Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Removing Braze-Ons...

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  vdubbusrider 
#1 ·
I have a SS that I'm in the process of restoring (partially) and cleaning up. Does anyone know if I can un-screw braze-on downtube shifter mounts, or do they have to be removed by another method?

Cheers.

#2 ·
I think

Upandatem said:
I have a SS that I'm in the process of restoring (partially) and cleaning up. Does anyone know if I can un-screw braze-on downtube shifter mounts, or do they have to be removed by another method?

Cheers.
I think if they could be unscewed they would be called screw-ons. What kind of frame? If bonded aluminum (Vitus et al) they might be screwed and glued-ons. If steel, they be braze-ons.
Road SS is boring. Make it a fixed gear.

#4 ·
Upandatem said:
It'll be a ss/fixed, it's a steel bianchi with braze-ons. I'm not talking right now about removing the entire braze-on including it's base but rather just the mounting post.
I assume you're talking about a road bike? If you're talking about the mounts pictured below, they're there to stay. This is my fixie town bike:

#6 ·
Upandatem said:
Thanks for they reply, unfortuantely my mounts are not quite as good looking as those, nor are they painted :(
sounds like we will need some photos to get a real grasp on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.