Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Phase 1 Dismantle complete ...well, almost lol.

As some of you already know..I got this old 91' C'Dale hardtail with intentions on restoring to somewhat semi-original condition minus the Freaking pink decals wtf. is that all about in the early 90's on a showroom floor with Pink for a men's bike com' on now. Thats just weird.

Now for phase two...Paint and design
    already know I'm saving for a new build kit and fork w/ disk dropouts in front and running v's in the rear again.

Here it goes VRC might eat me alive for this one...but I just thought of something crazy like out of blue literally 5 minutes ago. Tie-Die dipping with black decals? anythoughts or could it be a 60's inspired C'Dale, if not then I'll do original black and non-original white decals.. Just a thought..I'd think it would look sick with tie die

oh and for the build kit I'm just gone get a cheapie 600 something kit from pricepoint or something or nother , the fork I do not know yet at least 100mm w/ disc drops..dang you people have indeed got me hooked on this expensive sport lol.

HIYAH
    Pink and early 90's are certainly not weird.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Oh yea, forgot to mention changing this to a 29er SS with low riser bars, new fork with drop outs, guess I'll throw the disc on the rear since it comes with the kit anyway.

Have decided on Powdercoat original black, with non-original white decals, it gets coated in a month or two depending on how funds go..then it's on to the build, oh btw having a shop assemble it..whats the average going rate for a shop to put together a bike because I will be moving to Raleigh in two weeks and not what people charge..guess I'll start calling around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    it would be cheaper to buy a new ride man
    sucking wind is what I do

VRC Illuminati
    Tye-Dye. When pink just won't cut it.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

mtbr member
    Kyle I know you really like this bike and it is yours and it is your money but seriously listen to texaswrench. I believe he might be onto something. I sincerely hope your kidding about all the changes.

VRC Illuminati
    I say go for it. Gold plate that turd.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I already did by a new ride a trek 3700 monday didn't any of you see my other post?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    and no I'm not kidding it's going to be a sweet ass 29er SS..this is my side project that I can blow money on because as mentioned above I did pick up a new bike monday look in Trek Forum under "My New Trek"...08' 3700 black 18" M sale price 352 or 353 can't remember, though some on this site have a lack of seriousness in me so I got the receipt to proveit..bought it from the bicycle post here in town.

mtbr member
    Your new job wouldn't have anything to do with crack would it? Just a wild guess I know but anyone that thinks they can turn an old Cdale hardtail into a 29er SS has to be at least sampling some.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle0614
    and no I'm not kidding it's going to be a sweet ass 29er SS..
    You should be showing this off in the 29er forum too. Sweet.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    Your new job wouldn't have anything to do with crack would it? Just a wild guess I know but anyone that thinks they can turn an old Cdale hardtail into a 29er SS has to be at least sampling some.
    Oh c'mon Bigwheel. You gotta be at least a little curious to see how it's going to turn out.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    well whatever you want to say but as far as I as see it, no it does not involve crack...i'm not going to say my new job because most of you will probably just laugh..and the fact is that this all aluminum frame was made when some of you were still on training wheels, makes all the worth while to gut it and turn it into something out of the ordniary which really isn't all that different because some people need to wake up and see what makes a single speed unique and effortless cruising..no brainer if you ask me "Good frame to build on, make it something good while you have it." I just will never understand why some of you people put these redicilous comments too newbies like me, let someone enjoy what they got for the love of biking..just because they can't buy a 4,000 dollar bike right away..

mtbr member
    May 2008
    and how in the hell is this not considered "frame building" wtf? do you people just pick out the tiger in the lions den and decide to move them cause they don't sound serious. "when fun excersizes turn into critisizm is what this site should be called.."

VRC Illuminati
    and no I'm not kidding it's going to be a sweet ass 29er SS..this is my side project that I can blow money on because as mentioned above I did pick up a new bike monday look in Trek Forum under "My New Trek"...08' 3700 black 18" M sale price 352 or 353 can't remember, though some on this site have a lack of seriousness in me so I got the receipt to proveit..bought it from the bicycle post here in town.

I don't believe you. Post the receipt.

What new job did you get?
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Kyle- there's a difference between hassling a noob and trying to stop someone from doing something foolish. Your exuberance is great- I wish everyone could be as excited about bikes as you. But turning your Cannondale into a 29'er singlespeed is a questionable decision at best. First off, tire clearance in the rear is an issue. You can buy a 29'er fork, but it has to be a 1" fork, and it's going to throw off the geometry of your bike, making it a poor singletracker. If you do succeed in mounting 29'er wheels, how are you going to stop? Cantilevers/V-brakes in the back won't work, and that old Cannondale doesn't have a rear disc mount. A 29'er fork will have canti studs or disc mounts. Or maybe you can just use your foot to stop, since the front wheel will probably be overlapping your foot as you pedal anyways.

What else can I address...

What do you mean about "cheapie 600 build kit"?? 600 is old Shimano stuff, and it's for road bikes. It's worth it to pay a little extra for nicer, lighter parts. LX is solid, dependable. XT is lighter, better. If you are on a budget, spend more money on lighter, stronger wheels, as these have the biggest effect on ride quality.

Um, you shouldn't change the paint. Unless you spend several hundred dollars, nothing you do will look as good as the stock paint job. And those decals are clear coated and basically one with the paint. You can't just remove them without screwing it all up. And that pink is cool man. That's what they did back then. If you aren't comfortable enough with yourself to ride a black bike with pink letters, then you should get another bike, not try to change this one, and in the process decrease it's value.

And dude, chicks dig pink. Try wearing a pink tie sometime. Or a nice pink button-down shirt. Girls notice a guy that looks good in pink.

And finally...

and the fact is that this all aluminum frame was made when some of you were still on training wheels
    Who are you talking about? I think you are the young one around here. And your Cannondale is early 90s. I don't think anyone here was on training wheels then. You were around 7-9 years old then.

makes all the worth while to gut it and turn it into something out of the ordniary
    It already is something out of the ordinary. It's an old Cannondale. Ride it like it is and people will notice you on the trail.

I just will never understand why some of you people put these redicilous comments too newbies like me, let someone enjoy what they got for the love of biking..just because they can't buy a 4,000 dollar bike right away..
    Again you accuse this forum of snobbery. Not cool. Our comments to you don't come because your bike is not at some imaginary price point. They come because your exuberance, while commendable, is honestly a little misguided right now. It's great you want to fix your Cannondale up and ride. I promise you that if you go through with your plan, you will have wasted your money. Please don't read this as a challenge- it's an honest assessment. I've worked in bike shops since I was 17. I'm 33 now. I have almost as many bikes as Stan, at about the same quality level (Stan- I think I have one for you, btw). If you want a 29'er, you would be much better off checking your local craigslist for a used one.

And there's my rant. My throat hurts. I want to go riding but it's dark and the wind is howling like demons from hell. I hate headwinds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I don't believe you. Post the receipt.

What new job did you get?

I dont beleive it either. $352 for an '08 Trek? Thats what Armstrong won the Tour de France on. Show us the receipt.

I, unlike most of the others, would love to see you turn that 'Dale into a 29er. Get out the power tools and make it happen. Thats what its all about.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

Yup !

Quote Originally Posted by djmuff
    Kyle- there's a difference between hassling a noob and trying to stop someone from doing something foolish. Your exuberance is great- I wish everyone could be as excited about bikes as you. But turning your Cannondale into a 29'er singlespeed is a questionable decision at best. First off, tire clearance in the rear is an issue. You can buy a 29'er fork, but it has to be a 1" fork, and it's going to throw off the geometry of your bike, making it a poor singletracker. If you do succeed in mounting 29'er wheels, how are you going to stop? Cantilevers/V-brakes in the back won't work, and that old Cannondale doesn't have a rear disc mount. A 29'er fork will have canti studs or disc mounts. Or maybe you can just use your foot to stop, since the front wheel will probably be overlapping your foot as you pedal anyways.
    What else can I address...
    What do you mean about "cheapie 600 build kit"?? 600 is old Shimano stuff, and it's for road bikes. It's worth it to pay a little extra for nicer, lighter parts. LX is solid, dependable. XT is lighter, better. If you are on a budget, spend more money on lighter, stronger wheels, as these have the biggest effect on ride quality.
    Um, you shouldn't change the paint. Unless you spend several hundred dollars, nothing you do will look as good as the stock paint job. And those decals are clear coated and basically one with the paint. You can't just remove them without screwing it all up. And that pink is cool man. That's what they did back then. If you aren't comfortable enough with yourself to ride a black bike with pink letters, then you should get another bike, not try to change this one, and in the process decrease it's value.
    And dude, chicks dig pink. Try wearing a pink tie sometime. Or a nice pink button-down shirt. Girls notice a guy that looks good in pink.
    And finally...
    Who are you talking about? I think you are the young one around here. And your Cannondale is early 90s. I don't think anyone here was on training wheels then. You were around 7-9 years old then.
    It already is something out of the ordinary. It's an old Cannondale. Ride it like it is and people will notice you on the trail.
    Again you accuse this forum of snobbery. Not cool. Our comments to you don't come because your bike is not at some imaginary price point. They come because your exuberance, while commendable, is honestly a little misguided right now. It's great you want to fix your Cannondale up and ride. I promise you that if you go through with your plan, you will have wasted your money. Please don't read this as a challenge- it's an honest assessment. I've worked in bike shops since I was 17. I'm 33 now. I have almost as many bikes as Stan, at about the same quality level (Stan- I think I have one for you, btw). If you want a 29'er, you would be much better off checking your local craigslist for a used one.
    Well said DJ..I hope he listens.

Kyle, We are not trying to discourage you, just giving you sound advice from years of experience. What you are doing could end up making you more discouraged and turn you away from a great sport and hobby.
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

HIYAH
    I already did by a new ride a trek 3700 monday didn't any of you see my other post?

Of course...I read all of your posts.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    and how in the hell is this not considered "frame building" wtf? do you people just pick out the tiger in the lions den and decide to move them cause they don't sound serious. "when fun excersizes turn into critisizm is what this site should be called.."
    I'll step lightly, as I have no desire to stir the flames here. Frame building, you aren't doing. That would be, taking a bunch of tubes, mitering them, fitting them, then welding, or brazing them into place. Semantics? No. You are retrofitting, modifying, whatever you want to call it, but you aren't building a frame. Perhaps other industries wordings might allow for that interpretation, but it's not what bikers would call "building". Now I haven't made any comments here, positive, or negative, but I think most will agree that I don't tend to go around beating on folks, I'm a nice guy, as are DJMuff and Stan (I mention these two only since they've addressed your thoughts, trying to make it right without being testy). If you want to spend a ton of money on this, go for it, but know that everything DJ said, is true, I've got 6 years on him, been working in shops since I was 15, and I see this sort of thing a few times a year. There are a number of things about the bike that are not current, which make putting current stuff on, rather tough, (read, expensive, and bordering on impossible without creating a dangerous bike) like, different size head/steerer tubes, no disc mounts on the back, frame tolerances not built for 29er wheels, etc. Now, if you wanted to do a 69er, and have a very slack HTA, with a disc in the front, it might be possible, but yes, some here will have some fun at your expense, but others won't. Most here are interested in finding and or maintaining older bikes, and "Monster Garaging" them, chafes their retro sensibilities. Which doesn't mean they wouldn't put a set of Suntour Power Cams on a bike that originally had Campy Euclid U brakes, but they'd think long and hard about the implications before they did. What your proposing is, to their eyes, like being the well heeled Florida family, moving into an upstate NY conservative white clapboard house community, and painting your house pink with purple shutters, since that's what they do in Miami. Not wrong, but it's bound to raise a few eyebrows Keep the enthusiasm and have fun, just ignore those who don't act nicely, but heed the words of those who seem to be trying to help you. Freaking out and getting all hot and bothered is just what they want. It's a sport for some.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    All I have to add is that Cannondale aluminum is REALLY thin and hard to work with even on its first welding. In fact, many of that generation frame broke because Cannondale was pushing the limits of how thin aluminum could be.

Cutting and re-welding it is going to prove challenging at best, lethal at worst.

What you are proposing would be MUCH easier on a steel frame.

mtbr member
    Kyle, skip the 29er, and go straight to a 30.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4000fps
    Kyle, skip the 29er, and go straight to a 30.
    I want to see the tie-die 29er first!

Kyle - don't be discouraged by all these young guys with their $5000 bikes. What do they know about old Cannondales? Go for it dude - it'll be sweet!
    B.O.T.M Winner - www.retrobike.co.uk

WTD: XL Attitude Fuselage

20" Yeti FRO & Accutax to Trade

I...

Um...

But..

Uhh..

I cant. I'm out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The trollometer is redlining....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast