Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Post your Spooky pics!

Hi, just want to see how many people own a spooky. I can proudly say I own two, a Pitboss and Metalhead, love them both equally so i won't offend either one I'll post some pics soon of mine when i get my camera back. Really would like to see some nice Darksides and Junebugs, i think my next bike will be a Darkside, but can't find any of them anywhere. Enough of my rambling, post your spooky bike pics!!

Sadly, I no longer own it. But loved it when I did.

mtbr member
    Nice! The metalhead frames always looked coolest in black. Mines baby poo brown, but i love it none the less. Keep posting your pics everyone!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ooh, I still lust after a L / XL Dark Side

mtbr member
    Check this one out, can't tell exactly what size, looks big. I emailed him about it, thinking i could get the frame cheap, but he still wants $800. I really wasnt digging the white frame either.

Does anyone know if the Darkside frames were made in a smaller size? Anyone know some more history on these frames, or what colors they were painted?

Lets see some more pictures we can drool over!!

mtbr member
    a link to what i'm talking about might help... i r smart... http://providence.craigslist.org/bik/225326690.html

mtbr member

96 darkside

I own a 96 Darkside, its an 18" frame. I love the bike.

It's built up with XTR V-Brakes, XT rear hub, tiogra straight pull 1x front hub to a 217 rim, cooks cranks, XC Pro thumb shifters and 8 speed XT rear.

What happened to the brothers who ran it?

-Joe

I got the edge that'll never dull.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by BottomFeeder
    Check this one out, can't tell exactly what size, looks big. I emailed him about it, thinking i could get the frame cheap, but he still wants $800. I really wasnt digging the white frame either.

Does anyone know if the Darkside frames were made in a smaller size? Anyone know some more history on these frames, or what colors they were painted?

Lets see some more pictures we can drool over!!

eyeballing the pic i would say 19in w/ 23.something top tube. anyone 6ft?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Man, IMHO he wants way too much for that. Its got LX on it for chrisssake.

mtbr member
    I had the pleasure of going up to the Danburry CT factory and buying mine, meeting the guys and even Frank the welder.

The frames are made out of Eastom Custom Elite tubing, made by Frank the Welder. The stickers wear out like you can't imagine. they ride great though.

-Joe

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook
    Man, IMHO he wants way too much for that. Its got LX on it for chrisssake.
    As cool as the frame is, he'd be lucky to get 1/2 the asking price (1/3 would probably be more reasonable).

mtbr member
    I know, that's real steep. I got my never ridden, completly mint pitboss frame for $500 when i called from our shop to another. Which was a pretty good deal. Anyone know what the sizes ran on the Darkside frames? Maybe they are all that big because i've honestly never seen a medium-ish or small one. I could get some pics of my two bikes, but the metalhead doesn't have the front wheel one as i sent it back for Chris King warranty service, so ill take some pictures when i get the wheel back this week. The weather is pretty crappy here, so the pics will probablly be in my cramped garage.

Keep the pics coming!!!

velocipede technician

dang i hope this works....

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rumpfy; 11-30-2006 at 08:01 AM.
    looking for 20-21" P team

velocipede technician

non drive and hanging

Last edited by Rumpfy; 11-30-2006 at 08:02 AM.

mtbr member
    that's one sweet paint job man! Reminds me of my van's checkerboard shoes. Cool stuff!!!

mtbr member
    Check out the custom emrbroidered hat i had made. it really came out nice. My friend makes custom print shirts and hats and stuff, so i had him make me some cool shirts and the sweet hat. It's funny when people read it and you hear them say "What's faster than your mom??". Good stuff, keep posting pics!!!

Front of the hat

Back/bottom of the hat

mtbr member
    Just found this cool pic of a bandwagon frame. Anyone know what the difference is between the bandwagon and a metalhead frame? That sure looks the close to the same as my metalhead frame. And to make it more confusing, which one was the junebug frame??

velocipede technician
    Just found this cool pic of a bandwagon frame. Anyone know what the difference is between the bandwagon and a metalhead frame? That sure looks the close to the same as my metalhead frame. And to make it more confusing, which one was the junebug frame??

iirc they were both cheaper versions of the other frames.
    junebug = cheaper darkside , bandwagon = cheaper metalhead , the pitboss was an overbuilt darkside(for clydesdales).

Ride Everything
    "A poison-free mind puts fear in the man without even raising your fist."

Less yappin, more Brappin

baby blue pit boss

gimme two days and I will post pics of my baby blue Pit Boss.

I had one new back in 2000, sold it (for some stupid reason), regretted selling it for 6 years, then found another one exactly the same on ebay and bought it on the spot. my lovely spooky is back.

my friend has an older white Project-X frame, but it was never built up. I think we have it among friends up in Seattle being built up as a sidecar racer.

pics to come...

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffss
    gimme two days and I will post pics of my baby blue Pit Boss.
    pics to come...

Two days!? WTF mate?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    I had a choice when I bought my john deere green pitboss frame to get a blue one. Almost wish i got the blue, those always looked really sweet!! Can't wait to see some pics!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Two days!? WTF mate?
    I am having my pictures painted...

Im staying at my parents house tonight, no laptop with me

pic will come, dont worry, i like Spooky.

