Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

Raleigh "The Edge"

anyone know much about these? I've got a chance to pick up a real clean one for $150.00. All original except tires, seat and handlebars. Looks just like the one at First Flight( borrowed the picture). 24" rear and 26" front tire setup.....buy or pass? thanx guys
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

picture of the one for sale

forgot to add this...
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

Harmonius Wrench

Trialsy- woodsy bike

If you want to give the trialsy- woodsy thing a try, then get it. The price seems right for entry, and it's a mildly interesting model, designed and influenced by John Oleson (sp?) a former magazine writer for Mountain Bike or one o those rags. I wouldn't consider it unless I was going to actually ride it. It might be a fun bike to plunk around on rock piles, logs, and steeps.

And ya gotta like pink!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Get It! I love mine...and it WAY more than mildly interesting...It's a classic!!!

-richard

www.vintage-fat.blogspot.com (scroll down to the bottom)

VRC Hound
    I'm with Richard. It is an outstanding bike and $150 is a good price for a clean one.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Aye - another vote for a classic bike. John Olsen aka Uncle Knobby?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    John Olsen aka Uncle Knobby?
    Umm.....wait a minute......I get confused. I think that's him. Capn' Dondo was the other one. Don Cuerdon? Pink Ibis dude, right?

Anyway, buy the Raleigh!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

you made me do it!

The ayes have it. I bought it! heres what we got, the paint is actually shiny, the camera didn't pick it up. It's got some minor chips but hey, it's a mountain bike. Turns out the ex-owners husband was a Klein factory rider back in the ninetys. real interesting couple...thanx guys.

VRC Hound
    The frame is slightly different on mine - the cross-piece on the seat-stays is straight, not curved.

That is a great pickup. Congrats.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

what year?

Quote Originally Posted by richieb
    Get It! I love mine...and it WAY more than mildly interesting...It's a classic!!!

-richard

www.vintage-fat.blogspot.com (scroll down to the bottom)
    I noticed yours has the brake on the seatstays, mine is a roller brake under the chainstays. also your cross brace on seatstays is straight, mine is curved. Any idea as to what year yours is? or mine? also mine doesn't have a canti-roller on the stem,cable just goes thru the top of the stem and straight down. I'm guessing mine is older, serial # "M7EM00039"
    Last edited by stan4bikes; 07-09-2006 at 08:21 AM.

VRC Hound
    Mine has a rollercam under the chainstays and the straight cross brace. Serial number is M7IM11082

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    The first Edge was released in 1987...chainstay rollercam brake, etc...

It the didn't appear in the 88 catalogue, then in 89 it appeared in all the buyers guides againwith the brake spec being the big difference. The later production (which i suspect was a 2nd 87 production that never sold that well in the first place) had a Dia Compe u brake mounted on the seatstay...the seatstay mounted brakes feel REALLY squishy due to the complete cable housing from lever to seatstay, the flexy 990 brake and the thin-ish seatstays.

I have since switched to Deore U-brake and front canti in order to make the bike ridable.

Oh, and I put on a bash ring...it IS a trials bike after all....

rb

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Umm.....wait a minute......I get confused. I think that's him. Capn' Dondo was the other one. Don Cuerdon? Pink Ibis dude, right?

Anyway, buy the Raleigh!
    I think Uncle Knobby has been different people over the years. It could have also been Don Cuerdon at one point - and yes Capt. Dondo is the pink Ibis dude. Rumor is that he is going to be at First Flight Bikes Crossroad's Bike Festival with that big ole pink Ibis. Uncle Knobby could have also been John Kukoda at one time - where is bulC anyway? Those were spirited times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    When I bought my edge (bike for the wife) back in early 88, the bike shop had two bikes left, one with the suntour roller cams under the chainstays, and the other had canti's on the rear seat stays. This was a shock to me as I had been looking at the bikes and had never seen one with rear cantilevers. I left the shop and then called them back saying that I wanted the one with the canti set-up, but unfortunately some other lucky buyer managed to pick it up first. I have never seen another with rear canti's since, but I am glad I still have my(oh I mean my wifes!) edge which still hangs in like new condition in my garage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If there is anyone out there with a raleigh edge with a seat stay mounted rear brake and it's in good shape let me know, I'd be interested in purchasing it, I have one and would very much like a spare. Murbe@sbcglobal.net.

Built4Speed
    Good find Stan.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Looks like this thread has been idle for a while so here is my Edge. It's still under renovation .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-img00002-20100220-1428smr.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-img00001-20100220-1428smr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

raleigh "the edge"

Very nice, What still needs to be done? how are the bearings? (bottom bracket,headset&wheel bearings) What's the condition of it overall, any concerns? If you where interested in selling it what kind of price where you thinking?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scott murray
    Very nice, What still needs to be done? how are the bearings? (bottom bracket,headset&wheel bearings) What's the condition of it overall, any concerns? If you where interested in selling it what kind of price where you thinking?
    Well, I had to replace the bottom bracket. The other bearings feel good. The rear wheel is not true. It has been enjoyed quite a bit. I have another one to throw on soon. The front wheel is very true but the cantilever front brakes were out of adjustment and wore the sidewall of the original IRC Trials Winner tire a tad (does anyone know where I could pick up some of these tires). Also, the front brake cable roller pulley is missing. So I temporarily put on the front Maguras and front wheel/tire from my C'dale which is what is in the picture. I may invest in a new set of Maguras for this little devil. The rear derailleur needs new pulleys. The chain needs replacing. When I got it, the freewheel had been replaced (now a 13-32 instead of original 13-26 according to Raleigh spec sheet) as were the shifters with Shimano Deore XT indexed units (I believe Raleigh did not put indexed shifters on until the Ď90ís according to http://www.mombat.org/Raleigh.htm: ďThere is no bike with the new Deore XT index group which is extremely popular in 1987.Ē ). I have the front derailleur and shifter as well as the 175mm cranks and chain rings (26/36/46). I put on 167.5 modified Specialized cranks with a 24 tooth chain ring. It has the original chainstay mounted Roller Cam brake and I am searching for different cams for it (if anyone knows where I can get just the cams give me a holler).

For the type of technical trails you find in East coast woods biking, these are nice bikes; almost spot on, which is why I got it. Iím not a Trails rider but a technical trail rider (ala John Olsenís article "Technical Trail Riding" in Mountain and City Biking, November 1991). Iím too old to try and play bunny-hopper. I subscribe to the roll over method.

The Edges ride/handling/geometry is close to what my Beast is except for the 24" rear wheel and 9 years older. The shortcoming of the Edge (as with the "Beast of the East" also) is the relatively long chainstays as compared to say an Ibis Mtn. Trials which I would just love to have. Do you think anyone would care if I used my torch to shorten them up a little? After all, it a Taiwanese made mass produced frame. (I have done this to other Taiwanese made frames and loved it except for the high stand over height. ) Why didnít John Olsen go for shorter chainstays to start with? Iím also toying with a 24Ē front wheel?!?! Where is John Olsen anyway? I really miss his articles .

I have no plans to sell and if I did I wouldn't know what to ask.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

raleigh "the edge"

There is a suntour roller cam brake on ebay right now, the top of the line one with two different cam plates included you might want to check it out,, I looks to be in real good shape to rich for my blood but sure would like it. I have two edge's and love them both, bless you for designing them john olson, i'm going to try and get pictures of them and post them on this site so as to share them with fellow raleigh edge lover's, I don't blame you for not wanting to sell it, looks like it's real fun.

master blaster
    that gusset alone makes it worth having. totally awesome bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    i'm going to try and get pictures of them and post them on this site so as to share them with fellow raleigh edge lover's
    Can't wait to see them!!
    Even if they are all the same color!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    that gusset alone makes it worth having. totally awesome bikes.
    Stylewise, yes it is. It certainly sets these bikes apart.

I wonder how functional they really are?

Years ago John Olsen wrote an article in which he stated an opinion about gussets. But quite frankly, I can't remember what it was nor did I keep a copy of such. I think the article was about designing/building frames and it was in Mountain Biking.

I wonder if he engineered it in or if it was added by Raleigh (Huffy) marketing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abaris
    Well, I had to replace the bottom bracket. The other bearings feel good. The rear wheel is not true. It has been enjoyed quite a bit. I have another one to throw on soon. The front wheel is very true but the cantilever front brakes were out of adjustment and wore the sidewall of the original IRC Trials Winner tire a tad (does anyone know where I could pick up some of these tires). Also, the front brake cable roller pulley is missing. So I temporarily put on the front Maguras and front wheel/tire from my C'dale which is what is in the picture. I may invest in a new set of Maguras for this little devil. The rear derailleur needs new pulleys. The chain needs replacing. When I got it, the freewheel had been replaced (now a 13-32 instead of original 13-26 according to Raleigh spec sheet) as were the shifters with Shimano Deore XT indexed units (I believe Raleigh did not put indexed shifters on until the Ď90ís according to http://www.mombat.org/Raleigh.htm: ďThere is no bike with the new Deore XT index group which is extremely popular in 1987.Ē ). I have the front derailleur and shifter as well as the 175mm cranks and chain rings (26/36/46). I put on 167.5 modified Specialized cranks with a 24 tooth chain ring. It has the original chainstay mounted Roller Cam brake and I am searching for different cams for it (if anyone knows where I can get just the cams give me a holler).

For the type of technical trails you find in East coast woods biking, these are nice bikes; almost spot on, which is why I got it. Iím not a Trails rider but a technical trail rider (ala John Olsenís article "Technical Trail Riding" in Mountain and City Biking, November 1991). Iím too old to try and play bunny-hopper. I subscribe to the roll over method.

The Edges ride/handling/geometry is close to what my Beast is except for the 24" rear wheel and 9 years older. The shortcoming of the Edge (as with the "Beast of the East" also) is the relatively long chainstays as compared to say an Ibis Mtn. Trials which I would just love to have. Do you think anyone would care if I used my torch to shorten them up a little? After all, it a Taiwanese made mass produced frame. (I have done this to other Taiwanese made frames and loved it except for the high stand over height. ) Why didnít John Olsen go for shorter chainstays to start with? Iím also toying with a 24Ē front wheel?!?! Where is John Olsen anyway? I really miss his articles .

I have no plans to sell and if I did I wouldn't know what to ask.
    Just a point of clarification regarding the shifters on the Edge. I purchased my Edge new back in 88 and its still fairly close to original condition. I can tell you that it did come from the factory with Deore front and rear derailleurs and Deore indexed 6 speed thumbies. It also has Suntour hubs mixed with the shimano 6spd cluster....weird combo. Still a fun little bike to ride on tight technical trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    Just a point of clarification regarding the shifters on the Edge. I purchased my Edge new back in 88 and its still fairly close to original condition. I can tell you that it did come from the factory with Deore front and rear derailleurs and Deore indexed 6 speed thumbies. It also has Suntour hubs mixed with the shimano 6spd cluster....weird combo. Still a fun little bike to ride on tight technical trails.
    Hi Jeff,

If you haven't posted any pics of your wifes Edge you should. It would be nice to see if all of them are the same color.... but seriously having a photos posted of an original Edge would help restorers.

Indeed, product managers or whatever they called themselves back then, started mixing Shimano with Suntour components as well as Rear Suntour brakes with Dia-compe front units.

I believe, after looking at the spec sheet at http://www.mombat.org/Raleigh_Specs.htm, Edges supposedly did not come with Deore XT. Certainly, they came with Deore SIS units.

After rereading my earlier post it is obvious that I mixed wording "Deore XT" and "indexed shifting". It is a fine point between Deore and Deore XT but I believe the main difference is the shifter frame material, i.e., press metal vs alloy.

Does yours have Deore XT or "just" Deore?

I humbly apologize if I mislead anyone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

raleigh"the edge"

Pictures of my two babies,the one without the tailight I bought brand new in I think in "88" it came with a di compe 981 front cantilever brake and a suntour roller cam rear, it came with deore thumbshifters and deore derailleurs (long cage rear) SIS system,It has a kona dh bar,shimano deore lx front cantilever brake and a deore xt u brake in back with a gorilla brake beefer brake brace,shimano deore xt short cage derailleur,shimano deore xt pedals,lock on grips,wtb moto raptor 26x2.24 front tire and piranha pro 24x2.10 rear tire,wtb seat and a threshold bashring. The one with the tailight has the same tire setup,shimano deore xt pedals,a shimano deore lx front cantilever brake and the suntour roller cam rear brake that originally came on the other bike ( the one with the tailight came with a dia compe 982 front cantilever and a dia compe 990 rear u brake and a wtb seat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-hpim1134.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-hpim1135.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-hpim1136.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-hpim1137.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Beautiful!!! How do you decide which one to ride?
    Did the flat bars and those grips come on the one with the light and rear roller brake?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

raleigh "the edge"

Yes, Both bikes came with that bar and grips, the grips and bar. by the way are really comfortable,That's the thing about the edge,strip it down to just the granny chainring in the front,take off the front derailleur and the thumbshifter, switch out the front brake with something better and put a shimano u brake or if your lucky and your's came with a roller cam rear brake use that on the back( the advantage with the u brake is you can use a brake brace with it,put a bashring on it or just use the tabs the middle and large chainrings mounted to to get a grip on logs your climbing over and your set.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hi Jeff,

If you haven't posted any pics of your wifes Edge you should. It would be nice to see if all of them are the same color.... but seriously having a photos posted of an original Edge would help restorers.

Indeed, product managers or whatever they called themselves back then, started mixing Shimano with Suntour components as well as Rear Suntour brakes with Dia-compe front units.

I believe, after looking at the spec sheet at http://www.mombat.org/Raleigh_Specs.htm, Edges supposedly did not come with Deore XT. Certainly, they came with Deore SIS units.

After rereading my earlier post it is obvious that I mixed wording "Deore XT" and "indexed shifting". It is a fine point between Deore and Deore XT but I believe the main difference is the shifter frame material, i.e., press metal vs alloy.

Does yours have Deore XT or "just" Deore?

I humbly apologize if I mislead anyone.
    How many shades of salmon pink can there be? I do need to get some pictures of the bike. Its currently sitting in a bike carrier mounted to the top of my pop-up camper in my garage. My (wifes) Edge has Deore shifters and derailleurs not Deore XT. The Deore shifter clamps are pretty chintzy compared to the allow XT thumbie mounts. No harm at all on the comments either way, I just wanted to make sure to throwin with what I knew. I actually walked out to the garage to check because I wasn't absolutley sure on which derailluers it had.

I actually had the Edge out this past fall for a ride.After riding a 29er for a while jumping on a 24" rear wheeled bike was a drastic change of pace (literally). Fun for the right techincal tight single track ride though, thats for sure.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    How many shades of salmon pink can there be? ...
    Jeff
    The so-called Raleigh Spec sheet indicates that the paint is Pastel Hot Red. But it does look PINK!!!
    Post some pics... just to make sure about the color....
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Need Advice on Tires

I have a Raleigh Edge and want to replace the Specialized Fat Boy Tires I have had on it for years. Apparently, this tire is no longer available in th 24-inch size. Any advice from Edge owner on a good, reasonably priced set of tires that can be had in both the 24 and 26 inch size. I prefer a high pressure road tire since I don't do much off trail riding.

Skip

illuminaughty
    Look into Maxxis Holy Rollers.....Not traditional but a nice tread design, good
    traction and fairly low rolling resitance.

mtbr member
    Hi guys! This is John Olsen. I just discovered this thread (amazed to find it, actually). I was Uncle Knobby from 1994 until about 2002. I worked with Chris Murphy of Raleigh to inspire the edge and suggest geometry. Chris and the other folks at Raleigh were responsible for the gusset and the component choices. The geometry was based on the chainstay tubing and the limitations of the bending at that time. The 24" rear wheel was chosen because it was easier to make the chainstays shorter than with a 26" (duh), DESPITE the limited tire choices. Same with the first Cannondale MTB, which I consulted on too. Later, I helped a friend convert his Edge to a 26" rear. Anyway, I'd be glad to answer any questions, if I can remember the answers, that is!

mtbr member
    Welcome aboard John. I came really close to buying one of those last week. Great price I just don't have the room.

This thread might also spark your interest.
    Bike quiz: who made this one?

and this one
    John Olsen article scans...

here's one
    I must live in Edge-Ville.....

and this one's really cool
    Raven...John Olsen..Vintage...UPDATED with new pics and info

I think Stan likes your stuff.

edit: and great name, couldn't fit you better.

mtbr member
    Welcome to VRC John,
    Always enjoyed your writing back in ther day...
    T
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

Trying to grow a mustache
    Heck yeah! I had your guide book back in the day, yet never managed the rad log rolls...
    Saw a lady riding an Edge around town the other day, good thing I was seated at a restaurant at the time...
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

illuminaughty
    Hey John, glad you finally found us. I'm the one that e-mailed you about the Raven I've also got 2 Edges, a 24/26 C'Dale and an R&E Montana...yea, I kinda like your stuf f ..Tell us some stories please

Stokeless Asshat
    Welcome John. I loved your writing back in the day. The piece on your first ride on clipless is a classic.

Jeff
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Gunfighter Eyes - Classic.

Welcome to the group, John! You've got a couple fans in here.

VRC Hound
    And if you could post all of your wonderful articles from Mountain Biking, that would be sweet too! Awesome to have you here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeBike13
    Hi guys! This is John Olsen. ... Anyway, I'd be glad to answer any questions, if I can remember the answers, that is!
    Welcome. I am honored to be "in the e- presence" of such a grand penmen as you. You are one of the few blessed ones who have engineering talent and the ability to put into words that the rest of us have enjoyed in the past. Just having your name on the Chainstays of the Edge is such a remarkable tribute to your talents.

In reference to your past articles in certain mountian biking magazines, I have been reluctant to post scanned copies of some of your old articles without your permission. Hopefully you have a complete set and willing to share. One of my favorites is "Technical Trail Riding." which I believe describes those who ride Edges.

So here is are some questions for you:

What is the tube (chainstays, top tube, seat tube and seat stays...and the rest of the tubes if you know) thickness and "butting" thickness and lengths if double-butted or triple-butted tubes were used. This frame seems lighter than the other products of Taiwan. Is the fact that a lug is used to join the top tube and seat tube mean thinner tubing is used
    Is it possible that the chain stays between the BB and the chain-stay cross support are of constant thickness?

Bob
    Last edited by abaris; 01-30-2011 at 06:47 AM.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a bike that John designed, built by Bushnell (?), pimped by Shoji of Side Trak, painted by Klien. The seatless "Strage Bike" was ridden by my wife all around the Puget Sound area in the early 90s and remains built up and hanging in the garage.

We did a couple of rides with John on Martha's Nipple and Cap Sante up north. He is fun to ride with and wished to have done more. If John would publicly give an update to what he has been up to, would be interesting to his fans, but privacy is understood.

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven Trials
    I have a bike that John designed, built by Bushnell (?), pimped by Shoji of Side Trak, painted by Klien. The seatless "Strage Bike" was ridden by my wife all around the Puget Sound area in the early 90s and remains built up and hanging in the garage.

We did a couple of rides with John on Martha's Nipple and Cap Sante up north. He is fun to ride with and wished to have done more. If John would publicly give an update to what he has been up to, would be interesting to his fans, but privacy is understood.
    Pics or it doesn't exist.

Want:

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I will post picts of bike tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I have a bike that John designed, built by Bushnell (?), .
    Dennis Bushnell is a pretty well known PacNW frame builder.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I will post picts of bike tomorrow.
    It is now tomorrow.
    Make believers out of the non-believers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

mtbr member
    Look what's on ebay!!!
    Not sure it is worthwile to buy online from afar and pay shipping costs. With a little bit of patience you should be able to find one on your local CL.

At least they show up around here fairly often. A unique frame that was produced in mass.

illuminaughty

well..if thats "beautiful and well kept" my two are NOS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Not sure it is worthwile to buy online from afar and pay shipping costs. With a little bit of patience you should be able to find one on your local CL.

At least they show up around here fairly often. A unique frame that was produced in mass.
    That's the same one I nearly went for last week. All of 15 minutes away from me. More tempting at the lower price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV
    well..if thats "beautiful and well kept" my two are NOS
    Maybe they mean "beautifully well used and kept".

If it wasn't for the shipping, $50 wouldn't be bad...but at lot of work to restore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Picts of John Olsen designed bike

I hope this works, I am a mantard with uploading crap.

Invalid Post specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Damn computers
    Last edited by Sven Trials; 01-30-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: pict wont up load

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I hope this works, I am a mantard with uploading crap.

Invalid Post specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Damn computers
    Hit "Post Reply" button.

