Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Post your Spooky pics!

Hi, just want to see how many people own a spooky. I can proudly say I own two, a Pitboss and Metalhead, love them both equally so i won't offend either one I'll post some pics soon of mine when i get my camera back. Really would like to see some nice Darksides and Junebugs, i think my next bike will be a Darkside, but can't find any of them anywhere. Enough of my rambling, post your spooky bike pics!!

Sadly, I no longer own it. But loved it when I did.

mtbr member
    Nice! The metalhead frames always looked coolest in black. Mines baby poo brown, but i love it none the less. Keep posting your pics everyone!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ooh, I still lust after a L / XL Dark Side

mtbr member
    Check this one out, can't tell exactly what size, looks big. I emailed him about it, thinking i could get the frame cheap, but he still wants $800. I really wasnt digging the white frame either.

Does anyone know if the Darkside frames were made in a smaller size? Anyone know some more history on these frames, or what colors they were painted?

Lets see some more pictures we can drool over!!

mtbr member
    a link to what i'm talking about might help... i r smart... http://providence.craigslist.org/bik/225326690.html

mtbr member

96 darkside

I own a 96 Darkside, its an 18" frame. I love the bike.

It's built up with XTR V-Brakes, XT rear hub, tiogra straight pull 1x front hub to a 217 rim, cooks cranks, XC Pro thumb shifters and 8 speed XT rear.

What happened to the brothers who ran it?

-Joe

I got the edge that'll never dull.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by BottomFeeder
    Check this one out, can't tell exactly what size, looks big. I emailed him about it, thinking i could get the frame cheap, but he still wants $800. I really wasnt digging the white frame either.

Does anyone know if the Darkside frames were made in a smaller size? Anyone know some more history on these frames, or what colors they were painted?

Lets see some more pictures we can drool over!!

eyeballing the pic i would say 19in w/ 23.something top tube. anyone 6ft?

Man, IMHO he wants way too much for that. Its got LX on it for chrisssake.

mtbr member
    I had the pleasure of going up to the Danburry CT factory and buying mine, meeting the guys and even Frank the welder.

The frames are made out of Eastom Custom Elite tubing, made by Frank the Welder. The stickers wear out like you can't imagine. they ride great though.

-Joe

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook
    Man, IMHO he wants way too much for that. Its got LX on it for chrisssake.
    As cool as the frame is, he'd be lucky to get 1/2 the asking price (1/3 would probably be more reasonable).

mtbr member
    I know, that's real steep. I got my never ridden, completly mint pitboss frame for $500 when i called from our shop to another. Which was a pretty good deal. Anyone know what the sizes ran on the Darkside frames? Maybe they are all that big because i've honestly never seen a medium-ish or small one. I could get some pics of my two bikes, but the metalhead doesn't have the front wheel one as i sent it back for Chris King warranty service, so ill take some pictures when i get the wheel back this week. The weather is pretty crappy here, so the pics will probablly be in my cramped garage.

Keep the pics coming!!!

velocipede technician

dang i hope this works....

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rumpfy; 11-30-2006 at 07:01 AM.
    looking for 20-21" P team

velocipede technician

non drive and hanging

Last edited by Rumpfy; 11-30-2006 at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member
    that's one sweet paint job man! Reminds me of my van's checkerboard shoes. Cool stuff!!!

mtbr member
    Check out the custom emrbroidered hat i had made. it really came out nice. My friend makes custom print shirts and hats and stuff, so i had him make me some cool shirts and the sweet hat. It's funny when people read it and you hear them say "What's faster than your mom??". Good stuff, keep posting pics!!!

Front of the hat

Back/bottom of the hat

mtbr member
    Just found this cool pic of a bandwagon frame. Anyone know what the difference is between the bandwagon and a metalhead frame? That sure looks the close to the same as my metalhead frame. And to make it more confusing, which one was the junebug frame??

velocipede technician
    Just found this cool pic of a bandwagon frame. Anyone know what the difference is between the bandwagon and a metalhead frame? That sure looks the close to the same as my metalhead frame. And to make it more confusing, which one was the junebug frame??

iirc they were both cheaper versions of the other frames.
    junebug = cheaper darkside , bandwagon = cheaper metalhead , the pitboss was an overbuilt darkside(for clydesdales).

Ride Everything
    "A poison-free mind puts fear in the man without even raising your fist."

Less yappin, more Brappin

baby blue pit boss

gimme two days and I will post pics of my baby blue Pit Boss.

I had one new back in 2000, sold it (for some stupid reason), regretted selling it for 6 years, then found another one exactly the same on ebay and bought it on the spot. my lovely spooky is back.

my friend has an older white Project-X frame, but it was never built up. I think we have it among friends up in Seattle being built up as a sidecar racer.

pics to come...

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffss
    gimme two days and I will post pics of my baby blue Pit Boss.
    pics to come...

Two days!? WTF mate?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    I had a choice when I bought my john deere green pitboss frame to get a blue one. Almost wish i got the blue, those always looked really sweet!! Can't wait to see some pics!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Two days!? WTF mate?
    I am having my pictures painted...

Im staying at my parents house tonight, no laptop with me

pic will come, dont worry, i like Spooky.

If I have a pic of my old Spooky shirts I will post them. My "The Mothership" shirt is the best.

mtbr member
    Front of the hat

Back/bottom of the hat

That's sweet! I had that tshirt, and the shirt with the ace of spades with a fist with an X in it. I also still have the xspookyx sweatshirt with "posion free" on the back.

-Joe

mtbr member
    I am having my pictures painted...

Im staying at my parents house tonight, no laptop with me

pic will come, dont worry, i like Spooky.

If I have a pic of my old Spooky shirts I will post them. My "The Mothership" shirt is the best.
    Anyway i could get you to scan the shirts too? Or maybe even just big pics of the shirts or something.I want to get a bunch of new shirts to wear around the shop i work at, but only have one of the original ones, and it's pretty stretched and wrecked. My friend works for a t-shirt place that I can get some done there.

yea, ok i be home tonight.

i think all i got is pics of the original baby blue frame i had. i can gets some better ones of the "new" baby blue bike. i have good pics of the project x and my friends small black pitboss that he had breifly.

i will have to dig out the t-shirts or find the photos. i know i kept the spooky t-shirts or at least took a pic of it. i wore the snot out of them because they were such rad shirts.
    -ride with your friends
    -the mothership

the last time i saw a Spooky tent at a race was Big Bear Norba in 2000? I wish i had bought more clothes from them instead of having money to eat

i really really like this thread

My friend works for a t-shirt place that I can get some done there.
    if i can get some good pics, i will buy some shirts too.

Wink my friends Pit Boss

mtbr member
    :tears: wearing a spooky t-shirt right now and staring at the rear triangle of one of my Spooky 'cross frames.

What Happened to Chris and Kevin?

After finally turning a profit (and owing money to every vendor in the industry) they closed up shop. Kevin ( the taller more irish looking one) left to be a marketing exec at Rockstar Video games (Rockstar was a silent partner in Spooky for the last year of their existence) Kevin quit that after a few months to work with his dad at the title company.

Chris has been running a skateshop/park and genreally spending time with the wife, ferret and kids.

Spookys I still have
    2 broken Darksides
    my mom's Junebug (she rules)
    btw the Junebugs were EXACTLY the same as Darksides, except they used a replaceable droput from Nova. They were supposed to be made of ELAN but never were, and they filled orders with Program tubing. A big money looser.
    A metalhead (retired to the FTW museum)
    2 Pitbosses (17" blue and one of my custom sized 19" ones in polished)
    the 19" is my current 29/26 ss woods bike
    2 Supertouch cross frames (54 and 57, I couldn't decide on fit)
    A custom 'cross frame- Boralyn tubing, darkside dropouts etc... (the Boralyn stuff cracked pretty quickly, may not have been properly cured... The first frame I ever designed)
    '97 Project X (cracked and in the FTW museum)

Over the last 2 years Frank has collected all the Spooky's. He is starting now on the Yeti's he worked on.

mtbr member

if i can get some good pics, i will buy some shirts too.

Please guys, don't sell replica T-Shirts. Kevin still owns and protects the name... If you are going to get shirts made, please make them only for your personal consumption....

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    Please guys, don't sell replica T-Shirts. Kevin still owns and protects the name... If you are going to get shirts made, please make them only for your personal consumption....
    Any chance of getting some legit shirt repro's from the man himself?

mtbr member
    Don't worry, i'm only making a few for myself. I have lots of respect for my spooky's, and everyone who had anything to do with the bike company. The only other thing I would get made is replacment stickers for my frames down the road, because original decals are impossible to find in sets. I'll try and get some pics of my two bikes tonight. Man, last night we got almost 2' of snow overnight. And of course the snow plow people at my apt. don't do anything until 11am, so i have to uncover my garage from waist high snow drifts. Big fun.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

These are the Spooky two shirts I own. Hands down my favorite shirts I own too.

First one is the back of one i had made. Came out pretty cool, it took me forever to draw out the chainring logos, but somehow i got them to look pretty good.

The second picture if of the back of my old spooky shirt. The font on the original one is a little bolder, but the one i made looks pretty close.

The third pic if the front of my original spooky shirt, pretty beat up and stretched out unfortunatly. I never even noticed the little straightedge symbol on one of the guys hands at the top until now. Pretty cool stuff. Says "Punk rock owned and operated since 1994" if you can't read it, it's all wearing off. If you click the picture, it gets a little bigger to see the little X on the guys hand.

Totally understandable.

They really were my favorite shirts to wear. They either had something utterly silly or a really cool message.

Wink

This is really bad pic of the Pit Boss I picked up off of ebay last spring. It was covered in ski equipment stickers , had some wacky component and cockpit setup, and looked in pretty bad shape. when i asked the shipped to have a bike shop box it up to ship from Philly, they instead taped a few boxes together and with no padding the shoved everything in. when it arrived at my doorstep the pedals were sticking out the sides of the box and the frame was a little scratched up, as well as some of the components.

I cleaned the stickers off, put on some better parts, squishy seat and hi rise bars and gave it to my dad to ride around on. I have a spare seatpost and saddle, as well as stem and lo-rise bar to swap out when I want to ride it.

I even found a full frame sticker kit for one of the Spooky BMX frames? I might have the frame repainted baby blue because its chipped in parts and the red stickers dont look as good as the mirrored stickers i have spares of.

pics of the bike now and the sticker kit to follow, as well as some other goodies...

mtbr member
    That drives me nuts! Why do people slap stickers all over sweet bikes!? Sweet bike though!!

Bonking ... not feelin' well

That drives me nuts! Why do people slap stickers all over sweet bikes!? Sweet bike though!!
    It also had a gnarly old tire zip tied to the chainstay and also to the downtube by the BB??? Like a bashguard on the DT of a mod trials bike? WTF?

It took a lot of time and acetone to take of many of the low quality stickers slapped all over the frame. Paperbacked and lots of glue

this is the box it came in...

The pedals were still on!!!

I will post up pics of the cleaned up bike soon, I promise!

Another view of my friends medium dark kelly green Pit Boss. He didnt ride it for very long as it was a little too short and had too aggressive of a geometry for him. His shoes hit the front wheel a lot, but I always thought it was a pretty sick bike. He had it the same time I had my first baby blue PB. West Coast Spooky love!

Last edited by geoffss; 12-03-2006 at 10:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Hahahahaha, nice. We give out free bike boxes to people if they ask at the shop here, and so do most of the other local bike shops. We get them from newly built bikes, and toss out the boxes they came in. Did you get any money back from the buy you bought it from or anything? Or left him some nasty feedback?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not much to contribute as far as bike photos, but I really like all that have been posted so far. I was fortunate to ride for Spooky in 1997. Lived about 45 minutes away from the factory, so I was able to spend some time with Chris, Kevin and FTW. I had one of the early Project X frames for DH, and they gave me a Darkside for DS (Metalhead wasn't developed yet).

All I have left are some decals and promo items. They sent me to Big Bear, CA for the inaugural Winter X-Games, and used a picture in the catalog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanker Kranker
    Not much to contribute as far as bike photos, but I really like all that have been posted so far. I was fortunate to ride for Spooky in 1997. Lived about 45 minutes away from the factory, so I was able to spend some time with Chris, Kevin and FTW. I had one of the early Project X frames for DH, and they gave me a Darkside for DS (Metalhead wasn't developed yet).

All I have left are some decals and promo items. They sent me to Big Bear, CA for the inaugural Winter X-Games, and used a picture in the catalog.

Lee Jones!? It's Mickey the XC grom. All grown up (as much as bicycles allow).

Wink The scanner works now...

Frame stickers (for the Spooky BMX frame???) bought on ebay last year. They will be going on my Pit Boss after I have it repainted. Yummy

GRRRR Imageshack wont let me upload the image with the prismatic Spooky stickers.....give it a day

mtbr member

Good job! My Spookys

Hi, finally got around to taking pictures of my two Spookys. Check the decal of my name on the seatstay of my Pitboss. Yep, you wish you had that. Check out "bikenames.com" they make custom decals for your bike, for really cheap. Extremely nice and helpful people there, they actually said if I ever needed new Spooky decals, I could have them made with them with the same fonts and stuff, and they're rub on decals not just stickers. Anyways, here's my babies. Click them, they get bigger on the Imageshack website.

Also just finished building a new Mavic EX721 CD 36h rim to a Hadley 12mm bolt on axle. I really like this hub, almost as nice as my other fun bolt king hub, and seems to have killer engagement like the king too. I'm really impressed on how nice the hub is to work on also, glad I didn't have to drop another $150 to buy a tool kit to overhaul it like the king hub too.

Pitboss

Pitboss 2

Pitboss Seatstay

Metalhead

Metalhead/Hadley View

Metalhead Front/Side

Metalhead/Fox Talas 36

Anyways, thanks for looking, would love to get some comments on my beloved bikes!

mtbr member
    Oh, almost forgot. When i replaced the stickers on my metalhead, i scanned the original black rectangle ones. I kept them really big and hig resolution, maybe someone else could use them to get some made, as these might be a bit harder to find.

Direct link is ---> http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/1354/1008bw2cw1.jpg

Good job!

Hi, finally got around to taking pictures of my two Spookys.

Pitboss

Was that a stock color? Siiick!

Nice to see these old steeds upgraded to new components

mtbr member
    yep, it came kind of a john deere green. I'm such a dork, i painted the little indicators on my xtr shift pods matching green instead of orange

mtbr member
    C'mon, let's see some more pics!!! Don't let this thread die...Don't let it die...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If Kevin is still protecting the name, he should make right by all of the owners with broken frames bearing that name that should have been covered under warranty. Not to mention all the folks looking for replacement parts. The Spooky design was great (and can easily be replicated) and the aesthetic/image was cool, but their business sense and loyalty to customers seemed pretty beat.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Wasn't the FS'er called the Project X? A buddy of mine had one, anyone else? I'll bug him, see if he has pics. That thing was sick.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Wink yup

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Wasn't the FS'er called the Project X? A buddy of mine had one, anyone else? I'll bug him, see if he has pics. That thing was sick.
    I have a couple pics to upload of a Project X my friend has.

It is currently in Seattle being ressurected. It had a non-standard rear brake mount, and a wacky rear spacing, plus the Risse shock was a POS.

But man, it is a burly looking bike, I cant wait to ride it again

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast