The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC

Photobucket Changes

Not sure if any of you have gotten the squeeze from Photobucket yet.....but it's coming.

They recently changed their plans so that anything less than the Level 500 accounts will no longer be able to be used for third party picture hosting. Level 500 is $400 a year!

This is causing some big problems on other forums....lots and lots of pictures in older threads are now gone.

Would suck to see it happen here.

Steve

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Seriously, not a single comment?

If you used photobucket to post pics on this forum they are gone.

Anyone who used this site for reference or just liked to view the old threads is going to be bummed when all they see is the damn photobucket speedometer icon.

This sucks.

Steve

That guy
    Yeah, it sucks. Here's a few threads on the issue:

Photobucket now charging $400 to host your photos.

Photobucket effed up
    American Idle

gobsmacked Moderator
    RIDICULOUS!!! I'm super pissed. Mtbr could do a better job of hosting photos so that we didn't have to use such sites in the first place!

That guy
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    RIDICULOUS!!! I'm super pissed. Mtbr could do a better job of hosting photos so that we didn't have to use such sites in the first place!
    Mtbr is doing a fine job with the image uploader since the resize issue was fixed. The only thing I notice is that images aren't as good quality as the other image hosting sites. I'm waiting till either Google or amazon gets into image hosting before I upload images to a free site that'll be gone in a few years, or won't work here anymore like imgur.
    American Idle

gobsmacked Moderator
    Yeah. I'm not relying on Flickr as who knows what Verizon is going to do with it.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Mtbr is doing a fine job with the image uploader since the resize issue was fixed. The only thing I notice is that images aren't as good quality as the other image hosting sites. I'm waiting till either Google or amazon gets into image hosting before I upload images to a free site that'll be gone in a few years, or won't work here anymore like imgur.
    It's called Google Photos.

And yeah it's sucky, but then photobucket has been on the decline for years, I didn't think they could get worse than a few years ago, then they did... and now this. I used to pay for it back in... like 2005 it was $40/year, which was fine, $400...gtho.
    All the gear and no idea.

That guy
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    It's called Google Photos.
    I can't figure out how it works, where to find the links.
    American Idle

Sneaker man
    Crap, no idea, I was sure I linked a photo to a forum to test it out the other day, but now can't figure it out for the life of me... so maybe its poo.

Sneaker man
    Does this work? I can see it... it's from Picasa, which er... came from/synced or whatever the hell is going on with google hpotos/google drive/android

Sneaker man
    and google photos

ugg...no idea...

mtbr member
    ugh.....this sucks super big time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I use Tapatalk and it takes care of image hosting for any photos I include in my posts.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My frustrations with Photobucket the last few years has already curtailed how many pics I post here. The buggiest site ever. I gave up on them a while back. It is such a bummer to loose pics from these wonderful threads, but it is what it is. Mombat missing, Oldmountainbikes missing. The internets may not be forever.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    On a side note, it is sure easy to upload to Facebook. Almost too easy.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

Maaaaan
    It's easy to upload here too...
    Why is anyone even using hosting, they do direct uploads here at MTBR...
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    maybe because they also use the pics in other places

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I'm with Eric.

I direct upload to any site I want to post a pic.

Hate stuff like, getting links to FB from a buddy, just so I can see his 5 year old riding a bike for the first time.

I already signed in to my computer, the internet, etc, I don't want to sign in again cause you were too lazy to just send me a damn pic yourself, and so some 3rd party site can mine me for my data, as well as take more of my $ annually for a problem I can solve myself with a bit of forethought.

I also don't use, or trust the cloud in any format, nor do I store pics music, etc anywhere but my own personal devices (giant external hard drives are pretty cheap).

What's with this retrogrouchy buncha folks using all this technology and being upset when it starts screwing them with it's own greed, anyway??!!

:P
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Sneaker man
    yeah but a lot of forums don't let you upload pics due to bandwith/storage issues. It's ot like when you upload to a hosting site it's gone, you stil have the original to store where you want, its just that if you want to share it anywhere else it's simple...well it was anyway.

mtbr member
    Often, the first thing I do when I rescue a vintage mountain bike is to take off the speedometer, so that I can better appreciate how it looks without spending a single dollar.

Now, I can't appreciate how other people's vintage mountain bikes look at all, because a speedometer has been affixed which costs hundreds of dollars to remove?

NO GOOD!
    T.K. Malone
    Product Manager
    myStromer AG
    e-Bike accountant by day
    "Me-bike" delinquent by night (and on weekends)

the new Gilbert Grape
    Easy solution: host your own. Web sites are relatively inexpensive. For a small monthly fee you have unlimited hosting and complete control

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    I upload to here, Eric, but I have to resize don't I? I'm so lazy, I don't like to save yet another file of the same picture.

And Ductape, you've always moved your pictures around a lot so your pictures in photobucket has been useless for ages.

It's a shame though as I've loved the picture threads and often refer back to all of the threads and scroll through them. And...well...prefer pictures to words....

Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Easy solution: host your own. Web sites are relatively inexpensive. For a small monthly fee you have unlimited hosting and complete control
    is that before v brakes?

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I'm with Eric.

I direct upload to any site I want to post a pic.

Hate stuff like, getting links to FB from a buddy, just so I can see his 5 year old riding a bike for the first time.

I already signed in to my computer, the internet, etc, I don't want to sign in again cause you were too lazy to just send me a damn pic yourself, and so some 3rd party site can mine me for my data, as well as take more of my $ annually for a problem I can solve myself with a bit of forethought.

I also don't use, or trust the cloud in any format, nor do I store pics music, etc anywhere but my own personal devices (giant external hard drives are pretty cheap).

What's with this retrogrouchy buncha folks using all this technology and being upset when it starts screwing them with it's own greed, anyway??!!

:P
    I refuse facebook on moral grounds although i have used instagram which they own.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Google worked great when they used Picasa. When they dumped that a year or so ago and replaced it with Google Photos, it became useless for sharing on forums.

My little blog is on Google's Blogger, and even that is much more difficult to use now. I directly upload there as well. Can't use Google photos on Google's blogger. Nice.

and google photos

ugg...no idea...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Seems like anything pinned to pinterest via flickr is still up.
    Looking for a P7, k14 or f12 1inch

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Google worked great when they used Picasa. When they dumped that a year or so ago and replaced it with Google Photos, it became useless for sharing on forums.

My little blog is on Google's Blogger, and even that is much more difficult to use now. I directly upload there as well. Can't use Google photos on Google's blogger. Nice.
    My experience exactly with the Picasa to G-Pic move and the PITA that is Google Blogger.

I've paid for Photobucket since 2005 ($24/yr) and I'm grandfathered in until Jan 2018....after that, all my photos will be gone. Not going to pay their ransom.
    Moving everything to Flickr.

I'd say this move has a pretty good chance of ending Photobucket for good. Whatever ad revenue from the free users and completely hosing all of the long standing paying customers who will opt to cancel...revenue will plummet.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Botofµckit !

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Sneaker man
    I don't like how flickr forces you to have linkback and if you don't it blocks you (bet hate the linkback stuff, same with tapatalk or "sent by whatever device")
    If i go to my picassa link, it sends me to "archived photos" which work easy and fine, and is part of google photos, but it's part of google photos and will surely soon go plonk.

VRC Illuminati
    I don't like how flickr forces you to have linkback and if you don't it blocks you (bet hate the linkback stuff, same with tapatalk or "sent by whatever device")
    If i go to my picassa link, it sends me to "archived photos" which work easy and fine, and is part of google photos, but it's part of google photos and will surely soon go plonk.
    It's pretty easy to strip out the linkback code. Just modify/delete the unnecessary string as I did below.

From -
    [ u r l=https://flic.kr/p/V3zMu9][ i m g]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4239/34816133404_7baad80ba3_h.jpg[ /i m g][/ u r l][url=https://flic.kr/p/V3zMu9]Untitled[/ u r l] by [u r l =https://www.flickr.com/photos/rumpfy/]Eric Rumpf[/ u r l], on Flickr
    to -
    [ i m g ]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4239/34816133404_7baad80ba3_h.jpg[ / i m g ]

Without the spaces in the "IMG" gives you this:
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Sneaker man
    yeah, i know how to do it, first thing I did when I tried it out, just that they will (may) block your account for doing it.

Fat & Single
    Damn... just looking a few threads and notice that all my pics have the Photobucket Upgrade pic on them. Now found out why !

I have 2 photobucket accounts and 10 years of forum pictures uploaded to a dozen forums, sometimes a single link was shared on 3-4 forums.

Hundreds of images, now all dead links.

Not happy.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Sneaker man
    if you put "~original" at the end of the image link right after the jpg befor the close img tage, it rehacks them into existance...

lets see

Sneaker man
    bingo! of course photobucket itself is virtually unusable... and no idea how long this hack will keep working...