mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Rebuilding a Raleigh M60

hello everyone. I think this might be my first post. I've been away ffrom biking for quite some time, and want to get back into it for some fun and cardio reasons. Most of my riding will probably be the streets of my town with a trail thrown in here and there.

My bike is a Raleigh M60. It's from the mid 90's...i'm thinking 95-97. Currrent items on the bike are:

Spin Composite Wheels
    Shimano Deore LX shifters.

I just ordered some stuff from pricepoint:

Avid Speed Dial 7 V-Brakes and levers
    SRAM Brake Wires
    Panaracer Fire XC tires - plus new tubes
    DMB V8 Pedals
    Sette Sonic Saddle.

The Avid brakes, XC tires and Saddle all received good reviews on here and were fairly cheap. Should have the parts by the weekend and will hoepfully install them ffairly quickly.

My dad rode my bike a bit last year. Is there anything else I should do maint. wise...

Lastly, I've been looking but can't turn up anything that has specifics on my bike. Sizes and such incase there are other components i'd like to replace that have many aftermarket sizes. Thank you!

Marc

mtbr member

VRC Illuminati
    You think this might be your first post? Looking at your post count, I'd say it is your first post.

Getting back on a bike (regardless of the reason) is a good thing!
    Start off easy and you'll be surprised how quickly your fitness and skills come back to you.

Your bike sounds perfect for the type of riding it seems you'll be doing. The Spin's have that extra 'aero' bonus for the street riding. They'll be more that capable off road too should you decide to.

Looks like sho220 has the general maintenance and specs wrapped up for you.

Good luck and welcome!!!!!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    A big howdy and welcome for ya there Haggis!!!

Great bike it sounds like. We always like to see pictures around here. Great to have you onboard! We'd love to see you at Keyesville in '09!

PS Rumpfy has spare SPIN wheel bearings if youre ever in need.

mtbr member
    Be sure to post a pic, we are nuts about pics here
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ask and you shall receive:

haha...wrong bike :-) Never took pics of my bicycle b4. I'll snap some when i start taking it apart.

Also think i might have a bit of a problem...brougth my mtb into the garage tonight...and it looksl ike the shimano deore lx brake/shifters are one piece...how the heck am i going to mount the shifters to the brakes....might have to whip out my trusty dremel and do some hackingg!

Thanx for the links and warm welcomes.

Marc

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    A quick little update. I got alll my parts and put it all together in April...but then received a concussion and wasn't able to do anything straining for the past 2 months. I' finally just got back into lifting, and will very soon start riding the bike again.

The install went relatively smoothly. I didn't realize that my old brake levers/shifters were one unit, so I had to cut (dremel) off the brake lever so I could fit the new levers on. The placement is a bit off on the right hand shift side, but I'm able to manage just fine with it.

The quick test ride that i went on showed an AMAZING improvement in braking power w/the v-brakes!

The yellow sidewall tires also look pretty trick.

I've got a funky bike now...bright red pedals, yellow tires, and a blue/green frame...I love it!

I'll try and get some pics this week.

thanks again for all your help.

Marc

mtbr member
    Sounds like a Jamaican MTB.
    Where am I? And how the hell did I get here?

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    You need one of these:

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Haha! Not would be perfect!