Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Post Removed
    Last edited by scott murray; 05-16-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Uh oh...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    uh oh is right......what up with that?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey proto 2000, Good looking bike, I don't think the bar is bent, I have that same bar on one of my edge's, looks exactly the same just a strange looking bar but it's comfortable. Nice bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I agree with Scott. I have my original bar and it looks bent but it's not.
    Is your bike Restored or Original and to what extent is it not?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Thanks. Great to know that it was made that way, just looks odd. Mine is all original down to the tires. It's missing the front wheel reflector and the left shift cover and possibly the saddle, all easy parts to find. I do have the rear red reflector on the rack that came with the bike so I just have to move it over to the frame.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Oddly, that textured saddle is OE spec on that bike.

I have a spare shifter cover if you need it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey proto 2000, It's a good looking little bike, Just ride it and enjoy it, it you have any issue's just come to this forum these guy's will help you out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hi richieb, How do the deore xt brakes that you put on your edge work, Doe's the front one work nice and smooth, I have deore lx front cantilever brakes , I think there the style that came right before v brakes, on both my edge's and they both have a pulsating grap to them (hard to explain) the harder you use the brake the more pronounced it is, Both bikes have the stock araya rm 25 rims on them, it feels kind of like the rims have a blip in them but they have been trued and spin smooth, Want model # is your front brake? I'm wondering if it's a leverage thing in the design of the newer canilevers compared to the older ones like the 731's, I'm perplexed and it drives me nuts. I've also found that even with the newer cantilever in front and the deore xt u brake in back the brakes are still nothing to write home about, pictures of both my bike's are in this forum, any thought's ? Thanks Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey guy's our forum is now up to 3 pages long WE ROCK!! Scott

mtbr member
    richieb, I kinda thought it was since the rest of the bike looks untouched. I could use it for sure. I have a spare set but I don't want to cannibalize them for a cover. I'll PM you with contact info. Thanks.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Scott, RM25's are the cause if you pulsing brakes. They have a welded seam that is machined to 1987 accuracy tolerances - they are renowned for brake pulse.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    richieb- Thank you for the feedback, abaris also said it was my rims, I put my wife's cruiser front wheel on my edge just to see after I got abaris's message and that seemed to fix it, Thanks so very much. scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey abaris, don't know if you got my last couple of messages to you but you were right about the rim. Thanks so much for the help you guy's ROCK. Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So, John olsen we havn't heard from you lately are you still out there, You know I was thinking I bet a new 26 front 24 rear wheeled technical trail bike like the edge or the old cannondale's would be REAL popular these day's say with a rigid frame, 13 inch bottom bracket, good powerful v brakes, 15 or 151/2 chainstay length, sloping top tube, short wheelbase, man I'm drooling already, I'd buy one, What do you think? Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So John, Some more thought's on the bike, a single front chainring with a short cage rear derailleur and some gears in the back, seat and chainstays designed to accomadate today's 2.5 and 2.7 inch 24 inch downhill tires so there would be a good choice in tires available, Keep it simple and basic to keep the cost down and so the average person could work on it themselves, A nice wide downhill bar, sealed cartridge bearing hubs ( no maintaince, just pop out the old and pop in the new ones when the time comes) ditto with the bottom bracket, double wall sun rhyno lite rims, get the rights from shimano for the old orginal deore xt pedals and start remaking those, put a pair of those on it, (you are right about those best pedals ever made) I'd buy two.
    Last edited by scott murray; 05-28-2011 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    A Post for you Scott (But it really does not belong here)!
    (However, another Olsen derivative...although 1 generation removed...perhaps a grand-bike????!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-dsc01550-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bob, oh man that is SWEET !! magura hydraulic brakes? You use the middle chainring for a bashring I don't see a front derailluer?Dual 26 inch wheels? Like that bar looks like it works real good, those brakes mount on standard cantilever post's don't they? Man that looks wicked awesome, I can only imagine how fun that must be to take on an all day ride, I'm wiping the drool off my computer screen at this very moment, I'm jealous !!! Nice stable you have there, so which is your favorite I'm guessing the beast? That would be my choice, Man I wish I bought one of those back in the day. VERY VERY NICE !! Thanks for the picture. Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Bob, I've been noticing while looking at images of other beast of the east cannondale's that the rear dropout's on some of them extend way beyond the point where the stays meet and where dropout's are normally located looks like the chainstay length could be about two inches shorter on these bike's where your's are what's up with that? Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Maybe there is a Cannondale "Beast of the East" Thread?
    Maybe Mr Olsen could tell us?
    Maybe we should start a Mr. John Olsen Design and Derivative Thread!!
    Or Maybe this just becomes that????
    What do you all think????

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well hey how about the john olsen cool creations forum, Anyways the edge and the old cannondale's and john all tie in together so I think it' all good, Design and derivative, I like that. Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scott murray View Post
    Well hey how about the john olsen cool creations forum, Anyways the edge and the old cannondale's and john all tie in together so I think it' all good, Design and derivative, I like that. Scott
    Togetherness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-my_two_olsen_bikes_sm.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-387raleighedge.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Very nice, But you know I honestly think I like the look"s of the edge a little more now that I see them up close together, not that I don't think the beast isn't cool looking cause it is, There's just something about the edge, Guess that's why I have two, I've got that picture, copied it off the net. If you go to http:// www. retrobike.co.uk/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=22730 there is an old mountain biking test article on the edge, blew me away when I found it, I used to have that magazine. Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm sure it's the paint.
    however, the Beast easily out performs the Edge, not to say the Edge is bad.

The link you posted doesn't seem to work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Okay, Here is what you do, Go to www.retrobike.co.uk, Click on gallery&archive, Click on gallery 2, Click on manufacturer archive, Click on page 3, Click on raleigh archive, Click on reviews, I just checked it and the article is still there, Havn't been there in a long !!! time, Just took a few minutes to find it again, Man, my brain hurt's now, ENJOY!! Let me know if you find it or not

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey bob, I'm sure the beast doe's outperform the edge, I bet if the chainstay's were a little shorter the beast would be just about spot on at being an ideal techinical trail bike, That is one sweet beast you have there, Let me know if you have any trouble finding that site, I just followed the instruction's I gave you and it took me right to the article, Scott

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    That's funny - those are my scans with Retrobike wordmarks on them.

Never knew they stole over there...

illuminaughty
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb View Post

and did you have permission to scan and post those articles in the first place?

stealing? whatever

mtbr member
    I hereby give authorization for all pictures to be used everywhere.

That is my only authority, and even that is self-granted. So grain of salt, grain of salt.

John Olsen

illuminaughty
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeBike13 View Post
    I hereby give authorization for all pictures to be used everywhere.

That is my only authority, and even that is self-granted. So grain of salt, grain of salt.

John Olsen
    ...they're a petty lot here John. But I'm glad you cleared it up

just 1 more
    Yo Stan, check your PMs
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Stan, I'm confused. At what point was i petty?

Oh well. I'm just bummed they farmed my scans without telling me. It's legal, but ethically questionable.

When I want to post the fruits of someone else's labor, I at least give them the heads up.

But, this is your forum after all, so the rules of your reality, as always, apply.

My mistake.

mtbr member
    Rep power is lagging Stan...

artistic...

it gets worse.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    da'Hoov, not sure who you're calling out as petty but maybe keep the personal attacks out of the forum.

illuminaughty
    Stan, I'm confused. At what point was i petty?

Oh well. I'm just bummed they farmed my scans without telling me. It's legal, but ethically questionable.

When I want to post the fruits of someone else's labor, I at least give them the heads up.

But, this is your forum after all, so the rules of your reality, as always, apply.

