Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

to repaint or not?

2K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  howman66 
#1 ·
#11 ·
I do a lot of restoration of vintage road bikes (latest is a '58 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix), and the standard has always been "do not repaint except as an absolute last resort - and when you reach that point, do not repaint anyway". It's sometimes odd, as I've lived thru the vintage automobile and motorcycle hobbies where repainting a restored vehicle is considered normal (although everything I've ever show has been shabby original).

The usual standards for bicycle restoration are much closer aligned to restoring vintage toys (as I've found from my sister who's a die-hard vintage Barbie collector) than antique vehicles. That said, it's very rare that I've run into a vintage frame that can't be brought back to a clean, patina-ed, original with the decals still as intact as they were when you started. It just takes time, patience, and a bunch of reasonably gentle cleansers. And a light touch on the polishing rag doesn't hurt.

Syke
Montpelier, VA

#6 ·
As long as they agree with the prevailing opinion of the VRC forum! ;)

When there is damage that needs repair repainting becomes a moot point, but otherwise Moutlon nailed it with the simple question of how you view your relationship with the bike: either it is yours to do what you want with, or it is your duty and privileged to ensure its preservation.

#12 ·
It's really a question specific to the bike itself. In the Moulton article, that bike he's talking about is in excellent condition. I agree, don't paint it. I've got a couple of examples of each side of the argument, and I'll tell you this, it's more expensive to restore/repaint a bike than it is to pay premium price for something already in excellent condition.

The 2 bikes I powdercoated / restored were rusty and cheap outdoorsman bikes. Probably only interesting and or valuable to me, and a few people here on this forum. I've overpaid for them and their restoration. More than they are worth, but, it's a healthy hobby.

I think Moulton is upset with the repaint because he assumes that the frame owner is trying to increase the value of the bike by repainting it. Those frames are his creations, he rightly doesn't want some carbonhead messing one up.

#20 ·
So, original owner buys a high end bike with custom paint. A year later he decides to send it back and have it repainted because his taste has changed and he wants a different look for the bike. Now 15 or 20 years later you have the bike - OK to respray?

Same sort of thing with vintage racecars. May have passed through a few hands and had a couple different paintjobs because of changing sponsor or whatever so what point do you restore it too? As you received it? Original paint as it was first raced? Paint it had when it was most successfully raced?

#24 ·
One less originally painted frameset. Bummer! So...while it's a personal choice, it affects everybody who's into them.

This is just gonna be one of those things where there's two camps of people, I think. I also think most people would agree that if it's beat to **** and needs work, then it's all good. Paint away.

I had considered repainting a bike early on and then decided that financially it would not have been a sound decision for me since all my bikes are riders. The reasoning was mainly because I would only use either wet paint by Joe Bell or powder by Spectrum (unless it's a Goat then I would go to Russ). I really love all my bikes and I'm not keeping them with me as inventory to buy and sell.

That's mainly why I keep hanging out with you dummies. I am so in love with vintage mountain bikes and all the precious hands that have made it happen over the last few decades. ;) Thanks to all the guys and girls that have made and raced these amazing machines. Now give me back these thousands of hours and dollars I have spent being so singularly focused. :crazy:

#25 ·
To me a repaint definitely has a time and place. I've had two frame repainted. One was a cracked Steve Potts built frame. To fix the crack the original paint had to be destroyed - I repainted it. I also had a Ritchey repainted. The paint was in horrible condition and rust was starting to set in. Not painting it would have meant that it would have continued to deteriorate until eventually it was no longer a usable - I had it repaired and painted.

I'm building-up another frame now that was repainted (before I bought it). It to was in rough shape and needed it.

However, I prefer frames that are more original. But I also understand that not all bikes can be in that state - circumstances dictate that repairs be made.

My $0.02.

#27 ·
Repaint Valk?

I could use some help here... I bought this Valk a long time ago now, and, finally got it running and ridding, and I thoroughly enjoy riding it. I have not ridden many bikes, and of the three bikes I have, a Flying V, and a AMP B2, it is my favorite, though, the AMP I really like too.

But, like most Valks, the chain stay/seat tube has been welded. I think I would like to get it painted, and, feel that it should be painted the original Dupont Metallic Blue, though, I secretly think about shipping it to Cycle Art and letting them have a go at it.

That all said, I know that if it gets painted, I will likely spend more time looking at it rather than riding it.

Well, now that I have written all this, I think I have decided to just protect the frame and ride it. Paint it one day, maybe, but to ride it for now. Though, I have an IRD stem that I will paint black, and the IRD fork legs too...and if I do that, I might as well paint the whole thing... dagnabbit...

A penny, and a couple used Power Bar wrappers, for your thoughts.

Thanks,
Howard

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.