If I have a pic of my old Spooky shirts I will post them. My "The Mothership" shirt is the best.

mtbr member
    Front of the hat

Back/bottom of the hat

That's sweet! I had that tshirt, and the shirt with the ace of spades with a fist with an X in it. I also still have the xspookyx sweatshirt with "posion free" on the back.

-Joe

mtbr member
    I am having my pictures painted...

Im staying at my parents house tonight, no laptop with me

pic will come, dont worry, i like Spooky.

If I have a pic of my old Spooky shirts I will post them. My "The Mothership" shirt is the best.
    Anyway i could get you to scan the shirts too? Or maybe even just big pics of the shirts or something.I want to get a bunch of new shirts to wear around the shop i work at, but only have one of the original ones, and it's pretty stretched and wrecked. My friend works for a t-shirt place that I can get some done there.

yea, ok i be home tonight.

i think all i got is pics of the original baby blue frame i had. i can gets some better ones of the "new" baby blue bike. i have good pics of the project x and my friends small black pitboss that he had breifly.

i will have to dig out the t-shirts or find the photos. i know i kept the spooky t-shirts or at least took a pic of it. i wore the snot out of them because they were such rad shirts.
    -ride with your friends
    -the mothership

the last time i saw a Spooky tent at a race was Big Bear Norba in 2000? I wish i had bought more clothes from them instead of having money to eat

i really really like this thread

My friend works for a t-shirt place that I can get some done there.
    if i can get some good pics, i will buy some shirts too.

Wink my friends Pit Boss

mtbr member
    :tears: wearing a spooky t-shirt right now and staring at the rear triangle of one of my Spooky 'cross frames.

What Happened to Chris and Kevin?

After finally turning a profit (and owing money to every vendor in the industry) they closed up shop. Kevin ( the taller more irish looking one) left to be a marketing exec at Rockstar Video games (Rockstar was a silent partner in Spooky for the last year of their existence) Kevin quit that after a few months to work with his dad at the title company.

Chris has been running a skateshop/park and genreally spending time with the wife, ferret and kids.

Spookys I still have
    2 broken Darksides
    my mom's Junebug (she rules)
    btw the Junebugs were EXACTLY the same as Darksides, except they used a replaceable droput from Nova. They were supposed to be made of ELAN but never were, and they filled orders with Program tubing. A big money looser.
    A metalhead (retired to the FTW museum)
    2 Pitbosses (17" blue and one of my custom sized 19" ones in polished)
    the 19" is my current 29/26 ss woods bike
    2 Supertouch cross frames (54 and 57, I couldn't decide on fit)
    A custom 'cross frame- Boralyn tubing, darkside dropouts etc... (the Boralyn stuff cracked pretty quickly, may not have been properly cured... The first frame I ever designed)
    '97 Project X (cracked and in the FTW museum)

Over the last 2 years Frank has collected all the Spooky's. He is starting now on the Yeti's he worked on.

mtbr member

if i can get some good pics, i will buy some shirts too.

Please guys, don't sell replica T-Shirts. Kevin still owns and protects the name... If you are going to get shirts made, please make them only for your personal consumption....

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    Please guys, don't sell replica T-Shirts. Kevin still owns and protects the name... If you are going to get shirts made, please make them only for your personal consumption....
    Any chance of getting some legit shirt repro's from the man himself?

mtbr member
    Don't worry, i'm only making a few for myself. I have lots of respect for my spooky's, and everyone who had anything to do with the bike company. The only other thing I would get made is replacment stickers for my frames down the road, because original decals are impossible to find in sets. I'll try and get some pics of my two bikes tonight. Man, last night we got almost 2' of snow overnight. And of course the snow plow people at my apt. don't do anything until 11am, so i have to uncover my garage from waist high snow drifts. Big fun.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

These are the Spooky two shirts I own. Hands down my favorite shirts I own too.

First one is the back of one i had made. Came out pretty cool, it took me forever to draw out the chainring logos, but somehow i got them to look pretty good.

The second picture if of the back of my old spooky shirt. The font on the original one is a little bolder, but the one i made looks pretty close.

The third pic if the front of my original spooky shirt, pretty beat up and stretched out unfortunatly. I never even noticed the little straightedge symbol on one of the guys hands at the top until now. Pretty cool stuff. Says "Punk rock owned and operated since 1994" if you can't read it, it's all wearing off. If you click the picture, it gets a little bigger to see the little X on the guys hand.

Totally understandable.

They really were my favorite shirts to wear. They either had something utterly silly or a really cool message.

Wink

This is really bad pic of the Pit Boss I picked up off of ebay last spring. It was covered in ski equipment stickers , had some wacky component and cockpit setup, and looked in pretty bad shape. when i asked the shipped to have a bike shop box it up to ship from Philly, they instead taped a few boxes together and with no padding the shoved everything in. when it arrived at my doorstep the pedals were sticking out the sides of the box and the frame was a little scratched up, as well as some of the components.

I cleaned the stickers off, put on some better parts, squishy seat and hi rise bars and gave it to my dad to ride around on. I have a spare seatpost and saddle, as well as stem and lo-rise bar to swap out when I want to ride it.

I even found a full frame sticker kit for one of the Spooky BMX frames? I might have the frame repainted baby blue because its chipped in parts and the red stickers dont look as good as the mirrored stickers i have spares of.

pics of the bike now and the sticker kit to follow, as well as some other goodies...

mtbr member
    That drives me nuts! Why do people slap stickers all over sweet bikes!? Sweet bike though!!