My mistake.
    I didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, I just find it funny when people repost pics, scans etc. it seems like someone invariably says "hey, those are my XXXX" . I just think it's petty, nothing more, nothing less.

and "my reality" doesn't even apply to my reality ....whatever and wherever that may be :eek

no mistake made, no need to apologize.

illuminaughty
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyButterfly View Post
    da'Hoov, not sure who you're calling out as petty but maybe keep the personal attacks out of the forum.
    no personal attack was made, just a general observation....but thanx fo your concern...

illuminaughty

rep power?

Quote Originally Posted by proto2000 View Post
    Rep power is lagging Stan...
    wow, my "rep power" whatever the hellllo that is , went from 4 to 0 in one day

edit: just read the announcement on "Rep Power" ....kinda like the voting on American Idol

Comfortably Dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV View Post
    wow, my "rep power" whatever the hellllo that is , went from 4 to 0 in one day

They finally fixed the bug that was causing inaccurate readings.
    They had to replace my metal plate with a plastic one

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mr. John olsen, Are you still out there, In your article techinical trailriding you say to put a longer stem on the edge, how much longer and how will that improve the bikes performance? Thanks Scott

mtbr member
    Tell ya what. When we did the Edge, I was still building bikes with relatively short top tubes based on my first mountain bike, a Mongoos Kos Kruiser BMX bike modified with gears and built up for trail/trials use. My buddy in LA, Ron Murakami, was telling me about bikes with longer top tubes, but I didn't beleive him. When I finally rode a long top tube bike, it really was better! Unfortunately, the Edge was done by then. So I rapidly came to prefer a longer top tube, even for trialsy riding, mainly because you had more room for climbing, went over the bars less coming off of huge logs, and it just fit my 6' frame better. So for me, the cockpit of a stock Edge is too short, but it may not be for you if you are shorter. If you're 6' or taller, you need a longer stem!

Of course, they also put a seat post on it that was 1" too short for me to be able to ride it, but that's another story...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hi John, Thanks for the info, Scott.

mtbr member
    Any time, my friend!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How about another related equipment question? I understand that the tires were irc trials winners on these bikes which I believe are not made anymore. But back then I seem to remember an article/column you wrote in which you priased Specialized Ground Control tires as being the cats meow in mtb tires. I see that both 24 and 26 inch tires are available from the likes of bikepro.com. would these be sufficient to fill the gap for a "period correct" technical trail tire?

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that everything that I wrote in the 80's was wrong. Given that, the IRC Trials Winners were good tires on hard pack and dry logs and rocks, but they filled up horribly in mud. The Ground Control tires cleared mud notably better (if not as well as Storm Controls). For real riding, the GC's would look period AND function well on most rides- I'd go that way!

Schipperkes are cool.
    The guy we hired to install our radon mitigation system, his name is Stan and bought his Edge brand new in Denver and up till 2 weeks ago was still riding on the OEM front tire!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Keep in mind that everything that I wrote in the 80's was wrong. Given that, the IRC Trials Winners were good tires on hard pack and dry logs and rocks, but they filled up horribly in mud. The Ground Control tires cleared mud notably better (if not as well as Storm Controls). For real riding, the GC's would look period AND function well on most rides- I'd go that way!
    Would Storm Controls be better?

mtbr member

storm controls

No, Storm Controls were the ultimate tire for NW muddy trails- they didn't load up, and if you kept the wheel turning you kept moving. For most riding, they had way too little edge and area on the ground. They were perfect Anacortes, WA Winter Tires. Of course, our terrain and geology meant that we could ride in mud without damaging the trails, unlike, say, SoCal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So what would you think is best for the East Coast woods bikes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    No, Storm Controls were the ultimate tire for NW muddy trails- they didn't load up, and if you kept the wheel turning you kept moving. For most riding, they had way too little edge and area on the ground. They were perfect Anacortes, WA Winter Tires. Of course, our terrain and geology meant that we could ride in mud without damaging the trails, unlike, say, SoCal.
    So what would be best for the East Coast woods bikes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    By the way the offer on the DiaComp brakes still stands!
    Raleigh "The Edge"-uploadfromtaptalk1311167925994.jpg

mtbr member
    If you want vintage looks, the Ground Controls would work the best in some mud/some dry. The 24" wheel limits your choices so much- My apologies!

I adopted a friend's Edge to a 26" rear wheel, and it worked great. The wheel/tire fit fine, but I might have had to move one of the bridges (chainstay or seatstay). We also spread the drops to accomodate a 135mm spacing wheel for modern 9-speed. Unfortunately, we did enough brazing that he had to repaint it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Sweet pair of bikes indeed

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hi Bob, Ground controls were around the exact same time farmer john's were, 26x1.95 and 24x1.95, Yes sir, Back then ground controls were the bee's knee's, They still make a ground control, but I'm sure the tread design is different by now, Plus do they still make it in a 24 inch for the back? Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I adopted a friend's Edge to a 26" rear wheel, and it worked great. The wheel/tire fit fine, but I might have had to move one of the bridges (chainstay or seatstay). We also spread the drops to accomodate a 135mm spacing wheel for modern 9-speed. Unfortunately, we did enough brazing that he had to repaint it.
    Does that change the head angle much? and bottom bracket height?

I recently just ran into the 126 vs 135 mm spacing issue....it sucks.

and When you repainted it, did you paint it PINK?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hi Bob, Ground controls were around the exact same time farmer john's were, 26x1.95 and 24x1.95, Yes sir, Back then ground controls were the bee's knee's, They still make a ground control, but I'm sure the tread design is different by now, Plus do they still make it in a 24 inch for the back? Scott
    I have a 24" GroundControl now. However, I bought it like 12 years ago....
    I see a difference in the tread.....so I'm puzzled by what you mean...

So StrangeBike13, which would be better, the ground control or the Farmer John rear...Both are supposedly available in 24"....And now a days with 24" Trials becoming a bigger item, the 24" tire market is opening up... What an idea!!!! Convert a Raleigh Edge to a 24" Trials bike!!!!!!!!! Supreme idea don't ya think?!?!?!? Now what would anyone name that???? (Llama...hehehehehe).....

(images from http://www.bikepro.com and http://www.mombat.org/MOMBAT/PartsForSalePages).

ouch, I think i slipped on a banana peal, fell and hit my head.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-framerjohn.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here is a pic of a Farmer John (26") after a little east coast fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-uploadfromtaptalk1311266861926.jpg  

mtbr member

DiaCompes!

Thank you, Abaris- I'll take you up on that. do you have a private email?

John Olsen

mtbr member
    I never had much luck with the Farmer Johns, but I didn't spend too much time on them. Where I ride, mud is a frequent companion, so any rear tire had to be able to clear mud well. Ground Controls did OK, and the Farmer Johns seemed a bit more "pluggy". I don't know about 24" trials, but 20" trials tires are pretty heavy, almost like little motorcycle tires, with nicely sticky rubber. I loved them for moist rock and logs. I built a 20" tirals bike in about 87, and rode the pants off of it because those tires (michelins) were so much more grippy than any of the plastic mountain bike tires of the day.

And yes, the 26" rear wheel did steepen the head angle about 1 degree, and my buddy painted it an odd flesh tone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thank you, Abaris- I'll take you up on that. do you have a private email?

John Olsen
    Certainly. I will PM you my email address.

EAST COAST BOB

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm converting my edge's over to single speed, I'm using the old freewheel, fourth gear, the chainline is straight in that gear, I shortened the chain down as much as I could, I'm going to take the bike to the shop and have them put in some half links to see if they can dial in the correct chain tension, if not I'm going to go with a chain tensioner mounted off the rear derailleur mount,What kind of chain tensioner do you guys recommend? Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you use a 24 front then a 24 or 20 or a 16 works without a chain tensioner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hi Bob, Thanks for the info. the other bike has a 24 front chainring so that will come in handy, Thanks Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hi Bob, Thanks for the info. the other bike has a 24 front chainring so that will come in handy, Thanks Scott
    If you use a 26 in front then a 26, 22, 18, or 14 works in the rear with no chain tensioner (assuming you have a decent chain that is).

I hope you realize that single speed low enough to do Trials/Technical Trails is a rough ride to get to where you go off road...so I hope your transporting to the trail heads!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I may be slow but I'm sure not fast, Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I may be slow but I'm sure not fast, Scott
    No problemo!
    24/24 will give you a gear made to go not fast of 24 gear inches.

To answer your original question, i road a 32/28 which gives 27 gear inches and i thought that to be too low for a single speed. I could climb almost anything but on the flats i was a spining turtle. So i changed to a 24/16 whichis like 36 gear inches and the flats weren't nearly so bad (mind you, off road east coast woods narrow singletrack) but this old bod had trouble on the hills......too steep a gear for this bag of bones.

Next step for me is to try a 20/16 which should be around 30 inchers.
    So hey, if you think you're not fast, I'm even more not faster.....

Take care....

mtbr member
    I used to run single speeds on my trials bikes for one season because I spent so much time knocking rear deraillers off on the big rocks we have out here, especially in the motorcycle trials sections I used to ride. My Mongoos Kos Kruiser frame had horizontal drops, so I didn't have trouble getting the chain tight but single speeds are a pain. Chain tension gets off, and then you throw the chain. Oh, or the trails organizers throw in a long loop, and then you wish you had your derailler back again. In the end, I went back to deraillers with a gaurd, and never went back. Plus, back then, I was a monster, and could push a 35" gear up anything. THAT'S long gone!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I here that, What happened to the good old days? I'm converting one of my edge's to singlespeed, I'm using the freewheel,picking the gear with the best chainline, 4th gear, shortening my chain,going to use some half links to try and get it as close as I can, (thinking of going to a half link chain) then using a chain tensioner to take up the rest,Looking at what's out there I think I want a non spring loaded one like the rennen, What do you guy's think on chain tensioner's, spring loaded or non spring loaded, I just want to do this once, So John where can we go to see footage of old school trials, back when they pedaled through sections, pictures of the old trials bikes, maybe old articles, I enjoy the old stuff, the new stuff, 20 inch wheels, hopping everywhere, there amazing don't get me wrong, I just liked the old way more, Thanks Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Scott, if you're using a freewheel, there is a great rear freewheel out there with very, very rapid engagement- 72 points, versus 18 or so on a standard freewheel. It's the White Industries Trials freewheel- http://www.whiteind.com/singlespeedg...reewheels.html. Just thought I'd share that.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    A fast engagement would be wonderful! Also, trails is really hard on freewheels, and the multi-tooth jobs are a lot stronger. I used to eat Shimano freewheels for lunch. Shimano sent me an early Hone group once to try out. I broke the (standard, XT-type) cassette freehub pawls on my first ride. I bought another, redid the rear wheel, and broke the new one a week later. I called Shimano and told them they had a problem. They sent be a box of a dozen freehub bodies, and I went through it in 5 months. Now, I was 230 lbs, strong, and loved very steep climbs (Scappoose, Mini-Moab, Post Canyon for you Portlandians), but still- shouldn't they be designing with a bit of margin? Sigh.

I too miss rolling trials, bigtime! As soon as hopping, which I suck at, came in, I knew that my time as local rooster was over! I liked the rolling trials because it's really just distilled difficult trail riding, which is my main love... Sigh (again)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The white industries trials freewheel is only 18T. So that means a 22 or 26 chain ring. That's 30 gear inches or 35 gear inches. If ur like me then the 22 is the better option.

Rolling trials seems to be the old school forrunner to technical trail riding.

Single Speed Technical Trail Riding (SSTTR) is a good way to get in shape fast and hone your bike handling skills at the same time!

Ya got to love it! Go for it Scott!!
    Last edited by abaris; 07-28-2011 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the info. uphiller, Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the info guy's, Hey john How about a custom fit bashplate for the raleigh edge, like an onza, that would be so cool and handy, with like little traction grooves on the bottom to grip on logs, seriously, is there any you know of that would work on an edge? Scott

mtbr member

Skid plates... but wait

There are or were some clamp-on bash plates around. I got a Monty unit and fitted it to my 20" bike, but I had to braze fitting on. Another approach that might work even better is something I haven't seen anybody else do. You get a left side crank from a mountain tandem, which is a drive side crank with pedal threads for the left hand pedal. You install a mid-position, small, rock ring on both right and left cranks, and now you have a rolling skid plate, one that is nice and wide, so that you can sit on top of a log all day while to gather fear concerning the descent off of said log. You just need to find a tandem crank with the same small and middle ring bolt circles.

Snazzy, what? I had this on one bike back in the 80's, and it worked fabu.

And yes, rolling trials in the 80s were basically just the really hard parts of trails, and it's just like riding a technical trail, but with observers and spectators! I miss it. I put such events on from 82 to 87, and then the hoppers had taken over, and I didn't have much interest or skill in hopping...

mtbr member
    Here is a source from a reliable e-shop I use all the time. Others will have them too. Make sure you match your crank lengths! Going to 2 180mm cranks would be good too.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=1628

Tell them Uncle Knobby sent you, and they will charge you slightly more.

mtbr member
    And as for bash plates, check out this very cool shop:

http://trialspads.com/shop/bash-plates.html

They have LOTS of good single speed, trailsy stuff. They may deserve our support!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here is a source from a reliable e-shop I use all the time. Others will have them too. Make sure you match your crank lengths! Going to 2 180mm cranks would be good too.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=1628

Tell them Uncle Knobby sent you, and they will charge you slightly more.
    I don't get why you cant use two of the same with square taper? Is it an offset issue, i.e. slamming into chain stays?

I don't see 180s there. But Im sure other places would have them.

mtbr member
    Bob, you do have to worry about clearance, and you might have to get a different BB. But the main thing is that pedals are right-hand threaded on one side of the bike, and left hand threaded on the other side, so if you ran two right side crank drive arms, you would have to buy two right side pedals, which means you buy two sets of pedals! Tandem arms usually are just drive side arms (right side) but with left side arm pedal threading. If you go this way, make sure that the left side tandem arm DOES have both sets of holes so that you can mount a rock ring to it to match the current drive or right side crank arm, or there's no point in doing it. Tandem arms could provide just the bigger bolt circle, but that's OK as long as syou can get the right size of rock ring for it.

So the issues could be: 1. does the new tandem arm clear my frame? 2. Does the tandem arm have the right bolt circle to allow me to mount the same size rock ring as on my current drive side crank arm? 3. Should I just buy a skid plate for $51?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    But the main thing is that pedals are right-hand threaded on one side of the bike, and left hand threaded on the other side, so if you ran two right side crank drive arms, you would have to buy two right side pedals, which means you..
    ...would have to pedal backwards on the left side to keep the pedal from coming off????

So why was it that only old Chrysler products had left hand thread on the left hand wheel nuts??????

Does it really mater......

I really don't know......

I also used to run my Piranha Pro TC front tire backwards.... but someone told that was the reason I was so slow.....

mtbr member
    No, you have to pedal with your right foot under the pedal. This is very difficult to master if you have a very low saddle.

I think a little blue loctite would solve all problems! And as for Chrysler, I own a Chrysler. Don't even go there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I own one also.............and an Edge............hmmmmmmmmm.................

mtbr member
    The stereo probably works better on the edge, and the transmission is less likely to explode!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey John, A bash ring on both sides that would look so trick, I bet that would work great on logs, So I was looking at the site you mentioned, trialspads.com and I think I found my chain tensioner, the trialtech race fixed tensioner, It's out of stock right now so I'll contact them, see when they will have more, check it out, tell me what you think, Scott

mtbr member
    That seemed like a good tensioner- maybe that's why it's out of stock! Handy website, too. The two bash ring settup worked well for me, but it was a lot of monkey business to set up. Well, more money than monkey, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hi John, Nice website, little bit of everything, I'm going to contact them in the next couple weeks, see if they are going to be getting more, can't beat that price either, You don't by any chance have any pictures of the two bashring settup you had you could possibly show us, Doing logs with that kind of settup would be cool, very clever, Sounded like a lot of work but it sure would be a cool settup to have on a bike, Scott

mtbr member
    That was well back in the pre-digital camera days, and I wasn't much of a photographer, I'm afraid! The two ring trick worked well, especially on logs or wide obstacles, and I'd recommend it. The only thing against it is that it costs some extra money to do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey John!
    I found some UmmaGumma 24x2.5 SWorks tires.
    I know there big (wide) and actually clear the seat stays!
    However, the chainstays are almost exactly the same width as the tire.
    So, do you know of a way to create some clearance in the chainstay department?
    Preferably without heat!

illuminaughty
    Quote Originally Posted by abaris View Post
    Hey John!
    I found some UmmaGumma 24x2.5 SWorks tires.
    I know there big (wide) and actually clear the seat stays!
    However, the chainstays are almost exactly the same width as the tire.
    So, do you know of a way to create some clearance in the chainstay department?
    Preferably without heat!
    take an XActo knife to the offending knobs on the tires.....seriously

mtbr member
    Sell 'em and get some tires that fit!
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV View Post
    take an XActo knife to the offending knobs on the tires.....seriously
    surely you're just kidding....
    I can imagine the headlines now: "Man dies from wounds while cutting off his offending knob..."

Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
    Sell 'em and get some tires that fit!
    So to summarize, you guys think I should either mod the tires or sell the tires and keep the bike...

I'd rather sell the bike or trade (+ money) for an Ibis Mt. Trials (or 1991 E-stay Fisher or E-stay StrangeBike or copy designed/built by J.Olsen)... But
    1) no one seems to want to sell me one of those and
    2) not sure if the tire would fit anyway.

mtbr member
    Widening the chain stays would be a nightmare. You would need heat, or brutal force, and you can't go out too much with the chainstays without hitting the crank arms.

I'd actually recommend the Xacto knife method! If you can get 1/4" clearance by snipping off the edge of the outer lugs, that may be enough. I only vaguely remember those tires, but I think they were pretty good. Maybe worth an hour with a knife!

I've also mounted the tires, inflated them hard, and held the wheel/tire up agaist a power sander!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks to all.
    As always you offer sound advice.
    Exacto it is and I'll take back the hydraulic jack that i was gonna use to push the chainstays wider!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by abaris View Post
    Thanks to all.
    As always you offer sound advice.
    Exacto it is and I'll take back the hydraulic jack that i was gonna use to push the chainstays wider!
    Well I did the exacto thing to the Specialized SWorks Chunder UmmaGumma 25x2.5....Worked...
    Just love these tires...

Thanks d'Hoov and StrangeBike13!!!

mtbr member
    I took photos of the Strange Bikes I've still got in my posession, but I can't figure out how to post therm here. What the hel's a URL?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    click post reply

scroll down to Additional Options

Click Upload images

follow the directions......

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    don't use "POST QUICK REPLY"

mtbr member
    Here are some Strange Bikes (and a cool shot from the Columbia Gorge of the Millenium trail).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh "The Edge"-sb13_2.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-sb13stays.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-sideslp2.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-sb9.jpg  

Raleigh "The Edge"-sb12trolls.jpg  

mtbr member
    thanks, Bob!

gobsmacked Moderator
    haha! I like that sticker. Reminds me of the Fremont troll under the Aurora bridge.

mtbr member

Trolls

Those decals were made for me by Genny Gebhart and Lee Kanning, who lived not a mile from the Fremont Bridge. There must be something in the water there... Or is it the proximity to Ballard?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 27