mtbr member

Re-painting a frame where the decals are under the clear coat?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  69.4 KB

Hi All,

Looking for advice on the best way to restore a frame that has the decals and makers badge under the clear coat?

I was thinking of spraying a one stage with the decals masked off and then a clear over everything.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by arcdesigns; 07-11-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Team Brooklyn
    I suspect you will put a lot of effort into doing that and ultimately be disappointed with the result because the transition from old to new paint will not be as seamless as you would like.
    You might consider having the decals reproduced and once you have what you need strip it to the metal and go from there.
    No less work but I believe you will be happier with the result.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    I suspect you will put a lot of effort into doing that and ultimately be disappointed with the result because the transition from old to new paint will not be as seamless as you would like.
    You might consider having the decals reproduced and once you have what you need strip it to the metal and go from there.
    Agreed.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Humanoid Lobster
    It's hard to tell for sure from the photo, but that frame looks like all it needs is a buffing. (I know, I know ... I could be wrong.) I've had very good luck with some of the automotive liquid rubbing compounds such as "Scratch Out". In my experience you can get a paint job back to nearly new looking with a little bit of buffing.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    The good news is the name decals were designed to look as if a pin striper put them on by hand so to actually have them hand painted would be an upgrade.

Bad new is the makers badge is to complex to duplicate by hand. Where and how would someone go about getting decals reproduced?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla View Post
    It's hard to tell for sure from the photo, but that frame looks like all it needs is a buffing. (I know, I know ... I could be wrong.) I've had very good luck with some of the automotive liquid rubbing compounds such as "Scratch Out". In my experience you can get a paint job back to nearly new looking with a little bit of buffing.
    This on needs a new pant job for sure

mtbr member
    One more thing: What advantage to stripping it to metal? I would generally feel that the new paint would cut into the existing paint and primer better then to raw aluminum?

Certified Bike Junkie
    search "schwinn decals" on ebay. I'm guessing you'll be able to find something acceptable. You could even use some older style decals to give it more of a vintage vibe.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy View Post
    search "schwinn decals" on ebay. I'm guessing you'll be able to find something acceptable. You could even use some older style decals to give it more of a vintage vibe.
    Not really interested in older decals and I have searched eBay and a half dozen classic Schwinn decal sites with no luck. Although cool to us MTBR folks because this Panther is lightweight and has mountain bike geometry the impression I got from my searches is "if it wasn't made in Chicago it isn't a Schwinn."

mtbr member
    Here is the pinstripe style lettering
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Re-painting a frame where the decals are under the clear coat?-schwinn-decal.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here is the Makers Badge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Re-painting a frame where the decals are under the clear coat?-schwinn-makers-badge.jpg  

the new Gilbert Grape
    Pretty cool that they put the frame angles on the bike.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    For Salsa stems where the graphic isn't under the clear coat, I've had pretty good luck masking off. Maybe you can mask off and accent the transition with some pin striping around the tube.

Anyone want to buy a used car?

Re-painting a frame where the decals are under the clear coat?-salsastem1a.jpg

Re-painting a frame where the decals are under the clear coat?-salsastem2a.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    For Salsa stems where the graphic isn't under the clear coat, I've had pretty good luck masking off. Maybe you can mask off and accent the transition with some pin striping around the tube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SalsaStem1a.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	467.8 KB 
ID:	815540

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SalsaStem2a.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	815541
    Sweet!

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by arcdesigns View Post
    The good news is the name decals were designed to look as if a pin striper put them on by hand so to actually have them hand painted would be an upgrade.

Bad new is the makers badge is to complex to duplicate by hand. Where and how would someone go about getting decals reproduced?
    There are a few places that to exceptional decal reproductions. You take a number of measurements and a bunch of photos and they create them. I'll try to find the name and contact info of the place I've used.

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by arcdesigns View Post
    One more thing: What advantage to stripping it to metal? I would generally feel that the new paint would cut into the existing paint and primer better then to raw aluminum?
    You never really know the integrity of the original paint application. It would be a terrible disappointment to go through the trouble and work to see your new paint job bubbling up over a previously poorly prepped section.

But...
    Only you have to be satisfied with the result and feel its a good ROI.