Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    58

    period correct saddle options for '90 mb1

    Hello all, I know everyones backside/preference is different when it comes to saddle comfort level, but my arse is making a big stink about this avocet racing i, lol. Looking for a period correct saddle for my '90 mb1; i find the '88 spesh lambda and early avocet m30 gelflex tolerable. I've never tried a flite, turbo or concors. Any suggestions/comments along with a pic /would be appreciated/helpful since there seems to be variances of the gelflex year to year for example. Period correct, I tell ya...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,635
    As far as Avocet, their 02 air, gelflex, or touring saddles have more give than their racing.
    Can't go wrong with a Brooks.
    Round and round we go

  3. #3
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,234
    Despite their minimalistic look, I've always found the Flite Ti to be the most comfortable saddle I've used.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  4. #4
    ...
    Reputation: ameybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,399
    Selle Italia Turbo


    Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy



  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,702
    Period correct would be Turbo. I like Flites too, but didn't they came out in '91?
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

  6. #6
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
    Period correct would be Turbo. I like Flites too, but didn't they came out in '91?
    According to Selle Italia, the Flite came out in 1990
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  7. #7
    Air Pirate
    Reputation: Bokchoicowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,015
    Throw a Brooks B-17 on there. It was certainly sold and used during that time period and it will be a very comfortable saddle, once broken in. Perhaps you should ping Grant Peterson over at Rivendell on what he thinks you should put on that MB-1...I'm pretty sure he is familiar with that bike....
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    58
    Grant might know something about mb1 Thx for all the input thus far, always been curious about the flite saddles. Never gave them a chance though since they looked as narrow as my old SDG Ti Kevlar saddle, which was painful as well.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mainlyfats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    995
    Flites are great saddles, very comfortable. I've never had any luck with Turbos comfort-wise. If you're tall - especially on a bike from the era - a Brooks may screw up your saddle-to-bars length.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    Flites are great saddles, very comfortable. I've never had any luck with Turbos comfort-wise. If you're tall - especially on a bike from the era - a Brooks may screw up your saddle-to-bars length.
    Yeah, I have a long torso that's what I found. I like the B-17, but the rails set it further forward than other saddles. I took it off my bridgestone, and put the avocet back on.

  11. #11
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16,877
    Quote Originally Posted by dolefee View Post
    Hello all, I know everyones backside/preference is different when it comes to saddle comfort level, but my arse is making a big stink about this avocet racing i, lol. Looking for a period correct saddle for my '90 mb1; i find the '88 spesh lambda and early avocet m30 gelflex tolerable. I've never tried a flite, turbo or concors. Any suggestions/comments along with a pic /would be appreciated/helpful since there seems to be variances of the gelflex year to year for example. Period correct, I tell ya...
    If the Avocet Racing (I, II, or III) is giving you a bad time, the Turbo won't be much better. Flite probably even less comfortable still.

    That said, the Avocet Racing and Selle Italia Turbo saddles are a couple of my favorites. I've used Flites since the early 90's and enjoy them as well....so like you said, different for everyone.


    I know FatMikeyNYC uses these and likes them quite a bit:
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mainlyfats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    995
    Avocets - Racing/Touring # vintage - are nice; less pimp somehow to my eye than Turbos. Nothing says pro like a vintage Unicanitor... Ne plus ultra of hardman/retrogrouch saddles IMHO.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mainlyfats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    995
    Rumpfy don't joke... I'm rocking a Specialized "comfort" saddle on my commuter these days. #oldass

    Specialized Milano Sport Gel Saddle Reviews

  14. #14
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,551
    Turbos are narrow. For long hours in the saddle my favourite is the san marco regal. the old original.. the reissue is flat and feels different. Flites are nice for short time, intense effort on mtbs cause it makes easy to move the bike around..
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

  15. #15
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Now that's funny right there I don't care who you are
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post

    Sorry, my mb-1 isnt tandem, j/k. I'm afraid to pull the trigger on the Turbo or Flite. I might have to keep an eye out on a Vetta Gel or Avocet Gelflex. Funny how my Spesh Lambda is comfy to me, while the Avocet Racing I, though similar, isn't quite comfy.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mainlyfats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by dolefee View Post
    I might have to keep an eye out on a Vetta Gel or Avocet Gelflex.
    Period correct lycra tops? Vetta anything without irony? No, son. Just no.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    58
    "Might" was the key word, lol. Scratch that idea, as I've mentioned earlier, I've always been curious about the Flite saddle, I may just go that route. Thx for all the input...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mainlyfats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    According to Selle Italia, the Flite came out in 1990
    MOMBAT says 1991. I put one on my 1990 Fat Chance Team Comp because I remember buying a Flite the minute it entered the shop all those years ago and - coming down to a matter of months - I erred on the side of my a$$.
    Last edited by mainlyfats; 04-29-2013 at 11:39 PM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tductape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,129
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Turbos are narrow. For long hours in the saddle my favourite is the san marco regal. the old original.. the reissue is flat and feels different. Flites are nice for short time, intense effort on mtbs cause it makes easy to move the bike around..
    Regals are horrible, stay away from them.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    58
    Anyone have any experience with the San Marco Concor Supercosa?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    58
    Btw, can someone explain to me why there are some flite titanium saddles listed on fleabay with a 87 stampdate when mombat has it for 91? Sorry for the rookie questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    MOMBAT says 1991. I put one on my 1990 Fat Chance Team Comp because I remember buying a Flite the minute it entered the shop all those years ago and - coming down to a metter of months - I erred on the side of my a$$.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    922

    period correct saddle options for '90 mb1

    Flites are the best. I am still ridin them to this day. I never liked concors. They never fit my underside. Regals were nice and always looked so classy but I had a hard time riding them once the Flites came out. I remember I bought myself a Flite for Xmas my senior year of high school in 1990 and they were brand new. I got the first one that was
    Available to the shop.

  24. #24
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,516
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    I erred on the side of my a$$.
    My sentiments as well especially since it's not my ass that hurts.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by dolefee View Post
    Btw, can someone explain to me why there are some flite titanium saddles listed on fleabay with a 87 stampdate when mombat has it for 91? Sorry for the rookie questions...
    Where? They definitely didn't exist in '87.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Saddle options for the wide hyneied Clyde
    By hokihigh in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 07:22 PM
  2. Period Correct Mods
    By CS2 in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 10:55 PM
  3. am tyre rocky descents? small saddle bag options?
    By hazylogic in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 05:44 AM
  4. looking for period correct seatpost
    By dolefee in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-29-2011, 09:48 AM
  5. Need advice: wanting to buildup(period correct) a 92 rascal
    By dolefee in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •