mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Replacement fork for Klein Pulse II

Hi all,

I need help replacing a fork on a Klein Pulse II. It has an old Judy XC that has collapsed and is completely useless. Currently has a Aheadset Dia Comp installed.

Found these on Amazon, and the price is right, but will they fit? And is it even worth the money, or is it trash?

Also I don't want to cheap out, I want to get something nice, light, and lockout would be nice. This is an around town and occasional forest trail bike, not a race bike. Also my budget is $200. What are my options? I'm not a bike encyclopedia, and I don't want to do 20 hrs of research on this site to figure it out. Work and kids preclude that.

One more thing, I have a set of shimano XTR M960 vbrakes. Any way to get those working on this old bike? Or are the mount points on the frame and fork only positioned for the cantilever style?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by jivenene; 02-22-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    My 8 seconds of research tells me that bike has a 1 1/8" steerer, so that fork will fit. There are better forks out there and by that I mean lighter, and more adjustable.

Keep an eye out for an 80-100mm Fox, X-Fusion or Rock Shox SID or Reba. Some of the lighter Marzocchis are good too. Make sure it has a 1 1/8" steerer (not a tapered steerer). If you want to stick with rim brakes then you'll have some difficulty finding something made in the last 7 or so years.

V brakes and cantilevers mount to the same studs, so you're good to go there. You will need new levers as canti levers don't play nice with v-brakes as they have different leverage ratios. If you have combined shifters/brake levers then you will need new shifters as well (or good second hand ones).

Funny how upgrades snow-ball. Next thing you know, you're left with the original frame and seatpost...

Grumps

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks, should have mentioned that I already knew it was a 1 1/8" steerer. My problem is I don't know what forks are good and which are lemons. How does the Rock Shox xc30 from amazon stack up (linked in original post)? seems to do everything I need. Lockout, 100mm, weights 2180g (is that good?), and supposed to have rebound and compression adjustments. $130 seems cheap too! Oh I just saw that amazon also has XC32TK for $192, which is the air spring fork. better deal than the XC30?

I remember now that when I was looking at forks 2 years ago, the SID was on my short list of desirable forks. My problem was that all the ones on eBay had short stems, I need a 9 1/4 at least to make it work, I think this is a XL frame.

I have also seen some carbon fiber RS and Marzochi, which looked like the race spec forks from 20 years ago. are those more trouble than they are worth? Usually race stuff needs more TLC and maintenance, and I'm too busy these days.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    The XC30 is very much a basic fork, fine for around town and light trail use. Biggest advantage is the cost and the fact that it accepts rim brakes. I wouldn't say the fork is a lemon, but there are a forks with better features. Of course, if you don't need or want those features (like adjustable compression and rebound etc) then the XC30 will be fine.

It's cheap and will serve the purpose.

Older forks are often more trouble than they are worth, unless they're rigid.

Grumps