mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Project 1984 Ross Mt.Hood

Long typical story short...I grew up in the mid-80 and spent most of those days kicking it in the sun and racing bmx on all chrome diamondback 20". That one got stolen from me in my teen years. Time goes by and a 6'1" guy can no longer mix it up off-road on a 20", so eventually got into MTB. 1989 got me a Specialized Stumpjumper that stayed with me into my college years ~1996 before it got picked off. Needless to say I am a tad bit mentally scarred by both these accounts. Anyway I have one 1997 Haro MTB that's made it 16 years and know I have set off on a project to fix and relive some of my past. So my journey has lead me to this 1984 Ross Mt.Hood. First off 1984 was a good year for me, it's a MTB so it will fit, and its all chrome. Other cool factors are its the closest American made bike I may ever own. Something designed and assembled in America sounds like it may be part of history one day...if not already. I know there are a few of these that will show up on ebay in perfect condition, but I like to adopt old dogs, so you can understand where this is going. I have since revamped my 80's playlists and cleared out some room in the garage to hold cold beer and of coarse a place to work on the bike. I have since taken almost everything down and either hand washed, degreased, polished, painted, and tried to patch some chrome spots. I am not trying to stay 100% all original but I am trying to stay "time period correct" if possible. The seat\tires might be the only items not time period correct. Here are a few shots of what I am working with. I will update in a few weeks.

So far.....

Left Not polished Right Polished
    Last edited by melan47; 06-04-2013 at 10:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Very nice....! What did you clean the frame with? It looks clean!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakoGT View Post
    Very nice....! What did you clean the frame with? It looks clean!
    Mix of meguiars gold class carwash, water, and fine steel wool pad. I am going to go over it with mothers polish once I get everything else in working condition.

mtbr member
    Nice! I have a soft spot for mid-80's Ross's (Rosses? Ross'?), they all look like they were made for giants, I hardly ever see small ones. I can't tell from the 'after' pic, but if you still have pits on the frame, I highly recommend aluminum foil and pepsi/coke, it cleaned the rust off a set of Schwinn Sidewinder forks that I have in impressive fashion.

Also, I have a set of Ross tires from this same year (I think) Ross Mt. St. Helens-I have no clue what to do with them, and they are in similar 'survivor' condition as your bike, but they hold air (still have the wheelset from that bike, tires are on it) and would be happy to send them (and what likely are the original tubes) along for the cost of postage. I'll try to snap a pic and post it up.
    Looking for a TNT Titanium front hub....

mtbr member
    Very cool! I need to find/make a frame strap like that for my '84 Raleigh!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun700 View Post
    Nice! I have a soft spot for mid-80's Ross's (Rosses? Ross'?), they all look like they were made for giants, I hardly ever see small ones. I can't tell from the 'after' pic, but if you still have pits on the frame, I highly recommend aluminum foil and pepsi/coke, it cleaned the rust off a set of Schwinn Sidewinder forks that I have in impressive fashion.

Also, I have a set of Ross tires from this same year (I think) Ross Mt. St. Helens-I have no clue what to do with them, and they are in similar 'survivor' condition as your bike, but they hold air (still have the wheelset from that bike, tires are on it) and would be happy to send them (and what likely are the original tubes) along for the cost of postage. I'll try to snap a pic and post it up.
    Man that would be great. The rear spokes are not in as good of condition as the front and to have the vintage tires would be nice too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Updated pictures...I am just about done. I have a wobble in the front tire I would like to get out and I would like to replace the rear spokes with a fresh chrome set. Everything is coming out just fine.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    That cleaned up wicked good. Nice work :-)