mtbr member
    May 2013

Rebuilding an old friend

Back around 94 when I purchased this bike. It was my first real purchase that I saved up for and made on my own. I rode it all over my small town now nearly 20 years later it is due for some TLC.Rebuilding an old friend-frame-640x427-.jpg
    Well after I got my drivers liences The GT went into storage. A few years later my mother brought home a Fugi SandBlaster and being a collage age kid at the time I took the best parts off the gt and put on the fugi. Fast forward another 10 years and my little boy is just about ready to move from training wheels to a bike that he can take some short rides around town on. I have a Trek 3900 but I have never been to comfortable on it plus I am going to need something to put an infant seat on in a few months if I get to start riding again :-). So I know I can fix this one but where to start. Are there any pitfalls to avoid it looks like I am going to be replacing just about everything but the wheels I think and would like any input that you can give me here are a few more pictures.Rebuilding an old friend-chain-guild-640x427-.jpgRebuilding an old friend-front-gear-640x427-.jpgRebuilding an old friend-rear-gear-640x427-.jpg

And I know there is not much to work with here but every man needs a project. Even if it is just to keep the wife from skinning you for being under foot

VRC Illuminati
    Oof...ridden hard and put away wet.

Personally, I'd opt for period correct build, possibly taking the liberty to 'upgrade' to XT or something along those lines while you're at. A donor bike is the cheapest quickest way (see recent donor thread). Replacing whats worn with the exact same thing should be cheap and easy. There's a lot of it out there an no one really wants Altus.

Cheapest route is to give it all a good cleaning, reuse working parts, replace cables/housing/brake pads/tubes/tires/chain and be on your merry way.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost