Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pre-Schwinn Yeti Arc Restoration [help]

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Yetifan 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to replace the Judy SLs on my old Yeti Arc with a rigid fork. The bike has a 1 1/4 inch head tube.

First, if any one knows of high end (Yeti, Accutrax, etc) rigid forks for sale, please let me know.

If I can't find anything better, I am going to use some chrome unicrown forks that I rescued from a junked Fisher CR-7. The problem with these forks is that the dropouts are tight, meaning that expect that I need to file them to get a wheel in. Has anyone noticed that these dropouts are tight when using, for example King or Hugi hubs?

Any recommendations or comments greatly appreciated.

Keep the knobby side down.

B/P

[Edit]

I added a picture, though it shows that I am going more for a retro look than any idea of period authenticity. I took most of the original parts off in an effort to make the bike less flashy. Consequently I have an extra pair of CK/Mavic Sup wheels, Ringle seatpost, Ti skewers, CBR race cranks, carbon fibre bar ends, etc.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
find a quality bike shop

some shops(like the one i work for,i know shameless plug) have the fixtures to align/straighten a fork,and most all shops have dropout alignment tools.this is most likely the culprit of the hubs fitting "tight".

#4 ·
The opening on the dropouts seem to be smaller than the axel of the hubs that I wan't to use. I wonder if they got damaged in shipping. If it is just alignment, I would buy the tools myself.

On the question of Schwinn, does that mean that Yeti is independent? I thought all the independent companies had gone.

#5 ·
bushpig said:
On the question of Schwinn, does that mean that Yeti is independent? I thought all the independent companies had gone.
I believe that Yeti is currently employee owned. Schwinn owned them for only a few years ('95-'99 maybe?), and then sold the company off in the late 90's to some sporting goods company that did a marginally better job than Schiwnn had. Within the last few years Yeti changed hands again, and I'm pretty sure that several of the employees bought the compnay.

There are still a few independent companies around, but they are getting scarce.

#6 ·
bushpig said:
The opening on the dropouts seem to be smaller than the axel of the hubs that I wan't to use. I wonder if they got damaged in shipping. If it is just alignment, I would buy the tools myself.

then by all means file it.get a small round file and just remove a little dropout materiel at a time.dont forget you can allways take more off but you cant put some back.

#7 ·
Schwinn never really owned them. Scott USA bought schwinn, and yeti... then sold schwinn to GT and sold Yeti to another investment group. But while both were operating under the Scott banner, there was technology sharing which is how the Mert Lawhill rear ends ended up on Yeti's and Schwinns at the same time. Mert was licensing them to both, but when GT bought schwinn, it didn't come with the license rights. So the 4/6/8-banger and the Rocket-88s were dropped from the lineup.

#11 ·
I tried to scan all the brochure pages in, and it was a big pain in the ass.

it should be pretty easy to date your bike.

Tell me the frame number for starters, are the stays straight (or looped to miss your heels) its got a 1 1/4 head tube.

email me, and I'll get your brochure page scanned in (I have them all), I also have permission to scan them.

Andrew

#15 ·
something makes me thing its an old one.

I am guessing its never had paint done? If not then I'd say its an early one, maybe 92-93. I've only seen one other in a single colour.

I also saw it has A196 under one of the Yeti decals on the downtube, I don't know what that means, but the frame number would be A**** mine is A0850 and thats a 93.

Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.