mkozaczek

Question about removing Bullseye BB cups

I need to remove a BB from a Wicked frame. I am pretty sure they are pressed in inlieu of a standard Fat Chance BB, so I'm guessing they need to be pressed out.

Does anyone have any recommendation for what tool to use to remove the cups??

mtbr member
    I have that exact same frame (same color, too) and it was total PITA to remove the standard press fit bearings. I used a metal rod and a ball peen hammer. It destroyed the original bearings, but they were shot anyway.

Since it looks like your bearings have a much bigger inner diameter, a headset removal tool may work (as mentioned above). If not, I'd try the biggest/longest size socket I could fit in the bottom bracket.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Interesting... "normal" Bullseye BB cups work with threaded shells and are removed with standard BB wrenches. Either Bullseye or Fat City must have made these for a press-in BB?
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

skeet, skeet, skeet
    I'd go with a headset removal tool as my first choice. If you don't have one or it won't work, then a large screwdriver and hammer, but be gentle.
    Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit
    because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.
    Tacitus

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Is there something wrong with the BB that you want to remove? Looks like a cool set up...always loved the look of Bullseyes on a classic MTB frame.

Steve

Dumpster Diver
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Interesting... "normal" Bullseye BB cups work with threaded shells and are removed with standard BB wrenches. Either Bullseye or Fat City must have made these for a press-in BB?
    Those press-in bearings are found in 1st gen Bullseye American bb's. The bearings were pressed into an aluminum "cup" for standard American size BMX bb shells.
    Stuart

wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

mtbr member
    Looks to me like the cups and bearings have to come out together.

mkozaczek
    So should I press out the cups and then remove the bearings or just try to knock out the bearings leaving the cups in the BB shell??

I think best to remove the whole thing and work it on the bench??

mtbr member
    Those Wickeds (and Kleins of the same era) had press-in bottom brackets. I had the same bike with a Bullseye cranks and BB. A hammer & block of wood was sufficient to install, and a hammer and long flat head screwdriver or similar allows you to tap them back out by passing the screwdriver through from the opposite side, finding the inside edge of the cup, and tapping.
    Show me your Toads. Old Brodies, too.

Dumpster Diver
    Use a headset cup removal tool and if you or any of your local buddies doesn't have one, take it to your lbs and pay the five or ten bucks to have it removed properly. You do know that Bullseye bb's are loose bearings and not cartridge bearings?
    Stuart

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED View Post
    Use a headset cup removal tool and if you or any of your local buddies doesn't have one, take it to your lbs and pay the five or ten bucks to have it removed properly. You do know that Bullseye bb's are loose bearings and not cartridge bearings?
    awwwwww....taking the fun out of it. I was looking forward to reading about it on his blog! bearings rolling around everywhere! Plus another thread: where do I source more Bullseye bearings!?! And finally the Wicked For Sale entry on the blog.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mkozaczek
    I have a headset cup removal tool and it will not fit in there. I'll see about rebuilding it on the bike, maybe I can get the bearings out and regrease without removing.

Thanks for the heads up.

velocipede technician
    I've got a few sets of these, I'll be interested to see how this plays out

(pun intended)
    looking for 20-21" P team

Dumpster Diver
    Quote Originally Posted by mkozaczek View Post
    I have a headset cup removal tool and it will not fit in there. I'll see about rebuilding it on the bike, maybe I can get the bearings out and regrease without removing.
    Right you are. Bullseye's are 22.2mm or roughly 7/8" and headset removal tool is 1".

So round 2: A 1" quill stem will fit right in the bb. Place the wedge and end of the stem in there, tighten and now you can use a wood dowel or something similar the gently pound out the cups. Oh and gently, because those are the bearing races you're making contact with. Chances are if the bearings are shot, so are the races.
    Stuart

mkozaczek
    Right you are. Bullseye's are 22.2mm or roughly 7/8" and headset removal tool is 1".

So round 2: A 1" quill stem will fit right in the bb. Place the wedge and end of the stem in there, tighten and now you can use a wood dowel or something similar the gently pound out the cups. Oh and gently, because those are the bearing races you're making contact with. Chances are if the bearings are shot, so are the races.
    That's interesting. I have some work to do on the car but if I get done early I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dumpster Diver
    I'm interested to hear how it goes and you only have to use the method above to get the first cup out. The second cup will be easy with the whole backside of the cup now exposed.
    Stuart

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    I really hate to help on this one, 'cause I know you're going to repaint that frame while you have it out..........

but I'm a big fan of this method of removal:

Slide Hammers - Pullers and Separators - Grainger Industrial Supply

Steve

mkozaczek
    I need to get a slide hammer.

Don't worry Steve, this one is staying just as it is. Just needs a some TLC, it was ridden hard and put away wet, plus the previous owner had a really weird setup.

XT thumbies mounted under the bar and swapped sides (rear on left and front on right) The Magura brake levers were swapped from L to R as well, very odd.

It came with some home made bent pipe version of a Scott LF2 bar wrapped in about three miles of electrical job, total hack job.

It's an 87/88 Wicked BTW.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mkozaczek View Post
    XT thumbies mounted under the bar and swapped sides (rear on left and front on right) The Magura brake levers were swapped from L to R as well, very odd.
    Not that odd. the moto guys seem to like it.

mkozaczek
    So, I was able to remove the cups/bearings without any problems.

So these are sort of hybrid sealed bearings, the bearings are captive between the inner and outer races, I suppose the could be pressed out through the little cutouts in the inner side of the bearing. The bearing is sealed using a sort of plastic impregnated cloth, almost like kevlar or something. I will try to make some new seals before reinstalling them.

Pictures to follow.

mkozaczek
    Looks like there might be a suitable alternative to rebuilding Bullseye bearings

Bullseye Shim Conversion For Bottom Brackets

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Do a search here about that shop. There's been some discussion about it.

mtbr member
    Email Christian at Bullseye (travelallways@aol.com) and tell him you need a set of shims. They should have some laying around sine their modern BBs use them. They're cheaper and better quality than the Desparado shims.

mtbr member
    This guy has the replacement bearings, maybe ask him.

Fat City Cycles / Fat Chance products