As a result, while I'd like to keep it as retro as possible, I'm not dead set on keeting it 100% retro and as a result am looking for a new set of forks.

I haven't actively ridden mountain bikes since this bike was new. That's over 20 years ago, so I'm rather clueless about the fork options out there.

It's got what I'm guessing are Rock Shox Mag 21 on it now.

So, I'd like to put another suspension fork on it. Can you much more knowledgeable folks make some recommendations?

Thanks

Matt

Certified Bike Junkie
    That's an early one with the u-brake and the non-replaceable hanger. Were it mine, I'd be tempted to track down one of the original rigid forks.
    Last edited by muddybuddy; 12-04-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    This bike was build from the frame up by a friend of mine so he purchased the brakes rather than buying the bike with them already on it if that matters any.

The rear hangar is also not replaceable.

mtbr member
    Have you or your LBS tried to throw some air in the fork? I've seen more thana few Mag forks described as blown or otherwise inoperable, that just need fresh oil and some air. Low pressure, with a ball needle and a floor pump will do. For cruising the jogging path, this may do fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you want to stick with a nice reliable vintage fork you could try a Marzocchi z2. They last forever. Otherwise a rigid fork is a great option and nice to have available for a quick swap over.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It is not going to be cost effective to pay a shop to work on your mag-21 but you likely can revive it yourself if it is not completely worn out, check e-bay for rebuild seals if it is not holding air. Basic DIY service instructions here;
    FAQLoad - Rockshox Mag 21 Service
    You might also just consider getting another functional mag-21 off e-bay, easy to unbolt the stanchions from the crown and swap over the working legs to your existing crown.
    Another simply option is to convert it from air to a coil spring via directions at;
    http://yoda.densan.ca/kmr/mag21.html (interesting page of vintage shock tuning ideas).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I had a '92 zaskar, still my favorite bike. some ****er stole it.....

It had an AMP F1 fork, if you can find one, it's sweet on that bike.