Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Q re maintenance for 1991 Fat Chance Wicked running 80's -90's parts

I'm based in Bay Area. Wondering if folks might have some advice.

I own a 1991 Wicked Fat Chance, fully rigid, made in MA, that I bought new (when I lived in Oregon way back when). It's got some custom features and is running some old components (roller cam mounts in back for WTB Speedmaster; my favorite gigantic Shimano friction shifters from the the 80's, etc). In any event, it's been in the shed for way too long, and my old crew is regrouping soon to reride our favorite Oregon singletracks and we decided to break out our old retro rigid bikes for the event. Which brings me to my question:

Maintenance: Anyone have advice on finding a shop in the Bay Area (ideally near Palo Alto) that can do end-to-end maintenance on old-school bikes running old school parts? I'm worried about the wrong mechanic not knowing what to do with 20 year old stuff. The whole bike is completely operational -- it's just been in the shed and off the trails for too long and I'd like to get it 100% dialed in so I don't have any bad experiences on the trail.

I am probably going to need some minor rust work and perhaps paint job as well, so advice welcome on that front too. (My old Kangaroo frame pack rubbed the part of the downtube bare).

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I thought I'd ask anyway in case anyone else has done the same recently.

FWIW, this bike got back-burnered when I went to a Santa Cruz Blur in 2003. But I have to say I have never loved the Blur like the Wicked -- not even close. I think it's time to dance with the one that brung me.

Thanks all.

He be a moose too.
    You're overthinking it. Most things haven't changed that much. Even if there are some quirks, the bike is only 20 years old. If the young mechanic isn't sure of something, the 40 year old shop keeper was probably into bikes when he was 20. If you need period correct parts, they are readily available through various channels.

Getting rust taken care of is highly advised. Search this forum for more. As far as getting new paint, what you will be hearing most here is, unless the paint is totally destroyed, keep what you have, it's called "patina". If you are keeping a 20 year old bike, keep it as it was, it's part of the appeal.

If you do repaint, think of the original and even decals are available. Also, post pictures of the bike, the unwashed masses here like pictures since many of us don't raed wel.
    Last edited by pinguwin; 05-28-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, Pinguwin said it. Post some pics and we can help you. Just about any decent mechanic can fix the old rollercams and shifters. They are pretty easy to figure out.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedPhatChance View Post
    I'm based in Bay Area. Wondering if folks might have some advice.

Maintenance: Anyone have advice on finding a shop in the Bay Area (ideally near Palo Alto) that can do end-to-end maintenance on old-school bikes running old school parts? I'm worried about the wrong mechanic not knowing what to do with 20 year old stuff. The whole bike is completely operational -- it's just been in the shed and off the trails for too long and I'd like to get it 100% dialed in so I don't have any bad experiences on the trail.

Thanks all.

Mikes Bikes in Palo Alto, ask for Hollister.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Stokeless Asshat
    Tell him Rumphy sent you

......................then duck and cover.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Thanks all, this is very helpful. Bike is in good shape, has been ridden hard (like it was meant to be), but I'm not worried about bringing it back to life. Parked since 2003, everything is still operational -- I simply want to avoid major breakdowns out on the trail due to long-term storage. A few photos attached below as requested.

Regarding the question of "to repaint or not to repaint," can anyone explain my options other than repainting? I thought that repainting was simply a fact of life for steel frames, every 10-20yrs. See photos below which include the big rust spot on the downtube to show this may be more than a simple touch-up? Again, advice appreciated here.

As for requests for photos and more info, I have included pix here.

A bit more about the bike:

Wicked Fat Chance, Black, Made in Massachusettes
    -Took delivery 1991 (i think?) but serial number suggests a 1990 build.
    -Factory-standard geometry, 19" frame ("Large?"). Only custom touch was roller-cam brake mounts on rear, built to order.
    -All components selected by me, occasional replacements for wear/tear. Objective was bomb-proof durability, not weight, as you can see. Not is all contemporary with 1991 (e.g., the shifters). Many components are now obsolete, but are still fully functioning and can be serviced today. Incomplete component list as follows:

-Shifters: Shimano SL-M700 "Deer Head" Deore XT friction shifters (circa 1986)
    -Chris King headset
    -Bullseye Hubs (lots of spokes! 36, I believe)
    -Front Rim: Wolber AT26?
    -Back Rim: Mavic M261
    -Brake Levers: Avid
    -Front Brake: Avid Vbrake
    -Rear Brake: WTB Speedmaster Rollercam (+WTB stabilizer plate), sealed-bearing rollers, zirc fittings for post lube.
    -Cranks: Cooks Brothers Racing 175mm
    -Front derailleur: Deore XT
    -Rear derailleur: Suntour XC Pro
    -Onza Bar Ends

Why the big shifters? They were discontinued before I started riding in 1988, but after destroying a few shifters that year on the trail, I raided my local bike shops for the Deerheads and ever since have loved their sturdiness and simplicity.

A few photos attached. Again, feedback appreciated on the rust/paint issue.

mtbr member
    Trying again with photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Q re maintenance for 1991 Fat Chance Wicked running 80's -90's parts-wicked-full.jpg  

Q re maintenance for 1991 Fat Chance Wicked running 80's -90's parts-downtube-rust-detail.jpg  

Q re maintenance for 1991 Fat Chance Wicked running 80's -90's parts-shifter-detail.jpg  

Q re maintenance for 1991 Fat Chance Wicked running 80's -90's parts-wtb-speedmaster-rollercam.jpg  

Q re maintenance for 1991 Fat Chance Wicked running 80's -90's parts-chris-king-headset.jpg  

mtbr member
    photos pt 2 of 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Q re maintenance for 1991 Fat Chance Wicked running 80's -90's parts-made-mass.jpg  

Q re maintenance for 1991 Fat Chance Wicked running 80's -90's parts-cockpit.jpg  

Q re maintenance for 1991 Fat Chance Wicked running 80's -90's parts-bullseye-hub.jpg  

Q re maintenance for 1991 Fat Chance Wicked running 80's -90's parts-brake-cam-detail.jpg  

Q re maintenance for 1991 Fat Chance Wicked running 80's -90's parts-cooks-bros-cranks.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Great Bike! Great that you are getting it back on the trail.

If you need small parts (replacement steel washers and springs) for the rollercam, Charlie can likely still supply them. He helped me. I've sent you his contact info. He's a wonderful guy.

artistic...
    It looks great!
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

Certified Bike Junkie
    Nice one. I love seeing old well used bikes with an eclectic mix of parts where you can tell things were updated and replaced along the way to fit the owner's personal preference.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

velocipede technician
    Thanks all, this is very helpful. Bike is in good shape, has been ridden hard (like it was meant to be), but I'm not worried about bringing it back to life. Parked since 2003, everything is still operational -- I simply want to avoid major breakdowns out on the trail due to long-term storage. A few photos attached below as requested..
    this is the perfect time to bring it in for some tuning
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Awesome looking bike, give it a good cleaning! I'd almost be inclined to just sand off the rusty spot and primer it.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    cool bike with an eclectic parts mix. looks to have plenty of life in it, give it the attention it needs and get it back on the trail.

Stokeless Asshat
    Like Natey said. I wouldn't worry about the rust. Sand, primer, ride.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    this is the perfect time to bring it in for some tuning
    It won't even be the only bike there with WTB Cam brakes.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Thanks again everyone! I could not be more fired up. Updates:

-I connected with Hollister over at Mikes Bikes, been a long time since I last saw him upstairs at the old location. Can't wait to get the Wicked dialed in and hit the trails. My buddy is doing the same with his 1987 (88?) Fischer Montara.

-Regarding the rust: I am indeed going to forgo the repaint and instead I intend to simply sand, primer, ride.

-And thank you Rumphy for referral back to Mike's. While there I did see the other WTB cam: nice coincidence, and it was on a badass rig too.

VRC Illuminati
    -And thank you Rumpfy for referral back to Mike's. While there I did see the other WTB cam: nice coincidence, and it was on a badass rig too.
    Owner of that bike is a fcuking bada$$ as well.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Post pics when it's back from the shop, OK?
    D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Dave View Post
    Post pics when it's back from the shop, OK?
    D
    Affirmative: will do.

VRC Illuminati
    Have Hollister post pics of the two cammy bikes at the shop.
    -eric-

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    gnar!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Have Hollister post pics of the two cammy bikes at the shop.
    Is it true Hollister is Chris Chance?
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Is it true Hollister is Chris Chance?
    They have similar large foreheads...so there's a good chance!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    How about the healing hands part?
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast