Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

Raleigh "The Edge"

anyone know much about these? I've got a chance to pick up a real clean one for $150.00. All original except tires, seat and handlebars. Looks just like the one at First Flight( borrowed the picture). 24" rear and 26" front tire setup.....buy or pass? thanx guys
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

picture of the one for sale

forgot to add this...
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

Harmonius Wrench

Trialsy- woodsy bike

If you want to give the trialsy- woodsy thing a try, then get it. The price seems right for entry, and it's a mildly interesting model, designed and influenced by John Oleson (sp?) a former magazine writer for Mountain Bike or one o those rags. I wouldn't consider it unless I was going to actually ride it. It might be a fun bike to plunk around on rock piles, logs, and steeps.

And ya gotta like pink!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Get It! I love mine...and it WAY more than mildly interesting...It's a classic!!!

-richard

www.vintage-fat.blogspot.com (scroll down to the bottom)

VRC Hound
    I'm with Richard. It is an outstanding bike and $150 is a good price for a clean one.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Aye - another vote for a classic bike. John Olsen aka Uncle Knobby?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    John Olsen aka Uncle Knobby?
    Umm.....wait a minute......I get confused. I think that's him. Capn' Dondo was the other one. Don Cuerdon? Pink Ibis dude, right?

Anyway, buy the Raleigh!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

you made me do it!

The ayes have it. I bought it! heres what we got, the paint is actually shiny, the camera didn't pick it up. It's got some minor chips but hey, it's a mountain bike. Turns out the ex-owners husband was a Klein factory rider back in the ninetys. real interesting couple...thanx guys.

VRC Hound
    The frame is slightly different on mine - the cross-piece on the seat-stays is straight, not curved.

That is a great pickup. Congrats.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

what year?

Quote Originally Posted by richieb
    Get It! I love mine...and it WAY more than mildly interesting...It's a classic!!!

-richard

www.vintage-fat.blogspot.com (scroll down to the bottom)
    I noticed yours has the brake on the seatstays, mine is a roller brake under the chainstays. also your cross brace on seatstays is straight, mine is curved. Any idea as to what year yours is? or mine? also mine doesn't have a canti-roller on the stem,cable just goes thru the top of the stem and straight down. I'm guessing mine is older, serial # "M7EM00039"
    Last edited by stan4bikes; 07-09-2006 at 09:21 AM.

VRC Hound
    Mine has a rollercam under the chainstays and the straight cross brace. Serial number is M7IM11082

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    The first Edge was released in 1987...chainstay rollercam brake, etc...

It the didn't appear in the 88 catalogue, then in 89 it appeared in all the buyers guides againwith the brake spec being the big difference. The later production (which i suspect was a 2nd 87 production that never sold that well in the first place) had a Dia Compe u brake mounted on the seatstay...the seatstay mounted brakes feel REALLY squishy due to the complete cable housing from lever to seatstay, the flexy 990 brake and the thin-ish seatstays.

I have since switched to Deore U-brake and front canti in order to make the bike ridable.

Oh, and I put on a bash ring...it IS a trials bike after all....

rb

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Umm.....wait a minute......I get confused. I think that's him. Capn' Dondo was the other one. Don Cuerdon? Pink Ibis dude, right?

Anyway, buy the Raleigh!
    I think Uncle Knobby has been different people over the years. It could have also been Don Cuerdon at one point - and yes Capt. Dondo is the pink Ibis dude. Rumor is that he is going to be at First Flight Bikes Crossroad's Bike Festival with that big ole pink Ibis. Uncle Knobby could have also been John Kukoda at one time - where is bulC anyway? Those were spirited times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    When I bought my edge (bike for the wife) back in early 88, the bike shop had two bikes left, one with the suntour roller cams under the chainstays, and the other had canti's on the rear seat stays. This was a shock to me as I had been looking at the bikes and had never seen one with rear cantilevers. I left the shop and then called them back saying that I wanted the one with the canti set-up, but unfortunately some other lucky buyer managed to pick it up first. I have never seen another with rear canti's since, but I am glad I still have my(oh I mean my wifes!) edge which still hangs in like new condition in my garage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If there is anyone out there with a raleigh edge with a seat stay mounted rear brake and it's in good shape let me know, I'd be interested in purchasing it, I have one and would very much like a spare. Murbe@sbcglobal.net.