Bonking ... not feelin' well

That drives me nuts! Why do people slap stickers all over sweet bikes!? Sweet bike though!!
    It also had a gnarly old tire zip tied to the chainstay and also to the downtube by the BB??? Like a bashguard on the DT of a mod trials bike? WTF?

It took a lot of time and acetone to take of many of the low quality stickers slapped all over the frame. Paperbacked and lots of glue

this is the box it came in...

The pedals were still on!!!

I will post up pics of the cleaned up bike soon, I promise!

Another view of my friends medium dark kelly green Pit Boss. He didnt ride it for very long as it was a little too short and had too aggressive of a geometry for him. His shoes hit the front wheel a lot, but I always thought it was a pretty sick bike. He had it the same time I had my first baby blue PB. West Coast Spooky love!

Last edited by geoffss; 12-03-2006 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Hahahahaha, nice. We give out free bike boxes to people if they ask at the shop here, and so do most of the other local bike shops. We get them from newly built bikes, and toss out the boxes they came in. Did you get any money back from the buy you bought it from or anything? Or left him some nasty feedback?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not much to contribute as far as bike photos, but I really like all that have been posted so far. I was fortunate to ride for Spooky in 1997. Lived about 45 minutes away from the factory, so I was able to spend some time with Chris, Kevin and FTW. I had one of the early Project X frames for DH, and they gave me a Darkside for DS (Metalhead wasn't developed yet).

All I have left are some decals and promo items. They sent me to Big Bear, CA for the inaugural Winter X-Games, and used a picture in the catalog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanker Kranker
    Not much to contribute as far as bike photos, but I really like all that have been posted so far. I was fortunate to ride for Spooky in 1997. Lived about 45 minutes away from the factory, so I was able to spend some time with Chris, Kevin and FTW. I had one of the early Project X frames for DH, and they gave me a Darkside for DS (Metalhead wasn't developed yet).

All I have left are some decals and promo items. They sent me to Big Bear, CA for the inaugural Winter X-Games, and used a picture in the catalog.

Lee Jones!? It's Mickey the XC grom. All grown up (as much as bicycles allow).

Wink The scanner works now...

Frame stickers (for the Spooky BMX frame???) bought on ebay last year. They will be going on my Pit Boss after I have it repainted. Yummy

GRRRR Imageshack wont let me upload the image with the prismatic Spooky stickers.....give it a day

mtbr member

Good job! My Spookys

Hi, finally got around to taking pictures of my two Spookys. Check the decal of my name on the seatstay of my Pitboss. Yep, you wish you had that. Check out "bikenames.com" they make custom decals for your bike, for really cheap. Extremely nice and helpful people there, they actually said if I ever needed new Spooky decals, I could have them made with them with the same fonts and stuff, and they're rub on decals not just stickers. Anyways, here's my babies. Click them, they get bigger on the Imageshack website.

Also just finished building a new Mavic EX721 CD 36h rim to a Hadley 12mm bolt on axle. I really like this hub, almost as nice as my other fun bolt king hub, and seems to have killer engagement like the king too. I'm really impressed on how nice the hub is to work on also, glad I didn't have to drop another $150 to buy a tool kit to overhaul it like the king hub too.

Pitboss

Pitboss 2

Pitboss Seatstay

Metalhead

Metalhead/Hadley View

Metalhead Front/Side

Metalhead/Fox Talas 36

Anyways, thanks for looking, would love to get some comments on my beloved bikes!

mtbr member
    Oh, almost forgot. When i replaced the stickers on my metalhead, i scanned the original black rectangle ones. I kept them really big and hig resolution, maybe someone else could use them to get some made, as these might be a bit harder to find.

Direct link is ---> http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/1354/1008bw2cw1.jpg

Good job!

Hi, finally got around to taking pictures of my two Spookys.

Pitboss

Was that a stock color? Siiick!

Nice to see these old steeds upgraded to new components

mtbr member
    yep, it came kind of a john deere green. I'm such a dork, i painted the little indicators on my xtr shift pods matching green instead of orange

mtbr member
    C'mon, let's see some more pics!!! Don't let this thread die...Don't let it die...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If Kevin is still protecting the name, he should make right by all of the owners with broken frames bearing that name that should have been covered under warranty. Not to mention all the folks looking for replacement parts. The Spooky design was great (and can easily be replicated) and the aesthetic/image was cool, but their business sense and loyalty to customers seemed pretty beat.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Wasn't the FS'er called the Project X? A buddy of mine had one, anyone else? I'll bug him, see if he has pics. That thing was sick.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Wink yup

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Wasn't the FS'er called the Project X? A buddy of mine had one, anyone else? I'll bug him, see if he has pics. That thing was sick.
    I have a couple pics to upload of a Project X my friend has.

It is currently in Seattle being ressurected. It had a non-standard rear brake mount, and a wacky rear spacing, plus the Risse shock was a POS.

But man, it is a burly looking bike, I cant wait to ride it again

VRC Illuminati
    Another view of my friends medium dark kelly green Pit Boss. He didnt ride it for very long as it was a little too short and had too aggressive of a geometry for him. His shoes hit the front wheel a lot, but I always thought it was a pretty sick bike. He had it the same time I had my first baby blue PB. West Coast Spooky love!
    Hahahah!

Does DH know you're posting dorky pictures of him?

What year was that at SOC?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Hahahah!

Does DH know you're posting dorky pictures of him?

What year was that at SOC?

Well DH, or The Lama, never surfs MTBR so I am sure he wont see this

I think it was the '01 SOC? Damian did the short course, with a high fever. My other friends did trials and one did DH and DS. He didnt want to camp out at Laguna Seca with my friends, so we shacked up at a bed-and-breakfast over in Carmel Valley. It was very romantic

He hated this Spooky, but he bought one because I had one, I think? It was the coolest dark green color. I wish I had a job back then because I would have bought it from him.

He remembers calling them to order a derailer hanger, and all he could hear over the phone was super loud East Coast Hardcore untill someone turned it down.

Wink Project X

Circa 2001

more to come...

Original Pit Boss

Circa 2001 before it was sold...

along side my Yeti Road Project (still have that bike)

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    Why did they called the brand "spooky" what is it that is so horrorful about the bikes they built?
    Federation Against 29:ers
    In memory of nino - godfather of weight weeniesm, banned but not forgotten, sept 2010.

mtbr member
    I think the name Spooky came from one of the owners who had that name from college. Not sure if it's right, but I remember someone telling me that.

mtbr member
    I think the name Spooky came from one of the owners who had that name from college. Not sure if it's right, but I remember someone telling me that.
    Kevin is friends with Paul Miller, aka DJ Spooky. Plus it is short and looks funny on t-shirts.

ps. Found a big stack of prismatic vinyl downtube stickers last night!

mtbr member
    So Suspect... willing to sell two sets of them? I've been trying to get a new set for my pitboss forever, and i can't get a set made with the cool prismatic stuff on it. Could use a new set for my metalhead too, the non-driveside sticker has a big black plasticy scratch on it.

mtbr member

spooky pron

Pics:

please excuse the pedals.

mtbr member
    Nice darkside xjoex. Never seen a spooky with downtube stickers like that, what year is it? Sweet looking ride none the less!!

mtbr member
    Thanks!

I picked it up from the danbury factory in June of 96. They stickered it up while we ate fake chicken from the chinese place around the corner!

-Joe

And the spooky sweatshirt

mtbr member
    Nice! The shirt looks like its in pretty good shape. I know I wore out my spooky shirts in less than a year for wearing them around the shop so much. Cool stuff, never seen a sweatshirt like that before!

Wink

I rode my Pit-Boss today (and x-mas day).

Just thought I would let you know...

(gratuitous bump)

mtbr member
    I can't bring myself to sell any of this stuff, as it is pretty much all that is left of my youth....

If anyone needs better pictures of any of the decals let me know, I stepped into the 21st centurty with a digi cam

mtbr member
    Nice darkside xjoex. Never seen a spooky with downtube stickers like that, what year is it? Sweet looking ride none the less!!
    Joes bike is from '95 or pre-june '96 Looks nice.

THose stickers sucked. I remember the MN national in '97 I had those stickers on my bike, put them on before the race. By the end of the race they were completely white. That race was epic!

artistic...
    sell everything, suspect. set yourself free.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Oh please let me scan the darkside sticker and the head tube sticker.... please. I'll give them back, I swear....

-Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjoex
    Oh please let me scan the darkside sticker and the head tube sticker.... please. I'll give them back, I swear....

-Joe
    You wan the old font darkside sticker right?
    I don't have a head tube sticker from the era of your other stuff though...
    send me your address to info@fast-times-training.com and i'll send em out.

mtbr member
    Circa 2001

more to come...
    Do you have a '97 X? That would be the missing one! FTW and I have the almost all accounted for..

mtbr member
    Joes bike is from '95 or pre-june '96 Looks nice.

THose stickers sucked. I remember the MN national in '97 I had those stickers on my bike, put them on before the race. By the end of the race they were completely white. That race was epic!
    Oh yeah those stickers are soft like butta.

You are on with your dates, I purchased it July 4th, 1996.

-Joe

mtbr member
    maybe you can't tell...

but I am rocking a male pattern baldness haircut in this picture.

Floyd Landis shaved my head in 1997 after I lost a bet relating to a skid contest in West Virgina...

Working on a kinda complete Spooky bikes history for you guys....

mtbr member

I just found some floppy discs containing the old Spooky website. After going over to 3 colleges trying to find a machine that would read them unearthed, like the Rosetta Stone, are the prototypes for my idea of "cool" in the bike industry. Pull no punches, and with no further ado, Witness the charged rantings of Sensei Adam Mitchell from the April 2000 news section of www.spookycycles.com....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case you may not have noticed, we are offering complete bike packages via the website. It is an issue that becomes very touchy when discussed with dealers, but is an issue that most other industries hold no qualms about. I'm gonna save the cyber-statistics for the Industry Newspapers. I will give you some Spooky Stats though. We receive anywhere up to 600 hits per day on this site. Now let's be outlandish and say that one third of those hits are for our Graffiti Wall, the rest have been catapulted through some search engine or taxied through someone¹s Links page. The traditional way of reaching your customers was to stuff an envelope with catalog, a sticker then drool on some stamp and hand it off to Oscar the Mail Man. So, for numbers sake, let's say that those "Fresh" hits account for four hundred catalogs that we "Could have" sent out. Monetarily speaking, at $3.73 (Production cost for each catalog), $.80 for shipping, $.90 (Our cost again) for that "Free" sticker, $.05 for the manila envelope, $.15 (Per catalog) to pay young Joey to sit around and fill envelopes, and finally, because Oscar don't like bulk one of us has to deliver the pile to the nearest Post Office (There ain't one in Brewster), roughly $1.50 per package gas and shop time. Let's add all this up...........It' costs Spooky $7.13 cents to send you a "Free" catalog. Back to the Internet thing . That's comes to $2,852 in Spooky dollars getting catalogs to each of those Internet Customers. Saved. Earned. Free Pizza on fridays.

When one of those four hundred potential customers goes to our site, reviews our products, then goes to the Dealer List only to find that the nearest shop would involve a plane ticket they get discouraged and may move on. They could call the factory or Email us, then what? "Go to your favorite shop and have them order info from us?". Then hear from that Dealer, "Why pay fifteen hundred bucks and wait a few weeks, when you can spend half that and get this complete XT bike right now, with glitter paint and all?". Now let's be hypothetical and say that that customer follows through and orders a Spooky through that shop. That Dealer just made $500 off a product that they didn't put any cash outlay on, didn't invest any interest in, didn't sell the customer on, never even stopped at our Interbike booth and will never talk to us again until the next one of their customers goes to our web site or sees an article on us. There are some damn good shops out there today, but unfortunately the majority of them are dangling from someone else's **** and being told what to sell, how to sell and how much they need to sell or they can't sell. Not true? Am I starting to make you boil? Pick up any copy of BRAIN and read. How may Mom and Pop shops are getting eight balled by some 27 year old sales geek in a California office. How many times have you read about Mongeese getting "Thrown Out" of their shop. ********. Just about every shop I go into has them still. They have to. It's what the kids want. Bread and Butter. Name Brand Recognition. The straightest frames in the world. Paul Newman Technology. They sell bikes made in China, owned by a firm that markets tennis balls, car tires, lollipops and women's lingerie. What do you expect? Don't try and hold us to their par, companies like Independent Fab, Intense and Spooky are a different breed of animal and the same demands and obligations can't be expected (They can be laughed at by us though). But yet still, they are. I hear shops complain all day, "Oh we don't stock their bikes beca they sell to Irvine/Direct/Mail Order. Whatever.' I have spent countless days on the road visiting shops, trying to sell our product and I have definitely witnessed a pattern among dealers. The young involved shop owner who is not afraid to market in any direction to expand his market share and customer base, taking chances with new niche markets and staying on top of what kind of customer he doesn't have, is selling big numbers in high margin products. Customers are traveling to visit their shop. They are generating profit from every direction. They are creating their scene. The shops which are run the old fashion way, have no idea what is going on around them, where the trails are and who is spending their paychecks. They're lucky if they get a few shop rats that have a clue and "Allow" them to order some custom stuff for their use and turn around to tell the customers that they are a dealer of those products. They say things in a mundane tone, like "No, we don't have those type of customers" (I like that one) or, "Are customers looking for that kind of bike?", "Where do people use that?", "We stay away from that stuff" , "I see your stuff everywhere, but I wouldn't be able to sell those", "If a customer wants something, I know where to contact you.' . Yup.

It's obvious to everyone that the purchasing trends are changing, shops that are more cutting edge with their approach to marketing and product lines are selling big money stuff. They're not afraid. The Internet is booming and people are making alot of money there. We are not going to be told how to sell our product, who to sell them to and when. We have seen that shops that get involved with us at a level higher than "Uh frame", make money and we will always be pushing customers their way. That's truth. In order for our customer base to grow, bikes need to get out there and if shops won't do it because their too wound up in semantics, then we'll do it ourselves. We ain't gonna get on our knees for some washed up used car sales man that just so happened to land his a** in the bike industry.

"Are you ready for some Rockin Roll?"

We are just about ready to unleash a few new frames on you people, but the photos and minor details come later. Four years ago we unveiled the Metalhead at Interbike. It got laughed at by all but a few. Now, because of the market that we, along with DIRT and a select few Brits have created, hardtail dirt riding is becoming the fastest growing niche in the MTB world. Wrist slaps to the US mags for rejecting the Metalhead reviews because "We wouldn't know what to compare it to.", or "Our customers aren't interested in that." Bollocks. The Metalhead was undoubtedly the pioneer as far as the slalom/playbike goes. Introducing the Spooky Motorhead!! A three to seven inch travel Metalhead, accepting 24" - 26" tires and have room for the 3" wides! Built with the same integrity as the Metalhead but made specifically for the Bicycle Supercross. The first bike of this kind made in the states. Stay tuned to the site for this information. Since we're talking about the Metalhead and the growth in popularity among those styles of bikes, I'll mention how many companies have made direct rip off's of it. Mostly in Europe, because this style of riding has yet to touch down in the states, every company has made a feeble attempt at claiming bragging rights over this style bike. Even one of our comrades over on this side of the pond said in a European mag that the Metalhead was a copy of their Chameleon - A scaley little lizard that changes it's color and attitude to suit what ever's going on around them in order to stay alive. Guess again suckers, the Metalhead was being ridden and was in production four years ago. Were they even making bikes...Oh, sorry...Having bikes made for them four years ago? One of the biggest problems with the Metalhead is it's price. We know it. We resist the temptation that others a forced into, to use lawn furniture tubing for their bikes. We form all our stuff in house from round tubing, and machine our small parts from block to finish. You may not care but we do. They make good money hand over feet having made for them, while we make s*** money making good bikes feet over hand.

This slingshots me into an issue that I feel compelled to talk about, so if you don't like to hear my babble skip this paragraph. That is the issue of price. Cost. Value. Too expensive. It has been an issue since day one. "Hey Spooky, did you ever think about bringing the cost of you frames down?" We hear it every day, all day - as if that person is shedding light on an issue that was overlooked. "I know a way you guys can sell more frames." No you don't. Even our bud Steve Peat asked us on the Graf Wall why our s*** was so pricey. I'm not going to bore anyone with the pricing breakdowns of labor, materials, tooling, space and machinery carrying costs. f***, we could just skip all that and send our napkins to the Taiwanese and just wipe the cob webs off to take photos of our machines for ads. The Metalheads retail price would go from $1100 to $500 overnight. Even if you are not a Metalhead owner, do you want this to happen? The bike would be made from lawn furniture. "I really want a Metalhead, but Spooky are out of their minds for what they're asking. I'll get the soandso for $250." Most of you reading this ride a bike made overseas whether you know it or not. "No man, my bikes made in the states." Wrong. Most bikes with "MADE IN THE USA" decals on them are produced as sub assemblies overseas and sent to a Chinese owned tacking shop in California and taped together by some hombre on a six month vacation from Nogales. No one has a problem spending $2000 on a hardtail Titanium Seven. As they shouldn't, it's a beautiful bike. Are the demands of XC more than those of the DS rider who takes his Azonic frame to the dirt trails on weekdays and BMX races it on Thursdays? No. Would you expect a person who is a serious XC racer to pay $300 on their tricked out frame that they expect to race for a full season and not be concerned of the frame's integrity? No way. In my opinion those frames that are being made for DS, and SuperX should be twice the price of high end XC because the strength demands are twice of that expected XC bike. And if you're gonna whimper about it, pick another sport. I hear this often, "Well at $300 I can just buy another frame when I break this one, that's tough for a $1100 frame." What the f*** kind of train in thought is that? When you over shoot some eight foot doubles at thirty miles and hour, is that bike worth your savings? Think about it. A sheared top tube in your leg and a new rack of dentures ain't worth $300 homeboy....

100% USA & 100% Love: it's the only way we know how to do things. we build bikes because we like them. we don't have a group of suits to answer to. we don't worry about what other manufacturers are doing. we don't need to spend tons of cash on advertising. we don't need a $100,000 team truck and a VIP area for cool people. of course we are a business and we need to make money to survive, but we try to do it for the right reasons. you won't see a spooky with the latest hoopty suspension configuration, what you will see is stuff that is straight forward and designed to serve a specific purpose. we have come a long way in the last 4 years and it is because of all the people who supported us. we can't say thanks! loud enough and no matter what is going on, we will always go out of our way for all of you. we have been punk rock owned and operated from day one and we have and always will try to promote a positive lifestyle and positive attitude. we grew up in a scene where for the most part, people tried to support each other. we would like to see more support between the companies and people who are into bikes because they like bikes, not because they are trying to make a fast buck. support the shops, manufacturers and promoters who are trying to make our sport last, not the ones who will pull out when the cash dries up. Spooky is about supporting your local scene and never forgetting where you roots are. Your scene is what you make it. You don't have to live up to someone else's opinion of what bike you should ride, how you ride it or where you ride it. Some other companies promote our sport as a coolness contest, we just think it's a hell of a good time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where are they now? Spooky Team, Circa '97

Beau Lambert XC Captain --- Runs Rye Airfield, thanks Beau!

Mike Patrick XC ----- Pro XC racer for Fisher, Professional Male Model (really)

Jen Dial XC ---- After becoming one of the top us 'cross chicks disappears into marriage. Still short and demanding most likely though.

Mickey Denoncourt XC-- Thats me!

Bill Henke XC--- Still racing sport! Yeah Bill!

Steven Brown XC--- Farmer is still large and in charge in Tampa

Jack Neeley DH Captain--- Anyone from CT seen Jack lately? He looks like a big bear and likes to go fast.

Lars Tribus DH--- Still Killing everyone

Chris Peck DH--- Retired and working for Cannondale?

Todd Bosch DH--- Keeping pink leathers alive

Eden Jackson DH--- Has disappeared along with her brother, DH needs the Jacksons back.

Mike Hartlove DH--- Runs the MAC Dh series, Racers Edge team and builds the best 4x tracks around

Alex Little DS Captain--- Working Construction?

Joe Carlino DS---- Films for DHproductions

Lance Trappe Trials Captain--- moved onto Volvo-Cannondale, then Planet X, I think he is still with them?

Chris McNutt Trials---- Co-owner of www.Ride-This.com

Scott Pachenham Suspension/Brakes--- "Beaker"- Manages the sales department of a moto shop in RI after getting hooked on moto by lead motoing the Trail 66 series.

mtbr member
    and the history bit...
    Spooky began in 1993 as a tshirt company, selling positive hardcore and straight-edge influenced shirts at races around the east coast.

Kevin Hopkins, his wife at the time Christine, and Kevin's brother Chris Cotroneo, and a kid I never met named Bill were the owners.

