mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Peugeot Hurricane

I bet you dont see these every day.
    Its a 1989 genuine made in France Peugeot Hurricane, third in line from the top model the Europe Express.
    It features a Reynolds 531 frame.
    Tange fork.
    Mavic wheels.
    Shimano LX500 groupset.
    The tyres are NOS Ritchey speedmax's but I'll be using Michelin slicks most of the time.

Fitted with Michelin Advanced wild run'r 1.1 tyres only 200grams each these make it a speed machine on the pavement.

mtbr member
    nice condition. The paint reminds me of the traditional Ibis colors. Are those Mavic Oxygen rims?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks both, They are oxygen rims.
    I thought people might be interested in something different because I dont think anything like this made it to North America.
    Most Peugoet bikes except high end road bikes were made by a Canadian builder from inhouse lower grade frame tubing for the North American market only and they did'nt make proper MTB's but more hybrid like bikes.
    I,m in Australia, here all bikes were imported from France. Are'nt I lucky

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    That's a very pretty bike, but I'm not sure you're right on the year, I think 500LX was first available in 1990/91. Also, as I'm sure you are aware the cantilevers are not correct.

My very first mountain bike was a Reynolds 501 tubed Peugeot Atlas, which I bought new in 1988. Sadly it was stolen about six months after I bought it, but not before I caught the MTB bug.

Last edited by mechagouki; 11-23-2011 at 06:20 AM.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I like old brochures and you could be right with the year for 1990, from my info the Hurricane model was only around 89-90 I was'nt sure which.
    A good eye on the brakes. I have the complete original brake assembly the lever/ shifters were LX but chewed by a dog the ones fitted are NOS 1994 LX and far better.
    The canti arms are also NOS and were dirt cheap so got them.
    The original seats in great nic but ugly and had a selle italia even the original tyres have good tread but the gum walls are perishing. I'm sure I took them off for the first time.
    Shame about you Atlas hope you still have good memories of it.
    Here's another brochure, not my bike but cool and would like to make a poster of it.

mtbr member
    There are quite a old few Peugot mtbs used around the city of Edinburgh as commuters, they are a bit more rusty than your one!, seem to have lasted well, along with Marins,
    There was a dealer here for them,
    I have a 86 triathlon peugot, main colur is white, there was a mtb with same colours
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    This thread is making me nostagic, which in my experience can be expensive. Below is the top of the UK range from 1988, I'd love to get my hands on one of these. The catalog writers were clearly not afraid of hyperbole.

I can't find a 1990 MTB catalogue, but the bike below, 3rd from top of the UK road line in 1990 has the same paint (and frame tubing) as the OP's bike:

Last edited by mechagouki; 11-27-2011 at 06:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Peugeot seems to have a difficult history to trace its all over the place being made in different country's for different markets. They seem to have sold well in the UK because I can find them for sale easy there.
    I have seen a Montana in dark grey with all XT sell recently here in Aust. as good or better condition than mine around the $500 mark also a guy here has the pictured Altus road bike but here it was called a Lzoard.

This link has good info but dosent tell the whole picture ?

http://retropeugeot.com/

I just ordered two NOS items a 110mm 3ttt stem, looks the same but down from 130mm and Scott Pederson canti brake arms. All period offcourse.

Last edited by jbchybridrider; 11-28-2011 at 03:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Thank you so much for the pics. Peugeot Hurricane was my first mountain bike. Exage 500LX, Wolber tyres, so many memorys...
    Funkyzeit!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That's a nice looking Peugeot. I commute daily on a Canyon Express. It's a Japanese lugged frame with ishiwate 022 tubing and makes for a great ride.

mtbr member
    "The most magnificent professional ATB ever produced" Really??? Gotta love those catalog script writers.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126 View Post
    "The most magnificent professional ATB ever produced" Really??? Gotta love those catalog script writers.
    Seriously! The marketplace was pretty small in the UK back then, when I went to buy my Peugeot I had a choice between a Rockhopper, a Shogun something or other or a Celeste green Bianchi, something led me to the Peugeot. It differed from catalogue spec insofar as it had Shimano cranks with Biopace rings - that was probably what sealed the deal

mtbr member
    a beauty indeed

Comfortably Dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by jbchybridrider View Post
    I bet you dont see these every day.
    Its a 1989 genuine made in France Peugeot Hurricane, third in line from the top model the Europe Express

Did it rock you like Hurricane?
    They had to replace my metal plate with a plastic one

mtbr member
    Pretty sure it was this bike I saw at TDU today near the start finish line. looked awesome.
    Rockin it Fixed On my Iron Horse In Adelaide ,South Australia

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...17#post8293017

mtbr member
    very cool old bike !!!! love thst color scheme ,and the stance of the bike .

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin machine View Post
    very cool old bike !!!! love thst color scheme ,and the stance of the bike .
    Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by brauluver View Post
    Pretty sure it was this bike I saw at TDU today near the start finish line. looked awesome.
    What are the chance's of another in Adelaide G,day mate sure had to be mine was cruzin up to the start finish slowly, perfect bike in a crowd. I was actually all over the place darting from one side of the course to the other seeing them go by twice a lap. Met a guy from France that sells them back home, was very surprised to see it and had a load of questions.
    Even did a quick lap of the course straight after the presentations.