Built4Speed
    Good find Stan.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Looks like this thread has been idle for a while so here is my Edge. It's still under renovation .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-img00002-20100220-1428smr.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-img00001-20100220-1428smr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

raleigh "the edge"

Very nice, What still needs to be done? how are the bearings? (bottom bracket,headset&wheel bearings) What's the condition of it overall, any concerns? If you where interested in selling it what kind of price where you thinking?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scott murray
    Very nice, What still needs to be done? how are the bearings? (bottom bracket,headset&wheel bearings) What's the condition of it overall, any concerns? If you where interested in selling it what kind of price where you thinking?
    Well, I had to replace the bottom bracket. The other bearings feel good. The rear wheel is not true. It has been enjoyed quite a bit. I have another one to throw on soon. The front wheel is very true but the cantilever front brakes were out of adjustment and wore the sidewall of the original IRC Trials Winner tire a tad (does anyone know where I could pick up some of these tires). Also, the front brake cable roller pulley is missing. So I temporarily put on the front Maguras and front wheel/tire from my C'dale which is what is in the picture. I may invest in a new set of Maguras for this little devil. The rear derailleur needs new pulleys. The chain needs replacing. When I got it, the freewheel had been replaced (now a 13-32 instead of original 13-26 according to Raleigh spec sheet) as were the shifters with Shimano Deore XT indexed units (I believe Raleigh did not put indexed shifters on until the Ď90ís according to http://www.mombat.org/Raleigh.htm: ďThere is no bike with the new Deore XT index group which is extremely popular in 1987.Ē ). I have the front derailleur and shifter as well as the 175mm cranks and chain rings (26/36/46). I put on 167.5 modified Specialized cranks with a 24 tooth chain ring. It has the original chainstay mounted Roller Cam brake and I am searching for different cams for it (if anyone knows where I can get just the cams give me a holler).

For the type of technical trails you find in East coast woods biking, these are nice bikes; almost spot on, which is why I got it. Iím not a Trails rider but a technical trail rider (ala John Olsenís article "Technical Trail Riding" in Mountain and City Biking, November 1991). Iím too old to try and play bunny-hopper. I subscribe to the roll over method.

The Edges ride/handling/geometry is close to what my Beast is except for the 24" rear wheel and 9 years older. The shortcoming of the Edge (as with the "Beast of the East" also) is the relatively long chainstays as compared to say an Ibis Mtn. Trials which I would just love to have. Do you think anyone would care if I used my torch to shorten them up a little? After all, it a Taiwanese made mass produced frame. (I have done this to other Taiwanese made frames and loved it except for the high stand over height. ) Why didnít John Olsen go for shorter chainstays to start with? Iím also toying with a 24Ē front wheel?!?! Where is John Olsen anyway? I really miss his articles .

I have no plans to sell and if I did I wouldn't know what to ask.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

raleigh "the edge"

There is a suntour roller cam brake on ebay right now, the top of the line one with two different cam plates included you might want to check it out,, I looks to be in real good shape to rich for my blood but sure would like it. I have two edge's and love them both, bless you for designing them john olson, i'm going to try and get pictures of them and post them on this site so as to share them with fellow raleigh edge lover's, I don't blame you for not wanting to sell it, looks like it's real fun.

master blaster
    that gusset alone makes it worth having. totally awesome bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scott murray
    i'm going to try and get pictures of them and post them on this site so as to share them with fellow raleigh edge lover's
    Can't wait to see them!!
    Even if they are all the same color!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    that gusset alone makes it worth having. totally awesome bikes.
    Stylewise, yes it is. It certainly sets these bikes apart.

I wonder how functional they really are?

Years ago John Olsen wrote an article in which he stated an opinion about gussets. But quite frankly, I can't remember what it was nor did I keep a copy of such. I think the article was about designing/building frames and it was in Mountain Biking.

I wonder if he engineered it in or if it was added by Raleigh (Huffy) marketing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abaris
    Well, I had to replace the bottom bracket. The other bearings feel good. The rear wheel is not true. It has been enjoyed quite a bit. I have another one to throw on soon. The front wheel is very true but the cantilever front brakes were out of adjustment and wore the sidewall of the original IRC Trials Winner tire a tad (does anyone know where I could pick up some of these tires). Also, the front brake cable roller pulley is missing. So I temporarily put on the front Maguras and front wheel/tire from my C'dale which is what is in the picture. I may invest in a new set of Maguras for this little devil. The rear derailleur needs new pulleys. The chain needs replacing. When I got it, the freewheel had been replaced (now a 13-32 instead of original 13-26 according to Raleigh spec sheet) as were the shifters with Shimano Deore XT indexed units (I believe Raleigh did not put indexed shifters on until the Ď90ís according to http://www.mombat.org/Raleigh.htm: ďThere is no bike with the new Deore XT index group which is extremely popular in 1987.Ē ). I have the front derailleur and shifter as well as the 175mm cranks and chain rings (26/36/46). I put on 167.5 modified Specialized cranks with a 24 tooth chain ring. It has the original chainstay mounted Roller Cam brake and I am searching for different cams for it (if anyone knows where I can get just the cams give me a holler).

For the type of technical trails you find in East coast woods biking, these are nice bikes; almost spot on, which is why I got it. Iím not a Trails rider but a technical trail rider (ala John Olsenís article "Technical Trail Riding" in Mountain and City Biking, November 1991). Iím too old to try and play bunny-hopper. I subscribe to the roll over method.

The Edges ride/handling/geometry is close to what my Beast is except for the 24" rear wheel and 9 years older. The shortcoming of the Edge (as with the "Beast of the East" also) is the relatively long chainstays as compared to say an Ibis Mtn. Trials which I would just love to have. Do you think anyone would care if I used my torch to shorten them up a little? After all, it a Taiwanese made mass produced frame. (I have done this to other Taiwanese made frames and loved it except for the high stand over height. ) Why didnít John Olsen go for shorter chainstays to start with? Iím also toying with a 24Ē front wheel?!?! Where is John Olsen anyway? I really miss his articles .

I have no plans to sell and if I did I wouldn't know what to ask.
    Just a point of clarification regarding the shifters on the Edge. I purchased my Edge new back in 88 and its still fairly close to original condition. I can tell you that it did come from the factory with Deore front and rear derailleurs and Deore indexed 6 speed thumbies. It also has Suntour hubs mixed with the shimano 6spd cluster....weird combo. Still a fun little bike to ride on tight technical trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    Just a point of clarification regarding the shifters on the Edge. I purchased my Edge new back in 88 and its still fairly close to original condition. I can tell you that it did come from the factory with Deore front and rear derailleurs and Deore indexed 6 speed thumbies. It also has Suntour hubs mixed with the shimano 6spd cluster....weird combo. Still a fun little bike to ride on tight technical trails.
    Hi Jeff,

If you haven't posted any pics of your wifes Edge you should. It would be nice to see if all of them are the same color.... but seriously having a photos posted of an original Edge would help restorers.

Indeed, product managers or whatever they called themselves back then, started mixing Shimano with Suntour components as well as Rear Suntour brakes with Dia-compe front units.

I believe, after looking at the spec sheet at http://www.mombat.org/Raleigh_Specs.htm, Edges supposedly did not come with Deore XT. Certainly, they came with Deore SIS units.

After rereading my earlier post it is obvious that I mixed wording "Deore XT" and "indexed shifting". It is a fine point between Deore and Deore XT but I believe the main difference is the shifter frame material, i.e., press metal vs alloy.

Does yours have Deore XT or "just" Deore?

I humbly apologize if I mislead anyone.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast