-bustin punks

Rebuilding a Softride/Nitto Frankenstem

I imagine someone here has done this - but how about recently? I have one of the black Nitto made models that came on a 94 Bridgestone. Flawed as they are, I'd like to rebuild it. The bushings in mine are in need of a refresh.

photo NittoAllsopStem2_zps02169533.jpg

photo NittoAllsopStem_zps63099299.jpg

Has anyone here been successful in procuring rebuild bushings lately? Do any of you (Sully?) know if the Allsop/Softride made models and the Nitto made models use the same bushings? I submitted a stock/purchase request to Softride through their website a few weeks ago, but it remains unanswered. May follow up with a phone call today.

If I strike out there, has anyone here had them made? That's the alley I may pursue next.

Thanks,

FCTi

sftrydr
    Affectionately referred to as the Death Stem....Dogbone on the pictured alum version had a .7% failure rate(weld crack or s...gasp,snap).
    Highly recommend pursuing the newer era units w the reinforced dogbone.Lots w 1' quill regularly available on the bay
    The pictured model is a very early 90's (90-91 ish) model, reb kits have been unavailable for quite awhile.

-bustin punks
    Quote Originally Posted by ssulljm View Post
    Affectionately referred to as the Death Stem....Dogbone on the pictured alum version had a .7% failure rate(weld crack or s...gasp,snap).
    Highly recommend pursuing the newer era units w the reinforced dogbone.Lots w 1' quill regularly available on the bay
    The pictured model is a very early 90's (90-91 ish) model, reb kits have been unavailable for quite awhile.
    Thanks for the heads-up Sully - teeth are good. Although this particular example seems to have lasted long enough to go through its bushings before cracking or breaking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    While a lot of people dislike these, I have to say that I absolutely love them. I have three at the house right now, two on MB1s and one on the shelf that I will throw on my Bianchi Super Grizzly once I put the rigid fork on it. If you need any measurements of the bushings from a later production one let me know and I can take them for you. I have looked at the pictures of the ones like you have though and I don't think they take the same bushings as the later versions. The later version bushing had one side flattened out that rested on a piece of the stem casting so that the bushing would not rotate and that the wear would take place on the surface of the bushing. Let me know if I can help you on it.