Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trolls

Those decals were made for me by Genny Gebhart and Lee Kanning, who lived not a mile from the Fremont Bridge. There must be something in the water there... Or is it the proximity to Ballard?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Anytime John. It's nice to get a glimpse of more John Olsen creations!!
    Do they have numbers?

Here is how close my rear tire fits now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-2011-08-11_09-23-45_371.jpg  

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm gonna say that that tire is about the limit! You could try to dent the chainstays, got some ideas on how to do that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeBike13 View Post
    Hi guys! This is John Olsen. I just discovered this thread (amazed to find it, actually). I was Uncle Knobby from 1994 until about 2002.
    So if you were Uncle Knobby, who was Capt. Dondo?

For Scott Murray, How's the single speed edge and log climbing going?

abaris
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I did Uncle Knobby from '94 on, after my predecessor pissed of the guy who ran Nightsun (!). go figure, but good for me. Captain Dondo was Don Cuerdon, and he actually edited my Uncle Knobby submissions, and he was great at it! Dondo is still around, I think living in New England or PA or somewhere. He is a great guy, and I miss his columns.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hi Bob, Just waiting for a sette single speed chain tensioner I ordered in the mail to get here, Didn't really want a spring loaded tensioner but the price was right and if it works I'll be HAPPY, I want to get a rennen tensioner eventually ($50.00) Week two no working bike, This sucks, Those guys looked like they were right out of an episode of C.H.I.P.S, Tee shirts, short shorts, tube socks and tennis shoes now that is custom riding gear, Wait a second that's how I used to dress, Anyways what a cool blast from the past, And there riding in dirt, through creeks, over logs and rocks WOW riding trials not in a mall parking lot over a course of all man made obsticles what a concept, Give me old timers trials, OFF ROAD, on courses laid out over TECHNICAL NATURAL TERRAIN, Once I get my bike done I'll post some pictures, Oh by the way someone dumped a BUNCH more BIG logs off where I was telling you about the one that's, down the street from my house, You and Mr. Olsen would love it, getting late, Scott Murray signing off

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Guys, Got the sette tensioner the other day, Put it on, barely fit, You'll see what I mean, Going to go for a good off road ride sun. will report back on it's performance then, will try to get some pictures posted as soon as I can get my one son to help me post some, It's actually a pretty trick little tensioner and so far the bike has worked GREAT, I ordered another for my other edge, Anyway's I'll post some pictures for you guys to check out asap, Scott I may not be fast but I sure am slow Murray signing off

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Guys, No issues with the tensioner worked great, Still need to bounce it around some more real good to see how it does then, so on to something different, anybody got any pictures or info on the fat chance mountain trials bike, got some great pictures from bush pig but I thought some of you other guys might have some insight on this bike, I found an image on the net of a 1985 spec sheet with a picture of one, I remember them from the good old days but would like more pictures and info on this bike if anyone could help me out? Thanks Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Guys, Need some advice, I want to go with a square tapered sealed cartridge bearing bottom bracket on my bikes,I want a maintenance free one, been looking at the shimano un 55, I want something inexpensive but will last me a long time with no problems, Is that a good choice or would something else be better, anyboby know off hand what size I need? anyways if you guys will give me some feedback on the bottom bracket please, Thanks Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey scott, i use one of those no problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Look here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hi Bob,Thanks I'll give the un 55 a try,I just found the american trials steeplejack on mombat, SWEET!! Thanks for your help and advice, Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hi Bob, so how do like life with the singlespeed? I'd have to say I'm digging it, clean and simple like a bike is supposed to be, just to let you know the sette works but there is play between the part that threads into your derailleur hanger and the actual tensioner body, so far still works good no issues just wish places had pride in making a quality product instead of just a cheap one also the jockey wheel kind of floats the way it's mounted, I really like the design of it just if the quality was better, anyways what's new with your bike? saw your picture you posted can't really see the rear hub and gear, so you say you made it from your old freewheel? Going to have to save up some money get me a shimano un 55 sealed cartradge bottom bracket, Thanks again for the reply,Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Scott,
    Singlespeed is slow!
    I've been running a 20 front tooth and a 16 freewheel cheepo single freewheel on the rear. This gives me a 30 inch gear which allows me to grind up hills and cost on back down. Anything higher geared is just too difficult to go up the short steep stuff around here. I am thinking of going lower and adding a second single speed for the dirt roads. but still working on the two right combos that give me the the gear ratios I'm looking for with the same length chain.

I have added Maguras to the Edge. I know it distracts from the originality of the bike, but I want to start doing some more serious trials moves and need really good brakes....Does anyone know when magura HS33 first came on the scene?????

I am keeping all the original parts bagged and tagged for future Vintage restoration.

So here are some pics of the current state:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-p9056099sm.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-p9056101sm.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-p9056103sm.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-p9056104sm.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-p9056115sm.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-p9056110sm.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-p9056109sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Bob, Damn that looks good, Nice job on the singlespeed conversion, Nice brakes, You must have some wicked awesome parts laying around in your garage, You should leave it just like that Bob, looks badass! So how long did it take to trim the back tire? Looks really good with 2.50's on it front and rear, really good, So just let me know when your ready to sell it and how much, Good job Bob!!, Scott

illuminaughty
    Those look SOO good with fat rubber on them..nice ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks Scott, da'HOOV (I've been meaning to ask, where does that screen name come from?)

As you well know, I am not in the market to sell (at this point). And I have twice as much into the tires and brakes as I paid for the bike. But the bike is priceless with Olsen's signature on it.

My goal is to relive a few years with the equipment that I wanted back then and just couldn't get (afford, constrained by family responsibilties, etc.). I will be happy when I can ride up to my picnic table and "hop" up on it, old school style and then gracefully drop off the other side.

28+lbs is sort of heavy to do this with but hey you never know.

To trim the rear tire took less than an hour and more than a half hour. Not the most exciting way to make it fit. But the extra volume of the 2.5 inchers is greatly appreciated. and gobs of traction. Haven't been to the big rocks to check out the sticky compound yet.

And the brakes combined with the tires STOP the bike at command with just a touch of that sweet musical trials chirps.

I kind of like calling this bike a Resto-Rod.....

Now if I could find a shorter PINK stem.... and some wider bars.....

mtbr member
    On the BB, there are like 3 variables. You've got a 68mm British thread (BSC) shell. The other variables are how wide is the axle from end to end, and how far does the right (drive) side stick out? If you match the axle length and the right side length, you have a fit.

I've used those Shimano BBs for years with no problems. I'd say "Why pay more?".

Abaris, your bike looks great! Hey, if you had a chain tensioner, you could run 2 chainrings (inside and middle) and two cogs on the rear, and have a high-ish gear and a trials-ish gear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Abaris, your bike looks great! Hey, if you had a chain tensioner, you could run 2 chainrings (inside and middle) and two cogs on the rear, and have a high-ish gear and a trials-ish gear.
    Thanks john...
    It would look better if i could find some "PINK" touch-up paint.

Somehow you are able to read my mind! I have been contemplating doing almost that but without a tensioner ala "Sheldon Brown". I think a 24/24 super trial-ish and a 32/12 use the same chain length.

mtbr member
    You could go to an auto paint store and have them match the Edge pink, and sell you a pint or quart, and then apply it with a PreVal bottle...

Has anybody ever found a rattle can paint that matches? I doubt it.

illuminaughty
    Quote Originally Posted by abaris View Post
    da'HOOV (I've been meaning to ask, where does that screen name come from?).....
    When I was "stan4bikes" someone mentioned that there was a "sucking" sound in my area implying I was "vacuuming" up all the available bikes off CL and garage sales. I can't remember if it was me or someone else who coined "Hoover"...I just shortened it to "da'HOOV"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey guys, John thanks for the info on the bottom bracket, With yours and bob's blessing I'll give the shimano un 55 a try, Thanks to both of you again, The paint color as I understand it is salmon, (funny I always that was a fish) I have a rattle can of krylon in salmon and it looks real close to the stem, unfortunately for the frame you'll probably have to go to a paint store to have them match it up to get the glossy shine the frame has, The magura hydraulic rim brakes are known to be kinda noisey aren't they or is that just all hydraulic rim brakes in general? I want to track down some tioga factory dh tires in the 24x2.3 size and give them a try on my bikes, Wish they hadn't stop making that size, love that tread pattern, burley tire, Almost 2 a.m. Thanks again John and Bob for all your help and wisdom, This is Scott I may not be fast but I sure am slow Murray signing off

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey guys, So John, Bob, Have either of you guys gone to the mombat? Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scott murray View Post
    Hey guys, So John, Bob, Have either of you guys gone to the mombat? Scott
    Do you mean physically or by web or meta-physically?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Bob, Physically gone to the museum, the pictures on there website of the place, It looks amazing, All those amazingly wicked looking bikes, I'm thinking they should have a nighttime security guard, ME!! Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey Bob, Physically gone to the museum, the pictures on there website of the place, It looks amazing, All those amazingly wicked looking bikes, I'm thinking they should have a nighttime security guard, ME!! Scott
    Unfortunately, i have not been there. Looks like an awesome place to go. I think Mr. Olsen is part of the museum!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey guys, I need a rear brake for one of my edge's, What of the current bmx u brakes that are available would you recommend, I want a strong powerful brake that can lock up the rear wheel, easy to adjust, smooth feel not grabby something that I can run a currently available brake brace with if there is such a beast, Any ideas? Thanks Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'll leave this one for the experts.....John, et. al.
    I think Olsen wrote a mag article once on braking way back when....
    now there are discs.....Brake Therapy Conversion Kit.
    If you look at Olsen's StrangBike number 13, I think you'll see one...but John can verify.
    of coarse, you need a new wheel....
    I'll leave this one for the experts....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Bob,Thanks for the feedback, That would be a nice way to go but thats way to expensive for me, I was thinking more along the lines of a good new u brake (bmx) rather then going with deore xt u brakes or suntour roller cam brakes that are 23 plus year old designs, Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There are some pretty good modern U-Brake designs out there. Even Tektro makes one, with sealed bearing pivots and CNC construction, for 40 bucks or so. There is also the Flybikes CNC U-Brake, which looks cool but seems to have something of a different geometry than you might need, possibly resulting in less braking power. But then I am no expert on BMX braking needs, and most BMX riders I knew never cared about the brakes too much.
    In fact, the old XT U-Brake has something of a following among BMXers, as it is tough and reliable and the return spring makes the brake snap back open quickly, something which was never true of the Suntour versions of the Rollercam.
    And the best upgrade of all is Shimano SLR Plus brake levers, double the rim clearance AND double the braking power because of a special cam inside... And if you need instant, no modulation stops on the rear, you can get KoolStop salmon-colored pads for a song. On the right rims and with the right brakes and levers, they lock the wheel instantly- until they pick up a very thin film of aluminum dust from the surface of the rim, making them work like ordinary pads. In my experience, this happens after about 20 minutes of riding.
    I used them on the rear, and always carried a little eyedropper bottle full of rubbing alcohol. When the pads got a little glazed and stopped being instant stoppers, I would practice more rolling moves, then hop off, open the brake and clean the pad and rims of dust (the pads pick up the aluminum dust and then leave it back on the rim), connect the brake and start hopping again.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks uphiller for the info. been checking out dans comp, lots of u brakes. One of my son's is really into bmx, used to work at calabasas in santa claria I think it was and he said all the guys there ranted and raved over the fly bikes u brake, ( I would hope so at 75.00 bucks a brake) he also recommened the odyssey evolver 2, You know when I asked him about bmx u brakes and which he thought were the best he said why use brakes, What's up with those bmx guys? Thanks again for the info. Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Boy. The edge is dead....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Bob, Scott here, What do you mean the edge is dead, What's wrong? What happened? Last we talked you where going to get a new sweet ride, nothing wrong I hope,

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Bob, You out there? What's going on? Contact me, Scott

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    no edge

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Opps, i meant to say "the edge THREAD is dead".

Sorry for the delay - been traveling.......

My edge is back in its tricked out 26/24 sweet state.

Bob

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Bob, Good to here from you, sent you a pm but the format is different let me know if you got it, still running singlespeed setups on both my edge's, 26 front 24 rear on one and 30 front and 24 rear on the other, I'll try to get some images of them on the forum for you to see, This is Scott ( I may not be fast but I sure am slow) signing off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey anbody out there in raleigh edge forum land know where I could score some tioga 24x2.30 factory dh tires? Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ebay does not have any right now.
    The 24" size is enjoying something of a renaissance among trials riders, mainly street-oriented ones- check out the following link:
    24" Trials Tires
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks uphiller, Been to there site before,I have to say I like the looks of the kenda kinetics, sure wished tioga still made the factory dh in a 24x2.30, sure wish the edge had the room in the stays for 24 inch tires available these days but then thats what exacto knives are for, anyways back in those days a 2.125 was the widest tire there was, Thanks again for the info. Hey Bob you out there, did you get my pm? Anybody out there know what happened to John Olsen? John are you out there we all miss you. Scott

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'd hate to disappoint you but bob isn't going to answer you. It's getting creepy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    IRC Kujo DH in 2.35" was also not bad, but is rare these days. Keep your eyes peeled on eBay for both, you may get lucky.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyButterfly View Post
    I'd hate to disappoint you but bob isn't going to answer you. It's getting creepy.

Really????!!!!!
    I don't don't have a dragon tattoo!

Last edited by abaris; 04-23-2012 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyButterfly View Post
    And Stanley Butterfly, do you own an Edge?

mtbr member
    My old riding buddy Josh Snyder moved to Rochester, NY, and I gave him Strange Bike 12 to restore. Here's a picture:

Oops, I don't know how to post a picture. How do old Edgers post pictures?

gobsmacked Moderator
    My old riding buddy Josh Snyder moved to Rochester, NY, and I gave him Strange Bike 12 to restore. Here's a picture:

Oops, I don't know how to post a picture. How do old Edgers post pictures?
    when you reply to thread, there is a section called Additional Options below the box where you type, attach file, upload images.

mtbr member

Strangebike 12

This bike is being restored (and will be ridden) by Josh Snyder, now of Rochester, NY, formerly of Mount Vernon, WA (hotbed of odd technical bike creation, probably due to something in the water).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-strangebike12.jpg  

mtbr member

Headset woes

By the way, I am trying to restore a 92 Cannondale Beast of the East, and I need to find an affordable 1.25" headset, threaded. Anybody got one laying around? I can buy a new Chris King for only (gulp) $149.95. There are several on Ebay for about that much money. Help!

John Olsen

gobsmacked Moderator
    By the way, I am trying to restore a 92 Cannondale Beast of the East, and I need to find an affordable 1.25" headset, threaded. Anybody got one laying around? I can buy a new Chris King for only (gulp) $149.95. There are several on Ebay for about that much money. Help!

John Olsen
    Hey John, instead of flooding the forum with wanted spam, we encourage people to offer things for trade in the trade thread or get a wanted ad for free through the classifieds. Or, do what most of us have to do and get used stuff through ebay or craigslist.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey John,
    Long time, no post!!!

That is one cool frame. It may not be an Edge but it is an Olsen derivative from the master himself.
    What are the specs?
    Being from the Rochester Area, I'll be looking for the bike on the trails (but not until October since I'm out of town until then).
    Hopefully, your friend has found out about the Victor Mountain bike park.

There are are few others also.

Not much elevation around Rochester though.

I have successfully shortened my edge chain-stays to 14.5 inches with a BB height of 14.5 inches. and of coarse a steeper head angle (~75 degrees) and shorter wheelbase (~38")

It's not as twitchy as I thought it might be.

No pics because I left the bike in Rochester and I won't be back until October since I'm out of town until then.

Keep us Edgers posted on the rebuild!!

mtbr member
    I'll get you in contact with Josh, and you two can get together and have a Twitchfest.

Bad news: He is a marine
    Good news: He whines a lot.

gobsmacked Moderator
    I'll get you in contact with Josh, and you two can get together and have a Twitchfest.

haha! great post.

mtbr member

HAHAHAHAAAAA.

John the next time I am home you will pay for giving out my secrets. LOL
    I use to be lean & mean... Now I'm just an a$$hole!

illuminaughty
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Hey John, instead of flooding the forum with wanted spam, we encourage people to offer things for trade in the trade thread or get a wanted ad for free through the classifieds. Or, do what most of us have to do and get used stuff through ebay or craigslist.
    Really GOB? lighten up a bit John was doing cool stuff with bikes before you were born. Have some respect.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV View Post
    Really GOB? lighten up a bit John was doing cool stuff with bikes before you were born. Have some respect.
    I'm sure he was but I'm just trying to be fair. You can chill out yourself, Stan.

illuminaughty

gosh, I'm sorry.

I guess I insulted GOB with this post. I apologize.

gobsmacked Moderator
    I guess I insulted GOB with this post. I apologize.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Don't feel bad John, I got in trouble for that also. A moderator explained it to me and there is a rhyme and reason.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Umm.....wait a minute......I get confused. I think that's him. Capn' Dondo was the other one. Don Cuerdon? Pink Ibis dude, right?

Anyway, buy the Raleigh!
    Sorry to thread jack for a minute...

Now you have my head spinning, the guy with the Afro and handlebar mustache was "Light Brown" in one of the oldie moto mags, he use to wear and sell "It takes knobby balls to ride motocross" T-shirts!

If ya didn't buy the Raleigh, buy it, if ya did... GREAT!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey John, Glad to have you back,Since you are the reason this forum is even here, It's been way to long since i've checked the forum, anyways it's good to here from you again,

mtbr member
    And I, in turn, am glad to have YOU back, Scott! Happy Edging!

At least our Edges don't have annoying nylon strings that break when you are only half way down the sidewalk, or emit smelly two-stroke fumes. I don't know where that came from; too much coffee this morning?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So John now that you're back, what happens if I remove the seat from my Edge? How do I plug the seat tube hole?

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    With flesh! HA HA HA HA HA!

Not recommended. It hurts too much when you land there... Don't ask me how I know. How about a very light plastic (BMX?) saddle on a cut down seat post instead? The problem is finding a 25.8 (or whatever weird size it is) seatpost to cut down so you still have the stock one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks John, or when trials was ridden not hopped,on bikes with seats, on natural terrain courses and when there was this way cool design in mountain bikes called the mountain trials bike with 26/24 wheels on them, Boy I miss those times but at least I have two edges that I can lower the seats down on and pedal my brains out while not going very fast at all (which makes crashing a little less painful) and enjoy those times again, thanks to you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    With flesh! HA HA HA HA HA!

Not recommended. It hurts too much when you land there... Don't ask me how I know. How about a very light plastic (BMX?) saddle on a cut down seat post instead? The problem is finding a 25.8 (or whatever weird size it is) seatpost to cut down so you still have the stock one.

OUCH!
    So...just how do you know?
    There's gotta be a humorous whimsical story there somewhere!

Oh, oh, oh....memories from the eighties .... Cindy Whitehead winning a NORBA race with no seat......

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    26.4, That's the size of the seatposts on both my edges.

mtbr member
    In the mid 80s, I built a bike with a 26" front wheel, a 20" rear wheel (so I could use sticky trials tires), and no seat. The top tube/seat tube/seat stays came to a rather sharp confluence. Yes, I did hit it once, and it hurt like bejeebers. We called this the Buffalo Bike (small hindquarters, large forward body. It also had a 14.5" bottom bracket height. Strange times...

I remember Cindy Whitehead- she was my hero!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would think an old uni bmx plastic bmx seat and a cut down seatpost or a small super light road bike seat with a cut down post wouldn't weigh that much, Besides I'd need a seat, I have tired old legs syndrome, Wouldn't it be cool if shimano brought back the old beartrap deore xt pedals, I have a pair of those on both my edge's and I agree with john, these were by far the best pedal ever made. How about a vintage class in trials nothing newer 1990 ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    26 inch front wheel, 20 inch rear, that would be interesting looking to say the least, How did it steer? I would think it would have had alot of wheel flop with that big a difference in wheel sizes/ So do you have any pictures you'd like to share with the rest of us of some of your past creations,rides you went on or competitions you were in, maybe some pictures of your edge? and more stories please, I can't tell you how cool it is to have you on this forum.

mtbr member
    Scott, I am still riding those Shimano XT beartrap pedals 3 times a week! They are wonderful, and Shimano should (but will never) make them again. Vintage rolling trials would be wonderful, although my body wouldn't appreciate it (elbow tendons made me stop doing ultra-technical stuff a long time ago). Did you know that the Brits have changed the rules of moto trials so you can't stop and hop anymore? Back to the '80s! Yeah! The 26/20 had no problem with wheel flop- that strictly a function of head angle and fork offset, and the Buffalo had very similar geometry to an edge, maybe a bit steeper and less offset, so even less wheel flop. It was wonderful with that sticky tire- 20" trials tires were the first MTB tires with sticky rubber compounds, taken from motorcycling trials. Really bad in mud, tho, due to the tight tread compound.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    nice find.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just some advice, please. I'm cleaning out the garage and I've got an Edge without too much wear and tear on (still got the rubber whiskers on the original tires) that I'm going to get rid of, but I wanted to ask where the best place to post a for sale notice is. I did motorcycle trials for a lot of years and never could get my oomph going to do it on bicycles. Would prefer to sell to an enthusiast rather than just toss it on the open market.

Best.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Somebody should buy the patent from shimano and start making those pedals again, I love those things, those pedals are to good to just have the patent sit and gather dust. Sounds like the brits have the right idea, What class did you ride in back in the 80's if you had a bike with two different size wheels say 26/24 or 24/20, A vintage rolling trials multi size wheels class, yeah now that would be the ticket, with rim brakes and require a seat. So is there a class nowdays that allows a bike with two different size wheels? The buffalo sounds interesting wish you had pictures, any sites on the net that has pictures of trials from back in the 80's?

mtbr member
    Whoa, ah say, whoa son! Classes? We put on our own events in Washington with no organization, just myself and a phone list. Sometimes, we rode in Puget Sound Trialers motorcycle events (they were very nice to us and let us ride their sections). If we did our own, I usually had 2 or 3 lines (Expert, Intermediate, Novice). There were absolutely no bike classes. You could have run a unicycle or a track bike if you wanted. The rules were the same as m/c trials. At that time, stopping was 5, but we didn't enforce it. Stopping and dabbing, now THAT was a five. Hopping came to us via a rider from Vancouver BC who kicked our butts. At that point, I was having elbow trouble, and retired to just plain old technical mountain bike riding...

mtbr member
    Well, I got e-yelled at the other week when I asked if anybody had a certain sized head set, so I guess you couldn't just mention it here, in the obvious place, the website devoted to that particular bike. I'm just curious how much you might ask for it, and if you have any pictures of it, if that doesn't engage the anti-whatever police?

mtbr member
    Scott, patents aren't a problem- they would long-since be expired, and they usually only work in one country anyway. In fact, I think that there were pretty close copies back in the 80s, before all the Cool Kids rushed off the clipless pedals. It wasn't until North Shore and Freeriding got going in the 90s that anybody bought platform pedals again. Now they have come back in favor, and most stores carry them. If you had tried to find good platform pedals in 1995, quite a different story!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Grass Roots racing, Why is it that always seems to be the best and most fun type of racing, Whatever form of racing it is it seems like once the big sponsers step into the picture then it quits being just fun, to many rules, everyone starts taking everything way to seriously and it becomes just another way for someone to make a buck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So Mnemonic Mike, Can you post some pictures and a price?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well, I don't want to get yelled at; I was just asking where is the best place since I don't want to waste a lot of time just to unload a space-taker-upper. I'll be glad to take it to the best-recommended place.

Oops.... the attempted preview tells me that have to already have 10 or more posts on the forum before I can post pix or links, so I can't even give the URL's to where they are. Hmmmmm... let me think about this.

Anyway, I'm in Durango, Colorado, if that helps.

Mike

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MnemonicMike View Post
    Just some advice, please. I'm cleaning out the garage and I've got an Edge without too much wear and tear on (still got the rubber whiskers on the original tires) that I'm going to get rid of, but I wanted to ask where the best place to post a for sale notice is. I did motorcycle trials for a lot of years and never could get my oomph going to do it on bicycles. Would prefer to sell to an enthusiast rather than just toss it on the open market.

Best.

Mike
    Mike,

The best place to put an ad is the vintage bike classified section here. The ad is 2 bucks and I'll walk you through it if you'd like. Feel free to pm me. We can then start a new thread and everybody in this forum will see it.

Sorry, strangebike, but that wasn't an e yell. I was quite polite and if it offended you, I'm sorry. If you need a headset, feel free to ask for it if you have something for trade in the vintage for trade thread or take out a FREE wanted ad. More info in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Guys need some help here, I don't know gear inches so hear is my question, running a singlespeed setup on my edge, had a 26 tooth chanring in front and a 24 tooth rear cog in back, switched to a 24 tooth in front, what tooth rear cog do I need to run to get my gearing back to the same as it was with the 26 tooth front chainring? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks Bob, So it won't be till october before we can see your new & improved edge, Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks Bob, So it won't be till october before we can see your new & improved edge, Can't wait.
    Actually, I've gotten a wee bit homesick, so I'm heading back for the weekend. I'll see if I can snap a few photos of my pathetic brazing. I truly must warn y'all that the paint don't match. Bob

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    COOL, I can't wait to see it, So what exactly did you do to the frame? Sounds like you gave it full service treatment?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-uploadfromtaptalk1345309770179.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-uploadfromtaptalk1345309791982.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bob!! That looks so cool, Nice job, Man thats really shortened down, I bet it gets crazy traction climbing now, So after you take it for it's first off road trip let us know how it compares to stock,It looks like a ibis trials comp with bigger wheels,
    Last edited by scott murray; 08-25-2012 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So Bob, How do you like it now? How's it handle? Now I want your bike even more then I did before,That looks totally trick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So Bob, How do you like it now? How's it handle? Now I want your bike even more then I did before,That looks totally trick.
    Easy to pull the front wheel up! Easy to nose wheelie! =>easy to face plant if not careful!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looks to me like a prototype for the new 2013 Raleigh the Edge, Improved tire clearance so you can run 2.5 inch wide tires, Solves rear tire issues, Lots of real good 24x2.50 tires out there, Magura rim brakes, Strong powerful brakes, I still love that nashbar, the rise,the bend, everything about that handlebar, Short chainstays for awesome traction, Yes sir that about covers it. I say again, Very nice job BOB, Looks TRICK!!

mtbr member
    Scott, your 26/24 gave you an 1.08 ratio, or a 28.2" gear (front teeth/rear teeth)*26= gear inches.

In order to get a 1.08 ratio with a 24 front, you get as close as you can with a 22 tooth!

Viola. You now owe me a 16 oz. mocha at La Crema Coffee House, La Conner, WA. That is my standard fee.

mtbr member
    You now owe me a 16 oz. mocha at La Crema Coffee House, La Conner, WA. That is my standard fee.
    We might need to have an intervention. Say it out loud with me John.

"Hi my name is John Olsen and I am addicted to mocha's".

mtbr member
    Josh, you are just upset because you are the only one who has ever actually paid up!

mtbr member
    LOL! It was long over due and I was glad to.

So it was bizarre seeing an Edge (Bob's) again after all these years. He said it's not pink it's sssssalmon, ok it was me that said it with the extra flair. His shortened chain stays really give it the wheel base like a Strange Bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks John, You know what I'd really enjoy doing is find a way you, Bob and I could get together for like pizza and beer, We could share stories about how we each got all the various cuts,gashes and bruises on our bodies from past mountain biking adventures. So John what do you think of bob's bobbed bike?
    Last edited by scott murray; 08-22-2012 at 02:37 AM.

mtbr member
    I think it's wonderful! Bob, did you build a jig to hold everything straight, or did you just wing it? TIG or gas/braze?

I probably told you guys about this, but I did a 26" rear conversion to an Edge back in the 90s for a friend named Larry Trigve. It was done for tire availability. It seemed to improve all the geometry (a bit steeper, more BB height). No pics, sadly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I think it's wonderful! Bob, did you build a jig to hold everything straight, or did you just wing it? TIG or gas/braze?
    Hi John!
    Thanks for the nice comment.
    I fillet brazed(although some call it filet brazed). I did not use a jig. I did it almost as I had described to you in an PM a while ago: Put in a solid axle to hold the rear triangle. carefully cut the chainstay section out (~2") but left the chainstay brace intact; butted up against the BB (with a come along tied to a solid front axle in the forks). Lots of eyeballing and filling (and maybe a little hammering and a little heat wrench on the seat stays).

Scott, John,
    Now that I am semi-retired, I am planning on places to go. And two stops will most definitely be Southern California and Washington state. (It may not be until next year and it may take longer than that for an old codger like myself to get in shape.)

Scott,
    Now that you mentioned the Ibis Trials Comp, (Ibis Mountain Trials is it's 26/24 big brother), I am now thinking of slapping on a 24" front wheel and a 20" rear. That would lower the bike 2" and set the BB almost exactly what a Trials Comp is/was.

Josh,
    THanks for the ride. It was nice to get back out and actually ride with someone who doesn't want to go like a train wreck.

Bob

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey John, A dual 26 inch wheeled edge, That would be cool, I always liked the 24 inch back wheel because on the coming down side of a log the back of the bike was less likely to come over on top of you then a 26 inch wheel would, being two inches smaller. Hey Bob, I live about 90 miles north of sacramento and would be honored to go on a nice SLOW log hopping bike ride with you and I can even supply a bike for you to ride (the advantage of owning 2 edges) and besides who needs to be in shape to go for a SLOW log hopping bike ride anyways? I don't, Besides as I mentioned before I suffer from TOLS, Tired old legs sydrome anyways, plus with the gearing on both my bikes we aren't going anywhere fast, Now as for a 24/20 edge that would be a cool little bike,Very cool. So what about going back to a dual 24 inch wheeled edge, It would give you a little more top tube clearance, you'd lose less ground clearance then with a 20 inch rear wheel and you wouldn't have to rebraze rear brake mounts, Do you still have the fork and front wheel you used from before? With the rear end bobbed like it is now that might work real nice. I think it looks pretty trick the way it is now but doing a 24/20 conversion would for sure give you more top tube clearance which is what you want.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Bob, Just thought of something else to consider if you go 24/20 coversion, Your rear derailleur is really going to be hanging down there in back with that small a back wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abaris View Post
    Josh,
    THanks for the ride. It was nice to get back out and actually ride with someone who doesn't want to go like a train wreck.
    Bob
    Thank you Bob, it was nice to meet up with some locals we should do it again when you are in town. I think I will stick with the father/ son tandem rides so I can keep up since I have always been slower.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 27