When page with editable input window appears, SCROLL down and there is a box that indicates "Attach Files"
    In that box click "Upload images"
    Be aware of file size(s), they won't upload if too big.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here are scanned pages from a John Olsen article called "Technical Trail Riding" in Mountain and City Biking, November 1991 pages 105-110.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-ttr_jolsen_1asm.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-ttr_jolsen_2asm.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-ttr_jolsen_3asm.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-ttr_jolsen_4asm.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-ttr_jolsen_5asm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hope this works

Lets try again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-jan-30-2011.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-jan-30-2011-011.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-jan-30-2011-009.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    And here is a previous article by John Olsen called "The Lament of the Technical Trail Rider" in Mountain and City Biking, February 1990, page 13.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    opps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-lament_ttr_jolsen_1a.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-lament_ttr_jolsen_2a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Lets try again
    Very nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

last try for picts

Hope this is it..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-jan-30-2011.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-jan-30-2011-007.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-jan-30-2011-008.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-jan-30-2011-009.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-jan-30-2011-011.jpg  

Stokeless Asshat
    Nice. That looks like a fun bike. Thanks for posting the pics. Are the chain stays attached at the down tube?

Want:

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The chain stays are welded at the down tube and at the seat tube. Makes for a stiff rear.

Got to like a stiff rear...

Stokeless Asshat
    ^This^

Want:

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hope this is it..
    Very cool.
    And this was your wife's bike? I'm impressed. My wife would probably prefer a bike without handlebars to one without a seat...

Are (were) her trials skills equal to the bike?
    Beware the forty-year-old man on a twenty-year-old bike...He likely knows how to ride it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yes indeed. The last competition she did with this bike was in '95 at a NORBA national at Mt. Spokane. It was fun to take pictures of her with Hans Rey and Lebor checking out the trials sections before competition. She now rides either a Transition covert or a Specialized SX trail on secret unnamed trails. Somewhere..

mtbr member
    Here is where I was from 2001 to 2006, before I made a Texas-sized mistake:

(note: I tried to post 2 of my favorite photos- don't know if it worked!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-sideslp2.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-drop1.jpg  

Certified Bike Junkie
    Columbia River?
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Yes, indeed! Max bonus points. That's an offshoot of the "Millenium" trail north and east of the town of Bingen, WA. You can see the Hood River Bridge in the background. That area has some of the best technical riding you will ever see, with lots of lava rock faces, infinite traction, and sheer terror.

Certified Bike Junkie
    I lived down river in Washougal WA 2003-2009. Going back asap
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    I will Paypal $3.00 to the first person (other than Mr. Olsen) to PM me what the original name of The Edge was supposed to be before Raleigh changed it to The Edge.

A hint - "No Name Too Mamby Pamby"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Llama

illuminaughty
    Actually ...Raleigh Llama..

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Once a Huffy always a Huffy.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Llama
    Well done, Sir.

PM me your Paypal address.

Any idea what the "No Name too Mamby Pamby" reference was alluding to?

illuminaughty
    I stand by my answer "Raleigh Llama" read the second post, forth paragraph, direct from Johns article.....but no problems, facts here are irrelevant.

John Olsen article scans...

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Brand - Raleigh

Model - Llama

illuminaughty

I'll explain....

Brand - Raleigh

Model - Llama
    ...the "joke" with the name is when it was said together..."Raleigh Llama"..the problem was the obvious rhyme with "Dalai Lama" ...they didn't want religious repercussions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well done, Sir.

PM me your Paypal address.

Any idea what the "No Name too Mamby Pamby" reference was alluding to?

Keep your money.

Let John Olsen know how much we all appreciated his writing back then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Pederson SE brakes on my Edge.. No more rollercam blues!!!
    Although, I can now flex my seatstays!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-201sm.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-205sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey just to let the rest of you know dmr tires makes a moto digger tire in a 24x2.1 size and a moto rt in a 24x2.2 size of which the rt is more of a street trail tire and the moto digger is more a looser soil tire, been a while since i've been on this site, WELCOME ABOARD JOHN OLSEN and thanks for designing some of the coolest bikes to ever come along, 26/24's ROCK

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Abaris could you please show us more pictures of your edge,

mtbr member
    Thank you, Scott! Glad I bumped into the site!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'll try to post some tonight!
    Maybe John could post a pic or two of an edge that he might have!!

So here is a question for John Olsen, Who chose the paint color for the Edge?

mtbr member
    Chris Murphy, the marketing genius for Raleigh at the time, chose the color, and I think he was responsible for the jagged gussets on the head tube as well. Chris was/is an extremely energetic and enthusiastic cyclist who I took on one of my Northwest trail rides (which included about 50 2' log crossings and a bunch of 30 degree climbs, so a "trials ride") on the Tiger Mountain Trail from the Highway 18 side of Tiger Mountain, near Issaquah WA in 1985 or 6. He got so fired up by it, that he started the Edge project. I based the geometry on bikes that I had been building for myself (you couldn't ride those trails on commercial bikes at that time), and Chris added the bling. He is quite a guy!

My payment for the Edge (I basically only did the geometry and "starred" in the ads) was 2 Edges. I sold one somewhere along the way, and have kept one in near new shape, but somehow missing the front brake! Anybody got a front brake with the old "wrong side" return spring?

Fondly,

John Olsen

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeBike13
    My payment for the Edge (I basically only did the geometry and "starred" in the ads) was 2 Edges. I sold one somewhere along the way, and have kept one in near new shape, but somehow missing the front brake! Anybody got a front brake with the old "wrong side" return spring?

Fondly,

John Olsen
    hmmm. I just took off the dia-comp 982s (or 985s, whichever) off mine (and put on Pedersons and I have an extra set of Pedersons)....I'm not a resto/vintage traditionalist but I think the Pedersons are nearly period correct....but I guess I'm not sure what John means by 'the old "wrong side" return spring".............hmmmmmm...yeah, I think I could part with the original dia-comps....by the way, how do you tell the year of manufacture of the Edge?

For Scott Murray,
    If your riding in the mud and have "mud" tires on and come to a bunch of rocks, which tire should I choose, the moto diger or the rt? How soft a compound, and all the other etc techno stuff?

east coast bob

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The moto digger is the more aggressive tire made for softer soils, the rt is more of a street and hardpack dirt tire I just came across them doing a general search on yahoo on cannondale's sm 600 just look on the net under dmr moto digger tires, Don't know the specs. on them other then the moto digger comes in a 24x2.1 which should fit your edge's chainstays. I run irc piranha pro's 24x2.1 on the back of my two edge's, there is a trail near where I live used to be an old 4x4 jeep trail real rocky, rocky ledges, loose rocks and my piranha pro's hook up amazingly well on them though it kind of chews them up but softer compound tires wear out faster that is the trade off for super traction but this trail has ALOT of sharp rocks brutal trail great workout though, anyways got about 12 set's from a bike shop in new york I think it was, that was selling a pair on ebay, contacted them asked them how many they had and bought a bunch so I wouldn't have to worry about back tires for a while, also arrow racing had a 24x2.1 wire bead tire that had a nice narly looking tread on them, think I saw them on cambria bikes website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Me again, ran out of room rambling on, anyhow I'm sorry mr. olsen I have none of my old brake parts or I would gladly send them to you, abaris I hope this was of some help, anything I can do to help out a fellow edge owner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Mr. Olsen Sir,
    Is this what you are looking for?

East Coast BOB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-2011-05-11_20-18-54_601.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hi Scott,
    For what it is worth:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-2011-05-11_18-48-38_693.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-2011-05-11_18-49-22_582.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-2011-05-11_18-49-50_939.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey John, I saw an Edge at Kurt Long's place and I thought he got it from you. Am I confused?

Sven

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hi abaris, What do you mean for what it's worth your bike looks trick that's got to be a blast to ride, What kind of bar is that I like the shape and bend of it, So tell me about those pedersen brakes those this look beefy how do they work? You say you have an extra set do you mean one single brake or two? Would you be interested in maybe selling them? If not do you know where or if you can still get those? Your bike looks really nice the way you've got it set up. Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hi abaris, What do you mean for what it's worth your bike looks trick that's got to be a blast to ride, What kind of bar is that I like the shape and bend of it, So tell me about those pedersen brakes those this look beefy how do they work? You say you have an extra set do you mean one single brake or two? Would you be interested in maybe selling them? If not do you know where or if you can still get those? Your bike looks really nice the way you've got it set up. Scott
    I have to admit it does look radical does it not? AND It is a blast to ride. I don't ride it as much as I should...work...time...muddy trails not open....etc...

Good eye on the handle bars! They started as NASHBAR downhill bars which are not listed on their site anymore. I got them about 11-12 years ago and have been on my Cannondale Beast until this winter. I also "cold set" them to have more sweep-up (or back depending on your point of view) to match my natural wrist angle when riding. They are extremely comfortable. So much for bars...but it is Friday nite...

The Pederson SE brakes work as the best brake I can put on right now short of discs, v brakes or Manguras. Mr. StrangeBike13 tells me "they don't work well going backwards but on a good day...". I can literally bend the seat stays and the "Big Cheese" adapter with them. And I mean bend and rotate. I can do the same with the Manguras on the C-dale without the brace on them so it sort of suggests I need a rear brake brace. I actually put the Manguras on for a short time, but boy did the seat stays flex then. I was afraid I was going to twist/bend the stays permanently. The "Big Cheese" adapter just isn't stiff enough by itself. (I have consulted with one of the TOP bike experts in the world and I believe he might suggest disc brakes. So I search now for a disc adapter for the rear.) That said, I can lock the rear wheel at will (that's the great thing about well set up Pedersons SE brakes), even though it feels like SpongeBob on a rainy day. Oh they only mount to V-brake/canti mounts; not to U brake or roller-cam mounts.

I have an extra set of Pederson SE's (I think I'm spelling that right), 1 front and 1 rear as they are location specific (unless you want to go backwards or turn your fork around 180 degrees). I will PM you about them. You would have to get an adapter.

The Edge to me is more of an "emotional" thing as this is the bike I "lusted" after (until I read about Ibis Mountain Trials or the early C-dale 26/24's , sorry StrangeBike13; However, I haven't been able to find an Ibis and today they are prrriiiccceeeyyy if you can find one.) The Edge's geometry is almost identical to the C-dale "Beast of the East"...That said, when the tough trails come along, I would rather be on the Beast. The bottom bracket on the Edge seems to flex more than the Beast and so do the wheels as well; but it is 10 years older than the C-dale.

Like the Beast, the Edge climbs well as long as you stay planted on the seat. Moving forward off the seat on STEEP CLIMBS is wheel spin city. Ny experience is that this would be easily remedied by shortening the chainstays...which I just haven't had the "heart" to do yet even though I have consulted with one of the TOP frame experts in the world.

If I could only talk StrangeBike13 into a swap... DiaCompe 982s for shortened stays...seems like a reasonable barter to me.

Wow. I guess that's enough for now.

Thanks for the interest Scott and I will PM you about the SE's.

East Coast Bob

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hi abaris, How does the lower arms of your big cheese mount to your seatstays?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Do any of you guy's know how I would go about converting u brakes bosses over so as to be able to run pedersen se brakes on the back of my edge? My back brake is seatstay mounted not under the chainstay's. Thanks for any help, Scott

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    The Scott/Pedersen u-Brake was available in a seatstay mount model - you have to look around, though.

I have one on the back of my Ibis Mt Trials.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/84/24...872_z.jpg?zz=1

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks, I guess i'll keep an eye out for one on ebay, By the way I've checked out your site vintage fat, saw your pictures of the restoration of your Mt Trials and let me say that is the most beautiful one I've ever seen, alot of time, effort, money, and love went into that restoration and let me tell you it shows, that has to be a blast to ride, I so envy you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That is one beautiful bike....I hope you don't ride it in the rough and get it all scratched up...incredible...I wish I had one.

Scott, I know of NO adapter for u brakes to cantis. Mine had the chainstay type roller cam.

richieb, do they make one for the upside down under chainstay position as it would have to have the opposite rotation helical gear in it.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Yes, there are chainstay Pedersen U-Brakes as well - just like the one on the FRONT of my Ibis...they're actually a little more common. A well tuned roller cam on a chainstay is a superior brake, though.

mtbr member

Mine finally posted here

All of these have me taking another look at mine. Here is the one I have that looks OK and is completely stock except for maybe the seat. Roller brake version though. Anyone have the saddle like mine on their bike? I don't use it, wall hanger, but seems it's time for me to clean it up, new cables, grease and a little TLC.

Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    One more thing, are the bars upside-down? Sure look like it to me.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Bars look bent te me, actually.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 27