Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

R&E Montana? for Richieb & others

Here's what I think is an R&E Cycles (Seattle builder of fine bikes) early frame. the only tags on it are an R&E sticker and the Montana decals. Richie and I know that R&E built a Montana (so did KHS) , he has one, a 24x26. This one is a 26x26, fully lugged steel. Made in Japan but thats where Richies was built too. R&E was trying out a "bike in box" model in the 80's.

By the way, it's not mine and my friend won't give it up

Anyone know anything?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stan4bikes; 12-06-2008 at 09:13 PM.
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Thanks Stan.

That's weird...it has absolutely NOTHING in common with my bike except for the decal...

I guess I have a bit more research to do, huh?

rb

mtbr member
    Isn't that a made in Japan sticker on the downtube. Possibly just made to Rodriguez spec's but not by Rodriguez.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Isn't that a made in Japan sticker on the downtube. Possibly just made to Rodriguez spec's but not by Rodriguez.
    exactly...R&E wanted a "mass" market offering (bike in box) and they had it made for them in Japan. Then they discovered the "Montana" name was already being used and the program faded away. From the little we know it lasted about 1 year.
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    It kind of looks like a Stumpjumper knockoff...judging from the build/geometry/parts, likely an 84-85, I would guess..

mtbr member
    Don't remember the Montana, but I do remember the Terra Tech they had someone build for them around 85/86ish low to medium end steel bike. Or maybe I am remembering wrong. I think Rodriguez did that with several bikes. My Rodriguez AL 26 Mtn tandem was actually designed by Rodriguez and built by American.

mtbr member
    here is one on the local CL now (too low end for this crowd so not worried about outing)
    I think that aquaish was the only color offered

Attachment 414394
    Last edited by tductape; 02-29-2012 at 10:58 PM.

bike junkie
    Dec 2007
    I worked for Rodriguez from '88-'92.
    That little sticker on the seat tube is just the shop decal, we put them on all the production bikes we sold. (i.e not designed or built by Rod. ) They went on everything..... Specialized, Diamond Back, Ritchey, Kona, Fisher, Kestral etc.

Rod had no "out of the box bike before" '88. The first asian produced bikes specifically designed by, or spec'd for Rod was the Terra Tech.(edit, I was wrong about this....see following posts) The first two were built in-house in '88 or 89, and all the specs worked out... then produced in Japan, in that blue color. They were tig welded. They later went on to make a 700c Navigator model.

By '91 they had a tig welding machine in the frame shop and were experimenting with that and considering doing production bikes. I think they got going on some possibly under the "Rain City" name.

I'm pretty sure that Montana is just a production bike they were selling back in the mid 80s.
    Last edited by willygoat; 12-07-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by willygoat
    I worked for Rodriguez from '88-'92.

Rod had no "out of the box bike before" '88.
    The first asian produced bikes specifically designed by, or spec'd for Rod was the Terra Tech. The first two were built in-house in '88 or 89, and all the specs worked out... then produced in Japan, in that blue color. They were tig welded. They later went on to make a 700c Navigator model.

I'm pretty sure that Montana is just a production bike they were selling back in the mid 80s.
    So are you saying the following, a quote from John Olsen, isn't true? The timeline would have been after the Olsen designed Raven and before the Olsen designed Cannondale SM500 and Raleigh Edge. ..

."Shortly thereafter,(edit: after the Raven) Angel Rodriguez of R&E cycles asked me to design a mountain bike frame for him, which sounded like fun, so I did one with curved fork blades called the R&E Montagna (Montegna?), with a spanish umlout in there somewhere. There was another company already using the Montagna name, so the R&E project kind of died after the first lot from Taiwan.. "

Just want things to stay straight....thanx

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    I think John was specifically referring to the Trials-type bike that I have with that quote, Stan. In general, in the timeline he is referring to, Olsen went with the 24/26 concept pretty much exclusively, other than your Raven.

As I said earlier, that blue frame sort of looks like a Stumpjumper knockoff from the mid 80's. Maybe R&E were getting samples, or perhaps a Montana sticker made its way onto some random frame...

R&E is still open in the U District. Maybe a fact-finding mission is in order...

-Richard

the new Gilbert Grape
    Neat looking old bike frame.

The name of the bike is "Montaņa" not Montana - you can see the "~" over the "n". It means "Mountain" in Spanish.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Neat looking old bike frame.

The name of the bike is "Montaņa" not Montana - you can see the "~" over the "n". It means "Mountain" in Spanish.
    I know...I just don't know how to add that mark on my computer

bike junkie
    Dec 2007
    Stan.........I definately want " things to stay straight", the 'net is full of mis-information and I sure don't want to lend to that.

I guess I should have thrown a "afaik" in there. I started at R+E in april '88, so I only have the history of the shop before that "as told to me."

They made a big deal out of the Terra Techs being the first project of that kind for r+e. Maybe they were just trying to keep the Olsen project under wraps??... I don't know.

A couple things have me scratching my head though..............1) , apparently Olsen used the word montagna.... but on the pictured bike it's montana. 2) Olsen's quote says the r+e project kinda died after the first lot from taiwan, but the bike above is from japan.

Ritchieb......your 24/26 has the same decal?.....no "g"?..... and japan sticker?
    As for the fact finding mission. R+E has changed owners a few times since then. Dan Towle was the last owner I know of, and he worked there in the '80's, so he might know something, or where records, if there are any, would be kept.
    Another guy who might have information is Dave Levy. He was the frame shop manager when I got to r+e. He was instrumental in design--build--prototype stuff they were doing, so he would have probably known what was going on in the "Olsen period" (whether he was there or not at that time, I don't know.) He left around '91 to start tiCycles (Seattle, Wa) so maybe he can be found through that shop, if he still owns it.

Can someone point me towards the article or source of the Olsen quote. All I could find was from the mombat site, and it's not really in his words or quotes, nor is it as long as the reference by stan. I am interested to find out more about this project.

Also, has anyone ever heard from Angel Rodriguez on any online forums?

thanks
    Last edited by willygoat; 12-07-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    This was a direct copy of an Email to me from John....

words from JOHN OLSEN....

That's actually my Raven on the MOMBAT site, I didn't know they used it but it's pretty cool. I gotta send them an updated pic and have RichieB send a pic of his Montana to add to it.

bike junkie
    Dec 2007

Doh!

I stand corrected, thanks.

Strange that no one ever mentioned anything about J.O. or the bikes, the whole time I worked there.

Still curious about the "g" ....the country of origin........... and how many bikes were produced.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

no problemo

I stand corrected, thanks.

Strange that no one ever mentioned anything about J.O. or the bikes, the whole time I worked there.

Still curious about the "g" ....the country of origin........... and how many bikes were produced.
    Curious stuff always abounds...I don't know how "factual" J.O.'s story is either. Things do seem to change in peoples memories over time . I just gotta go with his firsthand story as told to me.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    It is possible that Mr. Olsen just mis-spelled Montana...

As far as my bike is concerned, check this link out...

http://biketrials.com/intro/history.shtml
    mont1
    Last edited by richieb; 12-08-2008 at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Here is the frameset set up as my grocery getter.

http://home.comcast.net/~DeeVee/Montana.JPG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4bikes
    exactly...R&E wanted a "mass" market offering (bike in box) and they had it made for them in Japan. Then they discovered the "Montana" name was already being used and the program faded away. From the little we know it lasted about 1 year.

Gee those folks are still around aren't they??? Send them an email w/pics.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

great name Steve...

Quote Originally Posted by StansWifeMustHateMe
    ]

but not as much as she hates me

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Stan.........I definately want " things to stay straight", the 'net is full of mis-information and I sure don't want to lend to that.

Can someone point me towards the article or source of the Olsen quote. All I could find was from the mombat site, and it's not really in his words or quotes, nor is it as long as the reference by stan. I am interested to find out more about this project.

Also, has anyone ever heard from Angel Rodriguez on any online forums?

thanks
    Everything I post is as accurate as possible. I gathered the information from email correspondence between John and myself as well as information he has posted on various forums. I also added in information from period magazine articles. Before the web info was posted, I sent it to John who made some corrections and then I posted it. I didn't put any of it in quotes since much of it was hybrid-ized form several sources and wasn't necessarily a direct quote from John.

As always, we are dealing with 20+/- year old memories so nothing will be 100%. Over the years, I have updated/changed stuff on the web site as I get more/better info so it is a living document.

bike junkie
    Dec 2007
    Jeff:
    I did not mean that I thought your post on Mombat was not accurate, only that it seemed to be extracted from a larger body, (given stans earlier post) and I was just looking for that body.

My comment about mis-information on the 'net was in regards to my own incorrect statement, not anything you had written.
    Spend time behind bars

mtbr member
    I picked this poorly advertised bike up on CL for the obvious Klein reason and was hoping that the hite rite mount meant that something good was going on. But its your generic Asian frame built out of Tange Infinity, with a mishmash of unmatched components. I'm calling it an 87 based on the U brake date. Turns out that it has black M730 hubs and a specialized headset, so I was wondering if something else was going on here. The little decal on the left side of the seat tube looks kind of like it says Terra Tech, which led my here. So maybe one of the cheapo R & E frames.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

mtbr member
    color and decal match this TerraTech road bike

Photobucket