Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Duh, Good point , Can't rotate 90 degrees on a five bolt crank, If I'd thought about that for a second I would have realized that, Oh well, never said I was very smart, but I could get it closer to what it should be just to see if it makes a differance.

mtbr member
    Scott, that's a great idea, but it would take me so long to make them with my hand drill and file that I['d have to charge more than a coffee for them, and I'm over caffeinated the way things are right now... I'd encourage you to try the Biopace rings rotated as close as you can get them to "right"- anxious to hear your opinion! Try them on a very steep hill that you can just climb with normal rings... Try them both ways!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So Bob, Whats up? How you got your bike setup these days? I went ahead and rotated the biopace two bolt holes and by golly the chainring is narrowest now when the crankarms are at 6:00 and 12:00, and thats on a five bolt crank, how do you like that?Hope you and your family didn't get pounded by the weather to bad..

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So many questions...
    So, rotating by 2 holes...hmmm. that's 144 degrees.
    That means they may not be phased so smallest is at TDC.
    Did it actually help at all or just feel weird?
    I don't know much about 'rithmatic or about BioPace chainrings. I think it's like 29ers and just marketing hoopla...
    Were you drinking when you rotated them? Just kidding... (but really were you?)
    Maybe J.O. has an explanation.
    What happens is you flip it inside out?

So, my junky bikes.
    Edge - added rear canti mounts.. in for repaint and perhaps a few other little mods. It won't be Pink.

C'Dale beast- converted from singlespeed back to 7speed.

C'Dale 1991 - had single speed setup working on modified 16" chainstays (notorious axle bender) until chain broke. This bike has not been operational since 1995.

1972 Rayleigh Record - in process conversion to 27" singlespeed cyclocross bike sort of....more like a Rat-Rod project. You know, when you ride up to a 36 inch log, you jump off the bike, throw the bike over the log and then climb over the log, pick up the bike and ride on...
    Back in the seventies this was the way we road off-road before those people in Marin Co., CA took credit for everything....

198? RoyceUnion MTB "water pipe" frame - in process kinda like a StrangeBike. Looking for parts...(I know enough not to ask here). Needs paint. Won't be pink.

'Nuff said - Now Ride!
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Guys, quit thinking about weird sprockets and check this out, stat:

Riding the skinnies at Dan Funke’s back yard MTB playground « Mountain Bike Geezer

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeBike13 View Post

Riding the skinnies at Dan Funke’s back yard MTB playground « Mountain Bike Geezer
    thats some cool stuff on that site....I'll be at Rays all weekend playing on the skinnies...cant wait!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Bob, WOW, Now that's an update, I'd post a picture if I knew how but I'm telling you the biopace is narrowest now when the crank arms are vertical, Doesn't really matter cause I took the crankarms off and switched them out with deore's and put my old 30 tooth round ring back on, that's quite a collection of bikes you've got there..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice backyard playground, I'd like to get me one of those, Then I could really hurt myself.. Oh Guys There is a real clean looking almost orginal raleigh edge on ebay right now and it's a real steal at ONLY 6,999.99 plus 150.00 shipping, I want some of what there smoking...

mtbr member
    Scott, save even more- Buy 2!!!!

I wonder if that price was in Iranian Rials? Or Mohican Kroner?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Maybe thats in monopoly money, Nice looking edge, looks to be in real good shape, But get real with that price!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scott murray View Post
    Maybe thats in monopoly money, Nice looking edge, looks to be in real good shape, But get real with that price!!!
    Ya know, it's even got Biopace chainrings! Figure that even though not stock!
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Honest to God, I only paid $49.95 for mlne! (No insult intended to Mr. Olson)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    that kook has soo many nice bikes like that for wayyy too much $$...Pisses me off when I see somethign I really want/need and it's from them...I wont purchase anything form that store just because of what them ads do to the general pricing (all those folks that use ebay searches to determine what something is worth)...freekin scammers....bikes are for riding....and riding..and riding.

mtbr member
    The funny thing about his site?

The name of his store, Budget bicycle center.

Or maybe it's only funny because that is way out of my budget.
    I use to be lean & mean... Now I'm just an a$$hole!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    To bad on the price it would be just what david9999999 is looking for, then we could have another new member to our club...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bob, How did you get your edge for only $50.00? You lucky dog...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    To bad on the price it would be just what david9999999 is looking for, then we could have another new member to our club...
    you can add me to that list also...I got my eyes peeled for one...I saw a few some years ago but wasnt interested untill I read this thread and looked into them a bit....definately my stytle of riding, I'm not into hopping around, but I love super techhy stuff that gives a great feeling of accomplisment when cleaned....and I dig VRC bikes!

mtbr member
    I would like to pick up another too. My ex-wife has mine; long story.

mtbr member
    Talk about hitting a guy where it counts!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I thinks its the acid rain, man!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Merry christmas everybody !!!

mtbr member
    And happy new year with shocking pink/salmon bows on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

mtbr member
    I am a man of many talents and simultaneous locations. I was also the prime minister of Australia back in the day. But I STILL have trouble adjusting front derallers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Re: Raleigh "The Edge"

....... But I STILL have trouble adjusting front derallers!
    I have the same problem so I just remove them!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Merry christmas everybody !!!
    Hey Scott, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

So Strangebike13,
    In your humble opinion, what's all the hype over real wide handlebars, i.e.,>30"?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Guys, I have a answer aluminilite bar on my one edge and I really like,I used to run a kona dh bar but I like the answer more, little more rise ,wider and less sweep. My question do any of you know what to use to keep your grips from slipping on your bars? something that actually works,
    Quote Originally Posted by abaris View Post
    So Strangebike13,
    In your humble opinion, what's all the hype over real wide handlebars, i.e.,>30"?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

My question do any of you know what to use to keep your grips from slipping on your bars? something that actually works,

Back in the day it was hairspray....some worked, some didn't !
    Maybe snydercj7 knows best....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Back in the day it was hairspray....some worked, some didn't !
    Maybe snydercj7 knows best....
    That's what I used to use and like you said some worked some didn't, any chance you remember which ones worked? Thanks Bob

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

I never used hair spray.
    I know use lock-on grips or stay out of the rain.
    3M makes some spray adhesive for automobile emblem and such. Give it a try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

grip slip

I never used hair spray.
    I know use lock-on grips or stay out of the rain.
    3M makes some spray adhesive for automobile emblem and such. Give it a try.
    Hey John, You out there? or any of you others know of any certain brands of hairspray that works for non slip grips? Thanks

mtbr member
    Hey John, You out there? or any of you others know of any certain brands of hairspray that works for non slip grips? Thanks
    AFAIK all brands of hairspray are water-soluble. (How else could you ever shampoo it out of your hair?). I never found a hairspray brand that would continue to stick in very wet conditions. I'm from the Pacific Northwest. I think hairspray for grips must be a SoCal or Arizona thing.

Use 3m FasTack, as long as you don't want to ever be able to remove it!

Any glue that needs to be installed wet (so the grips slide on) will take a long time to set up. They harden by off-gassing, which is hard to do through a rubber grip. So give it time to set up before riding, like a day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bulgie View Post
    AFAIK all brands of hairspray are water-soluble. (How else could you ever shampoo it out of your hair?). I never found a hairspray brand that would continue to stick in very wet conditions. I'm from the Pacific Northwest. I think hairspray for grips must be a SoCal or Arizona thing.

Use 3m FasTack, as long as you don't want to ever be able to remove it!

Any glue that needs to be installed wet (so the grips slide on) will take a long time to set up. They harden by off-gassing, which is hard to do through a rubber grip. So give it time to set up before riding, like a day.
    Hey Guys, I got a tube of Loctite stik"n seal outdoor adhesive,Let them set for a couple days, Perfect!! Thanks for the advice, So Bob Whats up? How you running your edge now?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    mix up some dish soap in some water and put a thin layer of that on your bar ends, you don't need much.
    All vintage all the time. Nothing like a nice chromo frame with some properly adjusted cantilevers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxes88 View Post
    mix up some dish soap in some water and put a thin layer of that on your bar ends, you don't need much.
    Hey Guys, Where'd everybody go? What happened to our once proud and mighty forum?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm still lurking...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven Trials View Post
    I'm still lurking...
    Okay, So now there is another edge on ebay and they want $4,995 for it, Whats wrong with these people?Bob, John you guys still out there? Sven Trials and I are awfully lonely out here on this forum all by ourselves. Whats new with everybody?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Okay, So now there is another edge on ebay and they want $4,995 for it, Whats wrong with these people?Bob, John you guys still out there? Sven Trials and I are awfully lonely out here on this forum all by ourselves. Whats new with everybody?
    What can I say....
    You got the $$, buy it!

mtbr member
    18 pages on an old middle of the road Raliegh, wow!
    My first mountain bike was a 1988 Raliegh Chill. Biopace, Deore group, chainstay U brake, 6 speed thumb shifters, Technium frame, white with turquoise lettering. The top tube was extremely short (I think 20" on my medium), and I had a toe clip overlap problem. Also the chainstays were very long at 17.5." It changed my life though

mtbr member
    Sorry, guys, I stopped getting notices of new messages in, like, February. Very wide handlebars are great for bikes with too much trail, and very shallow head angles, like downhill bikes and extreme freeride bikes. They have horrible wheel flop at low speeds on level ground (which they aren't designed for). The wide bars help combat flop and also give you leverage when you land after Going Big. I think you can get TOO wide on a technical or XC bike. You hit stuff. Your hands hurt.

mtbr member
    On Grips: Water is your enemy. Riding in wet vegetation causes water to wick under the grips and loosen them. Soon you need dental work. I have had the best luck with black spray paint. Why black? Most grips and many bars are black. Whatever.

The spray enamel (don't know if it matters) lubricates the grip to facilitate installation, keeps it stuck to the bar for a long time, and is not impossible to remove with air pressure if you need to change grips or get to inboard equipment like shifters or brake levers.

That said... I use clamp-on grips. They rule.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    On Grips: Water is your enemy. Riding in wet vegetation causes water to wick under the grips and loosen them. Soon you need dental work. I have had the best luck with black spray paint. Why black? Most grips and many bars are black. Whatever.

The spray enamel (don't know if it matters) lubricates the grip to facilitate installation, keeps it stuck to the bar for a long time, and is not impossible to remove with air pressure if you need to change grips or get to inboard equipment like shifters or brake levers.

That said... I use clamp-on grips. They rule.
    Hey John, Good to here from you my friend, How are you doing? What kind of riding do you do mostly these days, What kind of bikes over the years have stood out to you as being good technical trail bikes? In other words mountain trials bikes? It's really good to here from you and to have you on this forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hey fellow Edge fans. I brushed the dust off of my edge (literally) and have been taking it for a few rides lately. It was originally purchased back in 87/88 time frame new by me for my wife. It ended-up with high-rise bars and a cushy womens saddle to help coax my wife into riding it, but I think she may have ridden it 3 or 4 times since it was purchased. I have had it out a few times, but not many. After all these years I have claimed the bike back, put a trailworthy saddle on it and have started putting a few miles on it. Here is a shot of the bike before I slapped a set of SPD's on it.

This bike is actually pretty well-suited to the tight rooted and rocky single-track in Missouri. All of the bikes traits have been flooding back to me. Turns on a dime with steering precision that really lets you thread through and over rock gardens and roots. Climbs really nicely,but is a little spooky on the steep downhills and I was reminded today that even though its a heavy little chunk of a bike, it is light in the rear and reminds of the times I have been over the bars on this bike. I don't think my wife ever knew about those wrecks on "her" bike. The straight cut gears don't shift all that smoothly and it tends to make quite a bit of racket when shifting. Overall though I am impressed with how well the bike still rides and handles. Its definitely not a fast bike, but it is capable and most importantly its a fun bike to ride. I enjoy riding it the most when I am solo on my own clock since thats when the slower pace of the 24" rear wheel is less noticeable. Having said that though I was trailing a buddy of mine last week on his rigid Niner MCR and although I was losing ground I wasn't too far off the pace.

Todays ride was really a blast and thought some of you edge-heads might like to see a pic of one in the wild.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post
    Hey fellow Edge fans. I brushed the dust off of my edge (literally) and have been taking it for a few rides lately. It was originally purchased back in 87/88 time frame new by me for my wife. It ended-up with high-rise bars and a cushy womens saddle to help coax my wife into riding it, but I think she may have ridden it 3 or 4 times since it was purchased. I have had it out a few times, but not many. After all these years I have claimed the bike back, put a trailworthy saddle on it and have started putting a few miles on it. Here is a shot of the bike before I slapped a set of SPD's on it.

This bike is actually pretty well-suited to the tight rooted and rocky single-track in Missouri. All of the bikes traits have been flooding back to me. Turns on a dime with steering precision that really lets you thread through and over rock gardens and roots. Climbs really nicely,but is a little spooky on the steep downhills and I was reminded today that even though its a heavy little chunk of a bike, it is light in the rear and reminds of the times I have been over the bars on this bike. I don't think my wife ever knew about those wrecks on "her" bike. The straight cut gears don't shift all that smoothly and it tends to make quite a bit of racket when shifting. Overall though I am impressed with how well the bike still rides and handles. Its definitely not a fast bike, but it is capable and most importantly its a fun bike to ride. I enjoy riding it the most when I am solo on my own clock since thats when the slower pace of the 24" rear wheel is less noticeable. Having said that though I was trailing a buddy of mine last week on his rigid Niner MCR and although I was losing ground I wasn't too far off the pace.

Todays ride was really a blast and thought some of you edge-heads might like to see a pic of one in the wild.

Hey N10S,Good looking Edge,If you don't mind really going not fast take off the two large chainrings just run the granny chainring, take off the front derailleur and thumb shifter, shorten the chain and you'll have tons of ground clearance for riding that wicked looking terrain in your one picture, either way nice Edge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hey N10S,Good looking Edge,If you don't mind really going not fast take off the two large chainrings just run the granny chainring, take off the front derailleur and thumb shifter, shorten the chain and you'll have tons of ground clearance for riding that wicked looking terrain in your one picture, either way nice Edge.
    At the risk of sounding like a weight weenie, I have been thinking about how much more fun the bike would be if it shed some weight. I have an old-school forged RaceFace LP crankset equipped with a 32T Salsa ring(also have a 34T as well), a UN72 BB, and an n-gear jump-stop that are all sitting in my parts bin waiting to be used. That factory nut-style BB and crankset are boat anchors for sure and I bet changing cranks and BB and dropping the FD and shifter I would lose over a pound of weight. I typically run my bikes either 1x or SS so this would be a logical thing for me to do. A ti handlebar to replace the heavy steel riser bars would also provide a more resilient ride, and then tossing the front derailleur and shifter, the rear derailleur guard and stock tires in a box in favor of newer lighter rubber would be the last thing I would do. The cransket and BB is easy since I already have the items available.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

That's what a true edge-head would do....its an old trials bike...don't think it can do much more. Of coarse, after all of that you'll want to find some REAL brakes....etc.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    That's what a true edge-head would do....its an old trials bike...don't think it can do much more. Of coarse, after all of that you'll want to find some REAL brakes....etc.....
    Yeah brakes are a little tough with the chainstay brake equipped bike.I still have the orginal XC roller-cam brakes in a box and had replaced those in the early 90's with a Deore U-Brake with a billet aluminum Brodie brake booster.That rear brake is actually pretty effective considering the OE pads. Not sure you could get a set of Magura's down there or if you could would really want a hydro line exposed in an area like that anyway. Up front there are plenty of options.

mtbr member
    I like the trails! They look fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I like the trails! They look fun.
    They are fun! Missouri has some decent singletrack trails, and if you are ever in the St.Louis area there are plenty of riding places like that. Some fast and smooth and other trails more technical, rooted and rocky.There is plenty of climbing and descending, but not like you would find out west. That particular trail where I took that pic is part of the Lost Valley trail network which is west of St.Louis. I had not ridden there for at least 6-8 month and was surprised to find two new sections of singletrack. The Edge was the perfect bike for doing some low-speed exploring. Most of the trails around here are loops of anywhere from 4 -24 miles in length and the shorter loops in particular are perfect for rigid bikes like the Edge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post
    They are fun! Missouri has some decent singletrack trails, and if you are ever in the St.Louis area there are plenty of riding places like that. Some fast and smooth and other trails more technical, rooted and rocky.There is plenty of climbing and descending, but not like you would find out west. That particular trail where I took that pic is part of the Lost Valley trail network which is west of St.Louis. I had not ridden there for at least 6-8 month and was surprised to find two new sections of singletrack. The Edge was the perfect bike for doing some low-speed exploring. Most of the trails around here are loops of anywhere from 4 -24 miles in length and the shorter loops in particular are perfect for rigid bikes like the Edge.
    So try putting some kool stop pads on your back brake, that and the brake brace should give you a pretty decent back brake, As for the rest it depends on how fast you don't want to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality View Post
    that gusset alone makes it worth having. totally awesome bikes.
    Say that again! Love vintage rides, especially if folks are still riding them! Keep it up Mate!

mtbr member
    Just curious if anybody had a number stamped into the gusset on there
    '87 edges, I have a "02" stamped in the right drive side?
    84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by YakimaDeathYaks View Post
    Just curious if anybody had a number stamped into the gusset on there
    '87 edges, I have a "02" stamped in the right drive side?
    Yesserybob, mine is an '87 and has the same marking/stamping on the right gusset.
    Incredible!
    How about Olsen, does his have that also!?!?

mtbr member
    I have my Edge back in my basement now. I'll go look... (time passes) Mine has "02" stamped into the right gusset. It is one of the earliest ones, because that's how they paid me- 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Do you still need the front canti's?

mtbr member
    No, thank you, Bob, I found some.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No, thank you, Bob, I found some.
    I need a rear wheel assembly for one of my edge's, Can any of you guy's help me out?

mtbr member
    That's going to be a tough one if you want to match rims... I"ll keep my eyes open for one though!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That's going to be a tough one if you want to match rims... I"ll keep my eyes open for one though!
    Thanks John, I've got cracks in my rim and in this day and age of cheaper to just replace then fix I thought I'd try to find another wheel, Funny because my other Edge did the same thing and I had a Sun Rhino Lite rim laced up to my stock wheel, problem solved but like I said these days it would probably cost more to have that done to this bike then to just get another wheel, this weekend I'm going to check some of the local bike shops, Thanks Again...

mtbr member
    Good luck, Scott!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Good luck! Now go to warp drive, Scotty!
    Seriously, I have an old 24" wheel that would need an axle and bearings. The shipping would be more than just going to a LBS.
    Also, some NOS 24X2.5 arrow racing tires on ebay!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks Bob, I'm going to have a LBS get me a sun rhyno lite rim and lace it to my rear wheel, $80.00 Thanks for help though, So what's going on with your bike these day's...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks Bob, I'm going to have a LBS get me a sun rhyno lite rim and lace it to my rear wheel, $80.00 Thanks for help though, So what's going on with your bike these day's...
    Good deal Scott! Support your local bike shops!!

My Edge is in for a few fixes. Since I shortened the chainstays, I had decided to paint the Edge. As it is a modfied Edge, it seems the color shouldn't be that p()$$y pink any more. Maybe RED!!

Also, I have been dreaming of the ultimate Buffalo Bike: a 29+/19, keeping in the spirit of rolling trials and extreme technical trail riding (and therefore gears) with respect to the environment and others on the trail (no shredding-All Mountain-suspension $hit).

Maybe StrangeBike13 might chime in if he thinks this might be a fun project.

I've got the Edge frame already shortened; I've got a 29er front fork with a 1" steerer;I've got a 19" wheel with a Maxxis 2.5" Creepy Crawler....All I really need is a 29+ wheel and tire and tube....

Time to call Surly....

What do you think???

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Good deal Scott! Support your local bike shops!!

My Edge is in for a few fixes. Since I shortened the chainstays, I had decided to paint the Edge. As it is a modfied Edge, it seems the color shouldn't be that p()$$y pink any more. Maybe RED!!

Also, I have been dreaming of the ultimate Buffalo Bike: a 29+/19, keeping in the spirit of rolling trials and extreme technical trail riding (and therefore gears) with respect to the environment and others on the trail (no shredding-All Mountain-suspension $hit).

Maybe StrangeBike13 might chime in if he thinks this might be a fun project.

I've got the Edge frame already shortened; I've got a 29er front fork with a 1" steerer;I've got a 19" wheel with a Maxxis 2.5" Creepy Crawler....All I really need is a 29+ wheel and tire and tube....

Time to call Surly....

What do you think???
    That sounds strange alright. Did you not like your Edge when you were running a 24 inch front wheel on it? When you first mentioned that I liked that idea, A little more top tube clearance and you'd still have the same amount of ground clearance as an ibis mountain trials... It would be nice if the Edge had been offered in two sizes, an Edge with say a two inch smaller frame size would be awesome...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The 24/24 configuration had a steeeeeep head angle...like 78 degrees. It was twitchy but trialsey ... A 29er front end seems to throw the head angle to the other extreme...like 64 degrees. Not ideal for going up hill. But, I was only dreaming.

In reality, the 26/20 seem to handle the best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The 24/24 configuration had a steeeeeep head angle...like 78 degrees. It was twitchy but trialsey ... A 29er front end seems to throw the head angle to the other extreme...like 64 degrees. Not ideal for going up hill. But, I was only dreaming.

In reality, the 26/20 seem to handle the best.
    A while back I had the back wheel off from one of my Edge's and it was hanging on the wall and I saw one of my one son's 20 inch bmx back wheels and just put it on the back of my bike just to see, His axle is bigger, but leaning against the wall kept it in place and I have to admit it looked kinda cool, Strange but cool in an odd sort of way plus you could run maxxis cpeepy crawlers for a back tire except a chain tensioner would be just about dragging on the ground, looked kind of cool none the less. I wonder how a small sized frame 29/26 with just the granny chainring up front would be like...

mtbr member
    Bob, where on earth did you find a 29" fork with a 1" steerer?!?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    But really, it would slack the head angle out to ~64 degrees; and the trail would be a staggering 139mm with wheel flop at a whopping 55mm!!!!!

mtbr member
    I built an adjustable bike once for the US Olympic team. It was far more rideable at a 90 degree head angle with negative trail than it was with a 60 degree head angle and lots of trail... At some point, you give up and just build a one-off frame to suit weird wheel combos.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ... At some point, you give up and just build a one-off frame to suit weird wheel combos.
    SO, if a 29/20 Bison bike was to have any utility, it would be climbing/rolling off logs/obstacles and the 20" rear just lets you put more weight back off the rear so ya don't do an instant endo into a blackberry bush where that bear is...this would have to be a situation where you can not hop like all the trials guys and gals do nowadays...maybe not enough room to do so, can't hop due to some military wound from Afghanistan, etc.....
    So your saying, that head angle modifications would be in order such as extending the top tube??

mtbr member
    Actually, a good hopper should be able to hop around on the 20" back wheel just fine. When I did my 26/20 Bison in the 80's, it was because you could get sticky Euro 20" trials tires, and I wanted a bike for Cap Sante in Anacortes, which has lovely big rock faces that are frequently damp and a bit slippery. That's all rubber compound, and back then only 20" trials tires had good rubber. The big wheel in front was for descending the rock faces. I don't hop, so it was good for me. My next bike had 20/20 wheels, and it was better, you just had to be awake when you got to the bottom of the rock slabs...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Is that trail still there? Do you still ride it?

Sent from infinity...

mtbr member

Cap Sante

It is still there, and I ain't riding ANYTHING right now (bad back), but we still ride it. It rocks, literally! Some of the best rolling trials ever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-anacortes.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-capsante.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-capsantetanker.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    WOW!
    Is the back fixable?

Sent with Tapatalk from infinity...

mtbr member
    Well, I couldn't really afford all the copays for an MRI, so I've been trying to stretch and "physical therapy" my way out of this hole. I reckon it's probably surgery or nothing. Sigh. Isn't much you can do when your toes are wired up to 220 volts, with the switch thrown whenever you do anything fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Raleigh "The Edge"

Abaris, that's great except for one issue- you can get more than your total bike/body weight into the rear tire contact patch using dynamics. F = MA.

This technique allows you to climb very steep stuff on normal chainstay bikes. It isn't "trick" - it is just physics, and out here, you either learn it or you walk up the steeper climbs...
    So wouldn't that be
    dF/dt=M dA/dt

which is really Change in Force (Dynamic Traction) = Mass X Jerk?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Raleigh "The Edge"

Josh told me how good he is at dynamic traction if you get the dirft...

mtbr member
    Are you calling Josh a jerk?!? No espresso for you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Raleigh "The Edge"

oh no Sir, Sir John. Just that he has mass and he jerks it.....

mtbr member

Lol

I'm left blushing

mtbr member
    OK, going for my first singletrack mountain bike ride in nearly a year tonight... Heart Lake trail, Anacortes, WA, the easiest trail on Fidalgo Island (but also where I hurt my back a year ago). Wish me luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good luck John!! Take it easy out there..

mtbr member
    Good luck and godspeed, wish I was there as #12 is feeling the neglect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh snap!

mtbr member
    Ride Report. Olsen solo, for humanitarian reasons. Forgot back bladder, so no water or place to carry keys and wallet and EMT-summoning telephone device. Went to Bike Spot, bought cheapest water bottle, which came with free water, bless them. Proceeded to Heart Lake Ex-State Park, changed into Superman outfit in luxurious outhouse (concrete floor- pinnacle), hid valuables in car, and buried keys in forest next to a dog bone. Proceeded up incredibly steep and strenuous trail to the north (20 foot climb right out of the lot). My recently reclaimed granny gear got lots of use. Pleasantly surprised by lungs, less so by legs, which seem to glow red at the slightest effort. Back tightened up on every climb, and had flashes of The Bad Pain on several. Note: We are talking 5 to 10 foot vertical here… Every bad pain was followed by stopping and stretching. Had brought a cassette tape player with Enya for proper stretching mood; heat was already at Bikram yoga levels, so that was good. Made it to end of this trail with only 2 yoga sessions, in less than half an hour. Proceeded to pedal around “the square”, the bowl shaped rectangle of woods north of the lake, with only a few more yogic visits. Inadvertently climbed one maybe 50’ hill. Was passed by a family with a toddler. As they walked by me, the toddler said, “Daddy! Bike is all sweaty!”. Out of the mouth of babes… By this time, I was getting plenty thirsty. Reached for brand new water bottle, which was safely back in the car.

4 blackberry scratches, moderate dehydration, 2 back spasms, one hill walked up, numerous mosquito fly-by’s, but no bites.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Raleigh "The Edge"

Bravo Sir John!
    What bike did you use?

(and what is a cassette player?......)

Sent from somewhere

RocketJSquirrel
    Quote Originally Posted by snydercj7 View Post
    Good luck and godspeed, wish I was there as #12 is feeling the neglect.
    Your such a *****!
    Ride that beast!!!

RocketJSquirrel
    Ride Report. Olsen solo, ...
    Glad to see you back in the WooDs, good man!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Raleigh "The Edge"

Ride Report. Olsen solo, for humanitarian reasons. Forgot back bladder, so no water or place to carry keys and wallet and EMT-summoning telephone device. Went to Bike Spot, bought cheapest water bottle, which came with free water, bless them. Proceeded to Heart Lake Ex-State Park, changed into Superman outfit in luxurious outhouse (concrete floor- pinnacle), hid valuables in car, and buried keys in forest next to a dog bone. Proceeded up incredibly steep and strenuous trail to the north (20 foot climb right out of the lot). My recently reclaimed granny gear got lots of use. Pleasantly surprised by lungs, less so by legs, which seem to glow red at the slightest effort. Back tightened up on every climb, and had flashes of The Bad Pain on several. Note: We are talking 5 to 10 foot vertical here… Every bad pain was followed by stopping and stretching. Had brought a cassette tape player with Enya for proper stretching mood; heat was already at Bikram yoga levels, so that was good. Made it to end of this trail with only 2 yoga sessions, in less than half an hour. Proceeded to pedal around “the square”, the bowl shaped rectangle of woods north of the lake, with only a few more yogic visits. Inadvertently climbed one maybe 50’ hill. Was passed by a family with a toddler. As they walked by me, the toddler said, “Daddy! Bike is all sweaty!”. Out of the mouth of babes… By this time, I was getting plenty thirsty. Reached for brand new water bottle, which was safely back in the car.

4 blackberry scratches, moderate dehydration, 2 back spasms, one hill walked up, numerous mosquito fly-by’s, but no bites.
    So I too had a not so serious accident on my Pug (Broken chain going up steep section on down stroke single speed standing left me a gimp till I can get into chiropractor....). In the mean time, I upgraded the front end of my Edge: Exotic 465mm fork to slackened out the head angle from 74.5 degrees to about 70.5 degrees; 15.25 inch bottom bracket (that's +50mm in modern day trials frame geometry talk); Avid Elixer front disc brake with 180mm rotor; 26x2.5 tire.

So how are all the Edge fans? Scott? John?

mtbr member
    With all that ground clearance, think of the high water you'll be able to ride through!

Still can't ride, Bob. Back worse than ever, due to physical therapy bending me at the "Do Not Bend Here" sign. I hear you might come out to Washington? Josh will have to take you to Whistle! You do know how to whistle, don't you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That sounds intimidating if not strange.

I guess a fork with slightly less length like 430 or 440 might be in order. But the 74.5 degree head angle was a bit of a handful Rolling off obstacles.

I probably won't make it out to Washington till next spring or so.

Napa valley tomorrow though!

mtbr member

Raleigh "The Edge"

Just got an Edge.

Raleigh "The Edge"-imageuploadedbytapatalk1413855747.840761.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks very original and stock! Nice!

RocketJSquirrel
    What are those funny things on the frame?

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketJSquirrel View Post
    What are those funny things on the frame?
    You're going to have to be more specific, Squirrel.

Are you talking about the gussets at the head tube?

RocketJSquirrel
    I suppose you can call them that. Do they actually do anything?

mtbr member
    They are there because Raleigh Marketing thought that they would look cool and make the bike look more rugged. They actually do make the front end of the frame stronger, and harder to buckle, but they were put on for "image". The jagged rear edges of the plates are pure styling, non-functional. I didn't argue much- a major bike company was going to volume-produce a trails/technical trail bike, for heaven's sake.

RocketJSquirrel
    They are there because Raleigh Marketing thought that they would look cool and make the bike look more rugged. They actually do make the front end of the frame stronger, and harder to buckle, but they were put on for "image". The jagged rear edges of the plates are pure styling, non-functional. I didn't argue much- a major bike company was going to volume-produce a trails/technical trail bike, for heaven's sake.
    Do you think they help with lateral stiffness of the frame?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 27