They got a lot of s*** from the uptight establishment for their looks, their attitude and their political beliefs, and all the furor garnered enough tshirt sales that they decided to make the jump to having some frames built.

They wanted bikes that were good for the riding where they lived (New England, Southwestern CT specifically). That bike was the Darkside, and it was a little steeper, taller and shorter than most of the 71/73/11.75"/17" "Norba-Geometry" hardtails of the day. Nothing radical, but the geometry felt pretty great.

Being progressive DIY cats, the frame had to be built in the states. Chris Herting (3d) did the first Darkside protos, this was mid 1995 and FTW was operating his own contract fabrication outfit down in Phoenix, AZ. The I think the first run of 25ish frames was mostly sold before they ever made it back to CT, to friends of Chris, Kevin and Christine.
    A few more runs of frames were ordered from AZ, and in '96 the Mothership was added to the bike lineup. This bike used the same geometry and an AMP B3 rear end to get a whopping 85 mil of travel. Christine raced this bike on the Pro DH circuit.
    FTW was looking for a change of scenery in late '96, and demand was going up for Spooky's so the offer was made, and FTW came onboard and moved up to Danbury CT into the Spooky warehouse. The warehouse ruled. 1/5th of it was office space and the other 4/5ths was evenly split between fabrication space and a mini-ramp.
    As demand continued to increase Spooky began hiring on more and more employees, who by and large are still the coolest, brightest people I have ever met. Things turn into a blur from here on out, Christine left the company (and Kevin) and ran off to Europe with Dave Wooten (Tioga Dave), a very shifty marketing guy was hired, who robbed the company blind. A ninja Sales guy named Adam began working there, and scared old ladies with his tatoos. The "industry" still didn't get Spooky, but consumers were beginning to catch on.

A bunch of new guys were hired...
    I think the order was Wendell Robbins, who was the owner of gravity research and one hell of a machinist he was responsible for the yokes on the Metalhead. Jimmy Ponte (Today's Hood bikes honcho) was hired as a toolmaker away from Nuke Proof, where he was building frames.

Super Dave Harrison (aka Spooky Dave) appeared out of nowhere, I think after riding his bike across the country a few times with all his possesions in a Bob Trailer and began an apprenticeship with FTW and Jimmy learning the ins and outs of frame building. Dave is the shop captain at FBM now, so i guess he learned something!

A crazy Czech named Zsolt appeared right after Spooky aquired the remains of the Pro-Flex factory. Zsolt is an electrical wizard and gifted machinist with a penchant for speed metal (of both the Ducati and Musical sort). With the pro-flex spoils the boys set up Metalhead Manufafturing, an outfit that used their motley braintrust to do contract frame building.

Metalhead was turning out over 250 BMX frames a month for Kink, FBM, T1, Schwinn and MCS among others, in the spare time they had when not building Spookys.
    In early '98 Spooky moved into the basement of an old studebaker dealership in Brewster, NY Sales were starting to blow-up in the UK, and Metalhead ripoffs from Planet X flooded the UK market, the greatest form of flattery. Things continued as normal, after FTW's departure sometime in '99, The gang continued building contract bikes and hardtails and FTW built the Motorheads and Project X's on his own, but still under the Spooky name.
    For some reason that i can't quite understand Chris and Kevin decided to walk away fom the company in Januaryish 2000. They had just started to make money, and I don't know if that scared them or what, but with a whimper, Spooky was gone.

_Mickey

Do you have a '97 X? That would be the missing one! FTW and I have the almost all accounted for..
    Does this look familiar???

mtbr member

Joined the Bandwagon

My Bandwagon... Had a Junebug that snapped at the headtube welds. Spooky blamed the break on the tubing and said it wasn't covered under warranty. They agreed to send me a Metalhead for an additional $400. The Metalhead I received was the wrong size, so I sent it back for replacement. They sent this Bandwagon in return then stopped answering phones and pointed spookycles.com to a porn site. I got ****ed by the man twice... The Junebug geometry was perfect for southeast riding. I use to rip on that thing... Too bad those guys didn't mature enough to run the business appropriately. Today the Spooky name would undoubtedly be huge since they were one of the pioneers in dirt jump mtn bike frame design.

Chronic 1st-timer

Project X

Has gone back to its maker...too much bike for me to handle.
    Hopefully sitting proudly in Frank's museum right now.
    Was a pre-99 model. 1 of 4 like this.

mtbr member
    I am thinking about putting a new fork on my 96 darkside. I think it was designed around an 80mm fork.

That said, you think a 100mm fox would throw off the geometry wildly?

-Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lubes- Where in France are you in your signature pic?
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Anyone have the geomerty chart for the darkside. That was the bike I always wanted, never was able to afford it when i was in highschool and collage. I picked up a junebug frame on mtbr in 99. I loved that bike, it could climb hill and clear any log. I had to put it to rest in about a year. In my early days of mtbing my handling skills were (well I was a student and still on my m others insurance plane that was kickass) so i didn;t need handling skill. I crashed bad bent the frame so bad that if you tie a string to it you can use it a a bow and arrow. I selling off some of my fs ss so that i can get a custom frame and i would love to get the darkside geomerty. Thanks to anyone in advance.
    "Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    Lubes- Where in France are you in your signature pic?
    That was in the area just a few miles north of Sancerre.

... and if we just ...

If you look really closely, you will see my Pit-Boss. I rode it at the Sea Otter Vintage ride this year with a host of much older bikes. Was in the remaining 5 who finished the 18mi pre-ride. I still love this bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ive still got my pit-boss in custom battleship grey. My bro was the team Dr. when they had the race teams. He still has his White custom Darkside, and a one off steel road bike .
    My son has been riding the pitboss on the trails in Westchester. Always gets comments.
    We put a new manitou fork on it lst fall and last week set it up with XTR drivetrain.
    It is such a sweek bike, and the frame is strong enough to last a long time. The Darkside was made very light and has an abuse limit.
    Saw Frank at Pedros last year and we showed him the bike.- Got nostalgic
    DD

Single and loving it
    CLEAR!! I'm going to revive this great thread. I have one cracked Darkside and one rarely seen Spooky Underdog BMX bike. The BMX bike is currently going thru a resto for my 7 year old son. New(er) old school parts will grace it's lovely steel tubes. I rode my Darkside for five hard years. It finally gave up the ghost under my 200lb frame after a particular rough day at French Creek PA. I still keep the frame for nostalga. I have a couple of shirts too....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Spooky 2.0

In a bold stroke of good luck for all you people who didn't get one the first time around, you'll be happy to know that the rights to Spooky have migrated into very competent hands. Prepare for the second wave of Spooky. Now it's just a matter of waiting.

mtbr member
    How long will we have to wait?

And how will you keep things close to the original?? I mean won't it just be someone using a popular name???

Tell us more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Another Resurrection

Hi everyone,

UK Spooky owner here. Thought I'd post a pic of my Project-X. To say it's non standard would be a bit of an understatement but I thought you guys might appreciate it:

Best bit is, I thrash it every weekend, and it keeps coming back for more.

Ah yeah, and just to prove it does get ridden...2 weekends ago!

Last edited by eddie_spaghetti; 05-22-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie_spaghetti
    Hi everyone,

UK Spooky owner here. Thought I'd post a pic of my Project-X. To say it's non standard would be a bit of an understatement but I thought you guys might appreciate it:
    Thats the dogs bollocks!!!

mtbr member

I spelled Knievel wrong
    My Metalhead.

What's up with the new Spooky stuff?

mtbr member
    Wow Steve. That is a truly horrific bike! I guess singlespeeds will ruin you life?

What's up with Spooky? Why I restarted the company to piss people off, give eastcoast bike riding deviants a mode of expression, and to make some really, really fun bikes. And as a tax shelter for my ultra-lucrative life as a "professional cycling coach and race promoter".

And well, to make money selling t-shirts.

I can't say I can be as cool with Spooky V.2 as we were back in the '90s. But we will certainly have more fun...

mickey@spookybikes.com

Dork
    I can't say I can be as cool with Spooky V.2 as we were back in the '90s. But we will certainly have more fun...
    Since noone is straight edge anymore?
    "When I quit my 'real' job and went to work at Mountain Bike, my old boss told me I'd just ruined my career. I can't think of a better way to destroy oneself than on a mountain bike." -Dan Koeppel

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Awesome. Did you buy the name from the original owners? Are any of the original guys involved?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    Awesome. Did you buy the name from the original owners? Are any of the original guys involved?
    There was always the intention of me restarting (or taking the reigns) of the company in the back of people's minds. I was raised in the cult as a team rider and shop grommet, and indoctrinated by the very best. We made an agreement, along the lines therof; I provide vegan snacks, and they let me unfurl the old banner. The time was right, so about 2 months ago I began doing the groundwork to fully re-launch Spooky this fall.

There are hell of a lot of people involved on all sorts of levels that were peripheral or central members of the Spooky family. It is a sort of collective effort, of which I am the dictator. I even have a 5 year plan... Eat yer heart out Stalin

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Good luck.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Freakin' awesome

REMEMBER: Spooky Bikes, Faster than your Mom!

Good luck! I'll be keepin' an ear to the ground!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member

Spooky

wau! It would be very nice to see Spooky rise again! I am in Europe and ride a Spooky Pit Boss in green. The bike saw so many trails and places: the alps, scottland, sweden etc.
    Very nice.

I have to take a picture of my Pit Boss. Here is a Picture of a very light Darksite from Germany. I hope the original owner from Germany does not mind that i post the picture!

Soulbrotha
    PS: I would love to see a 29er version of the Pit Boss in Aluminum! That would be soooo supernice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Look at the head angle!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Cool thread!

I once got the opportunity to buy a baby blue Pitboss from the then UK importer Smell the Adrenalin who I also bought my first Intense off. The bike was what I thought to be too big for me, but would have been ideal for me now, I kick myself at least once a month for not buying that frame!

Please bring back the Pitboss and good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What is the advantage to having such a steep head angle like that,is it for slow technical riding.I would of thought you would feel like you are going over the bars whenever the forks compressed......scary!

mtbr member
    The head angle on that Darkside above is 71.5 with the 63mm Sid that the owner has specced on there. Short travel forks and steep head angles work well together, as there is very little variance in head angle as the suspension compresses. You need to realize 10 years ago Judy's came with a sticker that said "long travel" when they were configured for 80mm...
    These days with most folks running 100mm on a pure XC bikes bike designers need to make some alterations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3